Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Enterprise was just a bunch of white people and their black driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Payndz posted:

The thing with Archer is that it's pretty obvious he wasn't meant to be an incompetent, pig-headed rear end in a top hat, at least in the eyes of his creators (Berman and Braga). The intent was more on the lines of "he'll make mistakes at first, but his inherent all-American can-do heroism will pull him through and he'll end up teaching those aliens a thing or two about the value of the human spirit!" :bahgawd: I mean, the adverts for the show in the UK literally just said "Kirk's Childhood Hero" with a picture of him in a spacesuit. But just as Janeway ended up seeming like a bipolar psychopath through of the weight of plots demanding she act that way in order to work, Archer's cumulative actions turned him into, well, an incompetent pig-headed rear end in a top hat. (And a lot quicker than Janeway's deterioration.)

Funnily enough, I watched the ENT Mirror Universe episodes the other day, and Mirror Archer really only differs in his open jaw-clenching malevolence. Otherwise he's just as angry, petty and prone to loving up as his Prime counterpart.

Mirror Archer arguably has stronger characterization, since he's that way by a combination of social pressure from general Mirror Universe upbringing and specifically being second in command of "his" own ship. The unapologetic beaming contempt when he's ordered to a boarding party and goes "the bridge is yours, CAPTAIN" is Bakula's finest glazed ham.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not even sure at what point I became aware Star Trek was even a thing.

For instance, I had some TNG stickers from Honey Nut Cheerios on my kindergarten lunch box and they were there because I already knew what Star Trek was. How? Don't know.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

I'm not even sure at what point I became aware Star Trek was even a thing.

For instance, I had some TNG stickers from Honey Nut Cheerios on my kindergarten lunch box and they were there because I already knew what Star Trek was. How? Don't know.

TNG and Star Trek's 25th anniversary caused a fair bit of cultural osmosis in the late 80s-mid 90s, there were Trek jokes in Seinfeld and SNL and The Simpsons and my dad still has a bunch of TV Guides with Trek covers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Archer is trying his best

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have to say I really don't buy Scott Bakula as an actor who should be a Star Trek captain. I may have an irrational dislike of him though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I have to say I really don't buy Scott Bakula as an actor who should be a Star Trek captain. I may have an irrational dislike of him though.

He's like, infinitely more charismatic in virtually every other role he's been in, it's really weird how he managed to abandon all that as Archer

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just can't watch Bakula in Enterprise without being intensely aware of how uncomfortable he seems in the role at all times.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just can't watch Bakula in Enterprise without being intensely aware of how uncomfortable he seems in the role at all times.

He's waiting for Al to show up and tell him why he's there?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Scott Bakula is an incredibly talented man and to this day his performance as Archer is a loving mystery to me, I could buy some bad direction in a few episodes here and there but for the entire run of the series?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like Bakula in Quantum leap, but he plays a whiney doof. I don't know why someone thought a whiney doof was a good archetype for a Star Trek captain.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

When did geordi go from 'Bridge officer' to being expected to spend episodes in engineering?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Alchenar posted:

When did geordi go from 'Bridge officer' to being expected to spend episodes in engineering?

When Biff Yeager hosed up on his letter campaign.

Laffin @ Star Trek producers being like "I dunno get another dude with a scottish accent down in engineering?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alchenar posted:

At the very start of season two. Like, half a minute into the first episode of the season they mention how he's now chief engineer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is that also the episode that establishes Worf is now security chief? Trying to remember.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Weren’t they trying to avoid having Engineering in the show, so didn’t have a Chief Engineer only for Roddenberry to add a scene in Main Engineering so that they would have to build a set for it? Otherwise they’d likely not have the budget for a set later in the series.

To be honest, after Season 1, it’d be a toss up between Geordi and Wesley as Chief Engineer (I feel Wesley would have been better served had he been based in Engineering and prepared for Starfleet Academy there experience, rather than having him just fly the ship. Plus it meant he could have bonded with Geordi, rather than not really having anyone as was the case)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/76am53/til_the_guy_who_played_lt_cmdr_argyle_on_tng_got/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Epicurius posted:

He's waiting for Al to show up and tell him why he's there?

Then when he did, he just threw him in prison! :ohdear:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

As maligned as the space brewery was in ST09, at least that felt like...you know...a gigantic powerplant for starship. The TNG engineering room is like a two car garage with a glowy tube in it.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I only started watching Star Trek (TNG only) couple months ago, after finishing Legend of the Galactic Heroes and probably subconsciously wanted to see more long sci-fi poo poo. My mom liked TOS she has told me while I watch TNG, but my father surely buried any chance of watching sci-fi especially a tv series so she hasn't seen anything in decades nor told me to check it out. I guess like most popular things without watching you have an uniformed opinion or idea of something, and not that I had a negative opinion of Star Trek or anything but I didn't feel as though it would be a show I'd enjoy as much as my all time favorites like I feel TNG really is, or I definitely would have put it on a lot sooner during many a "what do you want to watch" nights.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sash! posted:

As maligned as the space brewery was in ST09, at least that felt like...you know...a gigantic powerplant for starship. The TNG engineering room is like a two car garage with a glowy tube in it.

Ehhh at least with the TNG engine room they had the common sense to hide a lot of that with sparse lighting and shadows so that the warp core dominated your view. The ST09 brewery is lit up like a Christmas tree because they’re still just using whatever fluorescent lights they already had installed. It wouldn’t look anywhere near as bad if they had actually lit it like a professional movie. They even fixed the issue later in the film when Scotty’s flying through the water tubes! It still looks like poo poo but it doesn’t look like they were literally filming in a brewery.

That scene where Bones and Kirk go down to wherever Uhura is by the giant vats has to be the ugliest set dressing in the entire franchise.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I swear they had to have leaned into how much people hated Archer in seasons 3 and 4, because he definitely starts making worse and worse choices that the show actively calls him out for...and then they try and drum up sympathy when he gets kidnapped for the 50th time, or volunteers for yet another suicide mission. They just didn't know what the gently caress to do with him and I don't blame Bakula for playing him like a whiny arrogant rear end in a top hat.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did laugh when he finally had a moment of lucid self-reflection when he was back on earth in season 4, falling into a depressive, cynical self-hatred. But then he got laid and went, “lol nevermind”.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My mom is a massive nerd who got me into Star Trek and scifi in general. I saw episodes when I was really young, like 4 or 5 and thought they were on some long term space mission for 5 years where they never went back to Earth. She had watched it during the first run.

Then I went to my grandmother's for a month for the summer and we pulled in at like 10pm. I was around 9 or 10. I got bored with the "adult talk" in the kitchen as my parents caught up with grandma, so I wandered to the living room, flipped on WPIX and The Cloud Minders was on. "Oh I remember this show from when I was a kid, maybe I'll watch it."

By the end of the summer I was watching it nightly, buying books and blueprints and the original hardcover Technical Manual from the used bookstore down the street. I had already graduated from reading kids scifi like old Tom Swift books from the 50s to classic pulp scifi and Trek went right with it.

I was lucky enough to be able to say I was a pretty hardcore fan before the premiere of TNG and remember being excited but skeptical of this "new" Star Trek.

I got into Doctor Who the next year and to this day that and Star Trek are the twin pillars of my scifi fandom. Still go over to my mom's weekly to watch new Star Trek and various other scifi shows we're both into. She got me into :bsg: and I got her into Supernatural. Once I remember I was in college and I called her and was saying I had seen this great show late at night and she should check it out--it was Babylon 5 "All Alone In The Night"--she said "oh I saw that too, I was going to tell you about it!" :D

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
made a Fan Film today

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1295452596317151241?s=19

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lmbo

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Scott Bakula is an incredibly talented man and to this day his performance as Archer is a loving mystery to me, I could buy some bad direction in a few episodes here and there but for the entire run of the series?

He's so good as Mirror Archer, too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Starfleet is a military organization and Wesley Crusher is a child soldier

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Enterprise would have been better with Captain Sterling Archer rather than the Archer who's first name I honestly can't remember, but probably something generic like Frank or Tim or Bob.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

final frontier is a good long episode

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Final Frontier gets poo poo on far too much

It's stupid, but it's fun, and it doesn't commit the terrible sin of being boring

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The interactions and emotional beats between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are some of the best in the franchise and don't get enough credit.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
LOL, I'm so happy I'm not the only person that interpreted Archer as the mediocre white dude that gets the job because his dad was important. Especially when Enterprise followed up two previous series that had an African American, and a woman captain, both whom were given detailed backstories about why they were uniquely suited to command.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Look, I love Bakula and Quantum Leap is comfort food tv, but there was no way in hell Berman and Braga were ever going to have anyone other than an average white guy lead that show. I really think Enterprise S1&2 are Rick Berman’s ideal version of Star Trek; just as bland and creatively-adequate as possible with an entitled middle-aged white guy running things.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sash! posted:

The sound sells the Ent-D engineering, that persistent deep deep thumping lets you know that we can see of the Warp Core is just part of some immense machine.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Anonymous Zebra posted:

LOL, I'm so happy I'm not the only person that interpreted Archer as the mediocre white dude that gets the job because his dad was important. Especially when Enterprise followed up two previous series that had an African American, and a woman captain, both whom were given detailed backstories about why they were uniquely suited to command.
I mean, Avery Brooks had that amazing shark smile. No one else had a chance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

Mmm, that did always kinda bug me, to be honest. It's one of those things where these days they probably would've done a bit of CG set extension.

I like how Lower Decks took advantage of the medium to make an engineering that was basically TNG but at a scale that seems appropriate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tmm3k posted:

Enterprise would have been better with Captain Sterling Archer rather than the Archer who's first name I honestly can't remember, but probably something generic like Frank or Tim or Bob.
“This is how you get Klingons, Trip!”

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

“This is how you get Tribbles, Trip!”

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WilWheaton posted:

Final Frontier gets poo poo on far too much

It's stupid, but it's fun, and it doesn't commit the terrible sin of being boring

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The interactions and emotional beats between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are some of the best in the franchise and don't get enough credit.

Been saying this since '89