Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Luck Needed posted:

TNG ends with Q telling picard that there is more out there than exploring the stars

maybe the writers of DS9 didnt know exactly where ever story was going but they set themselves up nicely

I think the prophets and the emissary needed to be more in the story in the early seasons, we do not see the power that The Sisko really has

I always thought that making The Sisko one of the prophets was a bit lazy and the Par Wraith stuff needed more time to build

I watched Sons of Moguh recently because Tony Todd is awesome and saw he has a Voyager credit so I am going to check that out too. The problem with Kurn in DS9 is that the morality of the Federation says assisted suicide is wrong but erasing his mind is fine. That is crazy. Dax and Bashir stop a klingon ritual to save kurns life but later erase his memory. So on the organ donor card where can I check do not erase my memory. The Hippocratic Oath must not be updated for mind rape

That episode is terrible and crazy yeah. Even then they could have saved it by doing a follow up plot where Kurn’s memories come back on their own, or else Worf has to work with this guy who doesn’t realize they used to be brothers, or something. But no, nobody ever heard of him again. Lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Work also kinda forgets about this specific grudge he should have with Gowron.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Due to a mistake Bashir replaced Kurn's memories with those of the freshly dead Vedek Bariel

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Due to a mistake Bashir replaced Kurn's memories with those of the freshly dead Vedek Bariel

Truly a fate worse than death

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skasion posted:

Truly a fate worse than death

He got to remember having a relationship with Kira though

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Before: “I don’t remember anything!”
After: “I don’t remember anything! Also I’m really bored?”

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
anyone ever notice the last several episodes of TNG are about father relationships?

Firstborn about Worf and his son

Bloodlines about Picard and his "son"

Emergence about the Enterprise giving birth to a life form and at the end picard states he does not know what will become of what they created, like a child

Preemptive Strike, Ro returns and betrays Picard like a child rebelling

then in the finale the paradox is only created because Q allows Picard time time shift thus allowing Picard to do a science thing and bring the paradox into being, like Picard and Q had a paradox child

Picard and Q did bang in Tapestry

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've noticed Season 7 is big on parents in general; aside from the ones you mentioned, Sub Rosa has Bev's grandma, there's that one episode with Data's mom-droid, the one where Geordi's mom goes missing. Wesley's last episode is also a big parental friction episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, woah, hold on:

No Luck Needed posted:

Preemptive Strike, Ro returns and betrays Picard like a child rebelling

Picard hosed up big-time in this episode. She came to him to tell him she had serious doubts about her ability to complete the mission, and he loving goes off on her and uses threats to try and get her to comply. He should have pulled her from the mission.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Doesn't Nurse Ogawa have a miscarriage in AGT as well?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Preemptive Strike is fun because it’s like a month after Picard unethically dispatched another female Bajoran junior officer with disciplinary issues on a risky mission and she didn’t come home. Slow learner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If the prophets wanted them to live they'd be working with Sisko instead of his archnemesis

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've noticed Season 7 is big on parents in general; aside from the ones you mentioned, Sub Rosa has Bev's grandma, there's that one episode with Data's mom-droid, the one where Geordi's mom goes missing. Wesley's last episode is also a big parental friction episode.

Isn’t there a quote in the 50 Year Mission book about how the TNG writing staff knew they were done when they realized they were writing episodes about family members the viewers wouldn’t care about?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

Preemptive Strike is fun because it’s like a month after Picard unethically dispatched another female Bajoran junior officer with disciplinary issues on a risky mission and she didn’t come home. Slow learner
Look the thing most people don’t know about Bajorans is that they are extremely expendable

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want Lower Decks to do an extremely grim and straight-played flashback to Shaxs’s time in the Bajoran Milita and the Cardassian occupation, only for it to smash cut to wacky hijinx and have it never be mentioned again.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look the thing most people don’t know about Bajorans is that they are extremely expendable

Workshopping the opening sentence to Dukat's autobiography?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The more Bajorans which were expended, the more new Bajorans I was able to make friends with.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cat Hatter posted:

Workshopping the opening sentence to Dukat's autobiography?

The Bajorans. A proud people with an unbroken chain of civilization stretching back for thousands of years. One might ask, what was the driver that enabled such a stable society for so long? Unlike we Cardassians, it was not a strong society built on the rock steady foundation of order and justice, but on the certainty that one knew one's exact position and role in society. With their caste system, they groomed themselves for the moment that the right leader would chance upon them and fulfill their innate desire to submit and serve their leader that they knew, at their deepest, was their unquestionable superior. It is with this in mind, noble reader, that you can only begin to understand the burden I would carry during my time as their master.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ATTENTION BAJORAN READERS

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I remember watching First Contact in theaters and eye-rolling hard when RIker said that the Defiant was "adrift but salvageable"

this is like during the first part of season 5 of DS9, too bad the defiant wasnt like the runabouts or the endless voyager shuttles; would almost be humorous if Sisko keep renaming the new ships sent to him as Defiant, this would allow the ship to be destroyed more in stories

and about the Picard strong-arming Ro Laren, it is just the writing for the episode and that is common in television for characters to do things to fit scripts instead of how of a normal person would do things

I would have enjoyed to see if Ro Laren and Thomas Riker with the Maquis survived the Dominion/Cardassian badlands mass assault

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Tunicate posted:

If the prophets wanted them to live they'd be working with Sisko instead of his archnemesis
I low-key appreciate that Picard didn't show up again after the pilot, so he's just left thinking Sisko still hates him and is telling the Prophets what an rear end in a top hat he is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No Luck Needed posted:

I remember watching First Contact in theaters and eye-rolling hard when RIker said that the Defiant was "adrift but salvageable"
It's been discussed before, but the DS9 producers were originally told that the Defiant was going to be destroyed in FC, and when they found out they demanded that be changed which is why they put that line in. Which in retrospect is funny because I think the events of FC only get one line of dialogue in all of DS9.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Buckaroo Banzai wasn't a good movie, but it had some cool ideas. Buckaroo's whole thing (jamming with his band after doing brain surgery, the whole support network concept) was pretty cool, and the credits scene where everyone's walking down the flood drain is a really cool moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpVXpCNFOSg

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

We got “Little?” out of the Defiant in First Contact so I consider that a plus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kibayasu posted:

We got “Little?” out of the Defiant in First Contact so I consider that a plus.

Also Helmsman Adam Scott, “It’s the Enterprise!”, and “Prepare for RAMMING SPEED!”

If I’m honest, I think that whole sequence is my favorite Worf thing in the whole franchise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

No Luck Needed posted:

this is like during the first part of season 5 of DS9, too bad the defiant wasnt like the runabouts or the endless voyager shuttles; would almost be humorous if Sisko keep renaming the new ships sent to him as Defiant, this would allow the ship to be destroyed more in stories

Or blow it up whenever it's convenient for the story, and then the next week it's just there again, no explanation. (They could have beaten Kenny from South Park to the punch by like three years.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TOS- The Lights of Zetar- This episode gets low ratings but I don't think it's that bad. Maybe a mid-level Season 3 TOS episode. I think the main issue for me is that the Scotty/Mira elements come off as very misogynistic. Throughout the episode he kind of just blows off her concerns and writes off her feelings as 'space sickness' or whatever since they establish at the beginning that this is her first deep-space assignment. In reading about the production of this episode I discovered that it was co-written by children's entertainer Shari Lewis and her husband. That and Lewis is the one who wrote in the Scotty/Mira romance parts. Which I think are the weakest part of the episode. She wanted to give someone else besides Kirk a romance plot, which is fine, but it isn't well executed. Kind of like with a few other episodes of this season, they don't fully explain what is going on until the very end, so we don't get to learn much about the Zetarans' deal, other than that their planet was wiped out by some catastrophe and what is left is some essence of 100 of them. Kirk also very quickly decides to take them out when it appears like they won't cooperate, which I think is more of an episode time constraint but it is a very quick decision. Ron Moore apparently thinks that this episode is worse than Spock's Brain and I really don't understand how you could think that. It's more bland than bad, to be honest.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Starting The Voyage Home. drat, Nimoy gets four credits up top. A Leonard Nimoy film, as Spock, story by, and directed by.

Where do I get McCoy’s jacket

Huh, so time travel at this point is easy as “we’re in an unfamiliar Klingon ship, but we got this” and then they just DO it

WOW this is a way different movie than the others. This is like a goofy 80s comedy. Feels more like a movie made by the Three Men and a Baby guy than TSFS

When they transport out of the hospital, why do they land outside the ship? Just to leave the mom from 7th Heaven there?

Overall, fun movie! Liked it more than III but still not that much. And I am very discouraged by the fact that this is one of the even and therefore “good” ones. Hope I like VI more because so far it’s been a real downhill slide since WOK. Not at all looking forward to the TNG ones either.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 29, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Unmature posted:

Starting The Voyage Home. drat, Nimoy gets four credits up top. A Leonard Nimoy film, as Spock, story by, and directed by.

Where do I get McCoy’s jacket

Huh, so time travel at this point is easy as “we’re in an unfamiliar Klingon ship, but we got this” and then they just DO it

WOW this is a way different movie than the others. This is like a goofy 80s comedy. Feels more like a movie made by the Three Men and a Baby guy than TSFS

When they transport out of the hospital, why do they land outside the ship? Just to leave the mom from 7th Heaven there?

Overall, fun movie! Liked it more than III but still not that much. And I am very discouraged by the fact that this is one of the even and therefore “good” ones. Hope I like VI more because so far it’s been a real downhill slide since WOK. Not at all looking forward to the TNG ones either.

Kirk free climbing El Cap, Spock learns colorful metaphors and does too much LDS in the 60s, Scotty works a mouse, and the neck pinch to the obnoxious punk with the boombox. It was gloriously stupid and very much of its time

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Kirk free climbing El Cap, Spock learns colorful metaphors and does too much LDS in the 60s, Scotty works a mouse, and the neck pinch to the obnoxious punk with the boombox. It was gloriously stupid and very much of its time

Scotty and Bones were the best part

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I hate to be That Guy, but Kirk free climbs El Capitan in ST5, not 4

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hate to be That Guy, but Kirk free climbs El Capitan in ST5, not 4

shhhh. We don't equate that scene with the rest of the garbage that was ST5

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Not going to lie though, it took me a few beats to remember that Sarah Silverman wasn't in ST4.

My brain is turning into cottage cheese

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
ST5 owns, gently caress the haters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's bad, sorry.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

ST5 is absolutely worth watching.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
5 Good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not good but it has its moments, and let's be serious we've all watched all of 'em more than once.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's not good but it has its moments, and let's be serious we've all watched all of 'em more than once.

Except Nemesis, the one I never went back to.

I don't even remember hating it in theatres when I was 11 or whatever, I just have no desire to see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ST5 is a collection of amazing scenes.