Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've always enjoyed Reus for chilling out. Each individual game takes a while, it has progressive unlocks expanding the systems in play between games, and it's a chill as gently caress God(s) game.

Reus is a bizarre game, because you can play it as a chill game and just do whatever, but if you want to actually accomplish something it's one of the most stressfull games there is, including having to min max under time pressure while having a wiki page open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Reus is a bizarre game, because you can play it as a chill game and just do whatever, but if you want to actually accomplish something it's one of the most stressfull games there is, including having to min max under time pressure while having a wiki page open.

Yeah, I really enjoy the basics of the game and the design aesthetic is fun, but whenever I pick it up again with the goal of unlocking stuff I play for maybe 45 minutes before saying gently caress this.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Max is voiced by Mel Gibson's brother if I remember correctly.

I don't think that is his brother.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Max is voiced by Mel Gibson's brother if I remember correctly.

No, he's not. He is voiced by Australian actor Bren Foster. Donal Gibson did audition for the game, though. I personally don't mind Max's voice, because he sounds like a guy who has lived in the wasteland killing bandits for too long.

efb

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok Ground Zeroes has some idiotic plot but the gameplay is very solid. It's clear that this game is worth playing just for the polished mechanics and its biggest strength is when you're simply playing a level and aren't trying to take the plot or any character interactions seriously despite the devs' attempts at making things very dramatic. I like all the small details and options and I even dig the purposefully repetitive running/walking/interactions sounds that are supposed to give the game a bit of an arcady feel.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So it's Blacklist all over again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Darkhold posted:

Also wasn't there like 5 different editions day one or is that what you mean about the retail preorder DLC? Unless you paid some absurd price you'd feel like you weren't getting a full game for full price.

yeah, that's what i mean. depending on where you bought it you would get completely different stuff with your purchase, and a few things could only be obtained this way at first, which is lovely but acceptable practive for a single-player game but is a terrible idea when it just ends up fracturing your mp base even further.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tippis posted:

So it's Blacklist all over again.

they ruined splinter cell, the bastards

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baller Time posted:

Turns out anime isn't the worst style of Visual Novels after all!

i'm the domestic cow loincloth

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

The White Dragon posted:

i'm the domestic cow loincloth

I'm the sweet flat top on the far right

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm the sweet flat top on the far right

That's Chief Sweet Flat Top

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

Ok Ground Zeroes has some idiotic plot but the gameplay is very solid. It's clear that this game is worth playing just for the polished mechanics and its biggest strength is when you're simply playing a level and aren't trying to take the plot or any character interactions seriously despite the devs' attempts at making things very dramatic. I like all the small details and options and I even dig the purposefully repetitive running/walking/interactions sounds that are supposed to give the game a bit of an arcady feel.

Metal Gear in a nutshell.

Phantom Pain is not overrated and deserves all of the praise it has been getting, so don't burn out on GZ. PP is at least an order of magnitude better*.

* and an order of magnitude sillier.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Joe Gillian posted:

No, he's not. He is voiced by Australian actor Bren Foster. Donal Gibson did audition for the game, though. I personally don't mind Max's voice, because he sounds like a guy who has lived in the wasteland killing bandits for too long.

efb

Max aside, it's a shame they didn't get Bruce Spence to voice Griffa since that character was clearly modeled after him. If the game were a movie that character would be played by him to carry on the tradition of Bruce Spence just showing up and playing completely different characters.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

they ruined splinter cell, the bastards

Blacklist is the best Splinter Cell, wacko story included.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blacklist is really fun. So is Phantom Pain.

I played Ground Zeroes for a bit but I would probably just run through all the ops once (the Vu bonus missions as well) and then move on to Phantom Pain. It's the same gameplay cycle except you get more toys to play with.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Meanwhile I received a very tempting group invite:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Welcome to the club Palpek, we have jackets.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Palpek posted:

"You have no friends in this group. Nobody does."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Waifu Hunter is the only group you will ever need. Accept no substitutes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

Well? You joined, right??

