Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

blinkyzero posted:

Okay nevermind that really is poo poo, heh.

Actually I was wrong and it's 12,000 RMB now. Oops. Oh yeah, and we also have a bonus scheme based on professional development projects that adds up to 4,000 RMB a year.

Still not ideal though. Only way I can sleep well at night is by providing as much training and support as possible. Also most of our courses are already developed so just need adapting, they don't need to be created wholesale (or based on antiquated Chinese textbooks) like at most universities. For me it was decent enough because a) I used to be on 5,000 (at a top Chinese university), b) my teaching improved vastly thanks to the support and training and c) I didn't have to deal directly with Chinese university administration. It should definitely be higher though.

caberham posted:

Wonderful business plan! Hey how's your free time? If I visit Shanghai January want to meet up

Usually pretty good. I'm free all evenings except Tuesday, so send me a PM if you're in the neighbourhood. I'll show you the sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Even KidCastle (the *other* other crappy franchised education company) offers 10k plus bonuses that make it 11k, and that's for 20hr teaching / 10hr prep/office, and not Shanghai rent.

That said, it's not nearly as stimulating as university teaching would be, I guess. If I still feel like more teaching after I've got a year's experience, I'll probably go teach science at an international school or something for (relatively) mad bank.

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009

Daduzi posted:

Gulluoglu: If you've got any specific questions, hit me up.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The salary I was offered was 12,350; is that realistically enough to be able to get a place close enough to work without having a horrible or nightmarish commute if I'm in Shanghai? I know Shanghai has a pretty good subway system, but know nothing about their bus lines. After being in Beijing for a couple of months, I know that navigating Chinese bus lines without a good grasp on Mandarin is pretty much impossible unless you've prepped in advance or have some kind of map/app.

One of my goals is to learn Mandarin, and the main reason I want to consider this job is because this is a way for me to learn it while getting paid and getting my foot in the door for some other work opportunities in China. When I asked my recruiter about advancement opportunities within EF, she sounded kind of vague and just told me that the company sends out internal emails all the time about different positions they are offering. I asked one of my other friends who is a teacher there now and he sent along a couple of those emails to me and they were things related to joining sales or marketing teams or becoming administrative assistants. I have a Masters degree and years of previous work experience, I'm not looking to start at square one again or go into something unrelated like sales. I'm just wondering if these are the typical opportunities that she meant, or if there were other things that come up too that would be more appropriate to my education/experience level.

I do like that EF has ways to gain other certifications and they offer Mandarin lessons. Are the lessons they offer a viable way to try to reach proficiency or fluency in Mandarin, or should I be considering something much more intensive? The recruiter didn't know a lot about it since she wasn't taking advantage of those courses, but from what she did know it just sounded like it was once a week or something you have to sign up for and hope they have open availability.

Gulluoglu fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 14, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys know the rate for wall street? It seems like a popular place to teach since it's more focused on adults and class room management is much easier

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I worked as an emergency teacher at EF (in Beijing they were still English First) for a month and a halfish and the manager was an idiot who was also the only person in the building that couldn't speak English.

Besides that I had no trouble getting paid and I only worked 20 hours a week, prob like 25ish if you count the commute too and was paid 12,000. I would have kept doing it but they didn't have anything else for me or the manager just didn't like me because I gave a kid who was leaving for the States within a week my QQ information when he asked. The guy thought I was trying to steal students even though the kid was about to get on the plane and had already paid for the duration of the course up front.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a good group of friends here in Tianjin that work at EF and love it. The group of EF people a few years back were total shits but the people we have now seem quite good. Wall Street in Tianjin has always been horrible. I am pretty sure that it varies from city to city. Lucky English sucks in Tianjin. So does Baby English, Orange English, Nancy's Friend English and New Oriental.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

goldboilermark posted:

I've got a good group of friends here in Tianjin that work at EF and love it. The group of EF people a few years back were total shits but the people we have now seem quite good. Wall Street in Tianjin has always been horrible. I am pretty sure that it varies from city to city. Lucky English sucks in Tianjin. So does Baby English, Orange English, Nancy's Friend English and New Oriental.

