Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
hi im new here and this is my first post pls dont yell at me

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE DARK TOWER BOOKS

so the dark tower series -- which is kind of the connecting hub of all Stephen King's books, even if the connections are small -- ends with main character Roland reaching the dark tower and getting to the top and it's just a big reset, sending him back to the beginning of his quest.

The problem is he didn't have a magical thing called the Horn of Eld because he lost it on a battlefield when he was young. So he couldn't blow it when he reached the tower and it hosed up his quest.

the books end with him back where he started but with one key difference -- he has the horn this time for some reason. I guess it was king's way to give the reader hope that maybe this time things will be different for roland.

the upcoming movies aren't an adaption. The filmmakers say they're a continuation of the story -- starting with roland reset to the beginning of his quest and he has his horn and everything.

these movies are going to be the real ending to stephen king's dark tower books, which is good because he doesn't know how to end books

talk about the dark tower books and the movies in this thread and how stephen king is the best writer ever or an absolute hack or whatever.

also yes i am a fat retarded virgin why do you ask??

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How was the first book so good and the rest so bad? I hope they deviate from the series A LOT, which it sounds like they will.

That said, Idris Elba as Roland :swoon:

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 2, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A misanthrope posted:

which is good because he doesn't know how to end books

Amen to that. Stephen King's "you will never know the real answer to the mystery but here's what the characters think the answer is!" schtick got old a long time ago.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

A misanthrope posted:

hi im new here and this is my first post pls dont yell at me

so the dark tower series ends with roland reaching the dark tower and getting to the top and it's just a big reset, sending him back to the beginning of his quest. the problem is he didn't have a magical thing called the Horn of Eld because he lost it on a battlefield when he was young. so he couldn't blow it when he reached the tower and it hosed up his quest.

the books end with him back where he started but with one key difference -- he has the horn this time for some reason. i guess it was king's way to give the reader hope that maybe this time things will be different for roland.

the upcoming movies aren't an adaption. the filmmakers say they're a continuation of the story -- starting with roland reset to the beginning of his quest and he has his horn and everything.

these movies are going to be the real ending to stephen king's dark tower books, which is good because he doesn't know how to end books

talk about the dark tower books and the movies in this thread and how stephen king is the best author of all time.

also yes i am a fat retarded virgin why do you ask??

Whoa! Should spoiler tag this whole OP, OP. And should also mention "56k get out" in the thread title too IMO

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

How was the first book so good and the rest so bad? I hope they deviate from the series A LOT.

i thought the first three were great and then it turns into a real poo poo show for sure

and yeah it's perfect casting. watch him talk about roland's accent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjRGD1886P0

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
did the tower turn roland into a black dude? is that why it's called the dark tower?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

Whoa! Should spoiler tag this whole OP, OP. And should also mention "56k get out" in the thread title too IMO

i told you i was new i never even heard of this place before whats's a goatse anyway?

you crazy gooms

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pawn 17 posted:

How was the first book so good and the rest so bad? I hope they deviate from the series A LOT.

One of those motherfuckers is just a flashback. The whole book. It starts with Roland being all "hey let me tell a story" and then there's a couple pages at the back wrapping up the big cliffhanger predicament the book started with them in, and the rest is just a big dumb flashback. Here let me save you the trouble: the only cool part is he blinds a dude with a bird.

Idris Elba is looking loving dope though, extremely good choice. Not sure about the man in black, but Elba's gonna poo poo all over this thing.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

A misanthrope posted:

i told you i was new i never even heard of this place before whats's a goatse anyway?

you crazy gooms

Yeah, Uh, I'm pretty new here too. I just found this site a few weeks ago

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i'm so loving hard for matthew mcconaughey as the man in black that my trouser-tent is passing from "social embarrassment" to "medical concern"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey I'm gonna write every Stephen king book ever and call it "the lost boys" :drac:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Das Butterbrot posted:

did the tower turn roland into a black dude? is that why it's called the dark tower?

if its a choice between roland being idris elba and roland looking like stephen king, which would you prefer?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Amen to that. Stephen King's "you will never know the real answer to the mystery but here's what the characters think the answer is!" schtick got old a long time ago.

:agreed:

still, at least he didn't end the dark tower books with a preteen gangbang in a sewer

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A misanthrope posted:

if its a choice between roland being idris elba and roland looking like stephen king, which would you prefer?

Whoa is it a cyoa? :v:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

didn't read a word, op, but do you happen to be a fat retarded virgin?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

didn't read a word, op, but do you happen to be a fat retarded virgin?

yes i have down syndrome + diabetes and the gout

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
man the dark tower book series is the exact definition of a book series that "sounds actually kind of cool but would actually be stupid as gently caress to spend any amount of time reading"

So I am happy they are making a movie.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

A misanthrope posted:

yes i have down syndrome + diabetes and the gout

excellent. see you at home

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
It's way far up the chain with such esteemed series as "Dune" and "A Song of Fire and Ice" in terms of things I'd rather have people act out in front of me rather than read

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

luv 2 date boys posted:

man the dark tower book series is the exact definition of a book series that "sounds actually kind of cool but would actually be stupid as gently caress to spend any amount of time reading"

