Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Transport Fever is a fun game where you build trains and watch them go by, but the map design feels very anonymous. Because you don't build the cities or factories, you don't get the same sense of place that you get from other train watching resource games like Workers&Resources or even Sweet Transit, "ah that's where I put the coal mine, that's my capital, etc".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

jjack229 posted:

Late reply, but an issue that I have had a few times.

I finally played the Half Life series a few years ago. HL1 was fine (it was the version using the HL2 version), but the two expansions made me feel nauseated. It was the first time I remember experiencing it in a game. Now I quit a game as soon as I get that feeling, since I will feel it for hours afterwards.

I haven't been able to figure out the pattern.

HL2 was fine for me, but Portal was bad.
Alan Wake was bad, but Quantum Break and Control were fine.
Metro Exodus, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance were all bad.

It's the camera operating differently when you're moving vs standing still I think. All of those problem games work that way save Metro. It's a huge issue in all 3 Dead Space games where you get near perfect aim while standing still, but turning the camera while walking is all kinds of wobbly, to the point there are mousefixes on PC to make it use that standing-still input all the time.

edit: Portal as well makes people motion sick during the auto-correction when you jump through a portal that'd leave you upside-down. You have to do this a lot in the late game, jump headfirst into portals to swan dive up platforms which corkscrews you in the air.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Dec 30, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The pattern itself could be games which feature the camera completely detaching and reattaching from your crosshair. Alan Wake, Dead Space, Kingdom Come all do it when you drop your aim. That may be why Control and QB are okay for you, because the camera's attached to Jesse/Jack, instead of being attached to Alan's flashlight and raising higher up when you aim.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jjack229 posted:

Late reply, but an issue that I have had a few times.

I finally played the Half Life series a few years ago. HL1 was fine (it was the version using the HL2 version), but the two expansions made me feel nauseated. It was the first time I remember experiencing it in a game. Now I quit a game as soon as I get that feeling, since I will feel it for hours afterwards.

I haven't been able to figure out the pattern.

HL2 was fine for me, but Portal was bad.
Alan Wake was bad, but Quantum Break and Control were fine.
Metro Exodus, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance were all bad.

The HL2 version of HL1= black mesa? Cuz it made me sick too

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Probably Half-Life Source.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Haven't bitched about DS2 in a while so

Wasted all my Pharaoh Lockstones in the one level that has like 100 locks without realizing that 95% of them are traps and that I was using a limited item. IIRC, I can farm more from rats but the drop is still pretty rare. Going in blind, that level looks for all the world like it's set up to USE those things in order to unlock progression. Having the same issue with fragrant branches of yore wondering where the gently caress place to use them is since they seem limited also and # of statues outnumber the items.

Also, and this applies to ALL the games, I wish keys you find would give some description of exactly where the gently caress that door was. It'll just say "Iron Key" or "Prisoner's Key" but, gently caress, I don't remember where that was. I'm used to the idea that the series basically requires some wiki lookups but they've taken it to an extreme where I'm almost entirely hosed unless I keep my laptop next to me, which is a LTFTGD for me since most of my fun is derived from playing blind on my first run.

Or at least trying to.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pretty sure there's exactly enough Fragrant Branches to petrified folks, though it might be possible to chain them incorrectly because a few basically refund you a branch. There's ways to get more if you mess up, just like Lockstones. Ultimately I wouldn't worry too much, because aside from a few key early statues/mechanisms there's very little hiding behind them of note and doubly so if you're doing a ranged run (minor hint) though you might want one lockstone for Eleum Loyce.

DS1 did explain which doors the keys went to. I think 2 tries sometimes even if it's still a bit circumspect, but also the areas are so small and there are ultimately so few locked doors that it's usually easy to put 2 and 2 together, but then you have stuff like the Iron Key where it's just nonsense that expects you to remember a nondescript door from what is likely many, many hours ago.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s not like I beat Dark Souls II but generally the rest of the series is super blunt about telling you where to use keys in their descriptions so that must be an anomaly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Last Celebration posted:

It’s not like I beat Dark Souls II but generally the rest of the series is super blunt about telling you where to use keys in their descriptions so that must be an anomaly.

It is an anomaly, Doors of Pharros is one of those free-PVP zones where you can be invaded by any type of shade, so many of the locks can be activated by invaders too and unleash posion pits and enemies for hosts. It's... a good idea, I'll give it the bare minimum. The problem is they stay unlocked after the invader leaves so now the area's just harder forever.

It also is called "Doors of Pharros", which kinda implies that Pharros Lockstones will be important to use there. I also assumed I'd need at least one to finish it.

edit: Oh unless you meant the Iron Key, which is poorly named because it's found in the Iron Keep but not used there.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Dec 30, 2022

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Thanks for the input on game motion sickness. Not sure there is much I can do to anticipate a game, probably just have to try it. But it sounds like some games might have a tweek that could mitigate it for me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The HL2 version of HL1= black mesa? Cuz it made me sick too

John Murdoch posted:

Probably Half-Life Source.

Yeah, it's that one. That's my guess why HL1 was fine, but the two followup episodes/expansions were not (they were clearly on a different engine, which I'm guessing is the HL1 engine). Black Mesa has been on my wishlist for a while, but never pulled the trigger for it. Sounds like it might give my motion sickness anyway. Also, I think the description said they expanded the alien world area, which is the opposite of what I felt the game needed when I had played it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

jjack229 posted:

[re: Black Mesa] Also, I think the description said they expanded the alien world area, which is the opposite of what I felt the game needed when I had played it.

A lot of the game is expanded, but the Xen stuff is expanded the most. IMO it is also made to suck a lot less than the original Xen stuff, so overall I still enjoyed it, but it is very long and many people think it overstays its welcome. I'd recommend Black Mesa for the next time you get the urge to replay HL1.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Pretty sure there's exactly enough Fragrant Branches to petrified folks, though it might be possible to chain them incorrectly because a few basically refund you a branch. There's ways to get more if you mess up, just like Lockstones. Ultimately I wouldn't worry too much, because aside from a few key early statues/mechanisms there's very little hiding behind them of note and doubly so if you're doing a ranged run (minor hint) though you might want one lockstone for Eleum Loyce.

DS1 did explain which doors the keys went to. I think 2 tries sometimes even if it's still a bit circumspect, but also the areas are so small and there are ultimately so few locked doors that it's usually easy to put 2 and 2 together, but then you have stuff like the Iron Key where it's just nonsense that expects you to remember a nondescript door from what is likely many, many hours ago.

Yeah aside from the two rat king PVP zones there are no wastes of a pharos lockstone - albeit that a lot of them just like unlock water springs or shortcuts that barely do anything of note. But you can get more, and I believe you typically you can't screw yourself too hard with the branches in scholar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nuebot posted:

Yeah aside from the two rat king PVP zones there are no wastes of a pharos lockstone - albeit that a lot of them just like unlock water springs or shortcuts that barely do anything of note. But you can get more, and I believe you typically you can't screw yourself too hard with the branches in scholar.

Yeah, my 3rd game into the series and I've learned not to get too incredibly worked up about poo poo and get too OCD about things because then games are beatable no matter what you do and you almost have to really TRY to gently caress your way out of poo poo by breaking things. I've resigned myself to the idea that by playing blind I'm going to miss a ton of poo poo and have learned that there really are no "correct" choices.

I just wish there were some more guideposts but even that might be on me for not paying closer attention to things

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, my 3rd game into the series and I've learned not to get too incredibly worked up about poo poo and get too OCD about things because then games are beatable no matter what you do and you almost have to really TRY to gently caress your way out of poo poo by breaking things. I've resigned myself to the idea that by playing blind I'm going to miss a ton of poo poo and have learned that there really are no "correct" choices.

