Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Drifter posted:

I also don't understand his 'poo poo' status nowadays. He seems a decent guy. Runs a business. Doesn't feed his employees bees. Are people just not letting an unsuccessful and one off advertisement strategy from 15 years ago be forgotten?
An entire generation of gamers was made his bitch. All of them. He can't be forgiven for what he did.

Bee guy made some posts on the internet? Doesn't matter. Romero ran magazine ads. Real glossy paper.It stung, like a paper cut. They don't even have those anymore. How can they ever forget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The funny thing about Daikatana is that all of its ideas are either commonplace today (AI companions, RPG elements) or good/amusing enough to carry a modern game (time traveling between different periods, wide variety of weapons, two time displaced copies of the same sword that will create a time paradox and destroy the universe if they clash :black101:). It was just that the execution was mediocre at best and it was ludicrously overhyped.

In short, we could use a Daikatana remake.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

The funny thing about Daikatana is that all of its ideas are either commonplace today (AI companions, RPG elements) or good/amusing enough to carry a modern game (time traveling between different periods, wide variety of weapons, two time displaced copies of the same sword that will create a time paradox and destroy the universe if they clash :black101:). It was just that the execution was mediocre at best and it was ludicrously overhyped.

Well, that and the game was broken in a lot of ways, including a lot of things that just didn't work, and several problems involving weapons that were more liable to kill the person firing the gun than the person it's aimed at.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Get Flying Wild Hog involved and I'm on board.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fair warning; Deponia can be okay at times, but the sequels get outright vile and terrible.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

I can't leave without my buddy superfly

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fair warning; Deponia can be okay at times, but the sequels get outright vile and terrible.

Vile and terrible in what ways

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So I picked up the new Nobunaga's Ambition, since I've played some of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games and really liked them. Hard, but always liked them. Since this is the first of the NA series to every be brought over in English AND the first English KOEI strategy game we've gotten in eight years... what the hell, picked it up.

It's actually quite good! Definitely reminds me a fair bit of RoTK, especially concerning needing to have specific members of your council assigned out to your towns and having them perform administrative actions for you. There's a lot of interesting mechanics, and I can say so far, it seems much less frustrating than ROTK mechanics and UI wise. The UI is very very nice, and does a good job of highlighting opportunities to you when they arrive (like when an enemy's around who can be bribed, or rare wares at the merchant). The presentation is excellent and gives some nice eye candy. Battles can be resolved automatically, but you can also hop into the battlefield which has some basic, but interesting mechanics. You move armies on the battlefield and each officer leading them has special actions and traits that you can use to help you out. This is one of those "Just one more turn!" kind of games and with all the scenarios, each of which allowing you to play any clan.... you could play this game for a loooong time. I'm impressed.

Long story short, anime Crusader KIngs 2 is good :v:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 6, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SynthOrange posted:

In the third and last game the solution to a puzzle is replacing an organ-grinder monkey with a black woman. There is no irony or punchline to this, but it's supposed to be funny apparently? (The writing for the whole series has these weird underlying vibes, but that's just an example of when they're the most obvious.) The one caveat I would say to someone playing is to never, ever expect the protagonist to develop or get better, because the writers really liked just the way he is.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 6, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry. I meant to say he's doing very well helming his mobile company. Clearly he understands gaming markets.

I also don't understand his 'poo poo' status nowadays. He seems a decent guy. Runs a business. Doesn't feed his employees bees. Are people just not letting an unsuccessful and one off advertisement strategy from 15 years ago be forgotten?

I'm not going to say Masters of Doom is a 100% factual book, but going by that, most people that have worked with Romero don't like Romero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

In the third and last game the solution to a puzzle is replacing an organ-grinder monkey with a black woman. There is no irony or punchline to this.
:catstare:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I watched this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SynthOrange posted:

Deponia almost seems okay because Rufus gets called out on his typical adventure game protagonist poo poo and it seems like it might treat him that way in the sequels. The sequels have you do the following with no repercussions;