I haven't heard of any of those last five except New Oriental. If they exist in Beijing I'm surprised I never saw or heard of them. I know Beijing is home to Rainbow House English though, and my groups of friends always use to introduce one guy as working at a gay strip club because of it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There's a Rainbow Bar in Tianjin and it's a total mess, I have a bunch of bad stories from there but I was part of a group that got in a huge fight there during Spring Festival in 2012 and I've never had any desire to go back. The fight literally started because my old roommate was trying to hook up with a girl that he so kindly referred to as Horse Face in Chinese.

Actually the fight and commotion had totally died down and everything was going to be ok but I was a few beers deep and feeling a bit cheeky and when I went to the bathroom, I passed the group that had fronted us and I winked at one of the guys and that got the rumpus started again lol, good times

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Welp, seems me and my buttlover will be spending the next 6 months in Tianjin starting next week. We will be working with New Century Culture and Language Center, I've met one of their founders during a language intensive and he invited us to teach and study there. How bad will things reasonably go?

KonMari DeathMetal fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 14, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gulluoglu posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The salary I was offered was 12,350; is that realistically enough to be able to get a place close enough to work without having a horrible or nightmarish commute if I'm in Shanghai? I know Shanghai has a pretty good subway system, but know nothing about their bus lines. After being in Beijing for a couple of months, I know that navigating Chinese bus lines without a good grasp on Mandarin is pretty much impossible unless you've prepped in advance or have some kind of map/app.

One of my goals is to learn Mandarin, and the main reason I want to consider this job is because this is a way for me to learn it while getting paid and getting my foot in the door for some other work opportunities in China. When I asked my recruiter about advancement opportunities within EF, she sounded kind of vague and just told me that the company sends out internal emails all the time about different positions they are offering. I asked one of my other friends who is a teacher there now and he sent along a couple of those emails to me and they were things related to joining sales or marketing teams or becoming administrative assistants. I have a Masters degree and years of previous work experience, I'm not looking to start at square one again or go into something unrelated like sales. I'm just wondering if these are the typical opportunities that she meant, or if there were other things that come up too that would be more appropriate to my education/experience level.

I do like that EF has ways to gain other certifications and they offer Mandarin lessons. Are the lessons they offer a viable way to try to reach proficiency or fluency in Mandarin, or should I be considering something much more intensive? The recruiter didn't know a lot about it since she wasn't taking advantage of those courses, but from what she did know it just sounded like it was once a week or something you have to sign up for and hope they have open availability.

The salary isn't bad for Shanghai but I wouldn't expect much from their Chinese lessons. Unless you're a polyglot or a savant, you're not going to reach fluency with those classes. I would recommend something more intensive if you wanted to reach that level of mastery. I would also take any job that paid well that wasn't English if I were you because it could lead into more opportunities and teaching English is the equivalent to a gap year. I taught history at academic institutions and even then that "experience" is pretty useless outside of China. If you have a masters in something other than English or education, you're not doing yourself any favors other than showing you can live in a "harsh" environment for a while.

EDIT: I would not take a job with a lower pay than 12,000 in Shanghai. Some people say 10k but go with 12k because you will probably be paying rent. Don't look for apartments in the laowai heavy or "nicer" areas but on the edge of them because it will make a big difference in terms of rent.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 14, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brotein_Shake posted:

Welp, seems me and my buttlover will be spending the next 6 months in Tianjin starting next week. We will be working with New Century Culture and Language Center, I've met one of their founders during a language intensive and he invited us to teach and study there. How bad will things reasonably go?

I've never heard of New Century Culture and Language Center but if you've already met one of the people, at least you can assume they aren't going to harvest your organs?

If you all show up and are looking for places to to hang out or whatever, hit me up, I am willing to show you around if ya like.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

If you all show up and are looking for places to to hang out or whatever, hit me up, I am willing to show you around if ya like.

Good school / bad school. This person is your man in Tianjin

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lol yeah when I moved to Shanghai I asked some expat friends what location I should live in and I was paying 3.5k a month for a box on huai hai zhong lu by xintiandi.

Further out would have been much cheaper and it's plenty OK out there barring a potential commute.

