Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Sankis posted:

Oh, that sucks. Maybe If I play again I'll just host a game for people I know or something.

I think you just got griefed by a grief that already happened. The server is still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Mystic Mongol posted:

But no one can catch you! They didn't mug the janitor.

This line cracked me up. If SS13 wasn't so difficult to get into, I would be right on that poo poo.

QwertySanchez posted:

Something Awful Forums: Goon 1 posts poo poo, Goons 2-7 poo poo post.
You win I guess?

General Ignorance
Aug 3, 2010
Ah, reading this thread just reminded me of something I used to do in Gmod.

What I would do is make a neat contraption that most pubbies would like to play with. Say a giant catapult. I'd make a show of putting something in the catapult, heading over to my button on the wall, and launching it much to the joy of the inevitable 12 year old mingebags watching on with glee.

So after one plucky individual decides to have his turn, he loads the catapult, heads over to the button... Only for his head to jerk around, and then start running in random directions whilst yelling obscenities.

For those not in the know, items such as thrusters are bound to a numpad key on your keyboard, and buttons essentially emulate pressing a numpad key of your choice. So if I set the thrusters to 6, and the button to 6, anyone could press a button and use the thrusters.

But I didn't set the button to 6. I set it to 4.

4 was connected to a camera. Pointing to a goatse reenactment involving Father Grigori, a headcrab and Gman's disembodied, yet creepily smiling head protruding from the "orifice".

This meant the player's screen was stuck with this image. And because he didn't know what the gently caress, he moved. He could not see anything other than Grigoritse, had no idea how to get rid of it, and he had moved away from the only thing that could have rid him from this nightmare.

Sometimes I was nice enough to tell them to look down, and I place a button by their feet, ending their goatseian torment.

Sometimes.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I remember Aliens vs. Predator 2 being really, really fun to grief in multi. I used to join games as a corporate sniper with the name TheLegHunter. I would run around the map trying to no-scope every predator player in the knees, causing their leg to be blown off as they died. Every time I got one I would type things like "GIVE ME YOUR LEG" or "ANOTHER BOOT FOR MY CLOSET" in chat; for some reason this would drive Predator players into a blind, frothing rage. Eventually I would have groups of 3-4 predators gunning for me the rest of the match.

In one match, the alien players took advantage of the distraction and started hanging out near me and leaving me alone. Their legs were very tiny and hard to hit, so I ignored them. The Predator players would all turn to their thermal vision in order to lock onto me with their weapons, which made the alien players almost invisible. They would immediately pounce the Predators, who were left blind and stunned, and headbite them for an instant kill. Eventually the ground was littered with severed Predator legs and heads.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Slime posted:

gently caress, I'm fairly experienced and I seem to spend most of my time launching myself out of the mass driver, or loving up with the hand-tele and ending up stranded in space.

The last time I played I wanted to see what capsaicin did when sprayed in the face pepper-spray style. Ended up just bashing myself in the head with a fire extinguisher until loosing consciousness.

Even without wandering outside of Botany I still have a pretty high chance of killing myself. :suicide:

I managed to die in the airlock hallway between the shuttle and station that round.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wild T posted:

I remember Aliens vs. Predator 2 being really, really fun to grief in multi. I used to join games as a corporate sniper with the name TheLegHunter. I would run around the map trying to no-scope every predator player in the knees, causing their leg to be blown off as they died. Every time I got one I would type things like "GIVE ME YOUR LEG" or "ANOTHER BOOT FOR MY CLOSET" in chat; for some reason this would drive Predator players into a blind, frothing rage. Eventually I would have groups of 3-4 predators gunning for me the rest of the match.

In one match, the alien players took advantage of the distraction and started hanging out near me and leaving me alone. Their legs were very tiny and hard to hit, so I ignored them. The Predator players would all turn to their thermal vision in order to lock onto me with their weapons, which made the alien players almost invisible. They would immediately pounce the Predators, who were left blind and stunned, and headbite them for an instant kill. Eventually the ground was littered with severed Predator legs and heads.

That gun was so unbalanced that it was funny at times. Most people who picked human would run around with that gun. One shot kill, shots always went to middle of screen, it was a rail gun.

