Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Conservatives don't particularly care about courts that run counter to their ideology. There's a storied history of surveillance being introduced, being found illegal by courts, and those decisions being ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
plus we got cookie banners because of German bureaucrats, who’s to believe they won’t succeed with this

my mind still is boggled

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

No, we got those because webdevs are the dumbest, most feckless morons on the planet.

None of my sites display one, and they don't need to either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, plenty of times you can avoid making GBS threads up your users with cookie banners by simply ensuring that you're not vacuuming up data that you don't need and really have no business gathering.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It wouldn't surprise me if webdevs were the worst of the computer toucher species but are cookies really their fault or the bosses?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

breadshaped posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if webdevs were the worst of the computer toucher species but are cookies really their fault or the bosses?

Both of these things are true. A lot of web programming, say in mid-tier outsource price bracket, ends up just copy-pasting giant building blocks, think buying another BMW to change a spoiler on your BMW, and so you end up with really overwrought websites that, e.g., need 20 cookies when they don't even use any tracked analytics meaningfully, or offer support for user sessions.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Good on ya if your personal website only uses session cookies or whatever, but that's clearly not what people are upset about. What pisses people off is websites setting a billion tracking and analytics cookies and tricking users with dark patterns and nudging to give their consent.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I was not talking about personal websites.

And the people who are at fault for the cookie and consent banners (and those are two different things) are the web developers who made them.

It's not hard to get by without, but they chose to throw a tantrum instead.

Here's a positive example:

Small popup that times out after a few seconds. Which is more than they need to do.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The best/worst ones are those US sites where when you decline tracking, they redirect you onto a pissy passive-aggressive minimalist site that goes like "okay then I guess you won't get to enjoy our wonderful content :mad:".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perestroika posted:

The best/worst ones are those US sites where when you decline tracking, they redirect you onto a pissy passive-aggressive minimalist site that goes like "okay then I guess you won't get to enjoy our wonderful content :mad:".

I like the ones where they just block any European visitor (usually local news) with a message like "Our European visitors are important to us, please be patient as we find a solution." and my brother in christ, it's been 5 loving years, you don't give two shits lol.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The best part is when you have to access .gov sites (mostly for state governments, like when I had to order a copy of my birth certificate) and they just straight-up don't work outside the US at all. Thank God for VPNs.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

'oh okay let's put the URL into archive.is aaaaand someone saved a readable version, nice'

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Übrigens:

Auf die Fresse posted:

FDP regt Energiegewinnung durch Kernfusion an – SPD ist dagegen

Die Liberalen schlagen vor, nach dem Atom-Aus in Deutschland Kernfusion zur Energiegewinnung einzusetzen. Anders als bei der Kernspaltung in Atomkraftwerken würden hier nur minimale Mengen Radioaktivität freigesetzt. Die SPD hält dagegen.

Die FDP hat angeregt, nach Abschaltung der letzten Atomkraftwerke bei der Energiegewinnung auf Kernfusion zu setzen – sie stößt damit bei der SPD aber bereits auf Widerspruch.

Die Verschmelzung von Atomkernen zur Energiegewinnung ist bisher nur eine Idee. Anders als bei der Kernspaltung in Atomkraftwerken würden bei der Fusion nur minimale Mengen Radioaktivität freigesetzt, das Risiko einer Kettenreaktion besteht nicht.

FDP-Fraktionschef Christian Dürr sagte den Zeitungen der Funke-Mediengruppe: „Ich will, dass in Deutschland einer der ersten Kernfusionsreaktoren entsteht. Dazu sollten wir den Einsatz der Kernfusion entbürokratisieren.“ Er forderte: „Wir sollten einen eigenen Rechtsrahmen für die Kernfusion schaffen: ein Kernfusionsgesetz.“ Denn: „Die Kernfusion fällt derzeit unter das Atomrecht – obwohl überhaupt keine hochradioaktiven Abfälle entstehen.“ Ob das erste Kernfusionskraftwerk aber in 10 oder 20 Jahren entstehe, lasse sich nicht absehen.

