Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There are plenty of sucessful creative people who were goons at one point but were either banned (Neil Cicierega, the girlfriend of the guy who made Homestuck), left for greener pastures (the entirety of Weird Twitter, Fatal Farm, Everdraed, Chapo Trap House), or basically only post here when they have some show or Kickstarter to promote (IanJ, Gausswerks, Josh Sawyer, Freddie Wong, the Nightvale dude).

Though losing people isn't always a bad thing :hb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0QdRj1L-UA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Tell me, good poster, what comes to mind when you hear the phrase "goon project"
hilarious trainwreck

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

There are plenty of sucessful creative people who were goons at one point but were either banned (Neil Cicierega, the girlfriend of the guy who made Homestuck), left for greener pastures (the entirety of Weird Twitter, Fatal Farm, Everdraed, Chapo Trap House), or basically only post here when they have some show or Kickstarter to promote (IanJ, Gausswerks, Josh Sawyer, Freddie Wong, the Nightvale dude).

Confirming the fact that you can't be successful in life if you spend too much time posting in these dead forums.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are a lot of fantastic goon game developers who are still forums regulars.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

I can't tell if Neo Yokio is incredibly bad or mostly bad but also art.

By the way, the person who responded with "Yes" was completely right.

Everyone watch it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Wasn't the guy who translated the Pokemon Red to Diamond games here for a while too?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He even named an NPC trainer after the PC of a Pokémon Crystal LP here.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Waffleman_ posted:

He even named an NPC trainer after the PC of a Pokémon Crystal LP here.

And changed her Pokemon lineup to reflect the LP

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Doug Dinsdale still posts here. And while he didn't do the Gold/Silver remakes, they still used a lot of his work.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Pick posted:

By the way, the person who responded with "Yes" was completely right.

Everyone watch it.

I could spend hours analyzing what works and doesn't work in Neo Yokio and 90% of it is the same thing. Its so difficult to explain and figure out what is intent and what isn't. Is Kaz's final episode drive through every single thing rich society has destroyed in Neo Yokio, from careless treatment of art to environment to the slums an intentional damnation or done because it seemed cool? I still don't know.

I love Neo Yokio.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished watching Big Mouth. That is a drat good show even if the character designs are little weird.

Also the My Little Pony movie comes out soon. I'm not gonna see it but some of the people I work with are very excited about it.
I work in an animation studio, so that makes sense.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Did anyone get the chance to see Loving Vincent yet?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Did anyone get the chance to see Loving Vincent yet?

I tried but both screenings sold quick at the local film fest. Which I hope is a good sign for wider release!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Have a plucky sci-fi short from last year called ADAM: Chapter 1. Interestingly, Neill Blomkamp directed a sequel to it this year as part of Oats Studios, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

K. Waste posted:

Have a plucky sci-fi short from last year called ADAM: Chapter 1. Interestingly, Neill Blomkamp directed a sequel to it this year as part of Oats Studios, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA

Oats Studios is really neat. They have been doing some really interesting stuff. Rakka, Firebase, and Zygote are just fantastic. Their animation stuff with Fluke is just bizarre and interesting to me at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_4Qqnlpi-s

I'm curious as to the end-game of the studio but all the stuff they've put out thus far has been interesting at least.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Crazy Ferret posted:

Oats Studios is really neat. They have been doing some really interesting stuff. Rakka, Firebase, and Zygote are just fantastic. Their animation stuff with Fluke is just bizarre and interesting to me at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_4Qqnlpi-s

I'm curious as to the end-game of the studio but all the stuff they've put out thus far has been interesting at least.

Yeah, Kapture: Fluke is hands down the most interesting thing Blomkamp has done and I hope he does more with mocap animation, because it clearly gels perfectly with his visceral sensibilities.

As I understand it, Oats Studios is really more of an elaborate 'proof of concept' venture. There's no guarantee that any particular short will be connected to the others or expanded upon into feature form, it's more an experiment in gauging where the audience is for stuff like this and what in particular they're attracted to.