Rent is like the one thing that keeps me scared of SH and other such places. My 1600/月 place in CD would probably be 5-6k in Shanghai or Beijing or Shenzhen due to it's proximity to everything and general convenience.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

1600/月 place

In Shenzhen, this would get you either a crappy apartment far away from anything cool or a closet where the rats live in the cool part of the city.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine lives right next to xinzhuang station at the end of line 1. She has 3 room mates but her place is huge. The place is 250m, so that's like 2500 square feet with a large living room. Unfortunately, there's no elevator in her house but her share of the rent is 800 RMB a month. It's a bit far to the city centre and takes 45 minutes to be in JingAn but it's still manageable for weekend trips or going out. Her office is on YiShan so her commute is just 20 minutes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

Friend of mine lives right next to xinzhuang station at the end of line 1. She has 3 room mates but her place is huge. The place is 250m, so that's like 2500 square feet with a large living room. Unfortunately, there's no elevator in her house but her share of the rent is 800 RMB a month. It's a bit far to the city centre and takes 45 minutes to be in JingAn but it's still manageable for weekend trips or going out. Her office is on YiShan so her commute is just 20 minutes.

Don't live out there, live closer to the city. I lived by the South Station, which is closer, and that was rough. I'd stick to within line 4 and not past line 8 to the East as a rule because that leaves you much closer to the areas you want to be in. Don't live in Pudong either, there's nothing out there despite it being built up.

The Laowai Ghetto is mostly families who work for corporations or the big international schools. If you're young and single, not the place to be. The Bund and Pudong are pretty opulent but there are some good views at some of the bars and there's some good restaurants, like Tocks. You want to be in that green area or around. Try to be close to a subway stop and remember that just because there's a subway stop, doesn't mean it's realistic. I think one of the lines even goes to a water village now.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Don't live out there, live closer to the city. I lived by the South Station, which is closer, and that was rough. I'd stick to within line 4 and not past line 8 to the East as a rule because that leaves you much closer to the areas you want to be in. Don't live in Pudong either, there's nothing out there despite it being built up.

The Laowai Ghetto is mostly families who work for corporations or the big international schools. If you're young and single, not the place to be. The Bund and Pudong are pretty opulent but there are some good views at some of the bars and there's some good restaurants, like Tocks. You want to be in that green area or around. Try to be close to a subway stop and remember that just because there's a subway stop, doesn't mean it's realistic. I think one of the lines even goes to a water village now.

Mad props for the Prester John reference.

Wherever he is, Umberto Eco just got a boner. :v:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Fuuuuck I'm relieved that my apartment is right inside Civilization, though I think that region could be extended further south along line 7 or line 8 as long as you're no further south than Yaohua Road and are within 5 minutes of the subway station.

I'm a little surprised though; I had no idea the subway lines went so far north, or that any of that area was considered Shanghai.

And yeah, don't live in Pudong unless you like being home a lot. In that case, maybe in Pudong you can get a slightly bigger apartment and don't need roommates.

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009

Thanks for the advice and helpful color-coded map, I'll look at that area when I get closer to moving. I'm still young and unmarried, though have a ~~Chinese Girlfriend~~ I met when finishing off the Masters, so we'll want to be able to go out and enjoy some semblance of a nightlife too. I'm still not entirely sure where my future workplace is at in relation to anything in the city (EF HQ). I'm hoping to be able to get by without a roommate, is that doable in that area or am I going to be eating instant noodles every day?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Id legit live in a place called the land of wind and ghosts.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Tom Smykowski posted:

Id legit live in a place called the land of wind and ghosts.

From what I've seen about Chinese ghosts in movies, they're all sexy ladies so I'm totes down with that. Also, wind gets rid of that air pollution.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Gulluoglu posted:

Thanks for the advice and helpful color-coded map, I'll look at that area when I get closer to moving. I'm still young and unmarried, though have a ~~Chinese Girlfriend~~ I met when finishing off the Masters, so we'll want to be able to go out and enjoy some semblance of a nightlife too. I'm still not entirely sure where my future workplace is at in relation to anything in the city (EF HQ). I'm hoping to be able to get by without a roommate, is that doable in that area or am I going to be eating instant noodles every day?

