Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

Heavy, Heavy, Assault, Medium, Super-heavy. Though tonnage doesn't matter very often.

Stone Rhino is just 100 tons. It's based on some stupid 110 tonner but is not actually THAT big.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I'm thinking about the really dumb thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's ok, Stone Rhino's don't need to be smart: no one else outsmarts Gauss Slugs either.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

goatface posted:

Oh yeah, I'm thinking about the really dumb thing.

You mean the OMEGA, featured in the top something awful let's play thread "Lets All Play Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history"?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kingcom posted:

You mean the OMEGA, featured in the top something awful let's play thread "Lets All Play Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history"?

Amaris' Folly: the Matar. It's basically the Stone Rhino but slower and packing a couple flamers, an rear end laser and an ecm.

The Omega is the Word of Blake's similar but much bigger idea. 3 gauss and 2 lb-10x on a 150 ton chassis. Same speed as the Matar, much meaner.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 10, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Amaris' Folly: the Matar. It's basically the Stone Rhino but slower and packing a couple flamers, an rear end laser and an ecm.

The Omega is the Word of Blake's similar but much bigger idea. 3 gauss and 2 lb-10x on a 150 ton chassis. Same speed as the Matar, much meaner.

I was talking about the Hogarth's Heroes scenario with the Ghost Behemoth (Omega)

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Seems like the northern lance has a stark choice, press in against the stone rhino/ gargoyle or stay safe behind the wall and go for the Nova and friend. I think that mixing it up with the stone rhino is the better play(if a few of those monitors come on line it will mess up someones day). Just remember that the nova is coming around that corner after next turn and that LBX20 will be hungering for crits.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Well, not a bad first round I suppose, put some fire on that Nova, didn't get hit in return. Developing concern though, Northern Flank may be boxed in as the Clanners close their 'Ring of Steel'.

@PTN: Can I get a LOS ruling from 0706 to the Nova (0412)? I drew a line on the image (can't figure out how to repost it here), and the LOS passes through the 'wings' of the HD18 building; I don't know how substantial those 'wings' are, and if I can shoot through them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The giant storage tank it's behind is the bigger line of sight issue.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thanks for the clarification! (smile)

In that case my fellow Northern Flank Lance-Mates, jumping to 0706 and getting ready to engage the Balius; would really appreciate some company as next round is going to be nasty. I'll be in knife fighting range and those two 'mechs outgun me at 3 hexes or less (will of course try to stay at 4 hexes or beyond).

Someone isn't walking away from this encounter, we're literally slugging it out behind the storage tank.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The only thing Northern lance can get los on atm is the two assaults, everything else has terrain or buildings blocking. You could just all break los and move to the left, if those two fast close range mechs close in you can probably take at least one out before the rest of the clan forces catch up.

I think if you take, like, 703, 4, 5, and 804 then you break los with everything, and can then decently easily move either direction around the huge building.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
For us southern folks, it kinda looks like there is a lot of long ranged firepower staring down on us this turn. I think the move to make is to get a building between us and the enemies to the north and try to hit something we can see, like that Epona.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Is it flammable?

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

CourValant posted:

Thanks for the clarification! (smile)

In that case my fellow Northern Flank Lance-Mates, jumping to 0706 and getting ready to engage the Balius; would really appreciate some company as next round is going to be nasty. I'll be in knife fighting range and those two 'mechs outgun me at 3 hexes or less (will of course try to stay at 4 hexes or beyond).

Someone isn't walking away from this encounter, we're literally slugging it out behind the storage tank.

If this stays as the plan, I'll move to 0704 and prepare to support you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jew it to it! posted:

Is it flammable?

It's probably part of the objective to protect!

(But if there's a chance to take a lot of clanners with you, well, then, Luthein Armor Works can afford a new storage building)

It might be a doubled edged sword though, if you blow one, they could start blowing others. Better safe than sorry.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Jew it to it! posted:

Is it flammable?

PTN 's not fond of having players shoot at objects to cause damage, so even if it is, I'd bet it's the fuel for the Monitor ships: the kind of thing you'd want to keep intact unless you're willing to write off two objectives and probably infuriate the Kuritans.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

Is it flammable?

You're a genius. (smile)

If it is, then I'll detonate it this turn and hopefully dump hot flaming death on the both of them.

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

If this stays as the plan, I'll move to 0704 and prepare to support you.

Sounds good buddy, appreciate the support; right now I'm anticipating the Balius and Nova to run straight into that firing lane. It'll be 2v2, and I like our odds as long as we can stay outside of 3 hexes. We'll have to pick one and focus fire it down; we don't have the MP to stay outside of 3 hexes for long (as in, like, next turn once they make the corner; I fully intend on being annoying with my jump jets though).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

It's probably part of the objective to protect!

(But if there's a chance to take a lot of clanners with you, well, then, Luthein Armor Works can afford a new storage building)

It might be a doubled edged sword though, if you blow one, they could start blowing others. Better safe than sorry.

A primary objective no less!

But you've gotta admit, the temptation to blow it up has got to be pretty strong, which I'm guessing is the entire point of having it be an objective.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Don't blow up your own primary objectives!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jew it to it! posted:

Is it flammable?

Probably not.

Depends on a diceroll, really.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

For us southern folks, it kinda looks like there is a lot of long ranged firepower staring down on us this turn. I think the move to make is to get a building between us and the enemies to the north and try to hit something we can see, like that Epona.

I agree. My first instinct is to back up to 0633; that puts a building north of me, and still lets me fire at range 15 for the good brackets at the Epona at 1925.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

KnoxZone posted:

Mukaikubo posted:

I agree. My first instinct is to back up to 0633; that puts a building north of me, and still lets me fire at range 15 for the good brackets at the Epona at 1925.

I thing we could limit LOS to Timber wolf, Glass spider and Epona A1.
I not sure I have a good way to engage without exposing myself to everyone. Maybe if I take a step forward I could shoot Timber Wolf at to-10, or reverse and shoot summoner at 9 without getting anymore fire, but that's it, if I don't want to take my chances.
Of course, while I could keep hiding, I don't think they want to close the distance.

Problems.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They're clanners, they'll close the distance!

Especially with two long range Mechs unloading while denying return fire.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Gun Jam posted:

I thing we could limit LOS to Timber wolf, Glass spider and Epona A1.
I not sure I have a good way to engage without exposing myself to everyone. Maybe if I take a step forward I could shoot Timber Wolf at to-10, or reverse and shoot summoner at 9 without getting anymore fire, but that's it, if I don't want to take my chances.
Of course, while I could keep hiding, I don't think they want to close the distance.

Problems.

I suspect these Clanners won't be the patient sort. Even if they are all loaded to capacity with long ranged firepower I suspect one or two will move up a bit in the next turn or two.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably not.

Depends on a diceroll, really.

Are these storage tanks related to the primary objective of securing the Naval Monitors?

If so, I'll leave them alone (or, if the GM prefers that I leave them alone, please let me know).

Otherwise, I'll take a roll of the dice to see if I can make the approach more interesting for the Balius and Nova.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CourValant posted:

Are these storage tanks related to the primary objective of securing the Naval Monitors?

If so, I'll leave them alone (or, if the GM prefers that I leave them alone, please let me know).

Otherwise, I'll take a roll of the dice to see if I can make the approach more interesting for the Balius and Nova.

Your primary objective is to prevent Luthein Armor Works facilities from getting blown up, the monitors are actually a secondary only.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Gwaihir posted:

Your primary objective is to prevent Luthein Armor Works facilities from getting blown up, the monitors are actually a secondary only.

LAW is huge, I'm sure they won't miss this one little island facility which apparently makes boats? (smile)

Fine, fine, I'll leave it alone; actually forgot about the LAW objective. (smile)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

They're clanners, they'll close the distance!

Especially with two long range Mechs unloading while denying return fire.

KnoxZone posted:

I suspect these Clanners won't be the patient sort. Even if they are all loaded to capacity with long ranged firepower I suspect one or two will move up a bit in the next turn or two.

Truly, there is no better advantage then your enemies making mistakes.
That's why I don't want to rely on that!
Anyway - do we at south lance keep away from the Ha Otoko LOS? I don't want to give present a target if I can avoid it, but if if I'm not the only one, I might as well - need the mobility.
Now, I could:
1. Reverse - keep LOS to minimum, and I think they can get a shot on the Naginata anyway. The "and then what?" is either to engage the Summoner (if he closes up), advance to the cover, or charge straight ahead (if Timber wolf get close). It may get a little crowed.
0533 allow me to avoid Ha Otoko, if needed (I'm leaning toward this hex).
2. Advance - 1234 get my at 9 hexes to Timber wolf. To-10 on my side, to-7 on his, and I'm exposed to the Ha Otoko, but gotta close up sometime.
3. Charge - 1433 gets me even closer, with better AC, but it will get me in the Summoner LOS, and I'll be the only one to be shot by him.

CourValant posted:

LAW is huge, I'm sure they won't miss this one little island facility which apparently makes boats? (smile)

Fine, fine, I'll leave it alone; actually forgot about the LAW objective. (smile)
You wanted to fight the LAW...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This facility doesn't just make boats.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

PoptartsNinja posted:

No it makes boat mechs, the newest invention in the battletech universe

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Exmond posted:

No it makes boat mechs, the newest invention in the battletech universe

Man, Hexapods are so inefficient. Sure you'll never need to roll a piloting check, but having all those legs really cuts down on the number of weapons you can mount.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Land-sea mechs, or LSMs. This is the technological turning point if we secure the island.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

Man, Hexapods are so inefficient. Sure you'll never need to roll a piloting check, but having all those legs really cuts down on the number of weapons you can mount.

