Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

LordMune posted:

On a happier note, here's a lil' something for all of you (approximately zero people) who were holding out for a "less ugly and not translated from a Korean translation"-scanlation of the ol' serkyber.

http://www.evil-genius.us/2016/07/berserk-344/

HATVILLE! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LordMune posted:

On a happier note, here's a lil' something for all of you (approximately zero people) who were holding out for a "less ugly and not translated from a Korean translation"-scanlation of the ol' serkyber.

http://www.evil-genius.us/2016/07/berserk-344/

It's hard to believe the plot is actually moving again, after all this time.

Seems weird that everyone remembers Puck, but I guess you can chalk that up to time dilation? It could've only been a couple months there since he left.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I mean if people sincerely enjoy it good for them, that's totally cool, but this is a deal where I wonder if we watched the same thing. I know a few people who weren't really negative about it but their response was more like "well, that wasn't so bad, I'm happy," not "THIS WAS AMAZING!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sasuga Kotaku

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sure wish I could make money writing about anime on a video game website.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Sure wish I could make money writing about anime on a video game website.

It doesn't take much at all to one-up Kotaku (speaking as somebody who regularly reads it for reasons utterly unknown to me, though I'm not as sour on it as some) so I dunno man.

You're loving around I know but you could probably get something going somewhere, yeah

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Writing for sites like those is who you know, not what. Just go to San Fran and philander around the hipster hangouts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just go to san fran and write the sentence 'gender is a social construct' onto a napkin, rip it into pieces, and toss it into the summer breeze. in 3 days a traveling white dude with a beret and a ginger neckbeard will arrive at your door. he is your friend, and will lead you into the world of games journalism.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I just watched the first ep and I am upset.

How dare they insinuate to skip lost children.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome, new Berserk anime! This is the best Canada Day!

*watches first episode*

This is the worst Canada Day! What the gently caress was that?

No, seriously, I had to pause and rewind around the part where the bandits got eaten by a bunch of trees because I had no idea what was happening or why, I guess the trees were cursed? Like, not just that one tree but the whole forest? And Guts beat it... somehow? They didn't show how, they implied that he beat it and moved on. loving hell, that was messy editing.

Overall not a good first impression. I'm still gonna watch the entire thing but drat, if the whole series is at this level of quality then I'm in for a long, painful watch...

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Zaphod42 posted:

We don't know how fast he can swing it so we can only ballpark it at best.

But considering 400lbs of dragonslayer, if he swings it at say, 300ft/s which is probably conservative for "faster than the eye can see", that's roughly 90m/s

400lbs is roughly 181 kilograms, so 90m/s * 181kg = 16,290 KG M/S or newton-seconds momentum.

Doing some quick googling to compare, if we look at canons, a big fuckoff cannon might shoot a 32lbs canonball at 1200-1700ft/s, that's ~15kg at 518m/s, or 7,770 KG M/S

So that would mean that Guts' swings the dragonslayer at roughtly 210% the force of a 32-pounder huge canon.

Canons apparently go up to like 68-pounders, so assuming those have a greater load of powder and maintain roughly equal velocity, that would mean that Guts' sword hits with the same force as the largest cannons used during the age of sail. Huge fuckoff ship canons, bigger ones than most ships have. Guts is pretty much a siege weapon.

This is all rough napkin math since we don't know how fast he actually swings it (or how heavy it really is).

Whether any substance known to man could stand up to being swung at that much force is an exercise I leave up to the reader :cheeky: Have extra credit papers on my desk by Monday.

From a few pages ago but, I vaguely recall Gut's swing with the sword being compared favorably to cannons when he fought Grunbeld so this might actually be fairly accurate? I don't remember the chapter number though so I can't check.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is very sad that a berserk anime warrants a 3 episode test

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
we had a big discussion over repeating crossbows in the milhist thread, the conclusion is they have no power

i dont think this series is very realistic you guys

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Begemot posted:

Seems weird that everyone remembers Puck, but I guess you can chalk that up to time dilation? It could've only been a couple months there since he left.

And even then he's only been hanging out with Guts for a couple of years, tops. He might have peed on that gull just weeks before his first appearance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Puck is probably the Elven Prince.

It's not like you'd forget that adorable little poo poo even if you tried anyway.

Also, thanks for the HQ update LordMune and everyone you work with.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 2, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't even watch it because I'm too lazy, but I'm gonna eventually do it because loving Berserk. At least the Muso game will likely be good, right?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crabtree posted:

I can't even watch it because I'm too lazy, but I'm gonna eventually do it because loving Berserk. At least the Muso game will likely be good, right?

It definitely has better graphics than the anime. The only problem is that it's doing the golden age AGAIN so we'll probably have to wait for the sequel before it gets really good.

But it does have Schierke, so might be getting all the way to her arc, which is reasonably far in. The Kushan invasion would make for a good sequel hook.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They've confirmed that it starts at the Golden Age and gets to the end of Millennium Falcon.

It's a Musou though so if you don't like them, it won't do anything for you.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Thankfully I am a moron and happily buy new musou games at full price, so I will 100% be on board for this one. Worst they could do is make something similar to those hokuto no ken games, which were pretty meh but fun to explode people at the least.
Nothing to add to anime chat, it was all over the place and needs a whole lot of help.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Now that I finally got around to watching the first episode in total I feel very conflicted. Watching it was like a second-by-second roller-coaster ride between something that looked great and totally satisfied my Berserk anime nostalgia and complete and total garbage. I feel like if this had come out when I was a young teenager who had just discovered the '97 anime I would have totally loved this, but as someone who's been appreciating the manga for several years it falls very far short of the source material.