A lot will depend on where the school you're working at is. A number are downtown but a lot are also in the red zones listed. And some are in areas that aren't even on that map. If you're in a school in the far outer areas it might be worth considering renting there. It'll be much cheaper, and it'll be much better for learning Mandarin.

If you rent in the centre then you're almost certainly looking at sharing a place. Outer areas it's possible to rent solo but not downtown on a teacher's salary.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I've been very happy sharing an apartment with another English teacher. It meant that I could live somewhere nice and shiny for 1400/mo (Kunshan, near Shanghai, the savings would be more significant in Shanghai proper), and I've saved a ton of money by being able to casually talk to someone in English without having to hit the expat bars, etc.

Yes, I know, I know "~~~Chinese Girlfriend~~~" etc, but until that, uh, happy day, a flatmate is good company. As long as you don't choose to live with That Guy.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There were a few months where I didn't speak to another native English speaker and I didn't miss it at all.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Atopian posted:

I've been very happy sharing an apartment with another English teacher. It meant that I could live somewhere nice and shiny for 1400/mo
BadAstronaut made the same argument, but I'm not really seeing it. I could buy a medium pizza by myself, or I could save some money and split a large pizza with another guy. Technically I saved money but half a large is still smaller than a full medium.

If you're sharing a living room + kitchen + bathroom + balcony with someone else, you're kinda ending up with less space overall than if you just rented a smaller place by yourself (unless this is someone with a crazy shift who is never home when you are or if this is the only possible way to live near a subway station).

Atopian posted:

I've saved a ton of money by being able to casually talk to someone in English without having to hit the expat bars, etc.
:what:
Are expats the only people that speak English or something?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Lentt is the gooniest goon ultra lurker though. Both sides have merit. Depends on what you are looking for.

If bad astronaut was my room mate we would have created goon paradise. Actually any city I go I try to make it a goon paradise. Such is my power

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

caberham posted:

Lentt is the gooniest goon ultra lurker though. Both sides have merit. Depends on what you are looking for.

If bad astronaut was my room mate we would have created goon paradise. Actually any city I go I try to make it a goon paradise. Such is my power

Yeah I guess I do put a pretty high value on privacy. I like the idea of not needing to think about how loud I'm being or having to share my stuff or have roommate's friends show up or any of the other stuff that sucked about Uni dorms.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've lived with good roommates and bad roommates, and I'd probably rather live with good roommates than alone but there are so many lovely roommates it's easier to live alone.

The best place I lived in Chengdu was a 2 storey sky castle with like 3 balconies that were all huge, but that cost 1200 each with 3 people!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

I've been very happy sharing an apartment with another English teacher. It meant that I could live somewhere nice and shiny for 1400/mo (Kunshan, near Shanghai, the savings would be more significant in Shanghai proper), and I've saved a ton of money by being able to casually talk to someone in English without having to hit the expat bars, etc.

Yes, I know, I know "~~~Chinese Girlfriend~~~" etc, but until that, uh, happy day, a flatmate is good company. As long as you don't choose to live with That Guy.

Are you in Suzhou now or something? Besides expat bars, you can set up your board game groups or goon groups right?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

The best place I lived in Chengdu was a 2 storey sky castle with like 3 balconies that were all huge, but that cost 1200 each with 3 people!

3600 is still like half what I pay for 600 square feet in Hong Kong suburbs :(

Edit: and ghosts

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

We should all live at caberham's place because it is that awesome.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

quote:

Are expats the only people that speak English or something?

No, not at all - they keyword was just 'casually', as in, without having to worry about people getting references, etc. I certainly don't live in a bubble, and most of the English I speak is with Chinese people (even if they do frown at the idea of 'mixed drinks' and 'staying out after 10pm'), but I have this itch for 'completely natural' conversation that needs scratching periodically.

caberham posted:

Are you in Suzhou now or something? Besides expat bars, you can set up your board game groups or goon groups right?