Die SPD-Vorsitzende Saskia Esken hält die Idee nicht für sinnvoll. „Wer jetzt den Eindruck vermittelt, dass mit dieser Technologie in absehbarer Zeit ein verlässlicher Beitrag zu unserer Energieversorgung geleistet werden kann, der streut den Menschen Sand in die Augen“, sagte sie den Funke-Zeitungen.

Yeah, all that Bürokratie around Fusion.
And "überhaupt keine radioaktiven Abfälle", lmao.

Hating the FDP is absolutely warranted.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Why even bring up future tech we might not even conceivably see in our lifetime?

FDP

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Because that's all they have. If you just entbürokratisier hard enough, suddenly a bright future of infinite energy comes into being, and how dare anyone doubt it. It's all smoke of course, they just want to do nothing but grandstand and point at the distant future, knowing they don't have to actually do anything concrete.

Seriously, I can't get over the Bürokratie comment. It's so breathtakingly stupid.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Eh, I genuinely believe the first grid ready fusion reactors will be available in around 15 years. It would absolutely suck if it takes 40 additional years due to buerocracy and nuclear fear.
Acting like a fusion reactor is comparable to the radioactuve waste of a fission reactor is naive and honestley stupid.

In fact the USA just (like this week) made a change so that fusion is regulated similar to a hadron colider, rather than a fission reactor, which honestly fits way closer to what's going on there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 16, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Eh, I genuinely believe the first grid ready fusion reactors will be available in around 15 years. It would absolutely suck if it takes 40 additional years due to buerocracy and nuclear fear.

I really loving hope so. Technology seems to be coming along but commercial viability seems a long way off still.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Well they'll be available maybe, but the big question is the economics of it all (and even with nuclear energy they are not good) - and for sure FDP wouldn't be the party to crowbar into the market to subsidise it. Also I think it's unlikely as-is we'll see it soon, the 2022 announcement had a lot of caveats when you look into it. But the FDP mostly just wants to look like it's different from the Green, it's not a good faith proposal.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Like yeah, there are some very cool fusion projects going on (Helion looks neat in particular), but those are still in a very uncertain stage. They absolutely should be funded and supported, but they 100% should not be relied upon in any capacity for any longer-term planning. We should still be very much continue to decarbonise our energy grid under the assumption that fusion won't appear just in time to save our asses.

FDP is just doing its usual thing of pointing at at something shiny and going "surely this will magically solve all our problems, no need to actually take material action".

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 16, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

EU DEMO isn't even close to being built yet, and many rather basic questions have not been answered.

Perhaps the FDP should invest in education and Kindergrundsicherung, so we actually have a workforce able to work towards fusion in the future…

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Antigravitas posted:

EU DEMO isn't even close to being built yet, and many rather basic questions have not been answered.

Perhaps the FDP should invest in education and Kindergrundsicherung, so we actually have a workforce able to work towards fusion in the future…

yeah it's underappreciated with the whole nuclear energy discourse (which was a mistake) that at this point we lack skilled workers to operate nuclear reactors, but of course that'd mean it's a bit more than an easy cheap fix to just turn them all back on. (which is why the companies operating the nuclear reactors have gone on record they don't really want to be involved in nuclear here anymore)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

spankmeister posted:

I really loving hope so. Technology seems to be coming along but commercial viability seems a long way off still.

It's really an interesting field of research. ITER is pretty much a pit of money, because it is only trying to solve the problem with giant size and was already based on obsolete technology when it was covieved and will still take years to built. In the meantime, there are massive advancements in the efficiency of magnets to built such a tokamak (see SPARC by commonwealth fusion) or more creative solutions like the stuff Helion is cooking up. They still expect that their next reactor will spew some net electricity (not just energy) by next year.
Also that stuff in the NIF last year where they had in some abstract technical sense a scientific net positive is pretty much ignorable, because that approach would never be useful in any way for generatimg electricity.

But honestly, I think the real future of energy will be plain ol' solar. These things keep getting cheaper, more stable and the efficiency is growing too. The biggest issue is the lack of large scale grid storage.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 16, 2023

sube
Nov 7, 2022

the grid storage is a concern, though hopefully flexibilisation of energy demand through smart technology, expansion of energy markets and greater HDVC grids should make it less relevant as using batteries is not a particularly efficient solution.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I wonder what happened to the more than 100 000 people who worked in solar and wind before getting Altmaier'd.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I just hope against hope that Germany will stop acting as if hydrogen is a way to store energy with any sort of efficiency. It may have some use in industrial steel production without coal, but other than that, it's just such a giant leak of energy, that I feel insulted whenever some politician suggests it as some magic bullet.

