Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
In fairness to Savage, I've only heard about his scripting in big-time matches with competent workers (and Warrior). I doubt he needed to plan every move out on the house show circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

dsriggs posted:

In fairness to Savage, I've only heard about his scripting in big-time matches with competent workers (and Warrior). I doubt he needed to plan every move out on the house show circuit.

He would script those matches too but they ran the same match night after night for a couple months so not as big of a thing. One of the reasons he always had such great matches with DDP was they were both crazy meticulous planning guys.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

What I got out of the interview with Flair on the Austin podcast was that the ability to call matches on the fly allows you to tailor the match to the crowd. Flair said he couldn't explain how, but he would feel the crowd and adjust accordingly.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

skyliner posted:

What I got out of the interview with Flair on the Austin podcast was that the ability to call matches on the fly allows you to tailor the match to the crowd. Flair said he couldn't explain how, but he would feel the crowd and adjust accordingly.

I went to a Hogan interview show on Friday, and he talked about this topic as well. Basically he said Canadians in his experience have been really good at reading crowds, and that the heels could take a dead crowd and get them hot just by cutting off the face again and again with grinding headlocks and poo poo. Just doing that until the crowd is begging for the face to make a comeback, and take it from there.

Granted, you need to have really lose time limits to do something like that, Hogan said that the TV era makes it so that's impossible.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

You guys are all making excellent points and while I agree with them, I guess my issue was that Flair made it sound like the Steamboat/Macho match was some embarassing match that lost the crowd.

In re: to many modern WWE wrestlers not being able to react to things on the fly, see Randy Orton. He normally can work, but when something bad happens he basically just quits and pouts. It comes off terrible.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every time I hear about Dave's interactions with Dana it makes me happy for some reason

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Boycott the punchcast.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Boycott the punchcast.
Start your own podcast and talk about how amazing Dr. Death was.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

MassRafTer posted:

Boycott the punchcast.

If we had waited for you, the podcast wouldn't have been ready until, like, 3:00 in the morning.

...wait.

Topics: 1. People need to stop giving Randy Orton cars
2. Another week, another awesome Punk/Heyman segment
3. AJ Styles' contract situation
4. WRESTLER(s) OF THE WEEK: Ted DiBiase
5. What was the last WWE PPV that was better than SummerSlam 2013?
6. Do celebrity appearances make a difference in viewership? How would you book one?
7. Who were the best guest hosts of Raw?
8. What is the greatest angle ever?
9. Who's more annoying: Ashley from Hardcore Pawn, or Stephanie McMahon?
10. HulkaMatt watches Total Divas so you don't have to (Or: AJ Lee be dropping BOMBS)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I said some bad words about Ashley.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MRT I think you should just look at the list of topics and record your own commentary track to be played over the Punchcast.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just listened to the podcast, good work as always. That segment with Total Divas makes watching it around like an utter misery.

You guys should start putting out special editions every now and then to properly discuss those topics you keep saying "we could make a whole show on this" about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know people say the early Austin podcasts are rough, but I have to say I really enjoyed his talk with Shawn Michaels and listening to him rant about male hygiene for 40 minutes was loving amazing.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Masked Man was on yesterday's B.S. Report w/ Bill Simmons to discuss the Grantland HHH interview, Bill's dislike of Bret Hart and love of Mr. Perfect, and the general state of WWE. They both basically agree that it looks like WWE finally has all the major players and direction it needs to go on a great run.

It's also interesting to listen to Bill talk about how his son (who is really young) was huge into Cena and therefore hated Bryan....but Bryan immediately got him on his side and now he's a big DB fan. I would totally agree that that will be DB's key to becoming a total megastar; getting the kids behind you. I would totally agree with them on how Bryan really has it all - older fans love his underdog story that is based in truth and also appreciate his stellar work in the ring, whereas kids enjoy the simple YES YES YES catchphrase, his wild look, and how his smaller size makes him an underdog and therefore very relateable for a kid.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jerusalem posted:

I know people say the early Austin podcasts are rough, but I have to say I really enjoyed his talk with Shawn Michaels and listening to him rant about male hygiene for 40 minutes was loving amazing.

I got tired of them after a few months, but yeah Steve Austin saying "IF I GOTTA TRIM UP MY BUSH I'LL DO IT MY GODDAMN SELF" is an amazing thing to witness.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Today's Bryan and Vinny had a fantastic bit when they were talking about Joe Rogan's show.

V: "Mike Gravel says there are aliens, and that they can bypass all our defences"
B: "Military defences?"
V: "...as opposed to what?"
B: "Like, I can't block a choke?"

Followed by dead silence punctuated only by me losing my poo poo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I had totally banished LOD's ventriloquist dummy from memory until I listened to Dave and Bryan's show from yesterday.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Today's Bryan and Vinny had a fantastic bit when they were talking about Joe Rogan's show.

V: "Mike Gravel says there are aliens, and that they can bypass all our defences"
B: "Military defences?"
V: "...as opposed to what?"
B: "Like, I can't block a choke?"