I just wish there were some more guideposts but even that might be on me for not paying closer attention to things

Oh yeah absolutely, I did the same thing my first time playing. I was like "Oh wow, is this place some kind of huge maze?" and promptly wasted all of my lockstones on traps and then had none when there was a secret I wanted to unlock. There really isn't much, if any, indication that this is suddenly the pvp zone unless you already know.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you actually do the pvp in the pharos pvp zone you will get loads of free lockstones
but it was completely dead even when the game was new. people didn't really like it compared to chilling in the belfry or w/e

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah the belfy was always the more loved place, and I really wish it made a return in some new game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: God dammit I'm getting sick of every crate I find just being nothing but cosmetic bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: God dammit I'm getting sick of every crate I find just being nothing but cosmetic bullshit.

The Surge 2 has this problem with tech scrap. Give me implants instead of souls dammit, I wanna jam more weirder healing parry combat drugs in my skull!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Especially since customization options are so low key if (like me) you're not inclined to change anything once you get the right poncho and lightsaber blade colors. Having different outfits or clothing items would be a million times better even if there aren't equippable perks or something, hopefully they'll be at least a little more interesting in the sequel.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Waste of Breath posted:

Lmao WHAT

Didn't this game get lauded on release? Is there another survive-during-wartime game I'm getting it confused with? I'd probably throw the baby out with the bathwater too if the game asked me to pony up for microtransactions.
This War of Mine does not and never has had microtransactions. It has a couple of DLCs: one that adds children and a bunch of associated mechanics, one that adds a bunch of narrative driven scenarios rather than the more roguelike base game (strictly speaking it's three separate DLCs but there's a bundle yada yadaof), and a thing where you can donate money to charity for some in-game cosmetic graffiti.

Tunicate posted:

It bothered me that there was almost nothing you could do in gameplay to show solidarity to others and cooperate.

Like, you could give some kids with a sick mom some food, once, as a randon event.

But aside from that your interactions with your neighbors were mostly prepper 'we gotta fortify our compound and have guns to shoot looters or go out and do looting' poo poo, and not the more true-to-reality banding together with neighbors and the community to survive together (as actually happened in sarajevo, which the game is supposed to be based on).
You start each game with two or three characters and people will ask to be taken in until you have four. There's multiple random events where people come to your house and the vast majority are neighbours offering or requesting help. Scavenging ("looting") locations for supplies is a big part of the game, but a lot of the locations contain opportunities to help people, and actual murder and theft makes your characters, and you the player, feel real lovely. It would definitely be neat to play a similar game with a bigger focus on community building, and there's definitely a few areas of ludonarrative dissonance, but you're very much doing the game that is a disservice.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Dec 31, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

credburn posted:

This drove me nuts on a New Game +. I hadn't played in a year so I didn't remember where things were, so I still wanted to explore, but 90% of the time you're hitting empty boxes. The health pick ups go back to their crates so you can't just ignore it all and stay on the main path, either

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't really count trading as helping people, which is virtually all of the nonhostile npc interactions outside of your fortified compound

but the events like
"we are small children wandering through a warzone going up to random strangers for food because our mother is so sick she can't walk"

with options
A) tell them to gently caress off
B) give them a can of beans and tell them to gently caress off

are pretty half-assed

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Dec 31, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So, playing Magic Puzzle Quest was a bad idea, but I like puzzle quest. But know what else is a bad idea? Taking Magic the Gathering's mana system, and replacing it with the puzzle quest mana system of "match gems, the gems you match are your mana". At least the monetization isn't too heinous, buying booster packs is a joke, just like in real life, because rng is rng. You're just as likely to get really good rare cards from the random free packs as you are from buying them. The only monetization that's made me outright go "That's some bullshit" is when they sell bundles of cards they know are highly sought after and highly powerful as exclusive to their stupid thirty dollar bundles. Also some of the planeswalker abilities are just so outright broken and flat out better than everyone else there's no reason not to just use the good ones.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

It is an anomaly, Doors of Pharros is one of those free-PVP zones where you can be invaded by any type of shade, so many of the locks can be activated by invaders too and unleash posion pits and enemies for hosts. It's... a good idea, I'll give it the bare minimum. The problem is they stay unlocked after the invader leaves so now the area's just harder forever.

