Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

Was he playing Grixis Shadow, because if he was I think this might be the tipping scale towards banning the deck.

he was not

also, Abzan Falconer spotted at 19th

E: Top 32 decklists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Shortest Path posted:

Any time a format has had a clearly-defined "best deck", it has shown up consistently and pervasively in multiple large tournaments. That is not the case for Death's Shadow.

It's certainly a good deck, but there's no real argument for calling it the best. Modern is in a good place right now.

The jund version was the breakout deck of that previous modern GP and almost every successful team at San Antonio had a death's shadow deck. The SCG invitational likewise had grixis DS dominate. It's put up very consistent numbers in minor tournaments and MTGO. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but this is the first major modern tournament where it didn't make a large impact, and the grixis version is relatively new when it comes to major modern tournaments along with having a massive target on its back. Regardless, it still put up very good results going into day two but my googling doesn't reveal much day two stats beyond the top 8.

I play the deck and don't think it needs a ban and also think modern is in a great place right now, but if not grixis DS what is the best deck?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Falconer could be such a blowout. The humans list looks very fun.

I will also say the Amonkhet masterpieces look better in person than on a computer screen, which is the opposite of the Zendikar ones. The Kaladesh ones are still better than the others.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

It seemed very good but lets give it a week before we declare this just yet.

It's a blue deck running more than 4 cantrips, it's already dead.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

The jund version was the breakout deck of that previous modern GP and almost every successful team at San Antonio had a death's shadow deck. The SCG invitational likewise had grixis DS dominate. It's put up very consistent numbers in minor tournaments and MTGO. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but this is the first major modern tournament where it didn't make a large impact, and the grixis version is relatively new when it comes to major modern tournaments along with having a massive target on its back. Regardless, it still put up very good results going into day two but my googling doesn't reveal much day two stats beyond the top 8.

I play the deck and don't think it needs a ban and also think modern is in a great place right now, but if not grixis DS what is the best deck?

There isn't a best deck, because Modern is a healthy format with a variety of good decks that are situationally better than each-other.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bugsy posted:

The invocations are cool and good.

i loving hate that shiny top border and i don't believe those should be legal, and there's a zero percent chance I'd ever play one on the off chance that they slip out of the sleeve or the inner sleeve peeks out and the glint is visible.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I am okay with these decks gaining popularity because my modern deck absolutely picks them apart.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

he was not

also, Abzan Falconer spotted at 19th

E: Top 32 decklists

Faeries yesssssssssssssssssssss

edit: oh. Barely. Just Spellstutter Sprites and Bitterblossoms.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Shortest Path posted:

There isn't a best deck, because Modern is a healthy format with a variety of good decks that are situationally better than each-other.

As I've already said, I agree modern is in a good state but that doesn't mean there isn't a best deck. What you haven't said is what deck is better or what tournaments outside of Vegas top 8 it hasn't put up results which earlier was an important metric for you.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

Faeries yesssssssssssssssssssss

edit: oh. Barely. Just Spellstutter Sprites and Bitterblossoms.

They had that guy on camera a couple times. He ended up 8-1 on day 1 if I'm not mistaken.

Bugsy posted:

The invocations are cool and good.

I pulled a Kefnet invoc yesterday. :v: Only my second masterpiece ever out of the I-don't-know-how-many-cases-worth of cards I've opened since BfZ.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Have you guys had any experience drafting on cockatrice? I'm looking to practice my draft game skills without burning through money losing on MTGO.

FNM is only once a week, turns out.

I agree with everything Grifter said, but just want to add that cockatrice players are real bad (or good players who are experimenting), so keep that in mind when evaluating things. It's easy to overrate cards/decks/strategies when testing on there because everything you do will be more successful than it would be on mtgo, or against your average lgs crowd.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/876810775398166529

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bad.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

So it's a cycle?
The blue one will be "draw seven" for 3 mana, I suppose.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

lol

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So what does Temur Energy sideboard in for the Mirror? Big Chandra?

Edit: Has anyone tried turning the negates into Censors for after the ban?

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 19, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Last Mercy seems like possible sideboard material in Modern if you're really worried about Burn for some reason.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hazoret's Last Outburst 1RR
Sorcery
Hazoret's Last Outburst deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

I like that the Hour Game Day Champion playmat says Mastermind instead, though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

So what does Temur Energy sideboard in for the Mirror? Big Chandra?

Edit: Has anyone tried turning the negates into Censors for after the ban?

I don't think you want Negate's MB at all anymore.

Count Bleck posted:

Hazoret's Last Outburst 1RR
Sorcery
Hazoret's Last Outburst deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

I like that the Hour Game Day Champion playmat says Mastermind instead, though.

That can't be right.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

dat smug fuckin dragon :smug:

I'm looking forward to the FNM kiddies playing this card the turn before I attack for lethal and I still beat the poo poo out of them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mcmagic posted:

That can't be right.

Yeah it should probably only target creatures

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

drat they gone and made Reno

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I don't think you want Negate's MB at all anymore.

That can't be right.

Kind of what I am getting at. So i'm thinking of turning them into censors and moving negates to the side.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

Kind of what I am getting at. So i'm thinking of turning them into censors and moving negates to the side.

I don't think you want Censor either. You aren't going to be keeping up Mana on the first few turns of game. I'm rather see MB Dissenter's Deliverance.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

ShaneB posted:

drat they gone and made Reno

We're gonna be rich! (but not in mana)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

So it's a cycle?
The blue one will be "draw seven" for 3 mana, I suppose.
I think "discard your hand, draw seven" could be the red thing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The blue card in the cycle is totally going to be sorcery speed "Kefnet's Last X" for 1UU that draws three

Also the white one seems fun against burn

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Against the decks where you would want this card the cost seems pretty drat worth it?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Siivola posted:

I think "discard your hand, draw seven" could be the red thing.

There's no way they'd print that for 1RR without a drawback that actually impacts your ability to just win that turn.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

TheKingofSprings posted:

Against the decks where you would want this card the cost seems pretty drat worth it?

The cmc yes, the actual cost probably not. It's gonna be real real frustrating playing against 4 of those tho

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah. This will be a premium sideboard card I think. Does this even count as life gain?

Edit: nevermind I think I'm wrong

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 19, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Walked posted:

Does this even count as life gain?

You're gaining life so yes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

suicidesteve posted:

It's actually setting your life total so no.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

It's actually setting your life total so no.
118.5. If an effect sets a player’s life total to a specific number, the player gains or loses the necessary amount of life to end up with the new total.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Isn't this just flat out game over if it resolves v burn in modern?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

not if you have 30 life when you cast it!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

it is but uh, burn isn't this malevolent force you really need to devote sideboard slots too

i wish it said target player on it so someone would try it as death's shadow tech and get blown out by anglers and tasigur

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

dat smug fuckin dragon :smug:

I BELIEVE YOU MEAN :smaug:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I'll be playing Bontu's Last Reckoning until rotation at least, flashing it back with reanimated Dark-Dwellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

I mean skullcrack exists but most likely, yes. You'd have to really fear Burn to put it in your sideboard in the first place but it's very good in the matchup.