Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

mango sentinel posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with Alessandra Mussolini.

All anyone needs to know about Italian politics is to remember the bit from the MST3K episode "Final Justice", where at one point the villain is described as "a major source of embarrassment to the Italian government", at which point Mike replies "That's hard to do!" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Archonex posted:

Yeah. The idea that anyone would permit a recent descendant of a genocidal fascist to be in political power is a bit mind boggling all by itself actually. Especially when they're literally quoting nazi apologia verbatim. Which I think is still a crime in Italy?

Pretty sure Italy's current leadership is more openly fascist than Trump is.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
That Denise lady is just jealous because gay men are allowed to talk to their husbands while The Big Game is on.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

All anyone needs to know about Italian politics is to remember the bit from the MST3K episode "Final Justice", where at one point the villain is described as "a major source of embarrassment to the Italian government", at which point Mike replies "That's hard to do!" :v:

My very, very favorite part of John Oliver's tenure on "The Bugle" was the utter, unadulterated joy that he took from reporting on Berlusconi. That's where I learned the phrase "bunga bunga.":allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SocketWrench posted:

Well, Robocop takes place in Detroit under a crime epidemic during a time when real Detroit was under a crime epidemic and people were searching for an answer, any answer. Robocop also had to follow law and rules, and felt some emotion as to who he was and people around him.

Starship Troopers is really none of that with the only emotion being "My friend and/or fuckbuddy is gone, kill everything"

Human emotion in ST is repressed and replaced with anger but the main characters aren't really awful people to begin with, apart from Carmen and Carl. Most of them are normal dumbass young people victimized by a fascist state that replaces genuine agency with service to the state interests. Really humanity is kept at arm's length. When Rasczack tutors Rico he reaches out to him with his remaining hand, but when he's in a military role he only commands using his cybernetic arm, showing how his own mutilation has become a barrier between genuine humanity and what is expected of the mobile infantry.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

Really humanity is kept at arm's length. When Rasczack tutors Rico he reaches out to him with his remaining hand, but when he's in a military role he only commands using his cybernetic arm, showing how his own mutilation has become a barrier between genuine humanity and what is expected of the mobile infantry.

O_O

I never thought about that symbolism before

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Arcsquad12 posted:

Human emotion in ST is repressed and replaced with anger but the main characters aren't really awful people to begin with, apart from Carmen and Carl. Most of them are normal dumbass young people victimized by a fascist state that replaces genuine agency with service to the state interests. Really humanity is kept at arm's length. When Rasczack tutors Rico he reaches out to him with his remaining hand, but when he's in a military role he only commands using his cybernetic arm, showing how his own mutilation has become a barrier between genuine humanity and what is expected of the mobile infantry.

"Die for your country you're not really part of"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Denise comes across as the kind of person who would happily tell you that the female orgasm is a myth. Also I doubt she has ever had an orgasm because that would gently caress with her worldview.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

starship troopers is genius because it's not a satire made from our perspective but told by that society itself. it's the kind of movie nazis would be making now if they had won the war.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
The bugs killed ten million people in Buenos Aires and they fairly calmly went to war while nothing else changed in their society.

You lost less than three thousand on 9/11 and ended up electing Trump.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kafka Esq. posted:

The bugs killed ten million people in Buenos Aires and they fairly calmly went to war while nothing else changed in their society.

You lost less than three thousand on 9/11 and ended up electing Trump.

Counterthesis: A meteor hit Buenos Aires, and the government blamed it on a race of bugs they thought were fairly unintelligent and located on the other side of the galaxy, so they could send people to kill them all.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Mystic Mongol posted:

Counterthesis: A meteor hit Buenos Aires, and the government blamed it on a race of bugs they thought were fairly unintelligent and located on the other side of the galaxy, so they could send people to kill them all.

They probably blamed the bugs because the Americans were ready to blame the meteor on Muslims and immigrants.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The bugs were clearly acting in self defense.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kafka Esq. posted:

They probably blamed the bugs because the Americans were ready to blame the meteor on Muslims and immigrants.

Well, that's fascism for you. It's all about in groups and out groups. We see a fascist society where all genders and ethnicities are respected and given equal rights, and all they had to do to achieve that is send their young to die fighting genocidal wars against a variety of alien menaces all across the galaxy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1112388053518204928

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, that's fascism for you. It's all about in groups and out groups. We see a fascist society where all genders and ethnicities are respected and given equal rights, and all they had to do to achieve that is send their young to die fighting genocidal wars against a variety of alien menaces all across the galaxy.

I see a society where white Americans replaced everyone in Buenos Aires.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Kafka Esq. posted:

I see a society where white Americans replaced everyone in Buenos Aires.

I mean, sure? It's hard to tell how much of that is intended, and how much is just Hollywood trying to depict future diversity... with a greater diversity of places having white people.

We see no direct evidence of discrimination on earth, and a white male general is replaced with a black female one. Society has successfully exported its hate to the bugs.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So one thing most people probably are not aware of is that the Otherkin scene was notoriously obsessed with swords. My little Otherkin cult spent many hours swinging cheap blades at each other in the belief that we were training ourselves for some sort of great uprising. There was a number of Orherkin cults we encountered that had a similar obsession with swords in conjunction with a belief in some sort of pending uprising. In fact this shared belief was part of what made the delusion do convincing- when complete strangers had the same belief structure and compulsive obsession with melee violence or really made us feel line we were a part of this secret elite that deserved to rule dociety.

Now whenever I bring up Otherkin cults I usually get drowned out by laughter and guffaws; but please understand that what I and my friends experienced in the Otherkin community was the same basic behaviour pattern that is playing out now in the alt-right. The difference now though is that there were only a few tens of thousands of Otherkin and there are millions of chuds.

I cannot tell you how many hundreds of variants of this exact sword-wielding fantasy I heard voiced by dejected social rejects in Otherkin circles:

https://mobile.twitter.com/anti0gam...genumber%3D2139

https://mobile.twitter.com/anti0gamer/status/1112192376234115072

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 31, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

Well, Robocop takes place in Detroit under a crime epidemic during a time when real Detroit was under a crime epidemic and people were searching for an answer, any answer. Robocop also had to follow law and rules, and felt some emotion as to who he was and people around him.

Starship Troopers is really none of that with the only emotion being "My friend and/or fuckbuddy is gone, kill everything"

I need a fuckbuddy. You're it until you're dead or till I find someone better.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Krispy Wafer posted:

I need a fuckbuddy. You're it until you're dead or till I find someone better.

this reply would be less menacing if you used some punctuation to suggest it was intended as a quote

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Failed Imagineer posted:

this reply would be less menacing if you used some punctuation to suggest it was intended as a quote

This is the societal degeneration the English teachers warned us about

If. Only. We. Listened.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

And people say the US Media doesn't ask the tough questions.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

We see no direct evidence of discrimination on earth, and a white male general is replaced with a black female one. Society has successfully exported its hate to the bugs.

So, like Americans, you can point to the appointment of a black head of state as the end of racism.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's what makes it so great.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Kafka Esq. posted:

So, like Americans, you can point to the appointment of a black head of state as the end of racism.

As an American, yeah.

Man, you can make up any secret racism that you want to, but it's not shown in the movie. Starship Troopers asks, "Would violent military fascism be OK if the violence was directed towards hideous bug space monsters?" And the answer, "It's bad because they hate everyone who isn't white!" is not engaging with the work.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

So one thing most people probably are not aware of is that the Otherkin scene was notoriously obsessed with swords. My little Otherkin cult spent many hours swinging cheap blades at each other in the belief that we were training ourselves for some sort of great uprising. There was a number of Orherkin cults we encountered that had a similar obsession with swords in conjunction with a belief in some sort of pending uprising. In fact this shared belief was part of what made the delusion do convincing- when complete strangers had the same belief structure and compulsive obsession with melee violence or really made us feel line we were a part of this secret elite that deserved to rule dociety.

Now whenever I bring up Otherkin cults I usually get drowned out by laughter and guffaws; but please understand that what I and my friends experienced in the Otherkin community was the same basic behaviour pattern that is playing out now in the alt-right. The difference now though is that there were only a few tens of thousands of Otherkin and there are millions of chuds.

I cannot tell you how many hundreds of variants of this exact sword-wielding fantasy I heard voiced by dejected social rejects in Otherkin circles:

The sword part entirely unsurprising.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jealous Cow posted:

The sword part entirely unsurprising.

As a person interested in historical European martial arts for purely academic and hobby reasons...

Yeah white supremacists love that poo poo.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1112322038956466176

On one hand, what the gently caress NYT who cares. On the other hand, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
There was a fash intimidation march in my city recently. Some old MAGA dude also brought a sword, but it fortunately turned out to be plastic. Pretty sure the cops just let him march without checking it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love that the completion of Rico's character arc comes at his friend's funeral when he quotes verbatim the same banal propaganda that his high school teacher made him recite at the start of the film, but now he truly believes in the words.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Jealous Cow posted:

On one hand, what the gently caress NYT who cares. On the other hand, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Somehow I'd never seen a photo of George Conway before and now I realize she married a sentient potato.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Abner Assington posted:

Somehow I'd never seen a photo of George Conway before and now I realize she married a sentient potato.

please, we prefer the term tuberous american

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Jealous Cow posted:

No

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Prester Jane posted:

Gavin McGuinness also threw a sword around during his NYC street rumble. Fuckers love that imagery.

It's an unholy cross-pollination of Mall Ninja weebs, Euro-fetishistic White Supremacists, and "Can't get a gun but still wanna look tough" pseudo-militia idiots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crain posted:

Gavin McGuinness also threw a sword around during his NYC street rumble. Fuckers love that imagery.

It's an unholy cross-pollination of Mall Ninja weebs, Euro-fetishistic White Supremacists, and "Can't get a gun but still wanna look tough" pseudo-militia idiots.

Its the same Crusader imagery the Evangelicals love hearkening back to, especially in response to Muslim Americans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i love how he obviously doesn't have real answer. trump hosed them on this issue. my guess was they were planning to make a fight against single payer/MFA/whatever by running on a shittier version of obamacare and now trump has forced them into a really lovely position which will probably hurt them in 2020.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i love how he obviously doesn't have real answer. trump hosed them on this issue. my guess was they were planning to make a fight against single payer/MFA/whatever by running on a shittier version of obamacare and now trump has forced them into a really lovely position which will probably hurt them in 2020.

They didn't have any plan at all beyond spamming bullshit and they still don't.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Saudis gave AMI Jeff Bezos's dick pics???

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/technology/jeff-bezos-saudis-hack.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Today's panel on "This week" was a rabid mouth breathing Trumpist talking about how "extreme" M4A is and an ex Dem senator agreeing with him!