Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Clearly the answer is to play 40K where hording hundreds of models is not only encouraged, but necessary to play the game :v:

You have to take them out of the box and paint them to play. A collectible nearly by definition can only be enjoyed by having it, and further by having it in the most pristine form possible. Haggard himself speaks to this about his dissapointment in Amalthea as she is a damaged unicorn compared to the rest of his collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And Fortuna despairs that those who come see her collection cannot appreciate her two genuine collectibles among the counterfeits.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Barudak posted:

Wont lie, never really cared for Nightmare Before Christmas. Super well animated and a decent song or two but as a film to watch Ive a hard time despite its short length.

I rewatched it last week and I still love it.

That said wow I really didn't pick up on just how much of an oblivious jerk Jack is, when I watched it as a kid. I knew he messed up and had to apologize for it. He spends the entire movie being idolized and adored, hates it, and never gives a thought for other people's feelings until he's literally shot with a cannon for being such an rear end.

Or, on a more esoteric note, how the level of quality and detail that went into every other part of the movie kind of disappears for 5-10 minutes during the "jack delivers gifts / police respond to killer toys" segment.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 12, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I always felt the ending was a little off, with Jack suddenly having a whole lot more interest in Sally than he'd shown in the entire film to that point.

Though, in retrospect, I guess the film implies (or even makes explicit) that he put 2 and 2 together to get 4 after Santa explicitly noted she was the only voice of reason in Halloween Town vis-a-vis his whole plan.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i liked the shoddy animation. it's an old movie, it wasn't made on a disney-level budget, i can make concessions. however the one thing that kept really bothering me was whenever they showed a character walking along a matte road on a cliff's edge, there were at least three occasions, they drew them way too close to the edge and it was hair-raising

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my theory on the butterfly is that he knows he's only going to live for like three days, being a butterfly, so when a unicorn asks him questions he's like gently caress you you're going to live forever and you're wasting my valuable time? i'll show you bitch

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I thought NbC starts off strong but peters out at the end and while certainly very stylish villain with an ace song, it felt like Oogie Boogie was there solely to keep Jack from being the Bad Guy of the film.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of Halloween and Tim Burton, Frankenweenie is a way better movie than I expected. Having a major animated film be both stop motion and entirely black and white in this day and age is the kind of thing that only someone with that much clout could pull off and the way they spun it into a parable about ignorant people condemning science because they don't understand it was a fun direction.

Making the bullies Japanese just so they could do an incredibly tired Godzilla joke in the final act was really cringeworthy, though.

Robindaybird posted:

I thought NbC starts off strong but peters out at the end and while certainly very stylish villain with an ace song, it felt like Oogie Boogie was there solely to keep Jack from being the Bad Guy of the film.

There's an alternate ending to the film where Oogie turns out to be Dr Finklestein in disguise instead of an animated sack of bugs, considering how inconsequential he wound up being in the end I kind of feel like that would have given the character more pathos and actually justified hos existence beyond being a villain for Jack to triumph over.

Also since this is the one animation forum that agrees with me about how creepy Don Bluth's fixations are can I just say that Burton's recurring motif of having dead women with detachable limbs as love interests in his movies feels like it might be some weird fetish thing?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tim Burton has a shtick that he's sticking to, and willing to stagnate himself on, I'm sure he's capable of going outside brooding mopey leads, wacky lunatics/grotesques, waifish leading ladies and spirals, but he's not willing to do it and will throw it into movies where it just doesn't fit.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 13, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

the old ceremony posted:

my theory on the butterfly is that he knows he's only going to live for like three days, being a butterfly, so when a unicorn asks him questions he's like gently caress you you're going to live forever and you're wasting my valuable time? i'll show you bitch

In the book it explains that all butterflies are extremely hyperactive and flighty and can't really concentrate very well when you try to talk to them. The butterfly is trying his best, really, he's just not designed to sit still and have straight forward conversations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

In the book it explains that all butterflies are extremely hyperactive and flighty and can't really concentrate very well when you try to talk to them. The butterfly is trying his best, really, he's just not designed to sit still and have straight forward conversations.

and being more mimics than actual thinkers, Butterfly was actually struggling to find the relevant scrap of information out of everything he has heard - it's like trying to find a book in a library without the dewey decimal system, just it's also bouncing around in your head.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

The movie plays pretty well if you view Oogie Boogie as a nearly-literal manifestation of Jack's selfishness. He starts out as just an incorporeal shadow in the first song; he's a body without a skeleton, Jack's a skeleton without a body; they share henchmen, they're both into Sally, and literally every inch of Oogie Boogie's lair is covered in skeleton motifs.

e: which is to say, Oogie Boogie isn't there to keep Jack from being the bad guy of the film. Jack is the bad guy of the film. Everything bad that happens is the direct result of his deliberate actions even if you don't subscribe to the theory above. Oogie Boogie is there so he has a chance to redeem himself.

e2: "how dare you treat my friends so shamefully" Jack says, to the guy who kidnapped the same guy he kidnapped and mistreated and underestimated the same woman he mistreated and underestimated

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 13, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TNBC is great even though it's uneven and weird. Like that's a huge selling point.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

TNBC is great even though it's uneven and weird. Like that's a huge selling point.

yeah it's a big goofy mess that honestly could probably have done with even less of a plot

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Similarly, this movie [Nightmare Before Christmas] is really hard to go back and watch because the animation is SO rough now. At least for me. The songs in this movie are still absolutely stellar though.

