Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Drone posted:

I had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day (inspired by RLM's Top 5 TNG thing, we decided to do our Top 5 of DS9 with each other), and it sorta spun off into a direction that I don't remember really being talked about here before: how did you all come to Star Trek?

When I was eight (summer of 1992), I had a surgery that essentially left me bedridden. I couldn't do much more than play the NES and watch TV. Someone gave me Star Trek II and I think my parents bought several of the other TOS movies for me to watch, so the first six movies remind me very strongly of my childhood.

Late that same year, a cousin of mine that was a fan of Star Trek made VHS copies of his tapes of TOS' first season. That's why I grew up with TOS and didn't really discover TNG and DS9 until much later, when we had cable and I started watching episodes of those series on Spike TV in the afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

ya otoh, the klingon TNG thread is one of the few they didnt throw in there specifically so DS9 could run with it :shrug:

Well, Cardassians and Bajorans weren't actually created for DS9. Hell, initially when the Bajorans were first introduced in Ensign Ro the occupiers were originally going to be the Romulans, but it was decided that the Romulans already had too much hanging on them so they looked back at other baddies and decided the Cardassians, who had just been a one-off, suited and bought them back for that. Then during DS9's development it was decided to use the Bajorans and Cardassians for that setting, and all the other stuff TNG did with Cardassians and Bajorans happened after DS9 had kicked off.

(Chain of Command aired before DS9 did, but it was written after the DS9 pilot had been done, they just pushed the launch of DS9 back. Originally Quark had been in the role of DaiMon Solok in Chain of Command, but they had to rewrite after the DS9 launch date was moved because nobody would know who he was.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 16, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I actually didn't like Trek as a kid. TNG episodes were what I put on while I waited for the commercials during The Simpsons or X-Files to be over.

I honestly don't know what made me decide to check out TNG a couple years ago, but the bits and scraps I remember from childhood hit me with a wave of nostalgia as hard as any show I did actually follow as a kid.

Lately things have been so lovely and stressful in general that me and my wife are, admittedly, regressing into nostalgia for comfort - sitting on the couch watching TNG or Frasier or Taxi with the a/c running and the lights low really does it.

I guess it stands to how great a show DS9 is that I had literally zero childhood memories of it, but it's one of our favorite shows of all time now.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I fall into that unenviable age group where I was too young to catch TNG-DS9-VOY as it aired originally, though I remember catching snippets of episodes here or there on local TV. My main "on-boarding" was through the movies. We've had this VHS boxset for as long as I can remember, and I think it's still floating around somewhere in my parents' house:

I saw them in the theater from Insurrection onward, though my favorite (at least as a kid) still remained TFF, much to my parents' chagrin.

We were too poor to buy the DVD sets for the shows as they steadily began to release, so for years I relied on random tapes from thrift stores or garage sales for my Trek fix. I remember the time we hit it big with pretty much the entirety of TNG S1-S2 on those Columbia House tapes for pretty cheap. I also remember visiting the Star Trek Experience in Vegas at the same time they were liquidating their VHS stock, so I got a lot (mostly DS9 tapes) from that.

And yes, when TNN started airing TNG, there was much taping and rewatching.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Drone posted:

I had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day (inspired by RLM's Top 5 TNG thing, we decided to do our Top 5 of DS9 with each other), and it sorta spun off into a direction that I don't remember really being talked about here before: how did you all come to Star Trek?

I remember my mom watched TNG when I was very little. All I remember was liking the opening where The Enterprise was zooming back and forth, and that my mom liked Data.

I avoided for a long time because I got into Star Wars and just never really had much exposure/patience for Trek till I was in my 20s and had Netflix and needed something to watch. At that point I had also seen enough good word-of-mouth and friends who spoke well of TNG that I figured I'd see what I missed. I actually did the "Start at season 3" thing cause my friend said 1&2 were rough.

I did something like TNG->DS9->VOY->long break & rewatches->TOS->TAS and now Im working on ENT.

