Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Does anyone actually use the square wave worm? Is there some awesome synergy is has with something that I've been overlooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I have gnawed leaf, BBF, and revenge crow. Do I just go take a nap and wait for these bosses to die?

e: yeah taking a long rear end coffee sip instead of fighting the bloat. No thank you.

e2: It doesn't say it but I have mr. mega also so I'm pretty sure when this fly takes off 40% of satan's health right off the bat this is less a waste of time sure thing than it could be. How else is Magdalene gonna finish sheol?

(and regeneration). When the fallen split and pushed me in a corner I tried to get out and my five hearts almost depleted. Got back to 1.5 hearts just letting the crow and fly fight for me.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 29, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Full Battle Rattle posted:

How's this for a lost rebalance -

A trinket that will give you a set of collectibles when you collect a health up (say, 3 bombs, 3 keys, and 3 pennies for a permanent health point, and 1 each for a soul/black heart)

Just start him with the loving Stopwatch so we don't have to restart 500 times to get it on the first floor. Everyone's just restarting for that, Gnawed Leaf, Daddy Longlegs, or any of his other almost-required-to-win items anyway. Why not cut down on frustration and restarts?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo. I went to play a game (very very very tired on no sleep) and I got the trippiest combo I've seen in the game so far. The power that speeds up and slows down your speed (along with bursts of invincibility) and the Dr. Manhattan stop-time bullets; combined, it's pretty much pure unfiltered madness. (With about 7 pills that sped up tears, too.)

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Does anyone actually use the square wave worm? Is there some awesome synergy is has with something that I've been overlooking?

Does it work with the blood vomit from the lung?

Because if so that'd be hilarious. A wall of destruction.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I see a lot of 'I got Godhead yay me' posts, but since I'll probably never get to that point, I'll brag another way.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I hope they make the lost even harder just to spite all you loving whiners

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

If this wasn't directed at me, my bad, but I don't see where I'm whining in my post. I am content with the fact that I probably won't get anywhere with the Lost if/when I unlock him. I'm more happy that I finally beat the Beans! challenge last night. You gotta pick your battles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would definitely say that The Lost is unfair in his current state, but he's not unfair because of his own stats, he's unfair because the game design doesn't accommodate the challenge he's meant to convey. If there were less rooms where damage is nigh-unavoidable whether you can fly or not, The Lost would be much less reliant on good RNG. Therefore, either the game design needs to change or he needs to change and I think the latter would take a whole lot less work.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Why am I still playing this game. Maybe when I beat everything on hard with everyone I'll stop.

ChibiSoma posted:

Just start him with the loving Stopwatch so we don't have to restart 500 times to get it on the first floor. Everyone's just restarting for that, Gnawed Leaf, Daddy Longlegs, or any of his other almost-required-to-win items anyway. Why not cut down on frustration and restarts?

I feel really bad for anyone restarting until they get the Stopwatch on the first floor. It's good but doesn't give that much safety, and against the Lamb might be actively bad. I find the best items to restart for is the Dead Cat on a curse room, strong and safe offensive items, and/or the Holy Mantle.

The Dead Cat is nearly essential, it makes the Lost manageable, and is also 1/3 of the Guppy transformation, which is very strong and was present is all of my most successful runs. I would often sacrifice lives checking Curse Rooms for further pieces. Offensive items will carry you for a few floors as you hope for a Dead Cat. I would always enter Curse Rooms I came across, even if I had no way of getting out yet. And the Holy Mantle, while also a great defensive item, will most importantly let you get in and out of all Curse Rooms.

Yes, I really like Curse Rooms as the Lost. The red chest pool is just great for him. Besides Guppy pieces, you can often get the Goat Head, which really helps to capitalize on those free devil deals, and you'll sometimes get warped to the Devil Room, just to find Brimstone for sale and then immediately realize you have no way of getting out.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 29, 2014

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Secret room, what the gently caress are you doing only connected to one room?

Unless the top secret room was below it? I wasn't able to check for that, but the top secret room shouldn't be able to connect to the curse room anyway.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
The lost is a terrible bore to play. And I 100% agree that this game isn't designed for this kind of challenge. The dark room can go right to loving hell with that room with three adversaries. Literally, you just need enough firepower to kill those assholes before one of them can use homing brimstone on you.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I might have mentioned this before, but I think the best way to "fix" the Lost, is to give him another way to get extra lives. That way you preserve the mechanic of having to clear rooms without taking hits, while lowering the importance of the Dead Cat.

If health ups were extra lives to the Lost, it would make a great many items actually useful to him. It would give an incentive not to reset so eagerly, since most bosses would have the potential for giving extra lives. It's also not so far off from mechanics already in the game: the Blue Baby, the original challenge character, has health ups giving him souls. And we would all get to hear about the guy who rune of jeraed enough health up pills to crash the game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Beeme posted:

I might have mentioned this before, but I think the best way to "fix" the Lost, is to give him another way to get extra lives. That way you preserve the mechanic of having to clear rooms without taking hits, while lowering the importance of the Dead Cat.

If health ups were extra lives to the Lost, it would make a great many items actually useful to him. It would give an incentive not to reset so eagerly, since most bosses would have the potential for giving extra lives. It's also not so far off from mechanics already in the game: the Blue Baby, the original challenge character, has health ups giving him souls. And we would all get to hear about the guy who rune of jeraed enough health up pills to crash the game.

That would be a lot more interesting than how The Lost currently works. That would essentially make it so that you have a permanent cursed skull effect that activates anytime you get hurt, which would be annoying but way less annoying than just restarting because a single shot hit you.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Makes Brimstone look hella sweet, but makes your tears hard to land, so no, it's a bit poo poo.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Crosspeice posted:

Makes Brimstone look hella sweet, but makes your tears hard to land, so no, it's a bit poo poo.

Yeah, I always pick up Hook Worm when I'm rolling with Brimstone or Technology. The bigger area of effect is really powerful, especially with the latter.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I had the most emotional rollercoaster ride a run with Azazel.

Was on hard mode and got Money is Power as my first item. Awesome!

Then I got the Inner Eye, making it basically impossible to attack. Less awesome.

But then I got Tammy's Head and every boss died with a single burst.

But THEN I got Soy Milk and suddenly did pretty much no damage with that, either. (Does +Tears increase Azazel/Brimstone's charge rate?)

The run ended when I was in the Dark Room and accidently walked into a block and died for some reason. Oh well.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Anatharon posted:

I had the most emotional rollercoaster ride a run with Azazel.

Was on hard mode and got Money is Power as my first item. Awesome!

Then I got the Inner Eye, making it basically impossible to attack. Less awesome.

But then I got Tammy's Head and every boss died with a single burst.

But THEN I got Soy Milk and suddenly did pretty much no damage with that, either. (Does +Tears increase Azazel/Brimstone's charge rate?)

The run ended when I was in the Dark Room and accidently walked into a block and died for some reason. Oh well.

+tears does increase his charge rate but no matter what, soy milk is really not worth it with brimstone.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
On my latest Eden run, I found a Suicide King card. I had the Relic and the Ankh. The Relic and a lot of lucky drops gave me a fair amount of spare soul hearts on Womb 1. I decided to play a spike room until it paid out and then use the card.

Not a particularly good payout (rune was Hagalaz and the chests didn't have anything good) but I was able to kill Isaac and ??? by using my newfound polaroid invincibility + Midas Touch + Ball of Bandages to ram them to death in seconds.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Had what felt like the slowest fight against Mega Satan. Started as Cain, and got pretty low damage all the way through, chipping away at bosses with slow bouncing tears. Think the only damage upgrade I got was the Blood Clot item. Jokered into an angel room early, so I got the key, all the way to The Lamb, which took a long time given my awful damage.

However, I had managed a very self-sustaining set up along the way. Habit + Satanic Bible + Wafer + Gimpy + 9 Volt was a huge boon in creating dark and soul hearts on the fly, and Charm of the Vampire helped when I got into red heart damage. So, while it took forever to kill things, I would be very far from death even in the Dark Room.

So, after putting The Lamb to work, I went for the secret boss, which took a dog's age as you can imagine, but I did put it down and got that last ending. Final phase took me as close as 1 red heart, even with my sustaining set up, the attack patterns got pretty crazy (and I don't play bullet hell games normally) and I think I saw most of them given how long it took to take him down.

And yes, that was my first time fighting him. Could have waited for a stronger (faster) set up, but I figured since I had the ability, why not? Still left with a lot to do, but that's one less thing to worry about for me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Stokes posted:

I see a lot of 'I got Godhead yay me' posts, but since I'll probably never get to that point, I'll brag another way.

On the flip side, I've had 5 successful lost runs, killed Mega Satan, and done everything else needed for Real Platinum God and I still haven't gotten four meat cubes to drop in the same run so that's something

It's kinda crazy that it's actually easier to set up the infinite monster manual cheese setup

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Idea for the lost: getting a health up or x number of soul / sin hearts gives you half an eternal heart. The eternal hearts are a single hit and cannot be replenished. This gives you a very small amount of leeway without causing frustration while also keeping the lost's "don't get hit ever" play style.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CJacobs posted:

Man, Loki's Horns + Rubber Cement coupled with high luck is like I'm playing a Binding of Isaac pinball table and I just hit the multiball. With the number of times shots ricochet I pretty much can't not hit something.

edit: Fun fact that I learned because of all my bouncy shots, Satan is programmed to go from his second to third stage when he has a sliver of health left, but not when his health actually runs out... so if you manage to exhaust the last of his health bar in one big chunk it'll skip the last part of the fight and you'll win!

This is how all multistage bosses/enemies work actually. They're supposed to become invincible just long enough for the animation to play and then go back to normal. But if you can freeze them or get lucky with DOT damage they'll just die. This goes for Satan, Blastocyst and probably Terratoma/Fistula. The trick doesn't work with the Fallen because he splits at half health.

I've seen Lethal Fragon his streams freeze-shatter Satan with a lucky Concussion Shot and I've personally gibbed Blastocyst with DOT damage several times.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Secret room, what the gently caress are you doing only connected to one room?

Unless the top secret room was below it? I wasn't able to check for that, but the top secret room shouldn't be able to connect to the curse room anyway.

If the other rooms are configured to not allow it to spawn connected to two or more, then it'll be off on a single. A secret room cannot be connected to ANY room that has one of it's walls obstructed/disconnected from the rest of the room by tiles that are only passable with flight, even if all other rooms that would touch it are valid.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The lost is supposed to be stupid hard you goddamn whiners. Half of you wouldn't even know he existed if you didn't read about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

The lost is supposed to be stupid hard you goddamn whiners. Half of you wouldn't even know he existed if you didn't read about it.

Being almost entirely luck based still isn't good game design even if it supposed to be stupid hard.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I must have spontaneously acquired some skill at TBoI today, because I finally unlocked the d6 after nearly 40 hours' playtime! :toot: Not using any special broken combos or anything, either - just normal tears and some good old-fashioned intelligent playing. I even made it to ??? and got him down to his second form on just a single blue heart, and then died to a stray bullet.

That really shows you that careful playing can overcome anything the game throws at you.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
There's already a mod out that makes the Lost more manageable. You start with Holy Mantle, Book of Shadows, and AAA.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Today has probably been the best Isaac day I've ever had, original included. My win streak is somehow up to 8 after starting the day at 1 (including beating The Lamb with one heart left, which for me is massive), I've unlocked 11 new achievements (including Dark Boy), and, most importantly, I've just created a level 4 Bandage Girl. :)

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 29, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Lost having a permanent Cursed Skull effect would be hilariously annoying. You can't not lose, but if you take one hit, you're doing that entire room over again. War of attrition.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I am guilty about whining about the Lost. There is a lot of frustration built into runs with him, from finding useable items for him, to hoping you dont get a bullshit room, to wrestling with your own stupidity and inability to dodge.

That being said I have done all the Hard mode runs and unlocked Godhead. We just want somewhere to vent really.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
God drat this game. Just can't get Godhead to appear. Had a run and got Sharp Plug, Pyromaniac, Mom's Toenail(which should give me infinite rerolls, right? If Mom's foot heals you and it comes down once per minute), got Goathead, and of course not a SINGLE loving ANGEL ROOM appears. God drat it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh, look it's Bloody Lust! As the Lost! Again. Getting real sick of your poo poo, game. Also fun was finding out that the Haunt can appear as a regular enemy in the Necropolis. Dealing with that poo poo with no damage ups twice in one run really sucks, though that's not what killed me. Died to Mom instead. :shrug:

I wish the Lost started with better stats or a special way of attacking. Imagine how much more fun the Lost would be if it had Azazel's mini-Brimstone or something. poo poo, just combine the two so it's Azazel without health.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

God drat this game. Just can't get Godhead to appear. Had a run and got Sharp Plug, Pyromaniac, Mom's Toenail(which should give me infinite rerolls, right? If Mom's foot heals you and it comes down once per minute), got Goathead, and of course not a SINGLE loving ANGEL ROOM appears. God drat it.

Game must have heard me just like the Ravens do sometimes. I got it!!! And Real plat god!! I think I should take the game's advice too and stop playing for a bit. :D

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

Game must have heard me just like the Ravens do sometimes. I got it!!! And Real plat god!! I think I should take the game's advice too and stop playing for a bit. :D

Turns out complaining in this thread is the key to making godhead appear. I got my RPG last night. Now to take a break for a while, then I'm gonna finish off getting those red hardmode borders on everyone else.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That was one of the most powerful runs I've ever had. I've never exhausted the Angel Room item pool before. Not only that I got Godhead and Guppy on the same run. Plu other great items like Blood of the Martyr, Piercing Shot, Rubber Cement, Parasite. Big rooms on the chest were getting obliterated within a second of entering the room.

Bring on the expansion!!!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Kenishi posted:

There's already a mod out that makes the Lost more manageable. You start with Holy Mantle, Book of Shadows, and AAA.

Wow this is some real pussy poo poo right here

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Wow this is some real pussy poo poo right here

Yeah, Book of Shadows and AAA are overkill. I am guilty of start-scumming until I got the Holy Mantle as a first item, however; being able to take a hit per room really makes The Lost tolerable. The only time I completed a The Lost run without it was when I lucked into Dead Cat+two other guppy items in the first curse room.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kenishi posted:

you really might as well just skip modding the game and cheat for the items at that point

i mean gently caress, I agree The lost is stupid and doesn't fit the game he's in and I just abused dead cat bug while it was live but I just don't see why a mod is necessary. If you dislike the challenge as presented, just cheat, gently caress it.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Got myself the Dark Boy achievement on my first Chest/D6 run with Isaac. Quadshot/Guppy/Mark/Mom's Contact/Blood Clot/Jesus Juice/Spoon Bender and tons of other damage up goodies. Feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The problem for me is not that it's hard, I love that. The problem is that I like items and there are a lot of them that are useless for the Lost. It makes it a little stale when the pool of items is cut by like 1/3.