Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't have to have the DLC, just the host. But the big problem with kaiserreich right now is most of the countries don't have events or trees still, and the default tree sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

You don't have to have the DLC, just the host. But the big problem with kaiserreich right now is most of the countries don't have events or trees still, and the default tree sucks rear end

I know. Whenever I've tried playing with you guys without hosting though the game slows down to 1 speed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

hell ya. ottoman it up

I started as Tyron and picked a fight with Ulster under the idea that I would initiate a united Ireland. England owned me thoroughly

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

hell ya. ottoman it up

Are the Ottomons the best nation to start off as for new players?

For HOI4 I've successfully had 2 games as Romania, both fascist and communist, so now I'm going to try and take the USSR and turn them into the Russian Empire and own as much of Asia as possible.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

teutonic order formed prussia...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i loaded the backup save and clutch saved them from protestant rebels. is this cheating or alternate history

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

frank.club posted:

I started as Tyron and picked a fight with Ulster under the idea that I would initiate a united Ireland. England owned me thoroughly

sounds about right. ireland is one of the harder starts in euiv

Unfunny Poster posted:

Are the Ottomons the best nation to start off as for new players?

i'd personally say so, though i'm an ottoman fan in general. people also recommend portugal if you want a 'peaceful' game, but euiv is a game about war, and when it comes to war, the ottomans are the hardest country to gently caress up.

in general i'd recommend starting as a larger country; unlike in ck2, there's no shortage of challenges to overcome even as an initially-large country, especially if you're new to the game. if you start as a little one-province minor, odds are pretty good you'll end up sitting on your rear end for 15 years and then getting annexed... not a fun way to learn the ropes!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

oddium posted:

i loaded the backup save and clutch saved them from protestant rebels. is this cheating or alternate history

it's cheating, but losing cores because a country got formed is dumb, so i'll allow it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

i'd personally say so, though i'm an ottoman fan in general. people also recommend portugal if you want a 'peaceful' game, but euiv is a game about war, and when it comes to war, the ottomans are the hardest country to gently caress up.

in general i'd recommend starting as a larger country; unlike in ck2, there's no shortage of challenges to overcome even as an initially-large country, especially if you're new to the game. if you start as a little one-province minor, odds are pretty good you'll end up sitting on your rear end for 15 years and then getting annexed... not a fun way to learn the ropes!

If youre Pablo you manage it in 15 days lol.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

leinster is fun but like scotland you spend so much time taking great britain and then where do you go from there @_@

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In our kaiserreich game that we finished austria capitulated in a week and spain capitulated in 3 days. But the shortest a country lasted was when the ottomans joined our last war against the co-prosperity sphere 1 day before it ended and lost everything.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

leinster is fun but like scotland you spend so much time taking great britain and then where do you go from there @_@

Also unlike Scotland, you can't form GB so you just straight up have jack poo poo for unique events after a while. The tier 1 and 2 nations in EU4 are extremely powerful because of their events and modifiers. Like how Venice gets the one that gives them 0.5 RT and stays with the country after tag switching. It's ridiculously OP. Or the one that gives the Netherlands a PU CB on GB

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

Cool I'll definitely give it another whack as well.

Evil Eagle posted:

Anyone want to get an IZ kaiserreich game going some time?

I'd be up for it but I am completely unfamiliar with Kaiserreich overall so it may just be a shitshow on my end.

