Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Granted the only other Google app I use is Maps, but even then I don't see blatant ads like in Gmail. At least not any that stick out to me, I just may be glossing over them since they don't stick out as much as in the Gmail app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

It totally does!

Here's the actual image:

Thanks, the thumbnail gets cropped to 3:4 I guess, so no more imgbb

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Granted the only other Google app I use is Maps, but even then I don't see blatant ads like in Gmail. At least not any that stick out to me, I just may be glossing over them since they don't stick out as much as in the Gmail app.

Maps is the only Google app I can think of where the ads are prominent and obvious aside from search. Because I disable GMail's categories and keep my inbox empty I've never known there were ads there but it certainly isn't surprising.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ola posted:

Thanks, the thumbnail gets cropped to 3:4 I guess, so no more imgbb

Just use bbcode full link and then change the img tags to timg if the pic is big, that picture you quoted is still hosted on imgbb after all

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Just use bbcode full link and then change the img tags to timg if the pic is big, that picture you quoted is still hosted on imgbb after all

Oh sure, it's just their upload interface doesn't supply the direct link, I just phone posted one of their choices. Instead you have to spend time digging it out, copy image url etc, which is annoying and others might not require.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Imgur is easy enough.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Maps is the only Google app I can think of where the ads are prominent and obvious aside from search.

YouTube, if you don't have Red. And the Play Store.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Moey posted:

Imgur is easy enough.

Do you use an app with them? The old app I used to use no longer works and I have a hell of a time getting the website to work on mobile.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Uthor posted:

Do you use an app with them? The old app I used to use no longer works and I have a hell of a time getting the website to work on mobile.

Yeah, the mobile website made me cave and get the app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

The official Imgur app works just fine and I've been using it for ages.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The official Imgur app works just fine and I've been using it for ages.

K. I don't remember what its issue was like five years ago, so I'll try it again.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uthor posted:

You can go to imgur.com/upload on mobile

Still a pain in the rear end to get the links tho

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Use the official imgur app. After it uploads tap "view", it will change to the direct image instead of an over view page. Long press the picture and choose "share direct link". Using the share button before you tap the green view button will give you the over view url and not the direct link.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Awful app has embedded imgur now that's very easy to use

[bb] > insert imgur

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Blue Train posted:

You can go to imgur.com/upload on mobile

Still a pain in the rear end to get the links tho

Upload Image, long press on resulting image, open in new tab, grab direct link from new tab. Same process I use on desktop. Not difficult at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://postimages.org/ does what I want. Upload file, copy direct link.

Thumbnail check:

E: haha their image landing page sucks, but at least it's just one click to get the direct link for timg.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dude just use Imgur.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dude just use Imgur.

I know what imgur is, I'm trying to find I found something that doesn't suck.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ola posted:

E: haha their image landing page sucks, but at least it's just one click to get the direct link for timg.

TIMG is useless if your thumbnail is also a link back to the image host.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You could remove the url bit and have it work but at that point it's becoming more work

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

TIMG is useless if your thumbnail is also a link back to the image host.

Sigh, I'm being grilled by a panel in an image host hearing. I swear it's a misunderstanding, internet senator. *fiddles with microphone* I said "at least it's just one click to get the direct link for timg", meaning that it's just one click to get the full, direct link once you've uploaded from mobile, using a mobile browser instead of a dedicated app, on the post images dot org internet service. This is then pasted into the Awful app with [bb] -> Insert image, check thumbnail.

The old school variant with a linked thumbnail was just for testing. It uses less bandwidth but you have to open the pic in a different app, so it's better to use timg. We have the bandwidth to spare. All of this to replace Imgur, which I find annoying to use on mobile, particularly as they're getting more aggressive about dragging your views onto their ads.

Any further questions?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Yes let's discuss your ineptitude for another page or so

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ola posted:

Sigh, I'm being grilled by a panel in an image host hearing. I swear it's a misunderstanding, internet senator. *fiddles with microphone* I said "at least it's just one click to get the direct link for timg", meaning that it's just one click to get the full, direct link once you've uploaded from mobile, using a mobile browser instead of a dedicated app, on the post images dot org internet service. This is then pasted into the Awful app with [bb] -> Insert image, check thumbnail.

