Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Lurdiak posted:

What's a good movie to watch to deal with something you waited for for 28 years kinda sucking? And no, I don't mean losing my virginity, you low-hanging fruit grabbers.

Star Wars Episode I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Was it your inheritance?

No, my grandpa didn't leave me any because one of my cousins made him invest his life insurance and savings in really bad stock. :toot: That doesn't really bother me though, what bothers me is how much of a mess that left behind for my grandmother, since she didn't know.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Do you want something to generally cheer you up?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I always watch one of the lighter Mike Leigh movies when I feel down, like "Life Is Sweet", which is a real "faith in humanity" movie.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

What's a good movie to watch to deal with something you waited for for 28 years kinda sucking? And no, I don't mean losing my virginity, you low-hanging fruit grabbers.

Congrats on not losing your virginity.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
"low-hanging fruit grabbers" are what I call my underpants

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Discount Viscount posted:

"low-hanging fruit grabbers" are what I call my underpants

"Low-hanging-fruit grabbers" is what I call homosexuals.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Death By The Blues posted:

Do you want something to generally cheer you up?

I dunno, I keep hoping movies can counter or enhance moods like music.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I always watch one of the lighter Mike Leigh movies when I feel down, like "Life Is Sweet", which is a real "faith in humanity" movie.

Would Mr. Turner fit the bill? That's all Netflix has by Leigh.

Discount Viscount posted:

Congrats on not losing your virginity.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I really liked The Handmaiden and it would make you feel good.

The Love Witch is legit great, watch it.

enhance and elevate mood Bergman and Tarkovsky do that for me.

But dont listen to a hot dog obsessed fool like me.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

therattle posted:

I call them people, but each to their own :smug: :wonkemoji:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

they have an ongoing poll for the worst kind of pasta

the option in 4th place is "Goku"

What's in first place?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Big dumb animated spectacles like Transformers (1984) and Redline do the trick for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is The Informant any good? I've had a semi-ironic desire to watch it after learning delusional conspiracy theorist and probable pedophile Kurt Goddamn Eichenwald wrote the book.

Yeah The Informant is outstanding. Has one of the funniest cuts in any movie ever.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
If someone wants to watch a Bergman and something light hearted and fun at the same time I recommend Smiles of a Summer Night. Legit one of the funniest movies I've seen.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
No Kevin Hart movie has such an erotic scene like Persona's, and Gabrielle Union was featured on a couple of his movies. Game, set, Berman.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I know this is like saying "boy that Mona Lisa sure is a good painting" but The Lost Weekend is a really good movie.

edit: I think it's the score that really makes it. Apparently they originally did a test showing without the score and people thought it was a little goofy, but you add in a classic horror-esque score with that fuckin' theremin and all of a sudden a dude searching for a bottle of Rye in his apartment is loving terrifying.

Ray Milland owns in The Lost Weekend. That was a well-deserved Oscar, since he's both pathetic and terrifying in the film.

I was on a Wilder kick around that time and saw that, Ace in the Hole, The Major and the Minor, Double Indemnity (had seen before), and Five Graves to Cairo all around the same time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

So I brought up Excalibur because Im introducing a friend of mine to it and I gotta say that I liked it before, but now I kinda think it's my favorite fantasy movie period

Arthur winning over Sir Uriens by doing a flying tackle off a castle and then handing Uriens Excalibur and telling him to knight him is extremely my poo poo, and probably one of the best scenes in any fantasy movie ever.

Excalibur is a favorite of mine, it's extremely and almost literally metal. Those armors :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just watch this in repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AJmKkU5POA

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

why

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Make sure you're getting some sugar in your system. Water down some Gatorade or eat some jello.

Glamorama26 posted:

I had the flu a few weeks ago and in my half mad state, I watched Phantasm and Lair of the White Worm. It was pretty fun.

Other than that, I recommend sweating a lot and throw in some writhing cuz there is no hope

Egbert Souse posted:

Make sure you're drinking real Gatorade since Powerade and most generics have HFCS instead of sucrose/sugar.

Also, take ginger tablets. They settle your stomach and ginger is antimicrobal.

A sincere thanks to u all for saving me from becoming some sort of inside-out vomit skeleton.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

The Soderbergh movie?

It's a Soderbergh movie.

