Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
you only ever want to turn down fleet maintenance these days if you don't have any light ships, since lowered fleet maintenance cripples their trade power.

instead, you want to mothball your combat ships and transports when you're confident it'll be a while before the next time they're needed. (it's often wise mothball them inside a fort province, so that they're less likely to get kicked out into the open sea by a province occupation & crushed.)

they should really remove fleet maintenance entirely, but mothballing requires an expansion (art of war), so... they should really just make eu5 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

you only ever want to turn down fleet maintenance these days if you don't have any light ships, since lowered fleet maintenance cripples their trade power.

instead, you want to mothball your combat ships and transports when you're confident it'll be a while before the next time they're needed. (it's often wise mothball them inside a fort province, so that they're less likely to get kicked out into the open sea by a province occupation & crushed.)

they should really remove fleet maintenance entirely, but mothballing requires an expansion (art of war), so... they should really just make eu5 already.

This is why I don't like the Paradox DLC model... They end up with half-measures like mothballing that cant be replaced or removed because people might want their money back or something.

Probably the worst part about this is how all the Paradox developers on the forums pretend like its not a problem and the DLC is so amazing that it would never need a rework

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I've mothballed my fort, actually I just realized from that post that I captured one in Tyrone. I'm sticking to my guns there as I just cored that province and am in position to easily take the last sector of Tyrone land shortly. I also have the green guys in the south as pretty strong allies. For mothballing though I don't think i have the correct DLC, I just dont have the option to use it. I also need to watch the tutorial on colonization.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

no friends in ireland

only vassals!! ulster could maybe ally one of the other irish lands, which is your chance to snag them out from england when ulster comes to help in a war with leinster/kildare/whoever. but you can't do that if you're allied to the irish lands

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I'm bros with Leinster and for whatever reason vassalization is next to impossible so I'm thinking I'll just take everything by force

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you'll never be able to peacefully vassalize until you're france/castile/england size and even then it's only one/two province nations

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
game plan is unchanged then welcome to the new Scotland

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hope England never wants it they showed up with twenty thousand dudes to suplex someone who was attacking the pale

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try to invade England when they are heavily committed to a continental war. Especially if their allies are in it too and too exhausted to accept another CTA. Then you can probably get a few provinces and be that much better off when they come for you

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

Try to invade England when they are heavily committed to a continental war. Especially if their allies are in it too and too exhausted to accept another CTA. Then you can probably get a few provinces and be that much better off when they come for you

I might've missed my chance on that. When I was seizing Ireland England wrapped up its conflict with France. I've kept an ambassador in France to boost relations in case I need to pull in some actual help.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if you grab all the irelands (-pale) and take full quantity you should have enough of a force limit to match england. you may be able to get away with just the +20% from offensive ideas + offensive rules

don't rely on france to invade the english mainland but they will get you some warscore if they occupy the french-english holdings

i really like scotland/leinster by the way

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah we are friends

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer not to ally France until after they can't call me in, because otherwise they will demand their cores get returned and you'll lose a future opportunity for England to have all their troops overseas

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ahhhh. EU4 is driving me nuts. I'm trying an opening as England where you end up with a PU over France and if all goes well, Castile, Aragon and Austria as well, but so many things have to go right, it's taking a million restarts. First you need Burgundy as Friendly so you can ally them and call them into the unification war, then you need to make sure that you get an army morale adviser + full force limit stack ready on the continent before the Maine event fires. However sometimes the event doesn't fire, and if it doesn't fire by 1450 it won't fire at all, so that's another restart. And then sometimes France will ally Hungary and/or the Ottomans, which if you can't ally Austria, (because they tend to rival Burgundy) makes it either incredibly tough or outright impossible.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At least it's now trivial to avoid the War of the Roses, and to replace your 0/0/0 King with Margaret of Anjou within a few years.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomancer posted:

At least it's now trivial to avoid the War of the Roses, and to replace your 0/0/0 King with Margaret of Anjou within a few years.