It also is called "Doors of Pharros", which kinda implies that Pharros Lockstones will be important to use there. I also assumed I'd need at least one to finish it.

edit: Oh unless you meant the Iron Key, which is poorly named because it's found in the Iron Keep but not used there.

The Rat Covenant zones are even weirder than that. You spend lockstones to open up traps in your version of the areas, then when somebody trespasses they actually get reverse invaded and snatched over to your world to run through your trap gauntlet.

Yet another kooky Dark Souls 2 thing. :allears:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

The Surge 2 has this problem with tech scrap. Give me implants instead of souls dammit, I wanna jam more weirder healing parry combat drugs in my skull!

I picked up F.I.S.T. since it was free on epic a few days ago and it's a metriodvania with the same problem. Most of the exploration just rewards you with money, which after a while is only really used for buying single use keys, so you can open chests that also just gives you money, with a few of them actually giving you an upgrade. They really could have just cut down on that and rearranged they eral upgrades and it would have been so much better.

Also like a third of the game is underwater movement, which sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

John Murdoch posted:

The Rat Covenant zones are even weirder than that. You spend lockstones to open up traps in your version of the areas, then when somebody trespasses they actually get reverse invaded and snatched over to your world to run through your trap gauntlet.

Yet another kooky Dark Souls 2 thing. :allears:

Hahaha I'd completely forgotten this aspect of them. They also had that one completely random unexplained dude who infinitely respawned so you could level up the hardmode covenant even in single player. Dark Souls 2 really is the best one for these kinds of stories in hindsight. Just imagine if Elden Ring's expanded co-op radius caused people to invade themselves square into the middle of the Scarlet Rot lake just because you and I were there co-opping a la some kind of combo of DS2 and DS3's system lmao

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Hahaha I'd completely forgotten this aspect of them. They also had that one completely random unexplained dude who infinitely respawned so you could level up the hardmode covenant even in single player. Dark Souls 2 really is the best one for these kinds of stories in hindsight. Just imagine if Elden Ring's expanded co-op radius caused people to invade themselves square into the middle of the Scarlet Rot lake just because you and I were there co-opping a la some kind of combo of DS2 and DS3's system lmao

If Elden Ring's multiplayer had more silly gimmicks I'd probably have liked it more, but instead it could be entirely summed up by a guy with Rivers of Blood - an item you get from one of the last two areas of the game - invading you every time you try to engage with a world boss in the first area of the game over and over again until you just stop playing online while people online smugly defend that as The Correct Way To Play, and simultaneously throw a tantrum if you ever disagree with their entirely made up online dark souls fights decorum rules.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Graveyard Keeper is just so strange. It's like every single aspect of the game is slightly undertuned, making everything slightly more difficult than it feels like it should be. The inventory is just a little bit too small, you get just barely enough information to progress and everything is just a tad grindy. It's not difficult, just strangely off-kilter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The thing I didn't like about Graveyard Keeper is that it proscribes that you must interact with each of its subsystems exactly as much as it wants you to. For example; you have to get into growing grapes and making wine and improving the quality, can't progress the plot without it. But don't get really into grapes and wine, because there's a strict limit on how many bottles you can sell per week. Similarly with pretty much every other subsystem.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jjack229 posted:

Thanks for the input on game motion sickness. Not sure there is much I can do to anticipate a game, probably just have to try it. But it sounds like some games might have a tweek that could mitigate it for me.

Yeah, it's that one. That's my guess why HL1 was fine, but the two followup episodes/expansions were not (they were clearly on a different engine, which I'm guessing is the HL1 engine). Black Mesa has been on my wishlist for a while, but never pulled the trigger for it. Sounds like it might give my motion sickness anyway. Also, I think the description said they expanded the alien world area, which is the opposite of what I felt the game needed when I had played it.

