Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Den-O had a bike, but we all know what he's mostly known for

Besides his mop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm disappointed Shin's bike isn't a bizarre techno-organic monstrosity tbh.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm disappointed Shin's bike isn't a bizarre techno-organic monstrosity tbh.

That's Black's Battle Hopper AKA best character in KR Black. Doesn't Shin just have a normal bike he owned beforehand? Shin is strange and hilariously bad in my opinion, especially for the scene where we have the mad scientist ranting about how grasshoppers are telepathic soldiers who fight for their nation and will overthrow god.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

That's Black's Battle Hopper AKA best character in KR Black. Doesn't Shin just have a normal bike he owned beforehand? Shin is strange and hilariously bad in my opinion, especially for the scene where we have the mad scientist ranting about how grasshoppers are telepathic soldiers who fight for their nation and will overthrow god.

Yeah and as far as I can remember he never actually rides it while transformed.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Start experimenting with vehicles imo

Next season he has a snowmobile

After that, a riding mower

One of the best parts of Wizard's garbage quality was the writers forgetting Beast had no motorcycle until 40 episodes in and suddenly HEY KOUSUKE KNOWS HOW TO BMX LIKE A MOTHERFUCKING CHAMPION LET'S SPEND AN ENTIRE EPISODE ON THAT.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Calling Nico incompetent is kind of weird when she managed to beat a lot of powered-up Bugsters with the shittiest tech in the series. As a Ride-Player, which again, is literally the shittiest form in-series to the point that it seems to be made specifically to get its users killed (and Parad sure took advantage of this), she managed to be far more competent and skilled than, say, Brave Lv5. And she managed to keep her life when every other Ride-Player either abandoned, had to get saved, or just died, putting her above Kuroto (who has died over a hundred times) in terms of survival.
Hey gently caress you buddy, Dan Kuroto God has only died ninety-eight times and he died (mostly, kind of?) to save the world so back off with that slander.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

His lives got reset to 99 the first time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nico was by far the best ride player, but that's not really saying much considering that every other ride player was limited to ineffectual flailing. none of them had the slightest success against any bugster. she probably would be a perfectly good kamen rider if given the chance, though.

also, the kamen rider w manga perfectly captures how incredibly bad shotaro is with women.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, the kamen rider w manga perfectly captures how incredibly bad shotaro is with women.

Speaking of the W manga, we just released Chapter 2. Down to shorter chapters now, but I think they're weekly from here on. We should also have a revised version of Chapter 1 done soon-ish as we've worked on smoothing over the dialogue a bit so that it feels more natural.

http://live.ozc-anime.com/2017/08/kamen-rider-w-fuuto-detective-chapter-2/

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
And Nico is still a Ride Player, if powerful one. They just can't match level 50s and 100s, especially when it devolves to straight fighting instead of unique gimmicks like Burgermon's game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy, Dan Kuroto God has only died ninety-eight times and he died (mostly, kind of?) to save the world so back off with that slander.

Even if we only count the 98 lives lost before the Reset, he still died as a human, so that's 99. And he got several lives back from Masamune's Reset, which pushes it over a hundred (though I can't give an exact number, I don't remember how many lives he lost before it).

That he's still living after dying so much and still the best is only more proof about his godly talents, of course. I, too, believe in Neo Dan "Dangerous Zombie" Kuroto God.

GuyUpNorth posted:

And Nico is still a Ride Player, if powerful one. They just can't match level 50s and 100s, especially when it devolves to straight fighting instead of unique gimmicks like Burgermon's game.

Imagine all of that skill but with the proper equipment. I won't blame the series for not doing it, but I'll be genuinely annoyed if the post-series specials don't have one dedicated to Nico going beyond Ride-Player and into full-blown Kamen Rider Nico.

That can be a heavily customized Cronus. I won't complain about it, the Cronus suit would look really cute with decals and the bag. Not sure how you'd get the hat on though...

W manga-wise, I'm surprised that they didn't go for two very long chapters to mimic the series' two-episode plots. I expected it to, but I won't complain about a weekly manga either.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Even if we only count the 98 lives lost before the Reset, he still died as a human, so that's 99. And he got several lives back from Masamune's Reset, which pushes it over a hundred (though I can't give an exact number, I don't remember how many lives he lost before it).

That he's still living after dying so much and still the best is only more proof about his godly talents, of course. I, too, believe in Neo Dan "Dangerous Zombie" Kuroto God.
He's down to 2 now, so I was counting 1 + 97. But you are absolutely right, I completely forgot about the Reset, which pushes it well over one hundred. And here I thought I was defending God, while I was in fact underestimating him. I shall have to work harder to redeem myself in His Eyes.

However, I did previously look at his Wiki to see if I could find an exact number. I could not, but man is that thing a gift. Not only do they try to fit every single special/cameo into his story outline, but there is a segment titled "Murdering Burgermon" which I think has to raise the canon of Ex-Aid yet higher in the pantheon of greatness.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That can be a heavily customized Cronus. I won't complain about it, the Cronus suit would look really cute with decals and the bag. Not sure how you'd get the hat on though...

Now I don't want anything but Cronus wearing the backpack and hat.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like how this week's ending bumper for True Ending specifically focuses on bits with Parad and Poppy. :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Faiz and Blade are probably tied for most bike use of the Heisei Riders. Blade didn't fight on his much but he used it pretty much all the time to go running after Undead. And Faiz's bike was a transformer which was cool for the two times he used it to help him in fights.

Then there's Hibiki, who didn't have a bike at all until after the horrible changes past episode 30.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Here is Ex Aid with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

"I'll clear this bilateral trade agreement with no continues!"

alternatively

"I'll get elected this year, even if I have to use four continues!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think Kuuga might take them both down.

He straight up had motorcycle duels and they were amazing.

King of Bikes for the Showa Era is without question Kamen Rider Black. Battle Hopper Best Bike.

I own two bikes. I went out of my goddamn way to get Battle Hopper's figuart, and Cyclone came with my SIC OG Hongo.

I basically have two toy lines I'm 'collecting', in a given term for it. I don't have a lot of cash so it's reserved for either gifts from friends or BIG CELEBRATION things, but I'm keeping up with the NECA Godzilla line as much as I care to. Meaning, I get the new sculpts and ignore the remolds and repaints- unless it's specifically a new version of the character like Burning Godzilla- and this line is pretty easy to keep up with since they're only 20 a pop and they come out so infrequently

My longer running one though, is SIC Kamen Rider.

Figuarts are fine, but I have giant meaty man hands that don't play nice with small fragile things for a few reasons I won't go into. So their size has always been an issue for me. Even then, they're so small and have so little going on most of the time, I cannot feel like I'm getting my money's worth, which is absolutely a thing for me.

I have a few figuarts though. I have Ultimate Kuuga, which a friend got for me back in 2011 I think, maybe 2012, I have a ZO that another friend that happens to be on these very forums, Jason, picked up for me at a convention. And I have the threesome of New Shadow Moon, New Kamen Rider Black and New Battle Hopper. Mostly because they look absolutely perfect and I really hate what they did to Black in SIC form. So for those four, I'm relatively fine with having them just as Figuarts. They're the Riders I love the most besides V3 who I'm still not happy with his figuart

But with SIC, I actually have a goal in mind that I've been slowly working towards. I aim to collect all Seven Legendary Riders, Plus Two. (And the others that come along for the ride)

So far I have Kamen Riders Ichigo and Stronger, specifically the original Ichigo figure that had articulation and came with Cyclone. Which is a giant thing, for the record. So that's Two out of the Seven that I want.

However thanks to having Stronger, I also have Tackle, who I of course have in her full Kamen Rider style helmet, so that's One out of the Two extras.

The other extra?

ZO. He just arrived today and I could not be happier.

I have a massive weak spot for ZO because he's really no one's favorite Rider, but he was my first one. I own his movie on DVD from some bootleg site from God knows where, and I do dig his look for the most part. So I am more than happy to have Baby ZO and All Grown Up ZO side by side.

Doras is also amazing.

I'm specifically after the older versions too, which thankfully aren't that expensive so maybe in the coming years I'll be able to snatch 'em one by one. Amazon is going to be the big purchase, as he comes with his own bike and it's a monster of a thing.

side note, SIC Ichigo from Volume 14 is kind of an amazing thing. It's from 2001, and it's JUST about the first figure they had that had articulation.

But all the articulation is FOR is to either stand up, or to fit perfectly on his bike. So none of it works like a modern toy, or even ANY other toy I've ever seen. And the engineering is pretty goddamn incredible for how well he fits, it's just, man, he's a weird gangly fucker. I love it though, and I love the early SIC aesthetic. I can't wait to get Nigo one day and have three of the mold hanging out.

The fact that all of these old SICs come with so much extra poo poo is just great. Nigo comes with a Shocker Rider, V3 comes with Riderman and his arsenal, X comes with Apollo Geist in his coolest iteration ever, Amazon comes with his bike, Stronger and Tackle and of course ZO and Doras.

You almost get enough bad guys to have everyone squaring off against a virtual team up of evil villains from the history of the franchise and it's fantastic.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So after the recent talk in this thread, I sat down today and watched Timeranger episode 14. Which had a really bizarre and out of place gag where a driving instructor who I swear is being overdubbed starts literally foaming at the mouth. Like, shaving cream foaming at the mouth. This, combined with it not feeling just right lead to me looking up the episode... and yep, it was written by Toshiki Inoue.

Good to see my dodgy Inoue filler detector is still working, haven't used it in a year or two.

EDIT:

Burkion posted:

King of Bikes for the Showa Era is without question Kamen Rider Black. Battle Hopper Best Bike.
Agreed. Road Sector is worst bike for how much time it takes away from the so much cooler Battle Hopper.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Does the RevolGarry count as a bike? Between the three Boilders and the Garry (plus Accel/Trial) there was a lot of bike in Double, even if it was rarely major. Though I guess if we're counting non-bikes, nothing is going to beat Drive.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll admit I have a soft spot for Road Sector because it was Battle Hopper's second best friend and it just tried so hard

It just couldn't match up

EDIT: One day I'll get a Road Sector just to let Shadow Moon drive something.

It'll complete the image. Black is the Century King, wielding the Satan Saber riding Battle Hopper

Shadow Moon gets his second hand lovely Shadow Sabers and the second hand bike.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 24, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of SIC, if I were to start collecting them I'd probably focus on Den-O's part of the line, as it's the series with the most complete representation for Riders as far as I can tell(only New Den-O Vega Form and Teddy's Imagin form* appear to be missing among Riders or main cast Imagins, at least those from the show)

Also cause they're some of the best looking figures in my opinion(and are past the point where SIC figures were super fragile)

*although Teddy does have representation in the line in his Sword form as an accesory for New Den-O

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, my SIC Ichigo, which is again the first one with articulation and MAN it shows, is not fragile.

The ball joints in his legs pop out pretty easy, but he's shockingly really stable at standing up on his own and nothing on him feels breakable. So don't let talk about fragility scare you. So long as you don't manhandle the basically still statues, they should be fine. Though I'm biased in that I adore the designs for all the original Riders, and am super not happy with the newer ones. I'm looking at you, Shin and Super 1. Shin, you look like a shittier version of the suit. Super 1, most of you is fantastic, why are your eyes GIANT ROUND THINGS. You have the coolest eyes, why are they so gigantic and cute what the gently caress

OOOs might have the most complete collection, if you're looking into going line deep for a show. They did all of his pure combo forms, all of his movie exclusive forms, and his regular old Tatoba form. AND they did the hypothetical Ankh powered OOOs form which...one day I'll have to get as my favorite OOOs design, if only because OOO was the first series I followed week to week.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Does the RevolGarry count as a bike? Between the three Boilders and the Garry (plus Accel/Trial) there was a lot of bike in Double, even if it was rarely major. Though I guess if we're counting non-bikes, nothing is going to beat Drive.

The hard boilder is W's bike, Also wizard used his bike in conjunction with Dragon to create a giant foot to rider kick with amd say all the bad you want about that series that poo poo was great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://twitter.com/level1exaid/status/802498642292551680

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Cross posting because, 'eh, I'm rather happy with how the whole write up came out. For context, in the 1963 show Doctor Who, the first ever villains, the Daleks, are basically stand ins for Nazis and Nazi Germany. In the story in question, there is a separate group, the Thals, that are basically the British from before WWII.

The Doctor and his companions urge the Thals to attack the Daleks instead of just leaving them alone, and build them up to fight because the Daleks plan to wipe out the Thals, and because they need something the Daleks have. People were discussing how bad it seemed in retrospect, with the idea of peace and negotiation being treated as naive at best, cowardly at worst.

Thus this-

Burkion posted:

You basically have to have a very different kind of mindset when you look at some of 60s Who.

To tip my toe into the other 60s and 70s TV for kids I enjoy, there are two very notable creators in Japan that are directly comparable here.

Eiji Tsuburaya and Shotaro Ishinomori. Two men who helped shape what modern Japanese pop culture looks like to an insane degree, Tsuburaya more so but that's neither here nor there.

Both of them made work dealing with stuff like the fall out of WWII, and both were very obviously affected by what had happened and how the world changed.

The difference is in terms of how they presented it.

Eiji Tsuburaya is basically the start of practical effects and tokustasu in Japan, period. His two most famous things are Godzilla and Ultraman and that should already let you know exactly how much of an impact this man had. In fact his impact was so great that Ishinomori was directly inspired by the man, more on that below.

Tsuburaya was a special effects master who gave Godzilla life and ultimately started his own sci fi series Ultra Q, which would become Ultraman which would become UltraSeven, that points entirely to how he viewed the world.

He had a very realistic, very measured view of how the world worked and why it was the way it was. No one was truly innocent, and even the best of intentions could have some nasty consequences. UltraSeven in particular tackled some really heavy scifi concepts for the time, including a straight up commentary on the Cuban Missile Crisis, in 1967.

His work often has a heavy note of tragedy to it, where things just go wrong despite the best of intentions. People can be perfectly good people, and still do terrible things without meaning to or realizing it. It's a very nuanced, very shades of grey outlook that gives his series some serious punch when he wants it to. More than once the heroes in UltraSeven are just flat out wrong, and do the wrong things, because no one is ever truly always right. While this crops up the most in UltraSeven, it's also prevalent in Ultraman, Ultra Q, and of course, Godzilla.

Ishinomori is far less complex in that regard. His stories almost always have nebulous evil lurking behind it all, and even when he makes sharp commentary, it's never about people in general. People, as in the whole of humanity, are Good. The heroes are Good.

The villains are Nazis, literally in some cases, and are pure evil.

Ishinomori is the creator of a lot of things as well. Cyborg 009, Kamen Rider, Go Ranger, and is pretty much responsible for kick starting modern Tokusatsu that has not ended yet. He was mentored by the creator of Astroboy and has his roots back to the original manga from Japan.

In Kamen Rider, the main villains are a group of Nazi aligned scientists named Shocker lead by a mysterious Great Leader who has his scientists convert people into cyborgs to better serve his ideals. Many of them are straight up former Nazis, like Colonel Zol, and Kamen Rider has to frequently deal with remnants of the evil of Germany and Imperial Japan.

But it never really gets more nuanced than this. Not that it has to, mind you. The bad guys are bad guys and they're also fascists and Nazis who want to murder a poo poo ton of people and make slaves of the rest.

In the manga for Kamen Rider, it's revealed that Shocker has been controlled by a machine that's realized society is advancing towards becoming more like itself regardless, and is just speeding up the process. Even with the destruction of Shocker, society could always become Shocker on its own. But there's that separation there.

This is because of a fundamental difference between Tsuburaya and Ishinomori, that brings me back to Doctor Who as well.

Ishinomori was a child when WWII happened. He grew up after WWII, after the atrocities were revealed, after the worst of it was, relatively, over.

Tsuburaya was already an adult during WWII, and in fact was doing special effects for propaganda films for Japan during that period.

You can see exactly where the split begins here.

Because here's the thing. Tsuburaya didn't really have much of a choice in his profession during the war, and he also didn't have a choice in what happened AFTER it. When America rolled in, people like him were treated about as well as you can expect people who made propaganda films about the Japanese army destroying Pearl Harbor to be treated.

He was basically black listed from working for years, and had just been brought onto Toho to make reconciliation pictures as a show of good faith and better relations. Ironically one such project would fall through before they could make it, leading to the producer to come up with the idea, instead, to create Godzilla in 1954, not even a decade after the atomic bombings.

The rest is history there.

How this applies to Doctor Who should be extremely obvious. I don't think I have to reach too far to guess at how WWII, and even more so the build up to WWII and its aftermath shaped a lot of people back in the day, especially in Britain. In fact, I would wager that it is a gigantic reason the Doctor is as anti authoritarian as he has always been.

Some of it might even be, as mentioned above, a bit of retroactive self awareness and self loathing. Taken literally, it's Brits from the Future getting pissed off at Brits from the Past for not taking a stand against Germany sooner and putting an end to the whole mess before it began.

It's entirely a fanciful thing, but that's why it's escapist fiction. Read in more modern light, it comes off extremely differently, but...

Well that's why knowing your history is important. Context matters for stuff like this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I'm gonna try to completely binge the gently caress out of Ex-Aid before the finale which is this week I think?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

So I'm gonna try to completely binge the gently caress out of Ex-Aid before the finale which is this week I think?

It is, yes. And you'll have full remembering of the series for the last episode, so that should be neat.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's this week, yeah, with the movie being the post-series epilogue. Build is supposed to start airing September 3.

I'm curious about who's going to subtitle Build :ohdear:. Will Excite keep going, or do I have to subscribe to a third fansub RSS feed?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Excite already said they aren't (but will try to round up the remaining exaid stuff), so we'll just have to wait and see. As always, don't hassle any groups in the meantime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Someone will come along if OT doesn't.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Has RTA said anything

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Over-Time doesn't decide if they're going to sub something until it actually airs usually.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Over-Time doesn't decide if they're going to sub something until it actually airs usually.

Going by what series they skip, it's probably weirdly enough a better sign for me if they do skip it. The two series they skipped were Gaim and Ex-Aid, the ones I enjoyed, and the ones they did were Wizard, Ghost (enough said) and Drive (which I mentioned why I didn't like it recently.) I do appreciate what they do, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I'm probably not gonna get through Ex-Aid fast enough to watch the finale live, but at least Excite takes a few days to sub, which buys me a bit more time.

Also it's kinda hard to take Dan seriously as a threatening Rider when he's decked out in neon pink and green BMX gear all the time. I loving love it.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 25, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

Also it's kinda hard to take Dan seriously as a threatening Rider when he's decked out in neon pink and green BMX gear all the time. I loving love it.

:allears:
You are in for an odyssey of Learning

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have seen several of the designs already, but I am excited to actually see them and not in scans.

Also, I've heard Ex-Aid be compared to Gaim, but I'm glad that Ex-Aid is only focusing on 4/5 Riders as opposed to Gaim's TEN. That's a lot of Riders!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think they are very similar, aside from the eye-searing suits.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm so
EXCITE EXCITE
for Kuroto
EXCITE EXCITE
he's the greatest
ONE
he's got a genius mind
TWO
the talent of a god
THREE
he is the greatest boy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also like that the only real console they can show in the series is the Wonderswan because Bandai made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
ex-aid is way better than gaim imo

(i didn't care for gaim)

• Locked thread