I haven't really seen many of the movies since the availability on Netflix Canada is spotty.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

how did you all come to Star Trek?

I was born into it.

My parents had been fans of the original series since the 60s. Whenever the reruns were showing, it was very likely that that was what our TV was tuned to, and over time we accumulated a fairly impressive collection of episodes on VHS (of the good ones, anyway). The bookshelf included the first Making Of book and even a couple of those silly fotonovels. There was a little Starship Enterprise among my dad's model airplanes. I was still very young when TNG came out, but it was always a must-watch every week... even though it took a season or two before we all really got on board with it.

I don't mean to give the impression that our entire lives were Trek-themed. There was plenty of other stuff going on too. But being a Trekkie was one of those cultural things that was just... always there, as far back as I can remember, the way some people grow up as baseball fans.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Drone posted:

Like I said in my post before, I started with TOS reruns. I had seen some episodes before it, but I remember one time, I was around 10, I was sick with a bad case of the flu, and was stuck in bed for about 2 weeks. I didn't normally have a TV in my room, but they brought this little TV in there. It didn't have cable or anything, but there were one or two episodes of Star Trek on a local station, and I still remember having fever dreams from watching the Nazi planet episode.

Then when TNG came out, I was like 13 or 14, and I started watching that. I remember watching Encounter at Farpoint with my dad when it came out.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i was born 9 months before TNG and i come from a family of nerds

i always liked that the crew was friendly to each other and did nice & great things

it was very disconcerting to see a model of humans working nicely together and then, not even very slowly, understand that that was the fictional part of trek, if we were already in space

everybody's individuality & rights were so important and it was always shown to judge people on the merit of their character and not things like their ancillary attributes. watching the captain or worf (and others) make mistakes about how they treated people or judged people incorrectly on things, and then talk about why it was bad and wrong just made it seem so simple

it also gave other very easy to understand life lessons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtKNZw4Bo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drone posted:

how did you all come to Star Trek?

My dad put on TNG when I was a kid and read me The Lord of the Rings for the first time when I was around six, so I never had a chance. My cool math teacher made us watch Cosmos in sixth grade so I was pretty much converted in time to never have sex in high school. One of the earliest children's books I remember reading to myself was about black holes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My memory on it is hazy, but from what I recall my dad had rented some of the TOS movies and I do remember watching some of TNG as it aired when I was young. I do remember the Borg episodes freaking me out as a kid. Then I watched some of Voyager live (not all of it, but a good portion) and then Enterprise. I may have also watched the DS9 pilot when it first aired but I don't remember watching much DS9 after that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not sure which was first, but it came from one of two places: either being a latchkey kid in the summers and staying in my room watching the Sci-Fi Channel all day every day while I made stuff, or sleepovers at friends houses whose sole over-the-air channel was Fox which seemed to play nothing but syndicated Trek all night.

e: Found the '99 schedule for the Sci-Fi Channel. Oh the nostalgia :allears:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 16, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

seaquest ruled

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My mom was a turbonerd and we used to watch first-run TNG together as far back as I can recall. I remember her and I watching the DS9 premier and she got pissed when 5 year old me complained it was boring. She ended up liking Voyager a lot more, but we watched it all. We ended up recording episodes that aired after my bedtime when they’d inevitably get preempted by baseball or something.

Also, I was born in the summer of ‘88, so I got the honor of being named after one of TNG’s most beloved characters. My boss is also a Trekkie and thinks it’s hilarious to always call me Mr. Crusher.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

shut up wesley

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Statutory Ape posted:

shut up wesley

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Statutory Ape posted:

shut up wesley

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Statutory Ape posted:

i was born 9 months before TNG and i come from a family of nerds

i always liked that the crew was friendly to each other and did nice & great things

it was very disconcerting to see a model of humans working nicely together and then, not even very slowly, understand that that was the fictional part of trek, if we were already in space

everybody's individuality & rights were so important and it was always shown to judge people on the merit of their character and not things like their ancillary attributes. watching the captain or worf (and others) make mistakes about how they treated people or judged people incorrectly on things, and then talk about why it was bad and wrong just made it seem so simple

it also gave other very easy to understand life lessons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtKNZw4Bo

