Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

MisterBibs posted:

Also, why the hell are all the TIE fighters overly blue? Something to do with the now-outdated composting effects?

Optical printing is way tougher to finesse compared to digital compositing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_printer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pingiivi posted:

Optical printing is way tougher to finesse compared to digital compositing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_printer

I've used an optical printer before. Slowing down my footage by 50% took me 8 hours.

Granted, most professional companies would have done extensive footage tests.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MisterBibs posted:

It's not often mentioned in the design documents, but the back-left foot of the AT-AT has a stick that comes from the ground underneath it in order to make it fall down.

Also, why the hell are all the TIE fighters overly blue? Something to do with the now-outdated composting effects?

I seem to remember that originally TIEs were supposed to be, well, blue and not grey. However, this meant they flat out didn't show up in the film due to CGI fuckery so grey it was.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

I seem to remember that originally TIEs were supposed to be, well, blue and not grey.

They were grey in the original A New Hope, doesn't have anything to do with CGI.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Dec 19, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Requesting the smarmy smirk and shrug from Han, please?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

I prefer the guy that makes fun of this donk

https://vine.co/JachKing

dumb. has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Dec 20, 2015

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

VendaGoat posted:

Requesting the smarmy smirk and shrug from Han, please?

Kramjacks posted:

Is that Steve-O?
Yup.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Is that Steve-O?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Defective Lightsabre, or do they have a Safety setting? :tinfoil:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

"I know" :wink:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
I still hate Lucas for putting young Anakin in this shot after episode III.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zanael posted:

I still hate Lucas for putting young Anakin in this shot after episode III.

Remember, it was for the next generation.

So, if you are an old like me, and based on your response I bet you are, remember, it was ment for those younger then us.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

VendaGoat posted:

So, if you are an old like me, and based on your response I bet you are, remember, it was ment for those younger then us.

Yeah, but, no one knew what Vader looked like until 5 minutes before that scene, and he still looks like that in the most current edition. Even if it pisses off kids who can't remember 5-minutes-ago-vader, it was the last movie at the time. Money's in the bank.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

Yeah, but, no one knew what Vader looked like until 5 minutes before that scene, and he still looks like that in the most current edition. Even if it pisses off kids who can't remember 5-minutes-ago-vader, it was the last movie at the time. Money's in the bank.

I agree with you.

Now, imagine the first Star Wars movie you saw was episode one.

You became interested in the series, grew up with it and so on and so forth. If you did, you know vader as (shudder) Annie.

Breaker of Natilie Portman's heart.

Dude, I agree with you and the rest, if you have an old Ben kenobi there, you should have an old Anakin Skywalker.

But, new things are made for new people. That's.....

:negative: part of getting older.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

in what way is rejiggering all the special effects for a movie from 20 years ago "something new"? quit being 25

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

VendaGoat posted:

I agree with you.

Now, imagine the first Star Wars movie you saw was episode one.

You became interested in the series, grew up with it and so on and so forth. If you did, you know vader as (shudder) Annie.

Breaker of Natilie Portman's heart.

Dude, I agree with you and the rest, if you have an old Ben kenobi there, you should have an old Anakin Skywalker.

But, new things are made for new people. That's.....

:negative: part of getting older.

If you really wanna feel old, put me at age 5 watching Phantom Menace in theaters. However, I had seen the beginning of A New Hope on the unbastardized VHS copies my parents had. But, I say beginning because I never got past Tatooine because I always got bored. And Ep 1 bored the poo poo out of me as well. I was confused and knew I was missing out on something that made it all clicked, both for 1 and 4. And the cycle repeated came Ep 2. I didn't know what the gently caress, and as a result, until I was like 16 I thought Star Wars was an 'other people' thing. Also, I always knew Anakin was going to be Vader because how do you not know 'Luke, I am your Father' as a pop cultural landmark, and a mother who was more than loose lipped on the overarching storyline. As far as I was concerned, the only cool things from Star Wars was, 1) Lightsabers, and, 2) The N64 podracing game.

On friday, I was pissed off cause that should of been the Star Wars I grew up with. Not the 'I hate Sand' bullshit going on.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

On friday, I was pissed off cause that should of been the Star Wars I grew up with. Not the 'I hate Sand' bullshit going on.

Oh...:cripes: how we have failed you.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I like how instead of actually doing an effect they just have the elves stand still, which they can't quite do.

The "statue" in the scene in Team America where Kim Jong Il sings to himself about how bad he feels for himself is a dude they painted brown, you can even see him sway and he screws up and blinks near the end.

At 1 minute 20 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^ wow, I had not noticed that

VendaGoat posted:

At least those kids who managed to make it through all the dialogue about trade disputes, taxes, politics, and both bouts of I KILLED THEM ALL AND NOT JUST THE MEN BUT THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

duz posted:

They don't have the home video rights to the original trilogy, Fox has it for like 20 more years. Disney may try to buy them out, but haha.

Article I read said Lucas has it until 2020, but Fox has it forever.

What the gently caress are these things?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

rydiafan posted:

What the gently caress are these things?

You'll have to ask Rick Springfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLnu8SzOGfs

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This shot is just... just so freaking good. Whoever thought up this shot, even if it's Lucas, deserves such a pat on the back for it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think this is cool and great and I just can't imagine how you would teach a cat to spend time running in its wheel instead of being the lazy shitheel it was born to be.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

http://i.imgur.com/Z3Vtln2.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/bMznpIo.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/dz6XhB3.gifv

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

I think she deserved it .

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If you really wanna feel old, put me at age 5 watching Phantom Menace in theaters.

You could've just stopped right there.

quote:

Your generation and mine shall band together and storm Skywalker Ranch to avenge this atrocity.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Is this in Wieliczka?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Groda posted:

Is this in Wieliczka?

Yeah, where is this and how did they get away with something so awesome?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yep, Wieliczka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwna0QSnqs

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

This shot is just... just so freaking good. Whoever thought up this shot, even if it's Lucas, deserves such a pat on the back for it.

I watched this on Friday with my 10 year old before we headed to see episode 7. RotJ was never my favorite Star Wars and 30 years hasn't helped it any. But that scene - especially when they burst from the claustrophobic Death Star into open space with the Rebel fleet off to the distance. That was the highlight of the film to me. I can't even imagine how complex that must have been to pull off before everything was CGI.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bTbVbe4e4

:catstare: