Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

You can not-watch both. In fact we live in a world where you very rarely have to pick between two bad shows, and can instead pick a good one.

You can also not watch G-Savior.

Having failed to follow my own advice, I can safely say that very few Gundam shows are quite as unrewarding as G-Savior. It sucks, yes, but it has no particular depth or distinction to the sucking. It's just a better-than-average SyFy original movie with some Gundam branding. And the better than average is actually more of a fault, since most of the slim entertainment in those things is how obviously awful they are.

At the bare minimum, they could have given the psychotic jackass antagonist a mask and a red MS. You know, something that says Gundam beyond "Giant robots in space."

(I can't believe I'm saying there's a Gundam installment that needs to be more slavishly adherent to series traditions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kanos posted:

Gundam X is pretty much a show focused entirely on how the older generation hosed every single thing up and how it's the younger generation's job to fix it. It's very Gundam except it takes the logical "wow, the adults sure are ruining everything at this rate" thing from MSG/Z/ZZ and accelerates it to its logical conclusion before the series even starts.

Yeah, the generational themes are clearly there, but I dunno, it feels like its missing something that I am drawn to from the other shows that isn't here.
I feel like most of the shows have really strong themes of communication and it failing, but I'm just not getting it here.

I mean despite even that a lot of the show just doesn't work for me. I am not a big fan of the look of it, and while I like a lot of the characters I feel like most of them aren't going to stick with me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After War Gundam is a show I keep forgetting even exists. The only other one I'm even less aware of is that gunpla ova that came out before build fighters. Beginning gunpla fighters something somewhat

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only other one I'm even less aware of is that gunpla ova that came out before build fighters. Beginning gunpla fighters something somewhat
Keep it that way

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah, the generational themes are clearly there, but I dunno, it feels like its missing something that I am drawn to from the other shows that isn't here.
I feel like most of the shows have really strong themes of communication and it failing, but I'm just not getting it here.

I mean despite even that a lot of the show just doesn't work for me. I am not a big fan of the look of it, and while I like a lot of the characters I feel like most of them aren't going to stick with me.

Oh yeah, Gundam X looks pretty bad. The most phoned-in 90s animation. And the best character doesn't show up until the show up until the show is almost over

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
X suffers from meandering around for it's first third or so but once they got a fire under their rear end and eventually the cancel notice it starts to pick up as the rush to get the anime done.

Also as I'm currently in the midst of a full gundam watch through with my GF, I am in fact forced to watch AGE. At least we're finally on the Kio arc.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Finished 08th MS Team rewatch, fun times, decided to jump straight into Build Fighters since Bandai made it free on YouTube.

WHY aren't amiibos being used to simulate this?! I'm sure Tomino would frown at the breathless toy advertising, but come on their games look cool as hell.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lol if u think tomino had fuckall to do with build fighters and didnt have an aneurysm

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Lol if u think tomino had fuckall to do with build fighters and didnt have an aneurysm

The first thing that'll happen when Bandai gets their Gundam mobile is Tomino will steal it and drive it through the Gunpla factory.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Fish posted:

Finished 08th MS Team rewatch, fun times, decided to jump straight into Build Fighters since Bandai made it free on YouTube.

WHY aren't amiibos being used to simulate this?! I'm sure Tomino would frown at the breathless toy advertising, but come on their games look cool as hell.

That's what Gundam Breaker is for

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.zimmerit.moe/when-gundam-came-to-hollywood/

Neat article about a script for a live action Gundam movie in the 80s.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Srice posted:

While Amaru and Sara are out scouting, the White Base is using its manufacturing capabilities to repair the Gundam and Guncannon and build more Gundam derivatives. These new derivatives are ultimately revealed to be the Guntank and two Gundam variations unique to the film: the Gunfighter and Gungrenadier. The Guncannon is piloted by Lou McNab, a veteran who helps Amaru and Sara track down capable mercenaries. The Guntank is piloted by the Steve McQueen analogue and tank commander named McCoon. The Gunfighter is piloted by a stoic, mysterious VR duelist named Von, while the Gungrenadier is piloted by Lee, a washed up baseball player who was once a star pitcher that got the job because of his throwing ability. Lee is actually first introduced in an extended sequence in which Amaru, Sara, and McNab attend a “three-dimensional baseball” game, where they eat “space dogs” and watch a game of what is essentially baseball with jetpacks.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DamnGlitch posted:

:thejoke:

Has Tomino made any "otaku should die in a fire" type statements, or is it all "I will quietly seethe while these nerds give me money?"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

just like my g gundam fanfics :eyepop:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Belzac posted:

X suffers from meandering around for it's first third or so but once they got a fire under their rear end and eventually the cancel notice it starts to pick up as the rush to get the anime done.