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Palpek posted:

Here's a closer look at that group icon.

It really is quite a Steam group, I'll say that.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 6, 2015

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Unbalanced posted:

Yeah, I really enjoy the basics of the game and the design aesthetic is fun, but whenever I pick it up again with the goal of unlocking stuff I play for maybe 45 minutes before saying gently caress this.

I loved the game but drat yeah I hit a brick wall in the accomplishments where now I have to constantly pause and wikipedia or destroy villages only to build them back up and destroy them. Very trying game. But the aesthetics and sounds are super pleasing imo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

remember godus

peter molyneux wishes you didnt

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Molyneux is the anthropomorphic personification of failing upwards.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Peter Molyneux went from making good games that people didn't like because he said they would be better than they were, to making bad games that people like even less because he said they would be really good.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Colonel posted:

Peter Molyneux went from making good games that people didn't like because he said they would be better than they were, to making bad games that people like even less because he said they would be really good.

before that he made great games that people loved tho

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Max aside, it's a shame they didn't get Bruce Spence to voice Griffa since that character was clearly modeled after him. If the game were a movie that character would be played by him to carry on the tradition of Bruce Spence just showing up and playing completely different characters.

That would've been neat, considering that he's played more than one character in the films. They could've repurposed a stronghold leader for him especially. poo poo, he could've been Chumbucket.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

corn in the bible posted:

remember godus peter molyneux

peter molyneux wishes you didnt

Hopefully. Then again, John Romero likes to consider himself an expert on gaming markets and won't stop trying to call attention to himself.

CoughDaikatanaCough

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Here have a Deponia http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=c492dd82543d11e5b5f96d54060523f6

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarpedNaba posted:

Hopefully. Then again, John Romero likes to consider himself an expert on gaming markets and won't stop trying to call attention to himself.

CoughDaikatanaCough

You throw his name out like he's poo poo, but his mobile gaming company has made him richer than he ever was in the past.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Boy, that sure is one ghastly audio bug the Grandia 2 Anniversary edition's got. Guess I'm not playing that, either!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

CoughDaikatanaCough

peter molyneux is absolutely a master of gaming marketing

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Boy, that sure is one ghastly audio bug the Grandia 2 Anniversary edition's got. Guess I'm not playing that, either!

I haven't got the game myself, but the patch notes say that the sound mix has been updated and is now more adjustable (individual sliders for a bunch of things), if that's what you were referring to.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thanks dude.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drifter posted:

You throw his name out like he's poo poo, but his mobile gaming company has made him richer than he ever was in the past.

That doesn't mean that he's not poo poo. Lots of rich people became rich despite being poo poo

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't mean that he's not poo poo. Lots of rich people became rich despite being poo poo

I'm sorry. I meant to say he's doing very well helming his mobile company. Clearly he understands gaming markets.

I also don't understand his 'poo poo' status nowadays. He seems a decent guy. Runs a business. Doesn't feed his employees bees. Are people just not letting an unsuccessful and one off advertisement strategy from 15 years ago be forgotten?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 6, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

Here's a closer look at that group icon.

It really is quite a Steam group, I'll say that.

I thought they were Lolis With Autism, not Lolis With Tourettes :confused:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Drifter posted:

I also don't understand his 'poo poo' status nowadays. He seems a decent guy. Runs a business. Doesn't feed his employees bees. Are people just not letting an unsuccessful and one off advertisement strategy from 15 years ago be forgotten?

But enough about Half Life 3

e: I was also being facetious about John Romero. Seriously, haven't heard about him since he and ID parted ways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry. I meant to say he's doing very well helming his mobile company. Clearly he understands gaming markets.

daikatana is a game that actually exists, not an advertisement strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Drifter posted:

Some people never get over being made a bitch.

Or sucking it down.

• Locked thread