A certain amount of jank is part of the charm of a stop-motion film, to me at least. The way it pulls in tiny little microbursts of activity can lend a kind of frenetic energy to the final product.
Like the way that things were constantly moving in that Wes Anderson movie.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or, on a more esoteric note, how the level of quality and detail that went into every other part of the movie kind of disappears for 5-10 minutes during the "jack delivers gifts / police respond to killer toys" segment.

I think that was done on purpose, to highlight the difference between the dull, mundane living world and the hyper-real nature of Halloween/Christmas town.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I wonder if NBC is history's most despised film solely based off merchandising. I know everyone here has legitimate opinions, but there is a huge backlash against this movie because people are tired of seeing the constant Hot Topic t-shirts.

Reflecting on it, I think NBC is probably a good example of how to adapt children's books to film. The dialogue is very simplistic, the story is essentially basic enough and the visuals strong enough that you don't even need to know the language they're speaking to follow along, and rather than cram in "adult humor" to satisfy the parents it goes heavy on being stylistically interesting.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I remember getting a Jack shirt that I've slowly but surely hidden in my closet for exactly these reasons

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NBC was a children's book? I always thought it was original Burton idea. I remember Lydia had a Jack Skellington decoration in Beetlejuice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was a book Burton wrote.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nerdman42 posted:

I remember getting a Jack shirt that I've slowly but surely hidden in my closet for exactly these reasons

Wear it anyway, who cares.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, Tim Burton didnt direct nightmare before christmas, Henry Selick did.

This fact was once important on a shortlived gameshow on vh1 about nerd knowledge quizes as it determined the imagural winner.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Did that book even get published? Particularly, was it ever published before the film adaptation?

Honestly, as far as TNBC goes, as a kid I was a little too spooked to get into it, and didn't really give it a proper, fair shake until closer to my college years, when I got a PS2 with Kingdom Hearts and had its TNBC world to pique my interest. I'm pretty sure Hot Topic had long since been marketing TNBC apparel by this point, so for what it's worth, that was a complete non-factor for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good thing kingdom hearts was your video game intor because the NBC standalone game is a truly miserable DMC knockoff where jack will not loving stop shouting at full volume “Soul Rubber”

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TNBC is a magnificent musical and overall production. The plot and characters and so forth are definitely not the strongest, but I'm tempted to say it doesn't really matter and I'm not sure it would necessarily be a better movie if they "fixed" that stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm lukewarm on TNBC, but thinking about it is making me nostalgic for the early to mid 2000s, which is weird because that was it's nostalgic push since it was a 90s movie. I kinda wanna listen to Slipknot and Disturbed now.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nightmare Before Christmas is good.

Also, I thought y'all were talkin' about Natural Born Killers for a hot second.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LeJackal posted:

A certain amount of jank is part of the charm of a stop-motion film, to me at least. The way it pulls in tiny little microbursts of activity can lend a kind of frenetic energy to the final product.
Like the way that things were constantly moving in that Wes Anderson movie.

That fox movie right? Fantastic Mr Fox I think? I couldn't get into that movie either cause I just found the animation unpleasant to watch. I know I'm in the super minority there and pretty much everyone here loves that movie to death but I could not get into it cause of that. And I'm gonna be real honest, even though it's a good movie I have a hard time going back and watching the original Toy Story because the animation is so dated at this point compared to how Toy Story 3 currently looks. I feel like hand drawn animated movies don't really have this issue for me

Though even beyond that TNBC I've always just been kind of "meh" about beyond the amazing songs

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Afraid I can't empathize at all; I can go back to stop-motion films like TNBC or Fantastic Mr. Fox or any given Wallace and Gromit short, as well as early Pixar films like the first Toy Story, without much issue.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shadow Hog posted:

Afraid I can't empathize at all; I can go back to stop-motion films like TNBC or Fantastic Mr. Fox or any given Wallace and Gromit short, as well as early Pixar films like the first Toy Story, without much issue.

See Wallace and Gromit and like Chicken Run on the other hand I can go back to, I still think those looks great

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As far as I am concerned, fantastic Mr. Fox is completely unwatchable.

I think that the nightmare before Christmas is mostly a series of emotional viginettes; you can relate to the characters at specific instances, even though their arcs don't make a ton of sense.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

dirksteadfast posted:

I wonder if NBC is history's most despised film solely based off merchandising.
It's not even almost close to history's most despised film.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

As far as I am concerned, Wes Andersen films are completely unwatchable.

fify. I just find his body of work incredibly twee

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's not even almost close to history's most despised film.

He's saying based on marketing alone.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

fify. I just find his body of work incredibly twee

So what

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

so basically it's completely unwatchable

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

so basically it's completely unwatchable

This is flatly untrue.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mr. Fox, and most of Andersen's films to a greater or lesser extent, are almost unpleasantly twee.

Personally, I'm a big fan.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Andorra posted:

He's saying based on marketing alone.

I don't think most adults actually care at all about what's sold at Hot Topic, let alone despise a film over it.

Minions/Despicable Me is an example of inescapable marketing. Or Star Wars.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 13, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

Also, Tim Burton didnt direct nightmare before christmas, Henry Selick did.

This fact was once important on a shortlived gameshow on vh1 about nerd knowledge quizes as it determined the imagural winner.

And frankly, at least if NBC and Coraline are representative of his work, Selick's the better director.

e: and I loved Monkeybone even if it is a really weird, uneven film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i only made it ten minutes into coraline for reasons i still can't quite explain. i enjoyed the book and it was a visually beautiful movie, but something about the way the characters wildly overacted and couldn't deliver the simplest line of dialogue without twitching and spasming all over the screen just irritated me too much to continue with it. i've never had that problem with any other animated film so it's weird to me but i did genuinely find it unwatchable.