When I was a kid I was mostly just in it for the pew pew and spaceships but now that I'm old this is definitely what I like best about Trek

I was also born into it, TNG is the first non-kid's tv thing I ever remember watching. Armus scared the poo poo out of me. He was my biggest fear in the whole world for awhile

EDIT here's another clip I like. In a lesser show Riker would get into a big macho beef with the guy, but the way he handles this is perfect and an excellent example for masculinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJTG12NTg4

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 16, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I don't remember not being a fan of TOS as a kid, I caught the bug somewhere and watched every episode I could catch. It helped that local TV had a couple of very convenient rerun slots so I got through all of TOS by the time I was 10 or so. I even caught the original run of Quark live, that was surprisingly well done for a late 70s parody SF show.

It was in college that I really got hooked for life. In my freshman year we had a big viewing party for Farpoint and then the rest of S1 of TNG, so that was our big weekly event. I've been hooked since.

Here, have an episode of Quark someone dumped on YouTube, CW for extremely uncomfortable gender jokes with the transgender character,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BUCwf5yv4

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Barry Foster posted:

When I was a kid I was mostly just in it for the pew pew and spaceships but now that I'm old this is definitely what I like best about Trek

I was also born into it, TNG is the first non-kid's tv thing I ever remember watching. Armus scared the poo poo out of me. He was my biggest fear in the whole world for awhile

EDIT here's another clip I like. In a lesser show Riker would get into a big macho beef with the guy, but the way he handles this is perfect and an excellent example for masculinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJTG12NTg4

Dude just respects the hell out of everyone, moreso if he hates them, and he lets them know that while they're disrespecting him. It's a powerful weapon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

seaquest ruled

although it was the epitome of a show ruined by constant fiddling from the network

gotta make it sexier! cooler! more hardcore!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

seaquest ruled

12 year old me actually cried when Seaquest blew up in the season 2 finale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

12 year old me actually cried when Seaquest blew up in the season 2 finale.

Didn't they blow it up in both the Season 1 finale and the Season 2 finale?

At the end of season 1 they drive it into a volcanic vent to plug lava threatening civilians.

At the end of season 2 Seaquest II is kidnapped by aliens and goes to fight an alien war on another planet and helps the rebels win and then blows up to save the alien world but then they got a surprise third season so it turns out it didn't blow up and it teleports back to earth ten years in the future when there's a new evil fascist empire taking over the world and is requisitioned by the military and given lots of guns and lasers and underwater fighter planes and a new captain to lead it in the war in season 3.

And then season 3 was cancelled mid-season due to plummeting ratings so they never got a finale to blow it up a third time in.

Personally I like the earlier stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 16, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

It’s bad when you can immediately identify what season it is simply by Frakes’ weight and the cut of his beard.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HD DAD posted:

It’s bad when you can immediately identify what season it is simply by Frakes’ weight and the cut of his beard.

not sure if thats better or worse than using things like the bridge walls

or having an intrinsic knowledge of the career path and promotions of geordi laforge (<3)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I used to be able to name the episode within 15 seconds from the start of the opening teaser

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Just watched the Voyager episode where Seven fights The Rock. The episode was fine but man was it good to see Jeffrey Combs again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

Literally one of my earliest memories is sitting in the living room with my parents watching a new episode of TNG.