I've only seen Haywire and Ocean's 11, but I enjoyed them both. I guess this post means I need to watch more Soderbergh in general.

Criminal Minded posted:

Star Wars Episode I.

:drat:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've only seen Haywire and Ocean's 11, but I enjoyed them both. I guess this post means I need to watch more Soderbergh in general.

What the gently caress

WHAT THE gently caress

oh man

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

therattle posted:

"Low-hanging-fruit grabbers" is what I call the people who work in orchards that don't have ladders.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's a happy song with a pleasant video for the guy who's down

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The obvious answer is the complete filmography of Sam Raimi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL8hVXSDmNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxz-8XR938
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyU2PJCk7Y

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

The obvious answer is the complete filmography of Sam Raimi

well, except A Simple Plan, that one's a massive downer.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
A Simple Plan is really interesting because it's the most Coen Brothers movie of his career, even moreso than the movie the Coens wrote for him, or the movie he directed within Burn After Reading.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Jesus, man. Get on that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

A Simple Plan is really interesting because it's the most Coen Brothers movie of his career, even moreso than the movie the Coens wrote for him, or the movie he directed within Burn After Reading.

The Coens did consult on set on how to shoot in the snow (since this was right after Fargo).

I don't think I knew Raimi directed the film-within-a-film in Burn After Reading, that's great. Hudsucker Proxy is of course another great Raimi/Coen meeting of the minds.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
A Simple Plan OWNS. Billy Bob kills it.

On the Raimi note: about 5 eps into Ash vs Evil Dead and I'm pretty OK with it!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Coens did consult on set on how to shoot in the snow (since this was right after Fargo).

I don't think I knew Raimi directed the film-within-a-film in Burn After Reading, that's great. Hudsucker Proxy is of course another great Raimi/Coen meeting of the minds.

I'm not 100% certain Sam Raimi directed that, but I'm pretty sure because he's credited on the poster for the fake movie. Also, I always forget Sam Raimi co-wrote The Hudsucker Proxy, I really gotta revisit that one. Is the name Hudsucker from something? Because on my most recent viewing of Raising Arizona, I noticed that Hi works for Hudsucker Industries.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

Yeah its extremely good. Billy Bob obviously steals the show, but it also makes me wish Bill Paxton got more chances to play the lead in serious dramas like that.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
As a kid my friends and I were all obsessed with gangster and heist movies, and then we watched A Simple Plan we were all just like "this is exactly what would happen if we conspired to do any sort of big crime." It really shattered all of those fantasies in one fell swoop.

Later, we all went on to commit various felonies independently of each other, and it's probably why none of us ever got in any real trouble. Thanks A Simple Plan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm not 100% certain Sam Raimi directed that, but I'm pretty sure because he's credited on the poster for the fake movie. Also, I always forget Sam Raimi co-wrote The Hudsucker Proxy, I really gotta revisit that one. Is the name Hudsucker from something? Because on my most recent viewing of Raising Arizona, I noticed that Hi works for Hudsucker Industries.

I could be wrong but I think it's a reference to J.J. Hunsecker from Sweet Smell of Success (which is also an outstanding movie if you haven't seen it).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Budgie Jumping posted:

For something that feels like it should just be a Fargo knockoff, A Simple Plan is really good. Raimi's pretty restrained and doesn't do anything too wild except for one shot of chickens and a dude getting blasted across a room by a shotgun, and it shows that even without all the gimmicks he's a drat great director.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
RIP George 'The Animal' Steele. Big wrestling star back in the day, and non-wrestling fans may know him from his role in Ed Wood.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Huh. I assumed he died a long time ago. Eating all those turnbuckles couldn't have been healthy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I liked when Evil Dead's signature camera movement appeared in the first two Coen features.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
My coworker had his brother come out to our site cause he needs to yell at him and now I'm just sitting here while they argue in creole.

I think I'm gonna do some snake-hunting and hopefully get a good pic of a cottonmouth in action. Yay fridays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I liked when Evil Dead's signature camera movement appeared in the first two Coen features.

I didn't actually learn until recently that Joel Coen was on the editing team for the first Evil Dead. I knew per the Evil Dead II commentary (greatest commentary track of all time) that some combination of the Coens, the Raimis, and Holly Hunter were all sharing an apartment at the time.

• Locked thread