• Sell a black woman into slavery as a replacement organ grinder monkey.
  • Cheap out on the girlfriend's replacement brain implant, turning her into three separate terrible personalities ("Baby", "Sporty", and "Lady"). The driving plot of the second Deponia is fixing this.
  • Turn dolphins into catfood.
  • Sedate your ex-girlfriend with a sleeping dart so you can steal from her store. More than you already do.
  • Give children to a giant sewer troll who swears he's done with eating children. You set them down on his teeth and leave. When you come back, Troll and children are just gone with no fanfare.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah I bought the sequels before I heard about how awful they were and welp. Don't be me, don't buy the deponia sequels.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Adventure game protagonists being terrible people can be funny if it's done right, like in ben there dan that when one of them accidentally kills a ton of people over the course of the game, but you can't really pull that trick with racism

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Deponia almost seems okay because Rufus gets called out on his typical adventure game protagonist poo poo and it seems like it might treat him that way in the sequels. The sequels have you do the following with no repercussions;

Yeah the bizarre thing about the protagonist is that he's so deliberately awful you'd expect it to lead into, I dunno, some kind of karmic punishment. Or an explicit lack of karmic punishment with some farting about life not being fair. Or a character arc about how acting like an adventure game protagonist is bad and trying to not be so awful. But instead the narrative is just "oh, that bumbling Rufus!" like they wrote a normal protagonist and not an exaggeratedly horrible one. The racism is just racism though.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 6, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

daikatana is a game that actually exists, not an advertisement strategy

It would've been an unremarkable and forgotten game had the advertising not entered the gaming zeitgeist, somehow.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

John Murdoch posted:

Make it similar to the Shadow Warrior reboot and I'd get it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, that and the game was broken in a lot of ways, including a lot of things that just didn't work, and several problems involving weapons that were more liable to kill the person firing the gun than the person it's aimed at.

uh hello there is this thing called realism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drifter posted:

It would've been an unremarkable and forgotten game had the advertising not entered the gaming zeitgeist, somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPXNZDb9bbc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The lovely thing about Deponia is that the end of the first game totally sets everything up so that you'd think he would develop as a character. And then in the sequels he just starts bouncing around from being kind of a dick to literally the worst motherfucker in the world. I think some of it has to do with having the same writer as the Edna & Harvey games, the tone from those kind of weirdly creeps into the sequels in a really bad way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So, was the multiplayer in Dragon Age Inquisition as good as the one in Mass Effect 3? Is it a dead, bad game nowadays?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

So, was the multiplayer in Dragon Age Inquisition as good as the one in Mass Effect 3? Is it a dead, bad game nowadays?

Not as good, perfectly okay but missing that special something. Still hopping on consoles, dunno about PC.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Azran posted:

Total dog poo poo in every conceivable way, it's immensely repetitive(not in the good way like ME3's) and highly unrewarding.

Then again, I didn't care for Inquisition at all by itself so I might be biased against it!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 6, 2015

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Anyone know what's up with Steam reviews? I wrote an 'ironic' review for some recent release, and after about a day it got downvoted to oblivion, which was expected. But it also had more than ten votes as 'funny', and after the downvoting, it was down to a single funny vote. Now I would say that the downvotes may have cancelled out the funny votes, but then I noticed most of my reviews seem to have one sad little funny vote on them. None of them have more than one funny vote, even the ones that are voted 100% helpful.

So since the funny votes on Steam really don't matter, does Steam just wipe them after a time? And if it does that, why does it just leave one vote? I've already thought about this too much, but it seems like such an oddity of a system.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

Total dog poo poo in every conceivable way, it's immensely repetitive(not in the good way like ME3's) and highly unrewarding.

Then again, I didn't care for Inquisition at all by itself so I might be biased against it!

DAInquisition was the absolute most polished of the polished turds that Bioware puts out, story-wise. It's not anywhere near the best, but it's def the most round and smooth. Like, I kinda feel bad for all the, clearly, hard work and effort put into the game, but just what a sad mess. Gameplay-wise...it was the best of the Dragon Ages, I guess? I certainly died less there than I do in the Witcher 3 at least (combat gameplay's not really comparable, though). :argh:

Mass Effect 3's gameplay is leaps and bounds better than DAInq's.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 6, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with DA:I is that it was boring. It was like playing an MMO, but alone and your character had nowhere near as many options as a full level MMO character. I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS an MMO in its development child-hood.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

The problem with DA:I is that it was boring. It was like playing an MMO, but alone and your character had nowhere near as many options as a full level MMO character. I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS an MMO in its development child-hood.

