Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

just write the program. use the clowniest data structures you want as long as it's not malicious. write the best code you can, but don't worry if it's not "perfect"

if memory or processor usage sql query performance or something proves to be a problem in actual usage, then fix it.

right. 99.999% of your performance bottleneck is going to be the spindles on the database anways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

no, those are good.

gently caress type erasure

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

right. 99.999% of your performance bottleneck is going to be the spindles on the database anways

Which is why you spend a lot of time squeezing the width of your data to fit as much of it into the disk cache as possible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Hard NOP Life posted:

gently caress type erasure

i think theres only one time ever where this didnt let me do a code one way so i did it another. not a big deal but it would be nice for them to get rid of it in newer versions.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
if it looks like a gently caress, and it quacks like a gently caress, then it is a gently caress

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zombywuf posted:

Which is why you spend a lot of time squeezing the width of your data to fit as much of it into the disk cache as possible.

yeah. stored proc tuning and data design are super important.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

yeah. stored proc tuning and data design are super important.

The same is true of your L1 cache.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol no.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like maybe if i was an autist getting paid a ton to work on one of those hft systems then sure, but for everyone else its a waste of time.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

brb, have to swap in my mail app

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

i think theres only one time ever where this didnt let me do a code one way so i did it another. not a big deal but it would be nice for them to get rid of it in newer versions.

fuckin primitove type parameters, i want them so bad. and value types. and stackalloc. and unsafe. sun jvm has unsafe but only for bootstrap loaded classes. gently caress you, i want to peek/poke too. c# beats the poo poo out of java if you know how computers work and need to get your hands dirty

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no reason for you to be doing that stuff, sorry. it might make you think you know some stuff but really its just making your code less maintainable for the next person.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look into my posts and ill troll u
i got the moves like shaggar

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

query times. the lower i get them the larger dataset i can provide realtime results for. if it provides a statistically significant latency reduction i'll do it and the next guy can eat a dick

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how r ur query times slow? you're not using an orm are you...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

holy poo poo the comments

I'm actually working on a toolchain for Clojure -> JVM Bytecode -> Decompile Bytecode into Java -> Doppio JavaScript -> CoffeeScript -> Back to JS -> Rhino Compiler to Bytecode -> GCJ for native machine code. This will be very useful for writing native programs in Clojure.

:3br0z:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

how r ur query times slow? you're not using an orm are you...

my boss wants solr to do olap with record sets in the tens of millions. solr clusters are shared-nothing so merges are a bitch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your database doesnt do it natively?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

row stores don't, not quickly and flexibly enough. basically my task is make a vertica cluster but without paying for vertica

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Zombywuf posted:

I really pity the guys who have to run the software written by you "memory usage doesn't matter" guys.

automatic memory management is not the same as not caring about memory usage

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

"eh, who cares about memory we have so much"

followed by:

"ugh, I'm no longer using firefox it leaks memory"

you are what you hate.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

MononcQc posted:

followed by:

you are what you hate.

maybe it's different people saying these things? just asking questions

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i don't use firefox because it's a slow piece of poo poo, not because it uses memory. there's lots of valid reasons not to use firefox

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also you guys watch this:

We Really Don't Know How to Compute by Sussman (the guy behind SICP, who also invented Scheme)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Resource X is not important until X becomes important.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
the biggest thing we have done to optimize the performance of our ui:

instead of sending an http request for pretty much every singular piece of data, we have one big mass query that returns most of the data we need in one request.

one request usually takes less than 1 second, even when you query for multiple things at once, but make hundreds of less than 1 second queries and the user kinda notices

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wheany posted:

the biggest thing we have done to optimize the performance of our ui:

instead of sending an http request for pretty much every singular piece of data, we have one big mass query that returns most of the data we need in one request.

one request usually takes less than 1 second, even when you query for multiple things at once, but make hundreds of less than 1 second queries and the user kinda notices

heh im refactoring some poo poo to bundle LWP requests instead of sharting out a new connection+session for each one. ^5 efficiency buddy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jonny 290 posted:

heh im refactoring some poo poo to bundle LWP requests instead of sharting out a new connection+session for each one. ^5 efficiency buddy

Use a real http Client library :smug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you know i can't push any libs that sam walton himself didn't personally vet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

followed by:

you are what you hate.

memory leaks arent the same as high memory usage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

you know i can't push any libs that sam walton himself didn't personally vet

use java and commons httpclient ftw

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also firefox is bad for alot of reasons not just its memory leaks

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

automatic memory management is not the same as not caring about memory usage

It is if Java is managing the memory.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i don't use firefox because it's a slow piece of poo poo, not because it uses memory. there's lots of valid reasons not to use firefox

See if you can guess why it's slow (hint: memory usage)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
hmmm, that hint sounds like a red herring

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

MononcQc posted:

We Really Don't Know How to Compute by Sussman (the guy behind SICP, who also invented Scheme)

i ate breakfast and lunch with mr. & mrs. sussman right after this, super nice people

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Wheany posted:

hmmm, that hint sounds like a red herring

page faults make code so much faster

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MononcQc posted:

ugh

i love this and hate this

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

ugh

i love this and hate this

the effects of lisps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Zombywuf posted:

See if you can guess why it's slow (hint: memory usage)

you're a retard