The extent to my griefing was in AvP 1. I would go to coop levels like stranded which didn't have a medkit til the end of the map and then set my teammates on fire. You couldn't put it out unless you touched a medkit, and when you died, the game told you that you committed suicide. Plus it was annoying to have a wall of flame on your screen obscuring your view. Also, Stranded started out above a steep hill and if you harmed your teammate enough, they would walk off the hill and kill themselves. I wish people still played that game online.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

QwertySanchez posted:

:words:

Just stop, you didn't grief anybody. I cause grief more during normal play. Then again, my normal play generally consists of launching myself across the map with sticky jumper grenades and smashing the enemy medic over the head with a frying pan while my Christmas-tree hat vibrates menacingly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Bottleguy.jpg still works wonders. Within seconds of spraying that I had two people staring at it, and bitching hard about it over the mics. THIS IS FUCKIN SICK and WHOEVER SPRAYED THIS KNOCK IT OFF

What's fun to do is get your team worked up over a spray by just randomly spraying it in different places. Get their suspicion up as to who's doing it. Then when the admin starts demanding to know who is spraying it, threatening with a ban, etc, you wait until the next round starts. When every one is planted in place for those few seconds of setup. Look at someone next to you and spray it under his feet. Everyone, and most importantly, the admin, thinks this other dude sprayed goatse/whatever and immediately bans him.

Wait for another round to go by and let the admin smugly think he got the right person, then spray it at someone's feet during setup again. The rage after doing this a couple times is glorious.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Do they not have a plugin that shows who sprayed crap? I know on my TF2 server, I can just point my crosshair at the spray, and it will show who sprayed it and I can use my admin to ban the proper player even if he changes his name. Of course, it sometimes fucks up when there are multiple sprays stacked on each other, so you could get a different guy kicked.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Zaldron posted:

Do they not have a plugin that shows who sprayed crap? I know on my TF2 server, I can just point my crosshair at the spray, and it will show who sprayed it and I can use my admin to ban the proper player even if he changes his name. Of course, it sometimes fucks up when there are multiple sprays stacked on each other, so you could get a different guy kicked.

I'm pretty sure that is a plugin, so most servers won't have it. I assume most of this griefing is done on random pub servers that probably use the vanilla presets.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Space Station 13: Sometimes you even have to grief yourself

5 seconds into the game I realize everything is loving nuts, people dead everywhere, medbay was bombed, I'm getting bored.

I stroll over to the cafeteria with my see food diet and start eating everyone' ice cream.

It's poo flavored and people start laughing at me :(

I decide to get back at them by making GBS threads in the hallways where the escape shuttle arrives so they would slip on it and either fly into space or unconsciousness.

I head to the hallways and place my turd and notice that I was out of breath and really cold so i start panicking and slipped in my own filth and suffocated to death.

TL;DR version: I wanted to make people slip on my poo poo so they could suffocate in space and it ended up happening to me. My name that round was Poo Braun too.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

blackguy32 posted:

That gun was so unbalanced that it was funny at times. Most people who picked human would run around with that gun. One shot kill, shots always went to middle of screen, it was a rail gun.

The extent to my griefing was in AvP 1. I would go to coop levels like stranded which didn't have a medkit til the end of the map and then set my teammates on fire. You couldn't put it out unless you touched a medkit, and when you died, the game told you that you committed suicide. Plus it was annoying to have a wall of flame on your screen obscuring your view. Also, Stranded started out above a steep hill and if you harmed your teammate enough, they would walk off the hill and kill themselves. I wish people still played that game online.

I found a 'role play' server in AvP1 that was hilarious. It basically amounted to a bunch of guys with Predators milling about in one room bragging about THE HUNT and MY HONOR. I'm pretty sure the players all masturbated furiously to the AvP comics, given their obsession with Hard Meat. No one ever picked seemed to choose another race, so it ended up being just a bunch of guys talking forever.

I joined it once when there were two other players, both Pred of course. I make a Pred and just stand in their face spamming the taunt. Whenever the guys tried to talk to me with all of that "greetings yautja we blood hunt the hard meat for honor blah blah" I would just spam things like "Click clack ROAAAAR gurgle clack."

Eventually they would get pissed enough to drop character and type things like "WildT speak english this is a roleplay server." The only proper response was, of course, to mangle everything they said and repeat it back to them like the Predator. "Speeeeaaak. Eeennnnnglish. Rooowwwwlply sraaaavoooor" continued by moar taunting.

God drat I wish that game had included the nuclear bomb self-destruct for times like that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wild T posted:

I found a 'role play' server in AvP1 that was hilarious. It basically amounted to a bunch of guys with Predators milling about in one room bragging about THE HUNT and MY HONOR. I'm pretty sure the players all masturbated furiously to the AvP comics, given their obsession with Hard Meat. No one ever picked seemed to choose another race, so it ended up being just a bunch of guys talking forever.

I joined it once when there were two other players, both Pred of course. I make a Pred and just stand in their face spamming the taunt. Whenever the guys tried to talk to me with all of that "greetings yautja we blood hunt the hard meat for honor blah blah" I would just spam things like "Click clack ROAAAAR gurgle clack."

Eventually they would get pissed enough to drop character and type things like "WildT speak english this is a roleplay server." The only proper response was, of course, to mangle everything they said and repeat it back to them like the Predator. "Speeeeaaak. Eeennnnnglish. Rooowwwwlply sraaaavoooor" continued by moar taunting.

God drat I wish that game had included the nuclear bomb self-destruct for times like that.

Playing the game legit was sometimes a grief. Marines were so underpowered in the original that it was sad. Using the disc lead to people whining. Also spamming the plasma pistol did the same thing. Oh yeah, people got unbelievably angry in AvP 2 when Alien Lifecycle was turned on and then you camped their body when they inevitably bursted out of someone's chest. Of course I am going to get a free kill out of you. That is why Alien Lifecycle was a lovely mode to have on.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dizz posted:

5 seconds into the game I realize everything is loving nuts, people dead everywhere, medbay was bombed, I'm getting bored.

One of those is waaaaay more dangerous than the others.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Dizz posted:

My name that round was Poo Braun too.

Should've named yourself Von Brown :v:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

OrangeSoda posted:

Should've named yourself Von Brown :v:

I have my name randomly generated each game. It always manages to add 'poo' in it though :allears:

Mystic Mongol posted:

One of those is waaaaay more dangerous than the others.

In the beginning all I wanted to do was mine for poo poo and try to find some abandoned place in space. I only got bored because the session was ending and nothing was happening. just a bunch of people holding dicks while they wait for the escape

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

floor is lava posted:

Requesting more UO and MUD stories. The creativity in those stories make this thread for me.

I have not been in this thread since the beginning, so this may have been posted before, or in another iteration of the thread. It's also not a firsthand story, although I was online when it happened and experienced the fallout (pun intended). Anyway, here you go, enjoy.

In HellMOO, there is a quest which involves launching a nuclear missile at Maas Neotek, a city in the game. When the quest is completed, the entire server receives a series of messages explaining (in character) that they just saw a nuke hit nearby. When the nuke hits, that city and everything in it is destroyed, and then the area is covered with deadly radiation for several in-game days. The nuke was coded to possibly facilitate future implementation of similar blasts, so the way it worked was that it would start in a room, find every exit in the room, and carry out its effects in the room before spawning another identical event in the rooms past the exits it found. It had a flag on it that said "don't go past these exits," where those exits were the gates into/out of the city it was being dropped on.

HellMOO also has portal guns, pulled from the game Portal, which work by creating an exit where you fire them which connects to another exit in a location where you fire it a second time. I think you probably see where this is going by now.

A group of enterprising young men and women split into two groups - one placed a portal in Maas Neotek leading to Freedom City (the game's major player-magnet city, starting town, and general "safe area"), while the other went through the steps to complete the nuke-launching quest. The admins picked up on what was going on and started to panic a bit. However, rather than do the obvious and shut off something involved in the process, they just started telling people to get the gently caress out of Freedom City, and/or to hide in their apartments (the doors of which would also stop the blast). People didn't listen.

When the messages started firing off, nobody though anything of it. Everyone was so used to seeing the nukes fly by that nobody paid any attention. However, at the time, portal guns were somewhat hard to come by (they were a craft-only item which many people didn't have access to schematics and parts for, or the skill to build), so a small crowd was gathering at the site of the portal to Maas, wondering what was up. Several people thought the portal was part of some kind of server event, based on the fact that the admins were shouting as well.

Finally, the nuke hit. Predictably, the explosion passed through the portal just as it would any other exit. The message everyone received about a mushroom cloud in the distance came only seconds before everyone in the city died almost instantly and with no warning. A few managed to survive the blast, but died shortly after due to radiation. Worse, the blast continued to wash over the entirety of the game map, only a few areas being spared due to quirkiness with exits.

The chat network exploded with confused and angry people, and things just got worse as people recloned into Freedom City, still filled with deadly radiation, and simply died again shortly thereafter. The radiation lasted several realtime hours, during which somewhere near 90% of the game's population was either confined to their one-room apartments or unable to respawn safely.

Of course, the exploit was soon fixed so that the act could not be repeated, but not before the event became a legend in the game. Eventually, the admins responded with NPCs telling people to "never forget 8/20" (the in-game date of the blast), memorial statues being erected, and so on. Those responsible got a special achievement award for their efforts.

Ironically enough, by the time I had quit HellMOO, only a small handful of non-admin players actually remembered the events of 8/20, and it had largely been forgotten.

e: I have lots of other stories from HellMOO if people are interested.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 5, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Boredom in SS13 is a powerful thing. Today, I spawned as an assistant about 7 minutes into a round. I find the arrival doors powered down, but the crowbar is still there. I grab it and pry my way out. I notice the Head of Personnel standing at the Security Checkpoint nearby, and I assume he's AFK since it's powered down too, but he's just standing there. I pry that door open, too, and I take his ID card(which he's upgraded to Captain) off. As it turns out, he's not AFK, but he doesn't react fast enough to stop me from taking his card, so I grab it and he starts chasing after me. I crowbar the doors to the escape arm shut behind me, so he has to go find his own crowbar.

He announces that I've taken his card over the radio, and I head for the Bridge. Finding it empty, I decide to transfer the entire station's budget into my own bank account and then go check the Captain's office to see if he left anything I might want. I grab his extra set of armour and sunglasses, as well as his extra jumpsuit, and put them on. As I do this, the Captain and the Detective both walk into the bridge and spot me. The Captain runs up and, for whatever reason, tries to stun me with a flash instead of his energy gun. I'm wearing sunglasses, so it doesn't do a drat thing. He and the Detective are wearing Thermal Goggles, so I disarm him and then flash them both and leave the bridge.

I head to the Courtroom and decide to use the HoP's ID card to change mine to have all-access. Well, unfortunately for me, the AI has been tracking me, and shuts off the power with the ID inside, keeping me from getting it back. What's more, a mining charge blows up in Security and destroys the computer shortly afterwards, and the ID along with it. So, I'm stuck behind the desk in the Courtroom with no ID, and I've also been grazed by a bomb, which knocked me to the ground. And then the Captain comes in. Well, normally I'd be screwed in that situation, but this Captain managed to salvage defeat from the jaws of certain victory. He comes through the door, walks next to me(still on the ground) and instead of stunning me, pulls out his handcuffs. And then spends a good 20 seconds screwing around rearranging his inventory before he starts putting them on me. By this time, I've recovered. And, wouldn't you know it, he's still got thermals on instead of his sunglasses. So, of course, I flash him, then put his own cuffs on him and take his ID, as well as a pair of insulated gloves and those thermals of his. I leaved him cuffed and locked in the back section of the courtroom, and flash the Detective on the way out before crowbaring into Sec and helping myself to the Security Implant and a set of equipment from the Security lockers.

The Detective managed to wing me with his revolver before I took him down, so I decide to head to the Bridge and grab the medkit there. On the way over, a labcoat-wearing person who I believe was the Head Surgeon comes at me with a stun baton (the Captain is screaming about me over the radio at this point, although the AI seems to have decided that he isn't worth helping and has stopped trying to stop me) and I shoot her with my new taser gun. I heal myself and head back to Sec, where I find the Detective's naked corpse. I'm wondering who killed him when suddenly the round ends. Revolutionary Victory. As it turns out, it's pretty easy when 2 heads have been stripped of their IDs and left trapped in small rooms and a third has been left stunned in a hallway.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Funkmaster General posted:

Those responsible got a special achievement award for their efforts.
I love this kind of ending to creative griefs. Roll with the punches and reward those involved for their clever thinking.

quote:

Go for it!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

:words:

Yes please.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Please post more HellMoo stuff. I was talking to a friend last night, and I said to her how sad I was that you can't really pull this stuff off in most big name MMOs, except EVE.

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011
I remember 8/20 (NEVER FORGET), I was all running around in a radsuit trying to bilk the lethally-irradiated less fortunate into letting me treat them for a modest sum. Somehow they weren't interested in being repeat customers when their hair started falling out again, hello ambient radiation. Wish I could remember some half-decent stories that aren't already in the thread, haven't played in forever. I mostly played back-up for whatever shenanigans went on, probably the meanest thing I ever did was break into a guys luxury yacht and fix all his furniture after he jettisoned me out of my own plane at 5km and cut my head off. That showed him.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly if you want to tell hellmoo stories just start pasting comedy posts.

quote:

3027 on *comedy (#1903) // Mon May 23 19:56:01 2011 PDT
tannhauser vs. seebach // From: Charlatan
// +26/ 0 votes

Tannhauser randomly kills seebach when he's idling off cams. seebach strikes
up a dialogue, during which The Haus simply copy/pastes the same phrase
over and over again every few minutes. It continues for entirely too long:

http://pastebin.com/mYKPxw9R

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
That is the most rage I have ever seen in a text game

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

JoeCool posted:

That is the most rage I have ever seen in a text game

Then you must not have ever played HellMOO.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

It had a flag on it that said "don't go past these exits," where those exits were the gates into/out of the city it was being dropped on.

HellMOO also has portal guns,
Here is where i started laughing and i couldn't stop until the end of the story. The admin reactions are pretty hilarious too.

HellMoo sounds like absolutele madness. Can't wait to hear more!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just remembered another amusing, if largely unintentional, SS13 'grief.'

Don't accept drinks from The Devil

I played a few rounds as a Bartender named The Devil, with a huge black beard and glowing red eyes. I would start the round by taking several pills of Kelotane (a drug that cures burn damage over time), drinking a bunch of welding fuel, returning to the bar, and setting myself on fire. This produced a large but short-lived cloud of flame around me, giving most of the bar an ominously scorched appearance, and it allowed me keep burning for an extremely long period of time.

Because of the Kelotane in my system, the fire wouldn't actually hurt me; I could just stand around, blazing like a loving bonfire, chatting amiably with people as they tried to decide whether to order drinks or run for a fire extinguisher. So, when a crewmember walked into the bar, he would discover a charred hellhole staffed by a flame-wreathed, red-eyed man named The Devil. A surprising number of people decided to order drinks anyway.

Now, I figure The Devil knows how to throw a loving party. He doesn't just chuck a case of beer on the counter and call it quits, right? So whenever someone ordered a drink, I would mix together some hard liquor (usually vodka and rum), spritz in some welding fuel, and use a syringe to transfer some of my own blood to the glass, creating an unholy devilblood cocktail. Occasionally I would poo and pee in the glass as well, adding Jenkem to the list of Terrible Things Nobody Should Drink that were in the concoction.

Despite the fact that I did all of this gross poo poo in plain sight, just about everybody would take the drat thing and drink it anyway. Contrary to common sense, drinking that horrible sludge didn't really have any major negative effects, aside from moderate drunkenness and perhaps a mild Jenkem addiction. What's significant is that the welding fuel would remain in the imbiber's system for a while - and, party animal that he was, The Devil didn't skimp on the welding fuel.

Most rounds, this all amounted to nothing more than an overeager assistant spraying me with an extinguisher, putting out my hellfire, and incurring the wrath of Satan. But on one fateful round, the Botanist left a shitload of weed in the bar for everyone to enjoy. Paper was found, joints were rolled, someone produced an igniter, and then it was time to spark up.

The bar turned into a loving inferno. Some of the crew stopped, dropped, and rolled like sensible people, while others tried to flee in a drunken fiery panic, which was hilarious to watch because the really drunk ones had scrambled controls and would stagger around in random directions while screaming "Ooooohhhh ggggoooodddd!!" Throughout all of this, The Devil stood at his bar, unharmed by the omnipresent cloud of fire, and laughed uproariously while mainlining vodka.

I don't think anybody died, but some people probably came close. Things just got funnier later on, as Engineering failed to do its job and the station's power went out of whack. Power surges caused lights to explode, and the drinkers who'd left before the fire got hit by the sparks, had the fuel still in their bodies ignite, and promptly immolated their surroundings while screaming in uncomprehending terror. It was Hell on Earth. It was also, to be honest, completely hysterical.

I don't do that anymore, partly because it's kind of a dick move, partly because it gets old fast, and partly because an admin got pretty annoyed with me (but he was cool enough to settle for my promise not to do it anymore). Even so, though, I'll be damned if it wasn't some of the funniest poo poo I'd ever seen.