Do you have a big monitor? I got a huge computer monitor (re: big screen tv) and stuff that makes me sick doens't so much if I run it in a window. Dusk and Amid Evil and maybe doom 2 were loving with me in the last week or so. I think those older style of games are just too fast to sit 2 feet away from

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jjack229 posted:

I'm the same and there's definitely some games that are worse than others, but one thing I've found really helps on those is frequent breaks, even just pausing the game every 20 minutes and taking a look around the room. The original HL1 wrecked me but competitive multiplayer mods didn't because I'm bad and die a lot so there were built in breakpoints.

E: dead island absolutely destroyed me but weirdly enough portal was fine, probably because I spent a lot of portal not moving while having a think.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Dec 31, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

The thing I didn't like about Graveyard Keeper is that it proscribes that you must interact with each of its subsystems exactly as much as it wants you to. For example; you have to get into growing grapes and making wine and improving the quality, can't progress the plot without it. But don't get really into grapes and wine, because there's a strict limit on how many bottles you can sell per week. Similarly with pretty much every other subsystem.

Yeah, the whole vibe was just a bit off. Usually the point about life sims is that you can just kinda go out and do whatever you feel like at the time and it usually almost always kinda contributes to your progress in some way. It's basically escapism distilled into a genre. Meanwhile Graveyard Keeper basically from the world go says "actually it sucks here and you don't want to stay, so now follow these specific steps to leave this place".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Oh you were gonna advance the storyline by talking to a person the one day of the week they show up? You just missed them, wait a week. gently caress you."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I really liked the initial.mechanic of preparing bodies to improve your graveyard score and getting better bodies and abilities to make it even better and stuff, but then that mechanic falls by the wayside entirely (much like every other one).

Like, there is one bit where you get access to a dark chapel or something, and can put in decorations to make a better dark shrine and at the outset it sounded like a cool submechanic, but....nope. You have a set number of decorations to make, and exact positions to put them in, and nothing happens until you put them all in, which simply progresses a quest and that's it - it's dropped forever.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The game also doesn't have an ingame clock like Stardew does, so there's no real rhythm outside the days of the week.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The previous game from the Graveyard Keeper devs was Punch Club, one of those grindy life management games where it's impossible to attain equilibrium and easy to gently caress up. Makes GK come off like an over-correction from one extreme to the other.

CJacobs posted:

Hahaha I'd completely forgotten this aspect of them. They also had that one completely random unexplained dude who infinitely respawned so you could level up the hardmode covenant even in single player.

Both Rat zones have an invader that exclusively appears when you're in offline mode, presumably so the areas don't go completely to waste. Or maybe as a sort of punishment so you can't just duck offline and run through with no resistance.

Though it's a shame they're just regular invaders instead of interacting with the rat covenant gimmick at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alan Wakes insistence on taking all your equipment away regularly is real upsetting

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm not sure how you'd elegantly design around the problem, considering the action setpieces are great but the game also needs to cool down and go back to building tension, but the way Alan Wake does it gets to a point of being distracting for how blatant and frequent it is.

I think a lot of games of the era struggled with that. It's in the same ballpark of the design language that gave us ye old turret section and then its offspring Big Guy With A Minigun That You Can Use Yourself For Five Minutes Of Thrill And Then Discard.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Jan 1, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not sure how you'd elegantly design around the problem, considering the action setpieces are great but the game also needs to cool down and go back to building tension, but the way Alan Wake does it gets to a point of being distracting for how blatant and frequent it is.

There's a point where someone goes "your things are in here" and it's the lowest tier flashlight and a revolver

I know for a fact I had flash bangs, and a shotgun, a flare gun, and the big chunky flashlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Len posted:

There's a point where someone goes "your things are in here" and it's the lowest tier flashlight and a revolver

I know for a fact I had flash bangs, and a shotgun, a flare gun, and the big chunky flashlight

Maybe it's like the cycles in Dissidia 012, where an outside force is stealing the strength you gained between resets to strengthen itself.