Trying to pull in some of that sweet sweet KoToR money.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry. I meant to say he's doing very well helming his mobile company. Clearly he understands gaming markets.

God Forgives...Gamers Don't!

mycot posted:

In the third and last game the solution to a puzzle is replacing an organ-grinder monkey with a black woman. There is no irony or punchline to this, but it's supposed to be funny apparently? (The writing for the whole series has these weird underlying vibes, but that's just an example of when they're the most obvious.) The one caveat I would say to someone playing is to never, ever expect the protagonist to develop or get better, because the writers really liked just the way he is.

Isn't Deponia made by a German team? Probably just another case of Europeans being clueless when it comes to racism. See also Zwarte Piet (Black Peter) from the Netherlands.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

saucerman posted:

Isn't Deponia made by a German team? Probably just another case of Europeans being clueless when it comes to racism. See also Zwarte Piet (Black Peter) from the Netherlands.

In the Netherlands they try to write off Black Peter as being a part of their culture, but they're much more aware and deliberate about their racism than you're giving them credit for.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Being "clueless" about racism in Europe might have been a thing a decade or so back but nowadays migrants are everywhere and no one in urban Germany or any Western European country is excused from being a racist, unless they are like 90years old and senile.

And hey as I was typing this a homeless dude berated a man playing accordion in the subway for asking for money and not begin white. Go Spain!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I can only pray that one day this old decadent continent of ours can catch up with Australia and USA when it comes to embracing racial equality.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• Turn dolphins into catfood.
To be fair this one is actually funny. The racist bit is obviously out but a lot of this can be handwaved by the fact that you're not ever supposed to think that Rufus is a good guy; a lot of the plot and puzzles are set up as "overcome your character being an rear end in a top hat which actively deters you from progressing". I'm not saying it's a well-written game but a lot of the complaints just seem oversensitive.

edit: Actually, as a clueless European I'm curious here: would it make a lot of difference if the character sold into slavery wasn't black?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 6, 2015

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
USA is so young and people living there have so much mobility, it's no surprise that they haven't had chance to develop racial tensions as complex as Europe. They think that it's just about skin color, when real european knows that he's surrounded by various non-white nations and tribes all the time.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

And hey as I was typing this a homeless dude berated a man playing accordion in the subway for asking for money and not begin white. Go Spain!

This is funny, because moors aren't white either.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Puistokemisti posted:

They think that it's just about skin color, when real european knows that he's surrounded by various non-white nations and tribes all the time.
And those neighbouring city-states, man. gently caress the bastards.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For real though, gently caress Albuquerque.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lord Lambeth posted:

Get Flying Wild Hog involved and I'm on board.
I would be really happy to see that happen.

Like I wasn't too impressed with Hard Reset, but Shadow Warrior is just like ... Give these guys all the crappy 90s games and watch them make magic awesome shooters out of them. I think the next one is like the only upcoming game I'm actually hyped for.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not saying it's a well-written game but a lot of the complaints just seem oversensitive.
You're so close to putting the math together, so close.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Puistokemisti posted:

This is funny, because moors aren't white either.

Yeah I thought the same, you're Mediterranean dude. Spaniards don't consider themselves moors though.

Let's discuss ethnicity in the stream thread.

No let's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

Anyone know what's up with Steam reviews? I wrote an 'ironic' review for some recent release, and after about a day it got downvoted to oblivion, which was expected. But it also had more than ten votes as 'funny', and after the downvoting, it was down to a single funny vote. Now I would say that the downvotes may have cancelled out the funny votes, but then I noticed most of my reviews seem to have one sad little funny vote on them. None of them have more than one funny vote, even the ones that are voted 100% helpful.

So since the funny votes on Steam really don't matter, does Steam just wipe them after a time? And if it does that, why does it just leave one vote? I've already thought about this too much, but it seems like such an oddity of a system.

The Steam review system would be improved immeasurably by getting rid of the stupid "downvote" feature. As it is now, everything ends up hilariously polarized as small groups of angry nerds can down vote every review they don't like, and completely obliterate all opposing reviews. It doesn't even take many people to do this since the reviews are buried as soon as they reach some small minimum number of votes with a negative rating.

On the plus side, even reviews that get voted out still count towards the game approval rating.

• Locked thread