Fusion may be some years in the future, but at least it is an actual energy source, rather than a really crappy version of batteries.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Those are the best actually. No, please don't take away the banners and the auto scrolling corporate illustrations. How would I know how important the story is if I don't have to scroll past at least one page of header?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think there's not even an inkling of a chance of seeing a power plant generating electricity by Kernfusion before 2050 and the likelyhood is that we will be lucky to see one by 2060. If somehow this becomes an international race and sees cold-war levels of public spending than there is always the possibility.

A big problem is with the ITER delays. The longer they keep pushing back "first plasma" the longer until we get answers to the critical questions like "Will some of these powerful instabilities just smash through containment and destroy our reactor walls the first time we switch it on?"

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Antigravitas posted:

Übrigens:

Yeah, all that Bürokratie around Fusion.
And "überhaupt keine radioaktiven Abfälle", lmao.

Hating the FDP is absolutely warranted.

Excuse me, it says "hochradioaktive Abfälle" and there's a precise and clear definition when something counts as highly radioactive which you can find at C:\Users\Wolle\Documents\notthatbad-final2-final-FINAL.txt

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

breadshaped posted:

A big problem is with the ITER delays. The longer they keep pushing back "first plasma" the longer until we get answers to the critical questions like "Will some of these powerful instabilities just smash through containment and destroy our reactor walls the first time we switch it on?"

:sickos:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ITER? I barely know her!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

breadshaped posted:

I think there's not even an inkling of a chance of seeing a power plant generating electricity by Kernfusion before 2050 and the likelyhood is that we will be lucky to see one by 2060. If somehow this becomes an international race and sees cold-war levels of public spending than there is always the possibility.

One of the surprisingly positive things coming from ITER was the realization that the fusion plasma was a lot more energetic than predicted, which then lead to a lot of knock-on effects, like the shielding getting irradiated far faster, too. :lol:

But this also means that fusion reactors are also a lot better at creating energy than predicted. Good news for the future!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mr. ITER, smash these reactor back walls
:goonsay:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blockchain, fusion, AI. These are the bold new technologies that will transform this country and finally overcome climate change. I applaud our FDP friends for looking forward, instead of back.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Another huge and spontaneous strike incoming. I've had enough. Dismantle all unions which have influence over public transport. They're clearly abusing their power.
So pissed off right now.

gently caress it. Let's all just buy cars because clearly public transport is a myth.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 18, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Unbelievably bad post

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
maybe we should just pay them more?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

Blockchain, fusion, AI. These are the bold new technologies that will transform this country and finally overcome climate change. I applaud our FDP friends for looking forward, instead of back.

to be fair, at least the FDP managed to hit one real tech on their march to fall for scams, though considering they don't really seem to understand fusion technology, I'll chalk this up to random chance

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Unbelievably bad post
I know, right? I am genuinely pissed that they are making me hate unions. Those are usually a great thing, but now they are losing me here. It's not like the people who get to decide if they get their raises have to rely on public transport. And the loss of two days of profits is neglectible compared to the huge disruption of public life.

Libluini posted:

to be fair, at least the FDP managed to hit one real tech on their march to fall for scams, though considering they don't really seem to understand fusion technology, I'll chalk this up to random chance
Once actual fusion reactors happen, the FDP will insist that we wait for cold fusion.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 18, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

I know, right? I am genuinely pissed that they are making me hate unions. Those are usually a great thing, but now they are losing me here. It's not like the people who get to decide if they get their raises have to rely on public transport. And the loss of two days of profits is neglectible compared to the huge disruption of public life.

:lol: I guess fighting for better things is impossible if it personally inconveniences you, better just Sieg Heil the Bonzen then, Bozo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Libluini posted:

maybe we should just pay them more?

But but but the wage price spiral! Which is totally a thing although inflation is primarily driven by energy prices while markets start to settle already (dairy farmers are fearing lower prices already). Totally!