The first episode was definitely just a desperate attempt to establish Berserk as something beyond Black Swordsman and Lost Children as quickly as possible, so it lacked virtually anything that would give some sense of the pacing and quality of the Tower of Conviction adaptation going forward. I'll probably need to wait until next episode to form a coherent opinion on how I feel about the adaptation. It was visually unambitious, but it didn't fall short of my already low expectations.

I did kind of love the opening though. I guess it was just seeing this really energetic, condensed version of the Golden Age, and the animation style gave off a vibe closer to the '97 anime. For whatever it's worth, I already like this new adaptation exponentially more than those absolutely wretched Golden Age movies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this episode was designed to jump past all the black swordsman stuff so the show could get started on tower of conviction. while i would prefer to see the entire manga animated, i can't really blame them for going this route. however, even if you ignore how this episode was replacing some real good stuff it was pretty bad on its own merits. we'll see how good or bad the show is once it actually starts adapting the manga.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I see no true issue with skipping Black Swordsman and Lost Children provided you do that correctly and this episode simply didn't do that by any means. Obviously, in the ideal world we skip nothing and everything is Miura levels of quality but animated smoothly.

I'm not sure I can think of a more confusing way to actually sum up Lost Children and Black Swordsman to get all the players in place than this episode. I think once they're getting feedback from Japanese viewers it'll probably pick up in quality somewhat, at least with pacing and writing and perhaps sound.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
1 episode

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm gonna nitpick this because it makes me laugh.
The first line after the spoiler jump:
"The dark medieval manga boasts 343 chapters of fantasy gore, which creator Kentaro Miura has been industriously producing since 1989."

1. Wrong chapter count, superb researching skills.
2. "Industrious"
working energetically and devotedly; hard-working; diligent:
an industrious person.

Kentaro Miura: Industrious.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Considering the ASLC (Average Squiggly Line Count) of Berserk, I'd say he's fairly industrious. Just not in ways that are conducive to a keeping a timely schedule...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sky continues to be blue, water remains wet, and Berserk gets a lovely anime adaption.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, the first anime didn't have very good animation but at least it told the story coherently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually don't mind the first anime and even have a decent amount of nostalgia for it, especially the music. It was more than acceptable if you considered it an advertisement to go out and read the manga afterwards. But it was also 18 years ago and there's been a whole more garbage anime-wise since then.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

If you're like me and believe a) that Berserk has always been destined for a Musou game and b) that chopping up millions of guys is fun, there's virtually no way it could be bad.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If the berserk game has as much love poured into it to make it feel as close to the manga as possible I'll be happy. Hyrule Warriors and dragon quest heroes were both excellent and really felt like their namesakes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Any chance the terrible CG could just be a bit of pilot/ep.1 weirdness and become tolerable as the series progresses?

Also what's the work schedule on a series like this? Is it done already, or could the studio still be receptive to fan feedback to get the project back on course?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's more likely to get worse since the first episode generally gets more attention paid to it before the true grind begins

With most series the next episode won't actually be 100% finished until a couple days (or in some case a few hours) before it's actually due to air, though everything will be way past the point where changing much is realistic by now.

PS Watch Shirabako

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 2, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to stay positive but I honestly can't imagine how the CG could get worse than it was.

...maybe that's a good thing?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phobophilia posted:

we had a big discussion over repeating crossbows in the milhist thread, the conclusion is they have no power

i dont think this series is very realistic you guys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow "the Zhuge Liang crossbow" aka Chu-ko-nu is totally real and a major historic weapon in China, and shoots like a normal crossbow. He could feasibly shoot it with his stump/iron hand, he shoots it pretty drat fast in some scenes but it isn't all that unrealistic, that page says soldiers could shoot 10 bolts in 15 seconds.

If the problem is power, you can just make it from a stronger draw design. Guts immense strength makes that feasible. He also mostly uses it at VERY close range.

Deified Data posted:

I'm trying to stay positive but I honestly can't imagine how the CG could get worse than it was.

...maybe that's a good thing?

I thought the animation in the golden age movies was pretty bad but still enjoyed them immensely. Its loving Berserk, and we're finally getting something that covers the later arcs. I'll take it :shrug:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 2, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought the animation in the golden age movies was pretty bad but still enjoyed them immensely. Its loving Berserk, and we're finally getting something that covers the later arcs. I'll take it :shrug:
I love the movies too, but they were a lot more judicious in their use of CG - they used it for big battles with lots of moving parts. This episode used it for moving and stationary scenes alike and makes up the vast majority of the animation.

Maybe they'll turn it around in later episodes. As I said I'm trying not to be negative but I can't think of any defense for the CG stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There is none, the in game graphics for a freakin Musou game look better

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Here's a defense - it lets the studio save time and money for beautifully-animated showcase scenes.

There just wasn't any of those...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the new anime is different from the manga so i hate it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The compacting of the Black Swordsmen stuff so the anime can fast-track to Conviction is actually not a problem for me at all. Edgelords like those chapters because Guts is horrible and one-dimensional but I'm fine with it skipping straight to character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
They wanted to skip through content to feature all the post golden age characters from the start to sell more merch.