We also had all the TOS movies thanks to dad taping them from when they used to live in an apartment with cable, or from copying off rentals because dad had two VHS decks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Same. My earliest distinct Trek memory is sitting on the floor in the living room watching the primordial goo scene in All Good Things.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I vividly remember watching a lot of TNG in a lovely apartment with no heat when I was 8. Curled up under a blanket with a space heater pointed directly at me while a snowstorm raged outside. I don't remember which episode it was but I know it was TNG because we'd bought the giant fuckin' DVD box set where each disc only had 4 episodes on it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My first memory of Star Trek is actually being with my parents in a Venture and they let me choose between a Locutus or Worf figure. I remember watching random episodes as a kid and I remember being really excited about seeing Generations and, later, First Contact in theaters but I don’t think I saw TNG in its entirety until TNN started to do the big Friday night (?) marathons and I’d watch them with my grandpa.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
My mom was a huge fan from back in the 70s so I'm not sure what my first actual memory was since I grew up with it, I do remember being 5 years old or so and being really excited for the second half of the Unification two-parter because holyshit Spock. I may have grown up slightly since then

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tighclops posted:

I do remember being 5 years old or so and being really excited for the second half of the Unification two-parter because holyshit Spock. I may have grown up slightly since then

a 2 part trek episode was like a calendar-worthy holiday imho

tbh they may have actualyl even been marked on a calendar in my house lmao

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I came to it through nerdmosis mostly. I knew of it, watched a few episodes at a friend's house, then begged my dad to let me record the episodes that came on at midnight daily and watched them obsessively.

I kept trying to get him to watch them -- he never had time; he was an accountant and my birth into Trek happened around busy season -- but one morning, must've been a weekend he told me that he stayed up and watched an episode and hated it, would never watch the show again.

Crestfallen, I asked why. "There were pain belts and Spock had his brain removed but they could move him around with a remote control, and he somehow knew more about brain surgery than the doctor. Silly as hell."

How different things would have been if it had been Space Seed or City on the Edge of Forever...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Star Trek was one of the only non-sports things my dad would tolerate watching with me. They would air an old TOS right after a brand new TNG, so I got a little education in the evolution of television production. Then we moved to a small town and school was out for summer, so I didn't know how to make friends. My mom put an ad in the local paper for a kids-only Star Trek fan club. For a small town, Trek was surprisingly popular. We had uniforms, we had phasers, communicators. Marched in the town parade. Haven't stopped consuming Trek stuff since.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TNG was required viewing in my household. TV was still network television and my family didn't have cable until '96-'97 or thereabouts.

Star Treks II through VI I probably saw on VHS first, but I don't remember seeing TMP until later. I'm very familiar with VI because it ran on HBO constantly in that era where HBO would debut one new actual movie worth watching a week.

TOS was harder to get a hold of until cable but my mom was a fan so when we were channel surfing it was a better choice than most. For every good TOS episode there are two duds but it's still OG Star Trek.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

As a kid, TNG was just kind of always there in the background and I didn't pay too much attention to it until one day I did. My earliest recollection of watching a full episode was being in a hospital and seeing "Cause and Effect" in the waiting room. I thought the TV station messed up and was playing the same segment of episode over and over again by accident.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

my parents love star trek. there was never a time I couldn't watch what they were watching so I have watched/been around star trek since before i was able to form memories.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

They were showing episodes on the space channel every day when I got home from school (literally tos, tng, ds9, voy, basically back to back), and my dad used to rent the TOS and TNG movies from Rogers Video (RIP), and we would enjoy it together. I had a star trek encyclopia as a present, and I very much enjoyed reading them.

I remember watching at least the first few episodes of Enterprise when it aired with him, and we definitely saw Nemesis in theatres. I don't remember why I stopped there, I don't remember Nemesis as being extremely bad as a 12 year old, but maybe those two just didn't hit me in the same way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My mom never really kept up with Star Trek after TNG because The X-Files became her new thing, but I remember my dad watching Enterprise and being super excited about how the Andorian antennae moved now. He also loves the JJ movies and was particularly pleased with Beyond. I don’t think either of them ever got into DS9 or Voyager but I must have watched at least the first few seasons of the former because I had the action figures and the big runabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m get into Trek as a fully grown adult :dance: