Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zore posted:

Ryugi is a good friend who fights for what he believes in even before you get there which puts him ahead of most of the cast who require your intervention to spur them to acction.

Part of that was the need to maintain social links there or they would reverse.

Also you had to date all the girls and juggle the poo poo out of your schedule if you wanted to max all links.

Oh god dude I'm reading up on a link from P3 I never did, Fortune, and what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

tradechop posted:

Post palace 5 If Sojiro was my dad, things would be different around here.
sojiro is my dad, makoto is my wife and futaba is our daughter

this family does not make sense

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

As cool as she is, I'm glad Hifumi was cut from the final game as a party member. That would have I think pushed things over just enough to being unwieldy.

At the same time, can you imagine Hifumi going all crazy on shadows like she does when she's playing shogi? That's basically magic waiting to happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Oh god dude I'm reading up on a link from P3 I never did, Fortune, and what the gently caress.

That gangly nerd was a walking Final Destination movie, it was hilarious.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh, it actually is a massage

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

spit on my clit posted:

oh, it actually is a massage

Its really weird if you aren't dating b/c she just dresses up in a maid costume again and starts giving you nightly massages while making really suggestive comments about how toned you are and stuff?

I really feel like the massage should not have been the capstone ability.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that they give up almost immediately on justifying the guns

ryuji has to buy fake guns for him and joker but then yusuke just randomly has a counter-strike rear end assault rifle the moment he gets his persona

and where did haru even find a replica grenade launcher

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As I'm looking back on the game I'm coming to think I really underappreciated Madarame's Palace. That was a really cool swag art museum and it didn't have any annoying qualities about it that later dungeons had that I can recall other than forcing you to two-day clear it in the middle. But even then I don't really mind that.

It had some cool chill music too and even though everyone says how gaudy it was I thought it was a pretty museum.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

ryuji has to buy fake guns for him and joker but then yusuke just randomly has a counter-strike rear end assault rifle the moment he gets his persona

The grenade launcher was manifest from Harus carefully hidden desire to see the world burn obviously

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zore posted:

Its really weird if you aren't dating b/c she just dresses up in a maid costume again and starts giving you nightly massages while making really suggestive comments about how toned you are and stuff?

i think dating her in itself is weird.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

If you don't smash your maid teacher you are a confirmed gay

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

It's obviously a model grenade launcher her dad owned.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I liked all the palaces a lot, with the only real exception being the final one. Mementos was always boring and it got even worse once they stripped out the subway aesthetic. Also running around on a giant skeleton over Tokyo sounds cool, but was really underwhelming in practice

5 was probably my favorite overall, but I'm a sucker for Sci-fi stuff and I love the Darth Vader thing Haru's dad has going on

spit on my clit posted:

i think dating her in itself is weird.

It is incredibly weird, agreed.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tradechop posted:

of course i went for her the first moment i could. it was either her or the doctor

the fortune teller however will never feel the touch of a man because she's a piece of poo poo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
ya'll say that but takemi got me ill off that goth juice and im gonna have to increase my guts to get her guts u know

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

Ă¢Â€Â• Corey Dostoyevsky
"Hey, uh guys? My rear end itches."

GOTY

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Moltrey posted:

ya'll say that but takemi got me ill off that goth juice and im gonna have to increase my guts to get her guts u know

Takemi is very good and dating her is also very good.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Sojiro is the dad, Makoto the mom, Sae the aunt, Futaba the little sister, Becky the lawful wife and Takemi the mistress

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Sojiro is the dad, Makoto the mom, Sae the aunt, Futaba the little sister, Becky the lawful wife and Takemi the mistress

what

no. no. bad poster. bad. yusuke is the mom.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Endgame spoilers but more I listen to it more I love the fact the final "dungeon" runup has Life Will Change playing. I liked the song already of course but the lyrics being played completely straight for that moment just blew me out of the water.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Just started palace 6 and what exactly is the motif/symbolism behind goro's outfit? I get the mask = bird = tengu thing but why is he a marching band member with laser weapons?

Sea Sponge Run posted:

P3 only had 3 stats to raise instead of five, right?

I don't think that made the stat to slink to time ratio any better in the end, though

the tradeoff was that P3 stats took forever to level up and you didn't have anything that raised more than one stat

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

Just started palace 6 and what exactly is the motif/symbolism behind goro's outfit? I get the mask = bird = tengu thing but why is he a marching band member with laser weapons?

That is what he views a hero of justice to look like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

The ability to go out again after going to the Metaverse should've been Sojiro's capstone, though unfortunately it'd be plot-locked then. He teaches you the secret to making the best, most delicious, most energizing coffee.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just sent the 7th palace calling card.

Futaba is very powerful

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

With Yoshitsune's teacher being a tengu, tengus sort of have an idea of being honorable and wise. Also his flashy outfit is in sharp contrast to the rest of the casts' more subdued outfits, having zero blacks. Showing that while he may be one of the Phantom Theives, he doesn't quite identify as one being a detective. Also the flashiness is very befitting of a stage actor, showing that he is an extremely public person, constantly on TV these days

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 14, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That is what he views a hero of justice to look like.

Yeah they said that but that doesn't mean anything. Catgirl with zippers everywhere is what ann views a cool rebel to look like, but out of story she also just has a general dominatrix design between her outfit, weapon and persona. Same with makoto being a biker or yusuke being so feudal japan he shits kabuki. Does goro not have some sort of motif like this?

e: about the above post that makes enough sense for me

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

tradechop posted:

Uh maybe I'm just a sub looking for a nice girl I can call Master you jerk.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

So October is basically the worst month in the game. I just saved after going through all of the dialogue from Okumura's deadline to 10/28 and there was about 4 hours of straight nothing: no chance to work on confidants, no chance to go to mementos, just a lot of being tired and going to bed early. I'm trying my hardest to avoid spoilers but I do know that the game still continues through to valentine's day in february? I'd hope so because if it ended in December ala P3 i'd be sour that I just got carted around for a whole month with so little time to work on confidants and fusion left.

I'm really hoping the plot picks up in the way P4's did with the last few dungeons because this is a trudge even with Akechi's new developments

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

tradechop posted:

So October is basically the worst month in the game. I just saved after going through all of the dialogue from Okumura's deadline to 10/28 and there was about 4 hours of straight nothing: no chance to work on confidants, no chance to go to mementos, just a lot of being tired and going to bed early. I'm trying my hardest to avoid spoilers but I do know that the game still continues through to valentine's day in february? I'd hope so because if it ended in December ala P3 i'd be sour that I just got carted around for a whole month with so little time to work on confidants and fusion left.

I'm really hoping the plot picks up in the way P4's did with the last few dungeons because this is a trudge even with Akechi's new developments

If you want spoilers about what day normal play ends, Its December 24th

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Asking again in case people didnt see it

Kurtofan posted:

I'm doing rank 7 for Mishima (Moon), I talked to Mishima, Met his shadow in Mementos

Does Mishima take a long time to contact you again after that? I'd really like to have the experience bonus before starting the third dungeon.

I also wanted to know, is there any bad consequences from waiting to do the palaces? Usually I do them right away but since I'm trying to reach a specific rank up in the moon link I have only 10 days left. Nothing bad will come out of this, right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I also wanted to know, is there any bad consequences from waiting to do the palaces? Usually I do them right away but since I'm trying to reach a specific rank up in the moon link I have only 10 days left. Nothing bad will come out of this, right?

There isn't really a penalty to doing Palaces late, beyond the ones that require you to do them in multiple goes because of cognition blocks like Madarame's.

There's never more than one of those blocks though, so the absolute longest it takes to reach a treasure is two days if you go all out.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Akechi's outfit reminds me of a very specific anime trope I have a hard time defining personally bc I don't really know the language of the genre/medium, but that I've definitely seen. Like something like what Char in Gundam has going on, a very flashy or formal kind of military ensemble, which matches with his using science fiction weapons; he's like an over-the-top shonen anime hero or something, which contrasts Joker's black gentleman thief ensemble and as that guy above points out is obviously playing with the hero/villain relationship between the characters.

I feel like it's definitely as strong or stronger and more appropriate a concept than some of the other Phantom Thief outfits, I just have a hard time articulating why because it feels like it's a reference to a stock character design from another culture.

Does that make sense at all or am I insane

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just maxed out the Tower confidant and the final scene is :unsmith:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

Now that you've said this it's totally what I see too. I suppose I had the same sort of niggling feeling I couldn't really word out.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Saint Freak posted:

Uh maybe I'm just a sub looking for a nice girl I can call Master you jerk.

Fine, if you don't smash Tae or your teacher or Yusuke you're probably gay.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if this game let me, i would be strictly Gorosexual

wizard on a water slide posted:

Akechi's outfit reminds me of a very specific anime trope I have a hard time defining personally bc I don't really know the language of the genre/medium, but that I've definitely seen. Like something like what Char in Gundam has going on, a very flashy or formal kind of military ensemble, which matches with his using science fiction weapons; he's like an over-the-top shonen anime hero or something, which contrasts Joker's black gentleman thief ensemble and as that guy above points out is obviously playing with the hero/villain relationship between the characters.

I feel like it's definitely as strong or stronger and more appropriate a concept than some of the other Phantom Thief outfits, I just have a hard time articulating why because it feels like it's a reference to a stock character design from another culture.

No, I feel you there! Char was definitely one of my first thoughts, as well as Reinhard from Legend of the Galactic Heroes. These flashy heroic looking figures who harbor a bit darker, or more serious intent was def a model for Goro's outfit.

The hero/villain contrast between the two is also really good, but you kind of don't notice it at first. Their appearance gives you an expectation of them that's really more so the opposite, Berserk was like, the first thing I thought of seeing the two together weirdly enough

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Kurtofan posted:

Besides the risk of timing out. Also by not finishing the palace you get much less people willing to hang out as often, most notably your party members

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
7th place boss fight

Oh my god he's turning into senator Armstrong

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Caidin posted:

7th place boss fight

Oh my god he's turning into senator Armstrong

I couldn't decide how I felt about that. On one hand I get it, but on the other it just seems like such a common design that I've seen elsewhere.

Aside from Armstrong, it also reminded me of at least Vayne from FF12, who's a similar "politician who seizes power by being a man of will" thing. By contrast, I thought the shifting mount/pyramid of the masses was a much more creative design. I dug how in the pyramid they were all like kneeling/hunched in deference to the all-seeing eye at the top.

There's some crazy good visual design in this game. It's definitely obvious how much time and care they put into it, which is a nice thing to have happen when a game is in development for a while as opposed to it still coming out as a ramshackle mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Besides the risk of timing out. Also by not finishing the palace you get much less people willing to hang out as often, most notably your party members

Yeah, party members won't hang out with you in the last week before a palace deadline until you clear it.