Followed by dead silence punctuated only by me losing my poo poo

This is 100% pure filtered bubble right here.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

njsykora posted:

This is 100% pure filtered bubble right here.

I'm pretty sure he was kidding, although it is Bryan so you never know

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm pretty sure he was kidding, although it is Bryan so you never know

That was a joke. The infuriating rant about Daniel Bryan getting a title shot and the idiocy about being able to tell the Bellas apart... Not so much.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Gaz-L posted:

That was a joke. The infuriating rant about Daniel Bryan getting a title shot and the idiocy about being able to tell the Bellas apart... Not so much.

Boy I'm just firing on all cylinders today

And yeah, I wanted to scream at Bryan during his rematch rant, especially when he said HHH turning on Daniel Bryan would be like Steve Mazagatti low blowing a UFC fighter

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New Attitude Era Podcast episode: Survivor Series 1998

:dance:DEADLY GAAAME:dance:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 28, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

It's a DEADLY GAME! I hope they use that theme for an intro

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

triplexpac posted:

It's a DEADLY GAME! I hope they use that theme for an intro

They compare that theme to Tony Soprano taking peyote in the desert.

(e): Properly in tears laughing at this episode. "Make my dinner, my father hit me with a chair and I don't know how use the stove" in particularly loving RUINED me.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 28, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This show is awful and full of short matches, but it was the first month I had ever watched. Poor Mankind never saw it coming. :kiddo:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Billy, the guy on the podcast who didn't watch the AE is properly heartbroken by Rock's heel turn, because he's only seen modern Rock and doesn't like him, but then watched AE Rock and became an absolute fanboy. To be fair, it's an absolutely amazing double turn with him and Mankind.

Especially when Mankind is begging for mercy and calls Vince "dad" :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave went to town on Triple H in the newsletter. :iceburn:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Hey yo Ten Count; of the current crop in WWE, who do you think would make good road agents?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Punchcasters: We all know that the best managers of all time are guys like Paul Heyman and Bobby Heenan but who are the worst managers of all time?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If Slick isn't the top of that list, gently caress you all. Slick was TERRIBLE.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

LordPants posted:

Dave went to town on Triple H in the newsletter. :iceburn:

Details man.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

He broke down the interview and had comments for a lot of things he said.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Rarity posted:

Punchcasters: We all know that the best managers of all time are guys like Paul Heyman and Bobby Heenan but who are the worst managers of all time?

A.W is the best answer I can think of.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HulkaMatt posted:

He broke down the interview and had comments for a lot of things he said.

Best part was talking about HHH still hating Foley for making him, and saying that he was doing death matches in japan in front of 25 people.

Which is true, if by "25 people" you mean "kawasaki baseball stadium".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

If loving Jameson doesn't get mentioned I'm gonna kill a man

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

Best part was talking about HHH still hating Foley for making him, and saying that he was doing death matches in japan in front of 25 people.

Which is true, if by "25 people" you mean "kawasaki baseball stadium".

Which makes it a little cringeworthy listening to the Bill Simmon's podcast, where he and Shoemaker are gushing about how honest and real Hunter was. Basically, he pulled EXACTLY what he claims DDP did.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rarity posted:

Oklahoma,

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

If loving Jameson doesn't get mentioned I'm gonna kill a man

poo poo, I forgot about Jamison.

I think OSWReview summed up Jamison the best.

quote:

As soon as he opened his mouth, I wanted the lighting rig to fall on this dick.

I have written down, for Jamison: "I want this bloke to die. Dot Dot Dot. Slowly. Dot Dot Dot. oval office."

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 29, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks for pointing that HHH thing out, I don't read every Observer but wow, Meltzer tearing Hunter apart was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

This week's Observer is fantastic. I love how Dave took HHH to the watershed for all his bullshit.

I particularly agree with the Foley sentiment. I thought the interview was very negative on Mick's work and came off as VERY ungrateful. It resonates with me because when I got back into wrestling in late 99 I thought it was hilarious that HHH, a crappy midcarder (from when I watched previously), somehow was promotion champion. I then watched Royal Rumble 2000 with the street fight against Cactus, followed by No Mercy and the Hell in a Cell match, and immediately thought I was completely wrong about HHH and that he was a viable champion. Those matches with Cactus were loving awesome and it definitely solidified Hunter as a true main eventer. Mick drat near killed himself in those matches bumping for HHH so its pretty lovely to see him discredited. It's one thing when Flair holds that opinion because Foley never did anything for him, it's a total different thing when HHH says the same thing despite "being made" by him.

Also, I've been a Bill Simmons fan for about 12 years now, but that podcast made him look like a puss. Whenever he has discussed wrestling over the last few years, he always makes a point to say he doesn't care for HHH or that it turns him off how HHH inserts himself into angles. In the podcast he said "I just forgot to ask him" about that and other things, which is total bullshit. He is too smart a guy to "just forget" about every single thing HHH has done to turn him off to the product over the years.

All of these things are just proof that HHH is fantastic heel. He is very easy to dislike.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 29, 2013

• Locked thread