Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I am enjoying my PS5 but it's very hard to tell oneself that this console generation hasn't felt a little like a wash. Like yes, the PS5 seems to have a large install base, but it just doesn't feel like it does. It definitely doesn't help that they were still doing PS4 games up to halfway through the system's life, and I've definitely heard a lot of people say about Rebirth and XVI "oh well, I don't have a PS5, I guess I'll wait for PC"

The PS4 (and X-Box X) keep going because the cost of making AAA-style games is insanely huge and if you're not making one of those then it just makes more sense to do a PS4 version or just make it PS4 because PS5/XBS are backwards compatible and digital distribution is omnipresent. There's still a lot of "next-gen only" games but stuff that might previously be exclusive because of disc cost or architecture differences now are not.

This is extra true because most modern games that aren't reliant on SSD load speeds or similar can be run at lower settings and poof you double your install base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I bought a PS5 just to play FFVII Rebirth because despite knowing that the exclusivity period would be over on May 29th, I didn't want to wait a year or more for it to come out on PC. If that's not a guarantee that they'll release the PC version on May 30th, I don't know what is.

Also, I'm not entirely sure I'm Ultimate Party Animal material. :negative:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I have a PS5 because Microsoft wanted me to pay them money to watch YouTube on my Xbox360. Made no sense to me. Why would I pay them money to use a website on a computer?

I'll just not buy their products anymore.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Fortis posted:

I bought a PS5 just to play FFVII Rebirth because despite knowing that the exclusivity period would be over on May 29th, I didn't want to wait a year or more for it to come out on PC. If that's not a guarantee that they'll release the PC version on May 30th, I don't know what is.

Also, I'm not entirely sure I'm Ultimate Party Animal material. :negative:

Yeha u are. gently caress middle management!!! (Last one is so brutal lol)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

cheeseboy58 posted:

Yeha u are. gently caress middle management!!! (Last one is so brutal lol)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love that they turned Shinra Middle Manager into such a goofy recurring character, even if he is now my mortal foe

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Middle manager was a chump during the chocobo race.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like the shinra middle manager. that's why i'm going to kill him last

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I can't wait for him to turn into a big guddamn hero during the Midgar revisit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i like the shinra middle manager. that's why i'm going to kill him last

If you can

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I am officially the Ultimate Party Animal.

It's time to do (Protorelic finale)Gilgamesh Island. Maybe. The internet seems divided on whether or not this is postgame content.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It's basically a superboss on normal/dynamic, and chump change on easy at level ~50. It's designed as postgame/difficult with recommended level 70. Not to say it's impossible, but doing it during the first playthrough requires some level of minmaxing materia. At level 70 with maxed materia, it's not particularly difficult outside of the Odin/alexander fight. Which requires you to burst down odin quickly so he phases out of the fight until you kill alexander, then quickly stagger odin before he zantetsuken's you

berenzen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 14, 2024

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Holy poo poo Cosmo Canyon is testing my patience. The map's uselessness at indicating whether something is above or below you is even worse here than Gongaga. If it wasn't for the fact that I just had the protorelic stuff and one combat assignment left I'd have moved on already.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Fortis posted:

It's time to do (Protorelic finale)Gilgamesh Island. Maybe. The internet seems divided on whether or not this is postgame content.

I did it at level 50, before heading for the endgame. It was quite difficult and took several tries.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
UPA was harder than most of the bosses on normal mode.

Speaking of, should I clear all non hard mode fights on normal mode in the simulator and arena, or does it not matter if I save them until playthrough 2? I may end up doing this over the Summer, I may try to complete everything.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Chump Farts posted:

UPA was harder than most of the bosses on normal mode.

Speaking of, should I clear all non hard mode fights on normal mode in the simulator and arena, or does it not matter if I save them until playthrough 2? I may end up doing this over the Summer, I may try to complete everything.

Do them when you feel like it, it's kind of expected you'll jump around. Sidequests work a bit weirdly in that you have to choose en-masse if they're already done or not, and basically any sidequest on hard mode that has a fight grants folios, so one strategy is to not do any hard mode sidequests at all until the end at chapter 12 or 13. Otherwise once you get to chapter 4 and say "reset all sidequests" then the hard mode sidequests you just finished for chapter 2 will also get reset.

You can do chapter 1 Hard mode right away without missing anything and you're set, though. Flashback-Cloud will have his endgame loadout from regular Cloud instead of his original setup.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am never doing UPA. Get that outta here.
Beat the game. Hardest boss was also the final boss because of the nonsense he pulls at the end when I already stupidly have spent my limitbreaks.
Vincent was pretty tough too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fortis posted:

The suggested levels are 65 and 70, so it postgame. Not worth bashing your head against the wall.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
You can def do on easy at 50. I did them but didnt realize i set it on easy, no way of going back. Oh well!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:catstare:

hey cloud what the fuc

E; :catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I did it on Dynamic and beat each challenge on the first try before going through chapter 13, but also did it after doing everything but UPA. Used a poo poo ton of items on the final fight, though, and was already familiar with the summon's bs since I fought all their hardest incantations.

Most of the challenges in this game happen in the vr/arena dimension where you can't use items, so it seemed fine to just dumpster them away for those fights.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Phantasium posted:

I did it on Dynamic and beat each challenge on the first try before going through chapter 13, but also did it after doing everything but UPA. Used a poo poo ton of items on the final fight, though, and was already familiar with the summon's bs since I fought all their hardest incantations.

Most of the challenges in this game happen in the vr/arena dimension where you can't use items, so it seemed fine to just dumpster them away for those fights.
Hi VR Summons Full Might buddy! Those prepared me well for the G. Island fights at level 50 on Dynamic, using items felt like cheating at that point. I somehow even beat Odin and Alexander on the first try. The pairings are scarier than they look because they actually change behavior of the individual summons and even give them more weaknesses. Odin even fucks off several times during the fight!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

:catstare:

hey cloud what the fuc

E; :catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare:

This could describe many different scenes

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah, I ended up going through all the (Ch.13/Postgame) tempering challenges and Gilgamesh fight on Easy and have no regrets. I've loved the gently caress out of this game but a Hard Mode playthrough just isn't in the cards for me; I've done every single sidequest and when I hit credits, I'm ready to be totally done. I got to fight Gilgamesh near a big bridge, complete with amazing music, and he even said the line, and then I got a bunch of cool materia for my trouble. Flipped it back to Normal and now I'm on my way into the endgame, which according to everything I've read online should be another several hours.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rhonne posted:

This could describe many different scenes

Post second Gongaga boss

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just beat Vincent on Hard Mode but thought that was the end of the chapter so I used all my mp. Now I've got two mp for a cloud solo fight. Speaking of, Roche was weak to fire in Remake and in the Junon fight, but in the second battle in Rebirth he isn't. Dumb to change that imo. Especially because most humans are. In the game I mean. Not that irl humans aren't. You know what I mean.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

deoju posted:

I just beat Vincent on Hard Mode but thought that was the end of the chapter so I used all my mp. Now I've got two mp for a cloud solo fight. Speaking of, Roche was weak to fire in Remake and in the Junon fight, but in the second battle in Rebirth he isn't. Dumb to change that imo. Especially because most humans are. In the game I mean. Not that irl humans aren't. You know what I mean.

Have you met my friends "Counterstance" and "Punisher Mode parry"

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
PRIME MODE. ENGAGED

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It ended up not being that hard. I just had to relearn the attacks and I used prayer once to heal.

Incidentally, Roche would be great to cosplay at a FF convention. Just dress up and be obnoxious and loud. I'd do it, but I don't have the time/money/charisma.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JOHNNY'S HOTEL: REMAKE

E: lmao that Cid actually looks 32 now

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 17, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hey what the gently caress

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Waffleman_ posted:

hey what the gently caress

Cosmo Canyon?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cavelcade posted:

Cosmo Canyon?

Cutscene after taking the plane

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

deoju posted:

Did you consider that Hojo injected him with Jenova cells and other experimental things that changed him?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

deoju posted:

Hojo literally experimented on Roche and the dude is already half-XehanortSephiroth.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
OK fine. I'm just butt hurt that I tried a bunch times with fire+elemental on my sword before I figured it out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I would very much like to see this information on this screen instead of equipping each weapon going to the opening my materia load out then going through each slot at a time. Maybe just pressing a button to toggle.

Also, that Lodbrok fellow has a great head of hair. I wonder what it would look like if he grew it out.

Hmm. looks familiar. I can't place it though...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Waffleman_ posted:

Cutscene after taking the plane

Wait until you do the "find my chickens!" sidequest in Gongaga. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Wait until you do the "find my chickens!" sidequest in Gongaga. :v:

I'm doing it right now!

What the gently caress do you mean all three of these loving chickens are one step of the quest

These quests are too loving long! God drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm doing it right now!

What the gently caress do you mean all three of these loving chickens are one step of the quest

These quests are too loving long! God drat!

if it's any consolation, that quest has a couple of amazing payoffs