The old school variant with a linked thumbnail was just for testing. It uses less bandwidth but you have to open the pic in a different app, so it's better to use timg. We have the bandwidth to spare. All of this to replace Imgur, which I find annoying to use on mobile, particularly as they're getting more aggressive about dragging your views onto their ads.

Any further questions?

I agree with most of what you've said here but if you're using the app anyway you can just do bb->insert imgur and it will upload it and insert the link with tags and is much faster than using any image host through the browser, and you don't have to deal with imgurs garbo website or app

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah seriously use the Awful app's embedded imgur feature, it's everything you need.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh right, yes well *sweats, whispers with lawyer* I believe I was not informed at the time that the Awful Imgur implementation included uploading as well.

*internet sentator pulls handle, trap door opens*

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ola posted:

Oh right, yes well *sweats, whispers with lawyer* I believe I was not informed at the time that the Awful Imgur implementation included uploading as well.

*internet sentator pulls handle, trap door opens*

Why do you post like this, wtf

Someone mentioned the Awful apps upload feature way up the page. Everyone should thank baka kaba for his great work on it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

thanks baka kaba

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

thanks baka kaba

:hai:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Thermopyle posted:

I was going to just make the same reply, but now I'm trying to think of any of their other apps that just have a blatant advertisement somewhere...

a few months ago Waze showed me the most egregious ad I've ever seen on a cell phone. I had the navigation going while I was driving, and I glanced down at the screen when I was stopped at a stop light. the app overlaid an ad for a restaurant "on your way" and i believe it did this because it could tell I was stopped and was probably looking at the app. i don't know for sure that that's why it showed it, and I've never seen another one. but it was really scary: those electronic billboards are really distracting to me and a phone ad like that is something I'm worried could misfire and get a driver to accidentally look down while driving during a critical moment :v:

(n.b. waze has been owned by Google for a while now)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a few months ago Waze showed me the most egregious ad I've ever seen on a cell phone. I had the navigation going while I was driving, and I glanced down at the screen when I was stopped at a stop light. the app overlaid an ad for a restaurant "on your way" and i believe it did this because it could tell I was stopped and was probably looking at the app. i don't know for sure that that's why it showed it, and I've never seen another one. but it was really scary: those electronic billboards are really distracting to me and a phone ad like that is something I'm worried could misfire and get a driver to accidentally look down while driving during a critical moment :v:

(n.b. waze has been owned by Google for a while now)

It's been a long time since I used waze but I swear it played a video ad at me once when I opened it

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't used Waze in many months but I'm pretty sure I recall it showing me ads at every stop.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Looks like it, last one is the stop sign ads

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My friend is setting up an SFTP for us to share files, what's a good app to interact with that?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

always be closing posted:

My friend is setting up an SFTP for us to share files, what's a good app to interact with that?

Solid Explorer.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Solid Explorer is very good and worth the money. I'm glad to know I should never use Waze, apparently.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've enjoyed using Waze for over 3 years now. Maps works fine too but Waze adds a neat social element to it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Waze is so heavily used where I live that the real time updates on traffic conditions and hazards by other drivers makes it more useful than Google Maps.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

google maps has used Waze data for several years now. in my own experience, waze is still more aggressive in routing you through rat-runner paths in residential neighborhoods. but other than that i haven't felt much difference. both apps seem to produce vaguely similar paths in terms of miles and minutes :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

google maps has used Waze data for several years now. in my own experience, waze is still more aggressive in routing you through rat-runner paths in residential neighborhoods. but other than that i haven't felt much difference. both apps seem to produce vaguely similar paths in terms of miles and minutes :shobon:

Google Maps uses Waze's traffic speed data, but it doesn't seem to parse anything related to traffic incidents.

I had a situation recently where two roads were closed. Google Maps and Waze were each aware of one closure, but they weren't the same one. So, Google Maps was trying to route me over one closure while Waze was trying to route me over the other.