Still Kunshan, so no such group. It's sad; I know an awesome group of people in Hangzhou, and a few good ones in Suzhou, and I'm aware that Shanghai has everything going on, but no-one is in Kunshan (that I know about). :-/

...which is a pity, because I'm a filthy RPG-geek, and I'd love to GM something chilled and social, or indeed play boardgames. Maybe I'll persuade some of the few people I know locally to join in! (although boardgames will have to wait until my planned trip home, since I didn't bring any with me)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

LentThem posted:

BadAstronaut made the same argument, but I'm not really seeing it. I could buy a medium pizza by myself, or I could save some money and split a large pizza with another guy. Technically I saved money but half a large is still smaller than a full medium.

If you're sharing a living room + kitchen + bathroom + balcony with someone else, you're kinda ending up with less space overall than if you just rented a smaller place by yourself (unless this is someone with a crazy shift who is never home when you are or if this is the only possible way to live near a subway station)

Issue with Shanghai though is that almost the only places designed for single people/ couples are the modern, expat-focused developments. I.e. completely out of the price range of anyone who works here who wasn't sent over on a Western salary. Once that's discounted you're looking at paying half your monthly salary for a 2 bedroom apartment, sharing and paying a quarter of your salary or living in a subdivided hellhole with shared kitchen and toilet. At least in the centre, further out you can get a large-rear end modern apartment for the same price as a shared apartment downtown.

Also the whole 3 months rent + 1 month in advance thing means anywhere more expensive can become prohibitively so when you first arrive.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Daduzi posted:

Regarding EF (full disclosure: I currently work for them as an academic manager but this is an honest account of what I know):

These places are crappy English mills that churn out gobs of money for the owners but it's much, much better to work as a real teacher in an actual school. You get paid better (or have drastically reduced hours) and are less surrounded by self-important nonsense. I've taught at training centers, universities, middle, and high schools with naught but two arms, white skin, and a bachelor's in English.

The training center was absolutely the worst, though. Apple Apple, Ball Ball, drilling, flash cards, games, and drawing stars on the board. Yaaaay. Today I explained the Crimean crisis to a bunch of 14 year-olds, because they have to go talk about it in Model UN next weekend. Again, I don't have any special qualifications. I have a friend that just took a job in Guangdong that's double my salary with half the hours and he's an alcoholic reprobate who never went to university (cool guy tho).

China is a land of opportunity. No one needs to work for EF.

edit: is this something that exists in every country; a sort of pocket industry that exploits the naïveté of newly arrived foreigners?

bad day fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 16, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bad day posted:

These places are crappy English mills that churn out gobs of money for the owners but it's much, much better to work as a real teacher in an actual school. You get paid better (or have drastically reduced hours) and are less surrounded by self-important nonsense. I've taught at training centers, universities, middle, and high schools with naught but two arms, white skin, and a bachelor's in English.

The training center was absolutely the worst, though. Apple Apple, Ball Ball, drilling, flash cards, games, and drawing stars on the board. Yaaaay. Today I explained the Crimean crisis to a bunch of 14 year-olds, because they have to go talk about it in Model UN next weekend. Again, I don't have any special qualifications. I have a friend that just took a job in Guangdong that's double my salary with half the hours and he's an alcoholic reprobate who never went to university (cool guy tho).

edit: is this something that exists in every country; a sort of pocket industry that exploits the naïveté of newly arrived foreigners?

Where are you finding these jobs? I never found anything outside a training center that was offering more than 8000 RMB, though some of them did have better hours. Some were offering as little as 4000. That is, apart from international schools, who want certified teachers (which I will be in a year and a half).

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

bad day posted:

Yes. :mrgw:

Hey, China's made it up to tier II now. I guess that's good. It was tier III a couple years ago.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Like I said in my post, I don't work for EF training centres.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bad day posted:

right on the money

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The most money I ever made for the effort was at a training center (12500 w/ housing allowance for 8 classes a week) so I really don't see that as a bad option if that's the kind of thing you're looking fo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

Where are you finding these jobs? I never found anything outside a training center that was offering more than 8000 RMB, though some of them did have better hours. Some were offering as little as 4000. That is, apart from international schools, who want certified teachers (which I will be in a year and a half).

Most ex-China goons worked in 15k+ jobs, mostly High School or China style international school