Unrelated:

For whatever reason I've decided that it's imperative that I watch all the Barbie movies, so if I may, the two-part Barbie and the Rockers/Barbie and the Sensations are high grade camp trash. In the first one, Barbie is basically the anti-Christ. In the second, this is still the same, except she goes on a whole Back to the Future riff but with no stakes.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I wrote a li'l listicle about the new Mickey Mouse shorts: http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2017/10/05/7-classic-disney-cameos-in-the-new-mickey-mouse-shorts/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
everyone in this thread deserves to know about Cuphead

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835969

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Hot-take: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is better than the first by a pretty wide margin. I like the first, don't get me wrong, but it's got nothing on this bizarro-noir hellscape.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

starkebn posted:

everyone in this thread deserves to know about Cuphead

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835969

Cuphead is one of those games I love to watch get played, but I would hate playing myself. Because drat the animation is gorgeous, but I do not have the skills to enjoy it on my own.

But if you've got better twitch reflexes then me and think you might enjoy things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYCsI81uhQ and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6PO8MA3Yg you should totally check it out.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

K. Waste posted:

Hot-take: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is better than the first by a pretty wide margin. I like the first, don't get me wrong, but it's got nothing on this bizarro-noir hellscape.

I like the quiet, rain-soaked cityscapes of the first movie a lot more. They are both great movies (if flawed at times), but the first one has a quiet that really draws me in. When Motoko is on the helicopter heading to the drop-off site and the movie just slows down for a bit gets me every time.

Hey, that bit is on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yemnjIS7aVs

The sequel does have some bonkers imagery though. The hacker's mansion and that insane parade were a blast to watch in the theater.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

K. Waste posted:

I absolutely love the first GitS and can't even understand what the gently caress is supposed to be going on in the second and think it's pretty garbage.

The aesthetic of the old timey cars is pretty cool though

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Cuphead is one of those games I love to watch get played, but I would hate playing myself. Because drat the animation is gorgeous, but I do not have the skills to enjoy it on my own.

But if you've got better twitch reflexes then me and think you might enjoy things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYCsI81uhQ and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6PO8MA3Yg you should totally check it out.

I don't think I will buy it, but I will watch some playthrough videos for sure

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

starkebn posted:

I absolutely love the first GitS and can't even understand what the gently caress is supposed to be going on in the second and think it's pretty garbage.

As with the first film, the plot itself is actually really straightforward: there's a multinational corporation with ties to organized crime doing shady things. Section 9, our favorite fascist supercops, are deployed to investigate.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It's not not understanding the plot so much, but it's just not put together coherently from what I am trying to recall. It's a long time since I initially watched it and then I tried to watch it again recently and fell asleep during the mind hacking visit this time.

I guess it's just not for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

K. Waste posted:

As with the first film, the plot itself is actually really straightforward: there's a multinational corporation with ties to organized crime doing shady things. Section 9, our favorite fascist supercops, are deployed to investigate.

I remember the first time I watched the first film, I didn't realise I'd just watched the ending until the credits rolled. It felt like a decent-sized battle, but nothing climax-y.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Major vs Spider tank didn't feel like a climax? What the gently caress? Are you talking about the animation or the recent film?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The_Doctor posted:

I remember the first time I watched the first film, I didn't realise I'd just watched the ending until the credits rolled. It felt like a decent-sized battle, but nothing climax-y.

They're very 'light' movies, as it were. It's easy to conclude - as many fans even do - that it's more about the philosophical concepts than the action, but the action is actually far more concretely philosophical than these jaded noir-types quoting at each other. The 'real story' really is just Batou and Major mowing down child sex-workers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd2W3YLFzfc

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

This is wonderful.

starkebn posted:

I'm a huge GitS fan and I can barely follow the second film. Its very pretty but very muddled in what its trying say plot wise. I don't mean the story beats as it really is just child sex slaves get their brain signatures cloned into sex dolls and that's bad, but more just the "why". It has some good moments for the characters as Batou and Togusa are fun to be around. The bit at the end with the Major is a nice touch as well. Past that, the movie is basically "The Major is still friends with Batou but has evolved beyond that (kinda). Identity is important. Here some pretty images."

I want to shill the youtube channel Nerdwriter1 here since he did a cool piece on Ghost in the Shell, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXTnl1FVFBw, as well as another video about how the Live Action GitS is...not well thought out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Apathy kills. Thanks for caring. I hope someday you express this kind of caring towards something even better. :shobon:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Crazy Ferret posted:

I'm a huge GitS fan and I can barely follow the second film. Its very pretty but very muddled in what its trying say plot wise. I don't mean the story beats as it really is just child sex slaves get their brain signatures cloned into sex dolls and that's bad, but more just the "why". It has some good moments for the characters as Batou and Togusa are fun to be around. The bit at the end with the Major is a nice touch as well. Past that, the movie is basically "The Major is still friends with Batou but has evolved beyond that (kinda). Identity is important. Here some pretty images."

See, you've actually misread Major's relationship with Batou. They are not friends, Batou worships Major as a guardian angel. In mythological terms, Major is associated with the master who inscribes "truth" or "death" onto the forehead/into the mind of the golem. Batou is a tragic Frankenstein monster who at once acknowledges that the child-sex robots are innocent victims, but treats them with the same extreme prejudice as he treats the yakuza and, more directly, the old man in the supermarket. He pays lip service to their deaths, but when he teams up with Major to fight them, this is presented as a straightforward and perverse power fantasy.

What the film is 'saying,' in as much as it says anything, is that Section 9 are the bad guys.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

K. Waste posted:

See, you've actually misread Major's relationship with Batou. They are not friends, Batou worships Major as a guardian angel. In mythological terms, Major is associated with the master who inscribes "truth" or "death" onto the forehead/into the mind of the golem. Batou is a tragic Frankenstein monster who at once acknowledges that the child-sex robots are innocent victims, but treats them with the same extreme prejudice as he treats the yakuza and, more directly, the old man in the supermarket. He pays lip service to their deaths, but when he teams up with Major to fight them, this is presented as a straightforward and perverse power fantasy.

What the film is 'saying,' in as much as it says anything, is that Section 9 are the bad guys.

I should of placed the (Kinda) with a bit more care as ya, that relationship feels a bit more one-way in the films. It has been a while since I've watched anything GitS but I feel like they were closer in the series. Or at least, she had a more "Big Sister to Little Brother" vibe instead of the cold colleague vibe from the films but it has been a while. Batou does seem to be chasing a ghost, so to speak, in the films.

Section 9, and pretty much all the government organizations, are definitely not the good guys.

That's a cool read on his character though.

Edit: VVV While this is true, I try to be nice.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 7, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

That's a cool read on his character though.

Forget it Jake Crazy Ferret, it's Chinatown SMG K.Waste

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Crazy Ferret posted:

I should of placed the (Kinda) with a bit more care as ya, that relationship feels a bit more one-way in the films. It has been a while since I've watched anything GitS but I feel like they were closer in the series. Or at least, she had a more "Big Sister to Little Brother" vibe instead of the cold colleague vibe from the films but it has been a while. Batou does seem to be chasing a ghost, so to speak, in the films.

Section 9, and pretty much all the government organizations, are definitely not the good guys.

Right. Batou's relationship with Major is an escalation of Major's relationship with the Puppet Master in the first film. Now, Major is the Puppet Master. The crucial difference is that now it's not explicit in the plot that Major/the Puppet Master are just a botched cyber-terrorist initiative that originates from the oppressive hegemony of the series' setting. With the second film, this is now sublimated into Batou's fantasy, in which Major is a stand-in for 'benign tyranny.'

Much more than the first film, Innocence is a psychological thriller. As Togusa asks up-front, how do we know we're not still in the same fantasy cycle? And so we as the spectator can ask, who or what in this film is defined by 'innocence'?

starkebn posted:

Forget it Jake Crazy Ferret, it's Chinatown SMG K.Waste

I also like the old timey car aesthetic, because now the dystopian setting is a fusion of Hong Kong and Cuba.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In the tv series, not Arise because woof, Batou is definitely in awe of the major but he comes across as kid brother trying to prove his coolness and talents to his older sister. That and a dude severely hosed up by I cant remember which of the three succesor states to the US he comes from. Honestly though my favorite episodes are the ones with either the focus on Togusa because hes the only one who exists outside of work or the sniper who may have been replaced by a body double stalker and nobody gives a poo poo.

The PS1 and PS2 games are unsurprisingly bad (the PSP port is an atrocity) but the PS2 game I vaguely recall having an interesting plot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGvC9z4x82A

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I still can't believe this is finally getting made.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I still can't believe this is finally getting made.

Same but Goffmaniada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Same but Goffmaniada.

Say what now? (one googling later) Oh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoffmaniada That does look interesting.