I feel this way about Stephen King in general. His books have real cool concepts but reading them makes me sad. Meanwhile, the movies based on his books are usually pretty good and do not make me sad.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

i can't read

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

luv 2 date boys posted:

its a big, glorious mess. like all of king's writing, some of it is the most imaginative and exciting and heartbreaking poo poo you could ever read but then robots that look like doctor doom ride out of the cornfields and throw exploding sneetches at people

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Whoa is it a cyoa? :v:

uh oh you picked the stephen king roland

you got hit by a car and now that is all you talk about. game over :(

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah Dark Tower is a total mess but it's got some fantastic ideas and characters. On the whole I don't regret reading it. Not even lightsaber wielding Dr doom.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

A misanthrope posted:

its a big, glorious mess. like all of king's writing, some of it is the most imaginative and exciting and heartbreaking poo poo you could ever read but then robots that look like doctor doom ride out of the cornfields and throw exploding sneetches at people

I tend to agree with you here. I'm a fan of king's works and all, but I've always appreciated what people do with his works in film and tv.

Sure I've read "It" and "The Shining" and they were good. The movies brought it to life in a way King never really did in his books. They deviated from the story, sure, but they took it in another direction that he even did in the original stories. For example, I loved the movie ending to "The Mist" way more than the book ending, and I think it's a great example of a writer or artist having his/her legacy bolstered by the derivatives of his/her works.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

What will the crazy black girl who is afraid of white guys hate now that roland is black?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Das Butterbrot posted:

There's a dick joke in there somewhere

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Razakai posted:

Yeah Dark Tower is a total mess but it's got some fantastic ideas and characters. On the whole I don't regret reading it. Not even lightsaber wielding Dr doom.

that's why it's smart this this is a continuation instead of an adaption. nerds complain when adaptions aren't 100% faithful -- even down to the retarded dr doom bots. but with this the filmmakers can go "hey it's a new timeline things are going slightly differently"

i hope they keep Oy and Father Callahan. I still think it's cool as poo poo that the priest from Jerusalem's Lot becomes a main character and kills the poo poo out of some vampires

also Oy won't die. he can't die it wont happen this time oh god :cry:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Hopefully the lawyers will veto all the Harry Potter poo poo with extreme prejudice too.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Universe Master posted:

What will the crazy black girl who is afraid of white guys hate now that roland is black?

i saw reddit racist dudes were trying to say changing roland's race means changing some kind of major character dynamic, but odetta's "honkey mahfah" kill whitey poo poo wasn't that big of a part of the story anyway. maybe now she can start a BLM movement with Roland and they will feed Eddie to the lobstrosities

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A misanthrope posted:

uh oh you picked the stephen king roland

you got hit by a car and now that is all you talk about. game over :(

I think you're thinking of that book "misery" where that guy just goes "ohhhhh it's misery!" the whole time. :v:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

A misanthrope posted:

but odetta's "honkey mahfah" kill whitey poo poo wasn't that big of a part of the story anyway.

Oh yeah, that's another part that will hopefully gently caress right off

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

Hopefully the lawyers will veto all the Harry Potter poo poo with extreme prejudice too.

the only way they wouldn't is if the same film studio owns rights to both properties -- and Harry Potter is Warner Bros. and Dark Tower is Columbia Pictures. Dumb Harry Potter poo poo is going out the window for sure.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think you're thinking of that book "misery" where that guy just goes "ohhhhh it's misery!" the whole time. :v:

See? He was slipping that loving accident into his fiction before it even happened

btw, Misery is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Talk about an adaption that blows the source material away

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i can't read

The audiobooks are REALLY good.

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's a dick joke in there somewhere

My Rorschach results attest otherwise :bigtran:
After all, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a Dark Tower is just a fully erect cigar. :clint:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

luv 2 date boys posted:

I tend to agree with you here. I'm a fan of king's works and all, but I've always appreciated what people do with his works in film and tv.

Sure I've read "It" and "The Shining" and they were good. The movies brought it to life in a way King never really did in his books. They deviated from the story, sure, but they took it in another direction that he even did in the original stories. For example, I loved the movie ending to "The Mist" way more than the book ending, and I think it's a great example of a writer or artist having his/her legacy bolstered by the derivatives of his/her works.

what a coincidence! this is the second time i've posted this gif in GBS today

the mist is so loving good. love that uplifting ending and so does King. it's one of the rare times he admitted a movie change made to one of his stories was actually better than what he came up with. also, everyone left the theater in such a good mood! real feel-good moment of the summer. if you guys haven't seen it don't read any spoilers. just grab your parents and your kids and your spouse and sit down for some heartwarming family entertainment

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 2, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Omg these towers are so... dark. :spooky:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

So is that Balazar or Sayre?

The problem with a TV series is that they'll lose how loving weird and self-referential the writing was, and the sense that all of the characters stepped out of reality when they left their real lives

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

The British version did a pretty odd rendition but it somehow worked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

it's one of the rare times he admitted a movie change made to one of his stories was actually better than what he came up with

What? King is such a gushing fanboy of any movie based on his stuff that I find this weird... as far as I remember the only movie he didn't like was The Shining, and that's the best one

Anyway, really excited about IE being Roland, I have every confidence in MM doing a good job even though his character looks lovely

• Locked thread