Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are there any backyard/deathmatches that are, you know, good?

Wrestling isn't real. So mauling and crippling each other to make up for lack of training or any real concept of storytelling or psychology just seems lazy at best, and downright pathetic at worst.

Is there anything out there that proves me wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdMiVV_fnQ

Also doubles as the best women's match I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
This still cracks me up. I wonder what their thought process was in figuring that neither one of them would get hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khuhoF6kqoo

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They sold that good though. They could be the next Mikey Whipwreck with enough training.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Part 2 has the nastiest Flatliner I've ever seen at 0:33:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429S6babAsU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's extremely good that the 600 pound backyard wrestler has matches long enough to require a Part 2

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm always bummed when they don't have a poorly built ring.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I want WWE to sign that big guy and bill him as King Mabel II

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
The original FMW, IWA Japan and W*ING put on good stuff in general. All were influenced by the brawling styles of Memphis and Puerto Rico and there's a lot more focus on good ol' basic, violent brawling and teasing the hell out of the big spots. I think BJW was really the innovator of the modern overkill deathmatch style of guys taking turns hitting each other with lighttubes, spending half the match arranging furniture and doing weirdly co-operative looking gross-out spots.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I want WWE to sign that big guy and bill him as King Mabel II

Big Daddy VI

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

King BW is his brand though. You can't change the name that he's internationally famous for.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

NienNunb posted:

King BW is his brand though. You can't change the name that he's internationally famous for.

Man done named himself after a candy bar.

As for the good deathmatches, Honma (yes that one from New Japan) vs. Yamakawa is basically the epitome of what a good deathmatch should be. If you'd rather have a ol' southern concession-stand brawl, Necro Butcher vs. Toby Klein in 2004 is free on YouTube, either through Smart Mark or IWA-MS's channel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wrestling isn't real. So mauling and crippling each other to make up for lack of training or any real concept of storytelling or psychology just seems lazy at best, and downright pathetic at worst.

Probably not. When I did backyard wrestling when I was younger, I was trying to be a Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels among a bunch of JCW wannabes. After seeing someone go to the hospital when he got power bombed through a flaming table, I soon gave up all things wrestling related for ten years.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like in general, deathmatches have a limited shelf life as soon as escalation gets introduced.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Bee posted:

I feel like in general, deathmatches have a limited shelf life as soon as escalation gets introduced.

That's gimmick matches in general. Ladder matches were about the climb and some weapon uses until the Hardys/E&C and TLC matches turned them into bumpfests. When was the last cage match you saw where someone didn't go off the top of it in some fashion?

Basically it's all Jimmy Snuka's fault I guess.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

That's gimmick matches in general. Ladder matches were about the climb and some weapon uses until the Hardys/E&C and TLC matches turned them into bumpfests. When was the last cage match you saw where someone didn't go off the top of it in some fashion?

Basically it's all Jimmy Snuka's fault I guess.

That tracks. He is directly responsible for Mick Foley and his decade plus of self harm.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The FMW 8th Anniversary Show (which Tokyopop put out in a lovely clipped version as "Yokohama Deathmatch") is pretty good. The No Rope Electrified Barbed Wire Double Hell Land Mine Death Match is pretty disappointing because Shark gets gassed like three minutes in and never recovers.

Also I guess I have to ask what you qualify as deathmatch wrestling? Because a lot of people think of ECW/FMW, but honestly only a small part of FMW was true crazy Japanese deathmatch stuff. The 4th Anniversary show card is a great example, where it includes a bunch of traditional wrestling matches, a MMA rules boxing match and some deathmatch stuff. As far as cards that are top to bottom garbage wrestling deathmatch poo poo, Tournament of Death 9 is one of the better shows CZW has ever put out. A lot of people say the Germany shows are better but I've personally never seen them so I can't rule either way.

I guess depending on how much idiots entertain you ESW is either the greatest thing ever or bafflingly stupid. I will contend that most of their events have better storylines and ring psychology than most TNA matches these days however. They lost their best guy, the terrible juggalo wrestler Wicked J who shoot died in a trash compactor accident.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RIP Wicked J, the true embodiment of a garbage wrestler :(

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

They lost their best guy, the terrible juggalo wrestler Wicked J who shoot died in a trash compactor accident.

It's weird that I have to ask this, but... Was it during a match?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He was a garbage collector.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, weird. I just rediscovered the old Backyard thread yesterday and I was rewatching clips of his matches recently. RIP, Wicked J. The thing about chaos is it's fair.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

remusclaw posted:

It's weird that I have to ask this, but... Was it during a match?

AFAIK he worked as a trash collector and they were loading stuff into the compactor at the dump and he just slipped and fell in.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I used to backyard wrestle but it was just for fun. Yeah we had a lovely ring and some props but none of us did any stupid poo poo. We weren't trying to be hardcore. No one ever left bleeding or injured. The funniest bit was when I found some of our poo poo on YouTube, 12 years later.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I used to backyard wrestle but it was just for fun. Yeah we had a lovely ring and some props but none of us did any stupid poo poo. We weren't trying to be hardcore. No one ever left bleeding or injured. The funniest bit was when I found some of our poo poo on YouTube, 12 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRv0e18Zcqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB6CyJiDvO4

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Legit one of my favorite matches
https://youtu.be/ycb4R_dQkWQ

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Hah! Top notch.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Hey what was that royal rumble match from the early 90s that everyone was talking about not too long ago?

Something about it feeling out of place in a good way

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Hey what was that royal rumble match from the early 90s that everyone was talking about not too long ago?

Something about it feeling out of place in a good way

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion? I just re-watched Greg Valentine / Ronnie Garvin from the 1990 Rumble (an awesome loving match that Shave inexplicably gave ** to), and it really seems like someone dropped a stiff southern blood feud into a bright, shiny WWF arena for some reason. Only real concession to WWF-style logic at the time was how Garvin's shinguard somehow completely negated a figure-4.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

As far as deathmatches go, Masato Tanaka and Mr. Pogo had a pretty good one that's on one of those TokyoPop FMW tapes; it's notable for Pogo being way less lazy than usual.

I also enjoy the Necro Butcher/BJ Whitmer barbed wire match from ROH, but I don't know if that counts as a proper deathmatch. It should, because Necro works the whole thing barefoot like a crazy person.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

AFAIK he worked as a trash collector and they were loading stuff into the compactor at the dump and he just slipped and fell in.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Child's Play 3 was alright, I guess.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the compactor was in the back of a garbage truck

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
At 8 PM we'll be holding a tribute to Wicked J.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Was this man at the scene of the crime?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

Was this man at the scene of the crime?

he was a member of an FBI recognized national street gang

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Backyard? No. Death match stuff? Yes. The key is not confusing the two (and recognizing that there are actually talented wrestlers who have done the death match style stuff). Guys like Mitsuhiro Matsunaga, Tomoaki Honma (yes, that one), Ryuji Yamakawa, Abdullah Kobayashi, Masato Tanaka, Atsushi Onita (before he broke down), and Tarzan Goto (also before he broke down) were all quality wrestlers who also happened to be into doing blood and guts matches. The American death match scene had a much smaller percentage of talented guys. Other than matches with Necro Butcher, Toby Klein, Corporal Robinson, and Ian Rotten against each other, there wasn't much there. And even then, they weren't as consistent as the Japanese guys. There are stories about Madman Pondo secretly knowing how to work really well and just choosing not to, but that's not exactly what we're here to talk about.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lived as he died: botching spots.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

davidbix posted:

There are stories about Madman Pondo secretly knowing how to work really well and just choosing not to, but that's not exactly what we're here to talk about.

Eh, I'd pump the brakes on that one, since he'd have to demonstrate the "working well" part to make it true. It's like Ichiro being a home-run hitter, prove that you can do something before you say you don't want to.

Now, the smart worker in the bad body you're looking for is Mitch Page. Page was in that same IWA-MS deathmatch group but his weight got out of control and broke his body down even faster. Messiah/Nick Mondo/JC Bailey were okay, they were better than the hack 'n' slashers but I wouldn't call them great workers. Sexxxy Eddy and the IWS crew seemed like they could have broke out but never did, probably because they allied themselves with Zandig/CZW, whereas Steen/Generico got into ROH/PWG.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

davidbix posted:

Backyard? No. Death match stuff? Yes. The key is not confusing the two (and recognizing that there are actually talented wrestlers who have done the death match style stuff). Guys like Mitsuhiro Matsunaga, Tomoaki Honma (yes, that one), Ryuji Yamakawa, Abdullah Kobayashi, Masato Tanaka, Atsushi Onita (before he broke down), and Tarzan Goto (also before he broke down) were all quality wrestlers who also happened to be into doing blood and guts matches. The American death match scene had a much smaller percentage of talented guys. Other than matches with Necro Butcher, Toby Klein, Corporal Robinson, and Ian Rotten against each other, there wasn't much there. And even then, they weren't as consistent as the Japanese guys. There are stories about Madman Pondo secretly knowing how to work really well and just choosing not to, but that's not exactly what we're here to talk about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBW-Nwxwqps

This is pretty good.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What kind of influence does zandig have with The Boys in the back?

Also how did Mr Pogo's sickle spots work, did he really just gash those guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I assume he made a small cut, produced a lot of blood, and just waved it around in the mess after.