It's cool because Margaret is the same dynasty of the Anjous in Provence so sometimes you can get some Hapsburg-style PU fuckery going on in the minors of Europe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like England in general, and I wish that conquering England as Ireland or Scotland gave you access to the (many, many) events that are about England but not really about the English government. Both of those tags get jack poo poo for events after ~1550.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

I quit a Scotland game once because I either had to stick as Scotland and run out of cool DHEs or turn into GB and have the game treat me like I was England the whole time

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
We'll finish our Commonwealth game someday...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How did you guys do that anyway? We tried a South Africa, India and Australia game and couldn't get India out of the allies before they were dragged into the UK's war. We were going facsist. Another time as SA/Canada/India as communist and India got into a civil war and then couldn't train divisions anymore due to a bug. gently caress India is what I'm saying.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We all went fascist and used the influencer thing as soon as possible on each so we had a kind of roller coaster effect where once one person went fascist it was easy to get everyone else fascist. And then somebody rushed an independent faction in the idea tree and then invited everyone else to it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

How did you guys do that anyway? We tried a South Africa, India and Australia game and couldn't get India out of the allies before they were dragged into the UK's war. We were going facsist. Another time as SA/Canada/India as communist and India got into a civil war and then couldn't train divisions anymore due to a bug. gently caress India is what I'm saying.

I was India player and I did had the civil war and lost a lot of divisions (even though I literally won in a week cause the enemy had exactly one division against my 7 lmfao) but I did it really early on so I could recoup the losses.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I was India player and I did had the civil war and lost a lot of divisions (even though I literally won in a week cause the enemy had exactly one division against my 7 lmfao) but I did it really early on so I could recoup the losses.

Once British India capitulated all of our India's provinces turned red in the division training menu and we couldn't set a location. This bug has been in the game since release lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It really sucks that India's tree requires you to fight a civil war to do anything because the effects of a civil war are really loving horrible.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I would like a map game where you run a S.P.E.C.T.R.E. style worldwide criminal organization. Kind of like Evil Genius's map mode but way more complex.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I would like a map game where you run a S.P.E.C.T.R.E. style worldwide criminal organization. Kind of like Evil Genius's map mode but way more complex.

My dream game's one like this, but you're the Illuminati and you're competing with like the Templars or Freemasons or whatever for influence of the map.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My dream game's one like this, but you're the Illuminati and you're competing with like the Templars or Freemasons or whatever for influence of the map.

Like the Illuminati board game? Because that is awesome.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Playing a map game as something that isn't a nation is a cool idea IMO. Dunno how it could work but hell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah I hope Paradox's next game is post-9/11 and you play as shadow operatives manipulating world events from behind the scenes to maximize your profits and political influence in the global war on "terror".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A modern day EU4 would be epic. Manipulate the UN so you can exploit other countries resources during civil wars or whatever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Garry Parrish...?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Seems like Manchu/Qing is gonna get some pretty juicy boosts this EU4 expac since they almost never get to grow to historical borders on games.

e: holy poo poo russia's new lategame bonus is loving +20 states

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 1, 2017

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Seems like Manchu/Qing is gonna get some pretty juicy boosts this EU4 expac since they almost never get to grow to historical borders on games.

To be fair Russia has been pretty weak ever since the Art of War changed

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

can not wait to poo poo all over historical borders as russia

frank.club posted:

Hope England never wants it they showed up with twenty thousand dudes to suplex someone who was attacking the pale

after you have eaten up ireland just focus on building up your economy and keeping stable. england is going to war with somebody, usually france, but i have seen denmark a few times in games. snatch up a few provinces and watch as their land force limit dwindles away. eventually you can just annex all of england.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Garry Parrish posted:

To be fair Russia has been pretty weak ever since the Art of War changed

And I guess the loving siberian provinces aren't even worth upgrading to state. The Manchu banner mechanics look badass as hell though.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I forgot how to play Stellaris

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

build as many mineral mines as possible + energy ones too. then you research kinetic + plasma and do whatever. spiritual collectivist is strong i think because then no one complains

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if you forgot why to play stellaris then i can't help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Awwwww yeah!

Couldn't have come at a better time either, I honoured the call to defend Liege against Burgundy while I was still finishing up my war to vassalise the Livionian Order + take Riga + Neumark, then Burgundy's King dies.