Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
the real reason not to drive trucks is that its a terrible job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

the real reason not to drive trucks is that its a terrible job.

not if you love meth and scabby truck stop dicks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

The bigger problem with self driving cars is that they are little programmed to take actions that will kill their drivers instead of pedestrians or other drivers in emergencies. That narrative will never fly with the American populace.

I bought the thing, I change its oil, pay for all its maintenance. If it has the choice between killing me, or an entire school bus full of nuns, it had better pick the nuns every single time.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

not caring here posted:

Hey Delizin keep in mind gun​ smithing for a large part is really just industry specific machining so you'll learn to use a manual mill and a manual lathe which is always handy.

Keeping that in mind you should check out some machining resources, and from my experience with gun smith dudes your machining resources will help you do some poo poo better, like achieving better concentricity, and using gage blocks in imaginative ways to better measure poo poo, all kinds of cool poo poo.

The machining stuff is definitely what I am most excited about and the school has a heavily focuses on that aspect. They even teach some CNC stuff there as well. Back when I was a mechanic once upon a time I'd do some simple stuff like welding and have to make my own parts on occasion, but never got my hands on a mill or a lathe. I've always wanted to go all in on it though and learn to machine all of my own stuff.

I've got a real old guy that lives near me that is a brilliant machinist and I am super jealous of what he can do. When I first moved out here and still had my RV, the plastic hinge on fridge door broke off and he offered to make a metal one for me. It was an L shaped piece with a tapered end that slipped inside the door and had two screws to hold it in place. He came over and took a look at and the screws that went in it, but didn't take any measurements. Then we went over to his garage where he cut down two pieces of aluminum to size, tapered the end and then welded them together in the proper shape. Afterwards he tapped two holes for screws and we went back over to the RV. loving thing fit perfectly first time and the old screws fit right into it. The tolerances on something like that don't need to be real precise, but I was still amazed with how accurate he was just eyeballing it. He was telling me about his background and he used to work down in Houston making parts for spacecraft and deep underground oil drilling.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I imagine the amount of dicks you'd have to suck to get a job doing weapons development for the JSOC crews is near endless.

But then again that sounds like a loving dream job doing some crazy poo poo, building toys and getting them in the hands of dudes that will put them through the ringer and then some.

As part of the Voc Rehab thing, I had to find some current job listings for Gunsmiths. One of the things I pulled up was an government contract position as an armorer for Asymmetric Warfare Group out of Fort Meade. Not quite as interesting as weapons development for JSOC, but the job description included evaluating new weapons platforms, equipment, and body armor. The other part of the job was maintaining their weapons, providing small arms training and playing range tech support. The actual requirements to get hired didn't seem too bad though. My brother in law was a warrant officer in AWG a few years back and they seemed pretty chill, but it'd take a miracle to make me even consider moving back to Northern Virginia/Maryland area.

I'd much rather just chill in a home machine shop making and modifying stuff than have to deal with DC Metro area traffic and Army fuckery again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man where's the 4k Planet Earth 2 stream. Is it ever going to be a thing?

Not about to buy a 4k blu-ray player. Really lame the PS4 Pro doesn't have one. Maybe I should get a xbone scorpio lol. Don't think I'd get an xbone s

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i love my ps4 pro but i dont gently caress with 4k at all so :shrug:

also wooo spent 7 hours at the hospital tonight. Wife broke a toe and and her big toenail when she stumbled down a few stairs. She's fine otherwise and baby is fine. Just a long night.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't care about 4k but watching planet earth 2 on my KS8000 sounds amazing. Like, just for that

-edit holy poo poo blu-ray players are expensive. I'm definitely getting an S

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 17, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the only blu-rays i own are planet earth, lord of the rings and two Don Hertzfeldt collections

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Sitting at the dealership while they run my car through maintenance.

Trying to talk myself out of trading in and getting a 2017 Camaro. Good thing they don't have a manual transmission on the lot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tell them that. They don't stock them because they don't think people want 'em.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Godholio posted:

Tell them that. They don't stock them because they don't think people want 'em.

They are right.

The market for manual transmissions is very, very small.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Godholio posted:

They don't stock them because they don't think people want 'em.
:sigh:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you if you don't like manual

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Delizin posted:

The machining stuff is definitely what I am most excited about and the school has a heavily focuses on that aspect. They even teach some CNC stuff there as well. Back when I was a mechanic once upon a time I'd do some simple stuff like welding and have to make my own parts on occasion, but never got my hands on a mill or a lathe. I've always wanted to go all in on it though and learn to machine all of my own stuff.

If they have it there there's also machinist certifications that you can get which while they won't mean terribly much to crusty old machinists, it can open up a few doors. The ones that spring to mind are poo poo like Mastercam, and NIMS. There's other pertinent ones that I just can't remember right now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress you if you can't use three pedals.

On the plus side, that many fewer people knowing how to drive stick means no one will ever steal anything I own. Aside from the already shitbox status of anything I drive.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It was a sad day when the transporter movies went from cuts of clutch and h-pattern work to cuts of bumping the tip shifter.

Shameful.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

My wife got a ticket back in February because our tags expired at the end of January. Colorado gives us free disabled vet tags and normally renews them automatically, but their system couldn't connect to the state insurance database so it didn't get auto renewed and I didn't notice right away. Just went to court today and it turned out the cop never filed the ticket so it got dismissed at the window. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but thanks for saving me a couple of hours sitting around bud.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

not caring here posted:

If they have it there there's also machinist certifications that you can get which while they won't mean terribly much to crusty old machinists, it can open up a few doors. The ones that spring to mind are poo poo like Mastercam, and NIMS. There's other pertinent ones that I just can't remember right now.