Note: that's usually how it is anyway.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 10, 2017

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kaiserreich is just an alternate start mod where the democratic nations lost WW1 so there's way more communists but instead of straight up fascists, there's a lot of authoritarian monarchies instead

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BBJoey posted:

part one of the WC has gone well

part two complete. next steps are to get a union with castile/aragon/naples cut off russia's access to siberia

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

Kaiserreich is just an alternate start mod where the democratic nations lost WW1 so there's way more communists but instead of straight up fascists, there's a lot of authoritarian monarchies instead

OK. Thank you Larry Parrish for this info.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Does HoI IV Kaiserreich still have basically the same nation setup as the DH version? I really liked the way India was set up, with the northwest being British Raj remnants waiting for the counterrevolution, the Bengal-based communists in the east, and the loose coalition of anyone that doesn't like either of the other two in the south.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Does HoI IV Kaiserreich still have basically the same nation setup as the DH version? I really liked the way India was set up, with the northwest being British Raj remnants waiting for the counterrevolution, the Bengal-based communists in the east, and the loose coalition of anyone that doesn't like either of the other two in the south.

Yeah. Yet ironically somehow in every playthru I did the Princely States joined the Bhartiya commune in the fucing Internationale

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Tension and faction system is loving gay!!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Plutonis posted:

The Tension and faction system is loving gay!!!

On our last session of HoI4 kaiserreich all of the events of countries not in our faction fired again leading to a second Iraqi and Syrian revolt. The mod needs work for sure lol.

My least favorite thing has to be peace treaties. If you don't make sure to give all of the pieces of a country to your puppets the AI that has 12 points will swoop in and take all of the provinces you missed. Japan looked so bad at the end of our kaiserreich game. I need an option to kick countries that do that poo poo out of my faction.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-10th-of-january-2017.993709/

lol holy poo poo @ spain's boost

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
We should continue the Memewealth game this weekend.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Agreed.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my brother got HOI3 on sale and wants to play it before spending money on HOI4. I've never played it but he asked if there is a lot of difference between how you play that and HOI4 which I guess I'll ask here. Also is the multiplayer better or worst than HOI4 in terms of mechanics & stability?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If there's room to hop into any of the free commonwealth countries I'd be down.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 14, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Unfunny Poster posted:

OK. Thank you Larry Parrish for this info.

in Darkest Hour, where KR is from, it has a ton of cool alt history events and fun worldbuilding that's been built up over a decade of modding. HOI4 kaiserreich is... some new countries i guess? It's neat sure but it's not the real thing imho

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Unfunny Poster posted:

So my brother got HOI3 on sale and wants to play it before spending money on HOI4. I've never played it but he asked if there is a lot of difference between how you play that and HOI4 which I guess I'll ask here. Also is the multiplayer better or worst than HOI4 in terms of mechanics & stability?

HOI3 is awful. It's got a ton of micromanaging and endless spergy OOB for you to mess with, and also the AI is fundamentally broken and can never defeat you even with massive handicaps. It also crashes a lot and has desyncing issues so it's bad for MP even if you like it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I won't be around this weekend but someone can take Canada for me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HoI 3 is like a Thai/Mexican fusion dish. It's got s lot of stuff you love, but it's buried under horseshit

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK thanks for the info on HOI3.

In HOI4 I played Russia, turned them fascist with the goal of not trying to be involved. I ended up being attacked by the Axis and had to fight. I ended up taking a fair amount of Asia and some of south/eastern Europe.

I didn't take Mongolia because I just didn't see the value in it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unfunny Poster posted:

OK thanks for the info on HOI3.

In HOI4 I played Russia, turned them fascist with the goal of not trying to be involved. I ended up being attacked by the Axis and had to fight. I ended up taking a fair amount of Asia and some of south/eastern Europe.

I didn't take Mongolia because I just didn't see the value in it.

You don't see the value in pretty borders? :how:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

You don't see the value in pretty borders? :how:

I thought it would be funny to have a Lesotho type of situation inside my country.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

hoi3 is aids

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh my god.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

:barf:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jesus Christ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spoiler tag those borders please.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Spoiler tag those borders please.

Greece and Russia ruined everything in this war. going to fix it during the treaty.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Greece and Russia ruined everything in this war. going to fix it during the treaty.

thats what we all thought at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Does any one do the epic games of loading the ck2 save into eu4 to keep going etc? I want to enjoy eu4 but I get sweaty not having played ck2 to the start date