Looks like plenty of weapons to me. :colbert:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AJ_Impy posted:

Looks like plenty of weapons to me. :colbert:

I fuckin loved those buggers. Now I need to totally re-play supcom, too, thanks :colbert:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

I fuckin loved those buggers. Now I need to totally re-play supcom, too, thanks :colbert:

Go and get forged alliance forever which has improved things quite a bit on both the graphics and general performance front and still allows people to play the campaigns, custom missions and so on.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I'm pretty sure I still have that installed on some drive or another, but definitely worth an update. Still a bit silly that nothing really quite properly compares to Supcom 10 years later.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If I could get FA with Supcom 2's pathing improvements I'd be pretty loving happy.

pre:
Loyalist 

Mass: 55 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-F-A
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 13,485,775 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,726

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 330 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 64.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97.2 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    1  Large Pulse Laser
    1  LB 10-X AC
    1  ECM Suite
    1  Laser Anti-Missile System
    1  Active Probe
    2  B-Pods
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    91 points                3.00
    Internal Locations: 1 HD, 2 LT, 1 RT, 2 LA, 1 RA
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             330                      12.50
    Walking MP: 6
    Running MP: 9
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             10(20)                    0.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 182                  9.50
    Armor Locations: 2 LT, 1 RT, 2 LA, 1 LL, 1 RL
    CASE Locations: RA                                                     0.00

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     18           28        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  7         
                                           L/R Torso     13           19        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  7         
                                             L/R Arm     9            18        
                                             L/R Leg     13           25        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LB 10-X AC                                   RA        2         5        10.00
Large Pulse Laser                            LA        10        2         6.00
Laser Anti-Missile System                    RT        5         1         1.00
Active Probe                                 RT        0         1         1.00
ECM Suite                                    CT        0         2         2.00
B-Pod                                        RL        0         1         1.00
B-Pod                                        LL        0         1         1.00
@LB 10-X (Cluster) (10)                      RA        -         1         1.00
@LB 10-X (Slug) (10)                         RA        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 18

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 17
6          2       2       2       0      2     0   Structure:  3
Special Abilities: AECM, AMS, PRB, RCN, CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, FLK 1/1/1
I couldn't find a booby trap button in SSW so I went with B-Pods

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 10, 2017

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

The only thing Northern lance can get los on atm is the two assaults, everything else has terrain or buildings blocking. You could just all break los and move to the left, if those two fast close range mechs close in you can probably take at least one out before the rest of the clan forces catch up.

I think if you take, like, 703, 4, 5, and 804 then you break los with everything, and can then decently easily move either direction around the huge building.

The Gargoyle can jump, so we won't just be dealing with the two faster mechs. It can be in position to attack us next turn no matter which direction we decide to go, so if we go left we aren't just dealing with the Nova and Balius.

Part of me just wants to go through past the Monitors since the primary objective is to meet up with Isoroku, not to clear the field. We don't want this to turn into the mission to rescue Carlos Marik all over again. The majority of the opfor is moving south to boot, so we're on a bit of a timer. On the other hand, we really don't want to get flanked by the two running around the left edge either, and none of us are exactly fast so we're going to have to shoot through something. How do the rest of you want to handle it? We're pretty outgunned so we're going to need to stick together to have a chance.

I would really like to get those Monitors online to provide a distraction if nothing else, but I don't have any clue how we would go about doing that. Any ideas?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

Part of me just wants to go through past the Monitors since the primary objective is to meet up with Isoroku, not to clear the field . . . the majority of the opfor is moving south to boot, so we're on a bit of a timer.

Agreed. Southern Flank will get overrun if we don't get to them 'soon'; we won't have the chance to clear the board up North before that happens.

Yakumo posted:

On the other hand, we really don't want to get flanked by the two running around the left edge either, and none of us are exactly fast so we're going to have to shoot through something. How do the rest of you want to handle it? We're pretty outgunned so we're going to need to stick together to have a chance.

Definitely don't want to have those two 6/9 'knife fighters' loose in our rears as we try to make it down South; all that close range firepower will take the four of us down if they get back-shots.

Here are my thoughts; we right hook down the left side, take out the Balius and Nova, then make a run (as much as Assaults can run) for the Southern Flank.

Hopefully, the Gargoyle and Stone Rhino will get caught up in the terrain; we're all assaults, so at the very least we can maintain the distance, as opposed to being overrun by them.

Most likely, one of us (Northern Flankers) will have to rear-guard for the other 3; its a death sentence, however, the primary is to rendezvous in the South.

Yakumo posted:

I would really like to get those Monitors online to provide a distraction if nothing else, but I don't have any clue how we would go about doing that. Any ideas?

PTN said the Monitors are operational; they just need crew. So, I'm expecting some details soon in an update, something along the lines of escorting the crews to the ships. Again, likely a death sentence for one of us, however, probably worth it to secure the North.

Unless PTN wants to give us more details now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Unless PTN wants to give us more details now.

See those two white towers?

Let them see you while discouraging the Clanners from having Line of Sight to them.

• Locked thread