Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

12 has Fran, which bumps it up several points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i love red xiii. both in and out of combat. he can cast Haste on the entire dang party

The way he switches back to his Gruff Serious Adult voice to tell the pirate captain's story is peak humour.

Game owns

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The Zodiac whatever edition of 12 is really good, but 10 and 12 are both generally excellent games and both in my personal top 3.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Thundarr posted:

I like 12's world and battle system more than most people seem to. The characters aren't as strong as 10's but they get the job done, and it's actually pretty cool setting up Gambits that let your party handle the small stuff so you can focus on the bigger picture. People will say it's Fantasy Star Wars and they aren't entirely wrong, but Matsuno's brain worms are different from Lucas's.open up.

I was playing it recently and watching the big cutscene right before the final dungeon. My daughter walked in and was like "Hey mom, are you playing a Star Wars game?" and all I could say to that was "Pretty much, yeah."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

FF14 also has Fran though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

And it similarly bumps up FF14 several points!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

deoju posted:

I'm having trouble with Gi Natak in hard mode. Does anybody know if his attacks are fire element? Fire+Elemental would make the fight a cake walk if that's the case.

Beat him, but to answer my own question in case somebody else is interested. None of Gi Natak's attacks are fire element. However his yellow skull minions cast Fira. But they do it so slowly and disappear so quickly that absorbing fire isn't really worth it, imo.

Waffleman_ posted:

But it also has Vaan and Penelo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

:hai:

And you can BE a Fran.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
You can even have a whole party of Frans!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You can even be a dude Fran!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm a big fan of 12 and would definitely also recommend playing it. Definitely more divisive than 10, but it definitely hits just right for me.

Twelve is really good but man does that tower drag.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thets nothing in 12 that doesnt drag

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Made a big mistake last night.

Got about halfway through The Drum, and then about 8:00 PM decided “I’ll just go ahead and finish it”. Did not expect like 7 more bosses before the end. Didn’t even finish until almost 1:00 AM.

Jenova and Sephiroth were cool, but I just about put the game down for good on Arsenal because my Barrett was totally tank/heal specced and Aerith was basically just hiding and chugging Ether to do tiny bits of damage even with max level spells. Then the motorcycle fight just felt way too long.

Good game, but I can already tell Rebirth has a lot of updated mechanics that I will enjoy more. Remake’s ending was also unbelievably obtuse, though I understand the point was “it’s an unknown world now!” Going into the next two games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't remember if Barret was this curmudgeonly about the Gold Saucer in the original but it's a nice character thing lmao

E: I also enabled the UHD on my TV last night and god drat the ghost square looks good

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I want to die

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

I want to die

you will

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

WHY IS BIGGS HERE!!!!!!!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm a big fan of 12 and would definitely also recommend playing it. Definitely more divisive than 10, but it definitely hits just right for me.

10 and 12 are two of my favourites. 10 is the perfect summer time game for me for whatever reason, I don't really know why, probably because Spira's a tropical paradise world by and large.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

I want to die

Looks like you did already

nine-gear crow posted:

10 and 12 are two of my favourites. 10 is the perfect summer time game for me for whatever reason, I don't really know why, probably because Spira's a tropical paradise world by and large.

I need more cool tropical RPGs. We got Chrono Cross, FF10... probably others but I'm too lazy to spend time thinking

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't remember if Barret was this curmudgeonly about the Gold Saucer in the original but it's a nice character thing lmao

E: I also enabled the UHD on my TV last night and god drat the ghost square looks good

He definitely was, and Aerith was a little bit, not lovely, but like "I wanna go on the rides!" to the point that Tifa even asks her if they should really be doing this right now and her response is summed up something along the lines of "Well we're already here so..." which prompts Barret to yell a bit and storm off on his own.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Waffleman_ posted:

WHY IS BIGGS HERE!!!!!!!

Wait until you find out the answer to that.

Also drat this game made me miss Jesse with the Gold Saucer Loveless play.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ometeotl posted:

I want to die

Oof. rough L.

Some Pinko Commie posted:

I hope in one of these multiverses Cloud ends up with Jesse.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I demand you kiss Garm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DON'T SAY THAT.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

deoju posted:

Oof. rough L.

Don't worry, I managed to eke out a victory later. And then I beat the next one on my first try, which I did not expect. That's the Platinum done, now to wait for 2027.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just finished the game. by the third zone I was really burnt out by all the filler-stuff for chadley, and I became increasingly impatient during boss fights with all the interruptive cutscenes that always seem to pop up when you’re finally in the flow of it. some of them even broke off buffs like regen for no good reason :argh:

I did enjoy the story though, and the game did a way better job than the original at portraying both how unsettling Cloud’s gradual insanity is, and just how destructive mako is for the planet.

I genuinely don’t know how part 3 will play out, but I’ll play it, even if they fill it with way too many mini games and all the other exhauative-to-tedious little things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Barret was so angry in the original he stormed off and they made it more of a mystery if he WAS so angry he just fuckin' murdered a bunch of people.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Remake part 3 will be 50% snowboarding minigame by weight and the applause will be deafening.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Cloud Boarders

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

What actually is the answer?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I hope Barrett's melee weapons come back in part three.

Edit: Also I hope Vincent gets Rufus's gun as a 'gently caress you, we stole your gun you dead dickhead' to that guy.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 10, 2024

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Man the person playing the fiddle for the Cosmo Canyon song is having a blast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Finally after 27 years I'm gonna see Loveless

E: gently caress

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I tried equipping 'fire and ice' +elemental and 'lightning and wind' + elemental on Cait Sith's armor in Shinra manor in hard mode. I thought "absorbing everything will make this easy." It doesn't work. You can only use one Elemental materia in any weapon or armor. Annoying imo. The toughest enemy you face that is completely broken by that would be Kujata. And if you are dedicating four materia slots to that fight on Gilgamesh Island or the combat simulator the game should let you.

On the plus side, the Cait Sith section doesn't suck nearly as much the second time when you understand the controls.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 11, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

deoju posted:

I hope Barrett's melee weapons come back in part three.

Edit: Also I hope Vincent gets Rufus's gun as a 'gently caress you, we stole your gun you dead dickhead' to that guy.

Screw that. I want him to get The Elder Shinra's Golden Gun. And I want it to be an unbelievably powerful weapon, and then every dumb person who is all "Barret, you have a bigger gun, why are you afraid" when that's... not how guns work.... will have to shut up. It might be the wrong reason, but I'll take it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Waffleman_ posted:

Finally after 27 years I'm gonna see Loveless

E: gently caress

That’s the one thing about the QTE segments. They are doing great visuals and music and you can’t pay attention with the prompts. Same thing with the Junon parade.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No the show was over I didn't get to see Loveless I was sad

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Waffleman_ posted:

Should've asked Yuffie to wake you up earlier, Cid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't lose hope just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well now there was a mass shooting and Walt Disney had to assign us as the resident Columbo