Machinists are loving awesome, some of the poo poo the old dudes at my work can do with a manual mill and lathe is pretty mind-boggling.

Also if you like doing machining poo poo watch AvE on Youtube, he's GiP's Canadian Spirit Animal. Well, that's me actually but AvE is pretty close.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
AvE is arguably the best channel on all of YouTube. There might be some that can better show how to get the angry pixies from the gargler to the confuser, but you've gotta piss with the cock you've got.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Delizin posted:

My wife got a ticket back in February because our tags expired at the end of January. Colorado gives us free disabled vet tags and normally renews them automatically, but their system couldn't connect to the state insurance database so it didn't get auto renewed and I didn't notice right away. Just went to court today and it turned out the cop never filed the ticket so it got dismissed at the window. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but thanks for saving me a couple of hours sitting around bud.

What rating do you need for those plates? I have 80% (enough for a free fishing/hunting license), and see DV plates loving everywhere here. Either half of Colorado Springs is 100%, or they call you disabled with any rating.

My TN tags say Handicapped because TN draws the distinction between Disabled (100% rating) and Handicapped (0-90%). My TN tags are good through June, so I should've been on this ball already.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

What rating do you need for those plates? I have 80% (enough for a free fishing/hunting license), and see DV plates loving everywhere here. Either half of Colorado Springs is 100%, or they call you disabled with any rating.

My TN tags say Handicapped because TN draws the distinction between Disabled (100% rating) and Handicapped (0-90%). My TN tags are good through June, so I should've been on this ball already.

Depends on the state. Texas gave me DV plates no question. Florida requires 100%.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, which is why I was asking another CO guy. I get that poo poo's different. I won't have time to check for a few hours so I figured I'd ask.

Yay stuck at work.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

You need at least 50% for disabled tags in Colorado. If you want handicap tags, you need to go to a doctor and have them fill out a form too. I think Colorado distributes the tags differently depending on where you're at though. Because I am out in the boonies my local DMV doesn't do DV tags at all, instead I need to order them through the state DMV in Denver and they mail them down to me.

My county VSO got me the tags when I first moved out here. He sent in a request to the state VA and they sent us letters stating I was eligible for the tags, the hunting license, etc. Then he had me sign the form for the license plate and he sent it in for me. You might just be able to take the benefit verification letter that you can print off of eBenefits into your DMV and ask for the tags.

MA-Horus posted:

Also if you like doing machining poo poo watch AvE on Youtube, he's GiP's Canadian Spirit Animal. Well, that's me actually but AvE is pretty close.

I am sitting around watching a bunch of his videos. Thank you for this.

On this one now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyuv3WXPQsM

Delizin fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 17, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Genocide Tendency posted:

They are right.

The market for manual transmissions is very, very small.

Which is why emphasizing that it still exists is necessary.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Delizin posted:

You need at least 50% for disabled tags in Colorado. If you want handicap tags, you need to go to a doctor and have them fill out a form too. I think Colorado distributes the tags differently depending on where you're at though. Because I am out in the boonies my local DMV doesn't do DV tags at all, instead I need to order them through the state DMV in Denver and they mail them down to me.

Excellent. CO and TN are swapped on the phrasing. But TN is backwards as gently caress anyhow. If I wanted rockstar parking I'd still need a placard (and I don't, so I won't).

Mostly I wasn't looking forward to paying whatever taxes they were going to hit me with, but if they waive that with the DV plate then I'm set. It was going to be at least $400+ for a 5 year old shitbox kia. Coworker paid over $500 to register his Jeep. Fuuuuuck that.

El Paso county almost certainly has the plates though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I know I'm way late but yeah drat Logan was really good

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
My kid just tried to explain slenderman to me. gently caress im old.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Melthir posted:

At least they didn't explain via stabbing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Melthir posted:

That was kind of an SA thing.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I know I'm way late but yeah drat Logan was really good

If Dafne Keen doesn't get some fuckhuge X-23 contract thrown at her, a whole bunch of people hosed up in profound and irrevocable ways.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Godholio posted:

Yep.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2255

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Next month i only have 15 duty days, but average about 45 hours a week...

Also i will have 4 12 hours days in a row.

:shepface:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ElMaligno posted:

Only 4?

:laugh:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Godholio posted:

I know thats why it became a wtf dad moment. How do you explain to your kid that your part of the dead gay internet forum that created it.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Melthir posted:

I know thats why it became a wtf dad moment. How do you explain to your kid that your part of the dead gay internet forum that created it.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my stepdaughter about 4 years ago. She found out about it and I kept trying to tell her "no, it's not real. also that stupid forum I spend way too much time on invented it."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

lmao if youre still in

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

Gonna have 9 days to bill as 12 hour days next month. Except I get paid for all my overtime, thanks govt contract!

orange juche posted:

lmao if youre still in

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ElMaligno posted:

Can we swap?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddammit, back's a bad twitch from putting me on the floor for the day. And I'm going to have to go to Pueblo or Denver to get some weed stuff because I've got enough to get me through tonight at most.

Stupid Colorado Springs not jumping on the recreational weed train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Goddammit, back's a bad twitch from putting me on the floor for the day. And I'm going to have to go to Pueblo or Denver to get some weed stuff because I've got enough to get me through tonight at most.

Stupid Colorado Springs not jumping on the recreational weed train.

That's what you get for living in a religious hellhole. The weed, not the back.

• Locked thread