Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, he is 110% correct that no one cares about this stuff, or the people who actually do care are bound to be terrible bores.

having worked both in companies where no one cared about this (which were hell) and currently in a very well organized company (a video game company where people only rarely work overtime and only if they choose to) I'm extremely grateful that we have a lot of people working full time on production planning and tasks and boring excel spreadsheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

i mean, he is 110% correct that no one cares about this stuff, or the people who actually do care are bound to be terrible bores.

what you get paid to do, and the drudgery required to engineer something which has a reasonably high chance to work reliably, is another matter. but surely no one cares.

:wrong:

imagine tracking your work by hand like a caveman :barf:

(also enjoy getting hosed by nepotism from recruitment/procurement people that don't even own shares)

e: to elaborate on the nepotism bit: a company we acquired had a terrible problem with nepotism on all levels because there was no process that highlighted that fuckface from hr is only promoting his distant cousins. the company tree had rows of people with the same last name. and they aren't even related to the owners/shareholders. needless to say we "deduplicated" them lol.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 30, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the one hand i've never personally encountered a process that works, but that is sort of beside the point, as i am perfectly willing to accept that it can work. rather i'm just noting that doing (and even trying to do) software properly with a lot of process is incredibly boring.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

on the one hand i've never personally encountered a process that works, but that is sort of beside the point, as i am perfectly willing to accept that it can work. rather i'm just noting that doing (and even trying to do) software properly with a lot of process is incredibly boring.

if you're doing software dev your version control and issue tracker *are* your workflow.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you're doing software dev your version control and issue tracker *are* your workflow.

what, no, this is a horrible summary. you can install as many pieces of software as you want without it becoming a workflow, much less a process.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

what, no, this is a horrible summary. you can install as many pieces of software as you want without it becoming a workflow, much less a process.

love this idealism, but even just using software, the version, and whatever tedious, exact ways the version came to run... all this garbage detailbkinda has to be able to be done again by someone somewhere, or else why did i bother?

and goddammit, that means every time a loving thing works, i have to record, some way or another, at least enough info that future me or some other shithead can make it happen a second time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh i think we've been talking past each other entirely too, the jwz screed is pretty much proto-agile (basically making the point that if you say 'groupware' it means you are planning to invent a gigantic list of enterprise needs out of nowhere, where quick revisions of the existing calendar, driven by actual user needs, would have produced a better software product even for corporate use). it notably is not about not *using* groupware things, it is about how ill-defined a thing "groupware" is to *build*.

while i do think all process is by nature pretty boring my experience has been that starting from something agile'ish and adding to it where needs pop up tends to work out. i've worked on projects where the initial requirements engineering was a huge part, with a large dedicated team, (due to legal restrictions and the need to maintain a lot of legacy behaviors of a past system), but predictably tons of things had to change during the project, and the requirements in the end didn't specify some of the most important parts at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this is such a silicon valley brogrammer quote

meanwhile in the real world poo poo needs to be planned, reviewed, approved, reviewed again, implemented, tested, audited, reviewed once more, audited another time, etc...

at no point does he suggest that it doesn't. he's saying building software for managers rather than day to day users makes software that only managers want to use, and probably not even they like it.

idgaf about his goal of making software people want to hack on or whatever, but the line is funny and the point is sound.

building software for a process sounds like a great idea until you use any erp ever. calling your product "groupware" invites that sort of checkbox feature set for the enterprise crowd, and in his experience resulted in terrible trash that no one wanted to actually use.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sony presents: the ipod touch, but worse

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

actually, it is "drat compelling" - gizmodo dot com, 2020

quote:

Carlos Zahumenszky
this is a pseudonym right

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

personally i'll wait and see what neil young has to say about it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i always take audio advice from a guy who has been standing in front of giant stacks of amplifiers onstage for the last fifty years, thats someone who can really hear the subtle differences between different encoding methods

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

actually, it is "drat compelling" - gizmodo dot com, 2020

of course, given that his main complaint is that it's loving bad at just running for any length of time and most of the features don't make any sense

also, a pro is that it prevents you from being distracted by your phone, because you're distracted by the device itself which he admits he was using the same way he used his phone.

gizmodo product reviews are always a masterclass in quality journalism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

i always take audio advice from a guy who has been standing in front of giant stacks of amplifiers onstage for the last fifty years, thats someone who can really hear the subtle differences between different encoding methods

WHAT?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just type code, what’s the problem?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

haha, you're so loving jealous of my ponoplayer, apple scrub.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
eh?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looks similar to the Walkman that Techmoan reviewed a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdy_2kGGhM

Good to see Mat is faster than pro tech sites, and gives a far better review too (as in his review says it's bad).

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

tbh I love that tape skin for the music app

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine if smartphone makers would just put a couple more customizable buttons on the side so you didn't have to buy a special device just to have walkman style controls.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Imagine if smartphone makers would just put a couple more customizable buttons on the side so you didn't have to buy a special device just to have walkman style controls.

to be fair to the bad idea it is also very small.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

oh the guy who just bitched about people using macbooks pro for music production?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Why would anyone want a Walkman in the streaming age? That’s the question I asked myself when I first fiddled with the small Sony NW-A105. One month later, I’ve learned enough about the music player to answer that question and many more. Sometimes its good to cut out the distractions of texts and phone calls and just embrace a tiny device that pumps out high-quality tunes

quote:

It costs $350,

gently caress lmao

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

congratulations on inventing the ipod touch

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sony touchscreen music players have been around for years

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

[Sony comes out with their 200th Android phone]

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

congratulations on inventing the iphone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sony has had some success selling insanely expensive androids to weird rich audiophiles, they're just trying to go downmarket

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 30, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sony's telephones are abject failures because they called them "xperia" instead of "talkman"

e: oh they called their "audiophile" telephones talkman lmao

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

gently caress lmao

I mean, I got a refurb'ed Kindle a week or so ago for this explicit reason, but an mp3 player in 2020 for "three and a half frankies" (as the kids say these days)?

:lmao:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Endless Mike posted:

sony's telephones are abject failures because they called them "xperia" instead of "talkman"

e: oh they called their "audiophile" telephones talkman lmao

audiophiles talk to their hifi equipment because no one else can stand to be around them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's some little fiio players that are under 150 dollars without storage that I'd go for over that sony
https://fiio.com/m6
https://fiio.com/m5

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i just use my telephone, op

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

the article posted:

The right side of the device has a series of physical buttons (power, volume, play/pause, skip forward and skip backward) and a switch to block them all in case you have the Walkman in a tight pant pocket and don’t want to press anything by accident. One note about these buttons: They’re designed to work seamlessly with Sony’s Walkman application (see below.) The skip buttons haven’t worked for me on Spotify or Google Music, but they did work on Tidal.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The best part of it is:

quote:

Sometimes its good to cut out the distractions of texts and phone calls and just embrace a tiny device that pumps out high-quality tunes.
Sony has limited the quality of audio originating from other Android applications to 48 kHz/16-bit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

The best part of it is:
It's so hard to understand why people stopped buying Sony products.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol remember hen sony put out digital music players before the ipod and they were really nice and would have been contenders...except they only played ATRAC-format files (and not mp3s)?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when sony hamstrung the minidisc format by resolutely refusing to support digital file transfer?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

chromeo's music ambitions are pretty straightforward: make electronic dancy music and put themselves with sexy lady legs on album covers

i wish id empty quoted this at the time because its popped into my head multiple times since reading it and i laugh every time

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the thumper devs had to change the game code to make it playable on stadia., which was nice of them but lol at the idea of putting a rhythm game as one of the free demos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

was the change in game code basically making the input targets several seconds long?