Hands down the best post in this thread.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
The other fun thing to do with welding fuel was to find the someone clown, beat him up and handcuff him, and then forcefeed him welding fuel and food until he was fat. When someone is fat and they run a lot it actually raises their body temperature, so the victim, when released, would immediately start sprinting off until they self-combusted.

Other fun barman shenanigans include getting metal and tools and restructuring the ships main corridor to detour through the bar, it was the logical extension of marketing techniques. That one took a bit of work to stop assholes with welding torches attempting to break down the walls.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It absolutely boggles my mind how open and dynamic SS13 is. I wish I had the skills to write something like that in, say, the Source engine, but I can't even imagine how difficult that'd be. :psyduck:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

OrangeSoda posted:

I think you just got griefed by a grief that already happened. The server is still around.

It was more that I thought whatever that was looked stupid as hell and didn't want to be a part of it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Code Jockey posted:

It absolutely boggles my mind how open and dynamic SS13 is. I wish I had the skills to write something like that in, say, the Source engine, but I can't even imagine how difficult that'd be. :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that couldn't be done: the level geometry isn't dynamic or some :techno: like that. But all is not lost! All you need to do is found your own studio and get funding to make a custom 3d engine to support complex and emergent gamplayahahahah

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm pretty sure that couldn't be done: the level geometry isn't dynamic or some :techno: like that. But all is not lost! All you need to do is found your own studio and get funding to make a custom 3d engine to support complex and emergent gamplayahahahah

Perhaps you scrubs could run my glorious engine if you were to just upgrade your PCs, eh? :smug:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Code Jockey posted:

SS13 is super-rocking awesome, but its worth pointing out that for every story where something insane/amazing happens, there are two rounds that just sort of dribble along for 40 minutes and are intensely boring for most people.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

1stGear posted:

SS13 is super-rocking awesome, but its worth pointing out that for every story where something insane/amazing happens, there are two rounds that just sort of dribble along for 40 minutes and are intensely boring for most people.

Not to mention you'll most likely just run around as an assistant for a few weeks before you actually know enough to do anything fun

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The SS13 thread in the Private Game Servers subforum is helpful for learning how to do poo poo, I learned chemist, scientist (both bomb types), engineer (old firestorm engine), and atmos tech from it. Even then, spending time as assistant is good.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

QwertySanchez posted:

Well they can't all be winners I guess. Should I delete it or keep it up as an example for future good posters on how not to do it?

You could edit it and make it understandable. Think of it as homework.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

1stGear posted:

I think the real problem is, as someone said, everyone wants to be "that guy". Take a look at all the stories in this thread. Does anyone, spurred on to try the game by these tales, want to just go in and play a normal and responsible crew member, hoping to witness (and attempt to stop) some wacky hijinx? Or do they want to rush in and do something crazy and stupid and destructive as well, whether or not they're the designated traitor for that round?

The traitor flag might as well not exist for how much every single person wants to be the crazy murderer / bomber / deadly janitor / pooping clown / whatever. The whole cut-up/straight-man routine worked well because there was a foil for the insanity. When everyone's just running around, all the time, being insane and destructive, any semblance of coherency is usually lost.
But I mean, honestly, who would want to go and play that just to fill the role they were given responsibly and not get up to any trouble?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Vib Rib posted:

But I mean, honestly, who would want to go and play that just to fill the role they were given responsibly and not get up to any trouble?

...Me?

I just like to help people. v:shobon:v

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

GetWellGamers posted:

...Me?

I just like to help people. v:shobon:v

Ditto :hfive: I like to think I make a dandy Roboticist. I just want a steady stream of metal, pharosium, and victims volunteers to make my metal children with :shobon: Give me that and I'll churn out a steady stream of cyborgs to harass people as is their wont.
"Bleeding is harmful to humans. Please stop."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even when I was traitor, I was only slightly less kind, helpful, and crewmemberish than normal. Probably my best personal griefing story is where I, as a wizard, performed the duties of the crew position I had been assigned, quietly used my utility spells to obtain my goal (A theft of some sort), and caused intense rage by putting on my robe and wizard hat and beating up everyone on the escape shuttle after it had left the station. It wasn't exciting or even very clever, but if you judge strictly by the anguished chatter, stealth wizard is the best grief ever.

• Locked thread