Also as I'm currently in the midst of a full gundam watch through with my GF, I am in fact forced to watch AGE. At least we're finally on the Kio arc.

Being able to just watch all the episodes when you want makes AGE not as bad as watching it when it aired and having to wait a week for another poo poo episode at least

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Agreed. If a currently running show has about 3 bad episodes in a row I'll wait until it's finished to binge it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Belzac posted:

Agreed. If a currently running show has about 3 bad episodes in a row I'll wait until it's finished to binge it.

Why not just not watch it?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why not just not watch it?

Because if you don't watch all the anime, you die, obviously.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

And for a less flippant answer, even really good shows overall can wind up with lovely episodes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dulkor posted:

And for a less flippant answer, even really good shows overall can wind up with lovely episodes.

Three in a row, though...

That's a quarter of a cour. Three 'eh' episodes in a row, I can see on a good show, but three outright bad ones in a row strikes me as a pretty good reason to bail barring reports that things really turned around.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gurren lagann basically had 3 bad episodes at the first half in a row, it can be salvaged

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Gurren Lagann was going to be my example. I did quit it originally at around episode 4 or 5.

Also it wouldn't be a full Gundam watch through unless we watch all of Gundam.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K5tzsi6vqjGVZ2ZaSfQ-F-01cDy9JV9PaZECYI0ElsI/edit?usp=sharing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Belzac posted:

Gurren Lagann was going to be my example. I did quit it originally at around episode 4 or 5.

Also it wouldn't be a full Gundam watch through unless we watch all of Gundam.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K5tzsi6vqjGVZ2ZaSfQ-F-01cDy9JV9PaZECYI0ElsI/edit?usp=sharing

I like Gundam more than is reasonable, but even I think that's a bad idea. Are you seriously going to sit through all of SD Gundam Force?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
My girlfriend likes the "baby big heads" so probably, yes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Belzac posted:

I guess you're finally on the worst part of the show.

It goes from bad to completely awful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Quattro, he is a Sha.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Monaghan posted:

I guess you're finally on the worst part of the show.

It goes from bad to completely awful.

It continues to be amusing how nearly everyone has the same arc watching AGE, going "hey this is more like it" at the start of kios arc and then getting increasingly angry in the final stretch.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Kio's arc is the best one in my opinion.

Flit's is by far the worst.

Don't combine the final arc with Kio's.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

It's a shame AGE wound up like it did, it had some cool moments in the first episode, like the Vegan camping the MS exit and Flit shanking a dude with a beam dagger

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm comfortable with not watching AGE, myself

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
girard spriggan

girard spriggan

girard spriggan

A Gundam AGE stage play in three acts

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Watch AGE to appreciate gundam seed more.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Having just rewatched Seed and Destiny, AGE has to be better. Right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Having just rewatched Seed and Destiny, AGE has to be better. Right?

AGE has pretty much all of SEED's flaws and somehow even fewer strengths. It really is the absolute low point of Gundam.

It has like a couple of okay scenes and some good music and that's about it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Belzac posted:

Kio's arc is the best one in my opinion.

Flit's is by far the worst.

Don't combine the final arc with Kio's.

Kio's arc still has Ezelcant revealing his bugfuck stupid plan for a war that lasted 70 years and is also pretty much the point where the fridging of women goes into overdrive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

AGE has pretty much all of SEED's flaws and somehow even fewer strengths. It really is the absolute low point of Gundam.

It has like a couple of okay scenes and some good music and that's about it.

It does look slightly nicer, though. I mean, it's still not all that pretty, but SEED was an all-time aesthetic low point for Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It does look slightly nicer, though. I mean, it's still not all that pretty, but SEED was an all-time aesthetic low point for Gundam.

I think it's a real debate. SEED has an ugly art style but AGE's isn't much better and age's uniform design is infinitely worse than SEED's. I wouldn't give either credit and at best would say "SEED was early digital coloring which is more of an excuse than Age's... ageness."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SEED looked okay at the time, it just hasn't aged well. Whereas AGE looked bad even when it first came out. And SEED itself was relatively decent... it's just that it will be forever tainted by Destiny. AGE on the other hand has no excuse and was just bad to worse throughout.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I liked some of the Age mobile suits too. Gundam Legilis was a neat mix of the two visual styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I liked some of the Age mobile suits too. Gundam Legilis was a neat mix of the two visual styles.

I like the Dark Hound as a pirate gundam more than the Crossbone and I actually like the Clanche. On the other hand Age Double Bullet is in the running for worst waverider mode in Gundam.