Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

At this rate they're really going to need to up the daily refine limit or they'll uh, "start" hemoraghing the player base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If they make it like reasonable like a few hundred dil it wouldn't matter too much, but I do not like trying to live in the land of rainbows and unicorns. So I know it will be poo poo and most likely insanely expensive :negative:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Gonna claim my Breen ships and avoid STO till the summer event ships appear.

This game used to be decent.
It's really amazing how this was unironically one of the best MMOs on the market, and now it's just a lovely F2P cashgrab. I have no idea if the PWE fuckers realize just how badly they've hosed up, but considering the past two years of growth were based entirely on goodwill towards Cryptic and good word of mouth, they've pretty much strangled their golden goose.

Axe-man posted:

If they make it like reasonable like a few hundred dil it wouldn't matter too much, but I do not like trying to live in the land of rainbows and unicorns. So I know it will be poo poo and most likely insanely expensive :negative:
In fairness, if it's a few hundred or even a few thousand dilithium per skill it wouldn't really matter that much. It's mostly a one-time expensive, and it'd be relatively trivial. It's just that after all the bullshit pulled with Delta Rising there's basically no reason to believe it will be trivial, or that there won't be some huge hidden gotcha or randomized cash sink involved.

Which goes back to what I just mentioned on the goodwill that's been pissed away. There's a whole lot of systems that could have been awesome improvements with costs that would have been mostly ignored or overlooked because they were overall net benefits to the game, but now nobody wants to look at changes like that. All the focus is going to be on the costs involved, the random chances, the potential tedium, all that stuff. It's just depressing to watch, especially since PWE totally earned it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

If they bring in sailor uniforms then I can forgive these transgressions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

If they bring in sailor uniforms then I can forgive these transgressions.

Skants or no deal.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If they gave us more expensive disco balls that couldn't be nullified... It hurts to dream such sweet things.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm jumping on the "gently caress this game" bandwagon and gonna go play Firefall instead. Their F2P system is similar to STO's before it went to poo poo, but better.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

-Troika- posted:

I'm jumping on the "gently caress this game" bandwagon and gonna go play Firefall instead. Their F2P system is similar to STO's before it went to poo poo, but better.

World of Tanks is a pretty laid back f2p game. Well, the company is, the players are a special breed though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Way ahead of you folks, I got my Q photos and stopped logging in.

You just know the next step is going to be that the tailor costs you dilithium too. The pubbie roleplayers are going to love that one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DancingShade posted:

You just know the next step is going to be that the tailor costs you dilithium too. The pubbie roleplayers are going to love that one.

I genuinely think that would be the last straw that would kill the game's population.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It used to cost a pittance of EC to modify costumes which they removed so I wouldn't put it past them.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Aleth posted:

It used to cost a pittance of EC to modify costumes which they removed so I wouldn't put it past them.

We still get free uniform tokens for leveling up too.

Edit: I have all my Q photos but need to wait for them to patch a fix for the discounts.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Dil to train BOFFS is just the stupidest thing.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Aleth posted:

It doesn't still? What does it cost now.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Mondian posted:

Self-respect.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
A price no one playing this game can afford.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Mondian posted:

There's no cost for using the tailor, which is fortunate because it's the only fun thing left to do in this game.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Hey they could resurrect all the minigame ideas. Minigame every time you enter a system, or open contacts, or start a mission. With a handy dilithium fueled "Start now!" button.

Ibanez Murderface
Mar 7, 2005

#!/bin/bash
More like gayntenance

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JuffoWup posted:

World of Tanks War Thunder is a pretty laid back f2p game. Well, the company is, the players are a special breed though.

Fixed that for you.

So have we passed the point of no return in STO's decline yet?

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
Nah, it's sort of on the edge of the cliff right now, glass of whiskey in one hand and loaded gun in the other.
At this point, maybe Cryptic can step back and fix what's hosed up, or maybe PWE is just going to have it pull the trigger and take the plunge.
Be interesting to see either way.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I know I'm sticking around for the show. And as bad as it gets, I still enjoy kerploding things in my Galor.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Pubs will still be pubs so there'll be some fun there for a while yet, just not so much in the actual game itself.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We talked about this a couple pages back but it seems the sum total of responses to Captain Smirk's community winter event was a whopping two pages of snark.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1342751&page=2

Assuming the population is in freefall I imagine whale-squeezing will be the immediate fallback as they attempt to shore up revenue. Better strap yourselves in, this bullet train only goes one way.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
loving FINALLY! I can get my Chel.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Goat Pillager posted:

Nah, it's sort of on the edge of the cliff right now, glass of whiskey in one hand and loaded gun in the other.
At this point, maybe Cryptic can step back and fix what's hosed up, or maybe PWE is just going to have it pull the trigger and take the plunge.
Be interesting to see either way.

They usually don't leap without some sort of parachute. Can't wait to see what it is though.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JuffoWup posted:

World of Tanks is a pretty laid back f2p game. Well, the company is, the players are a special breed though.

I played WoT since closed beta and I've been kinda burned out on it the past few months. I'll pick it up again eventually vOv

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've unlocked a new headgear!

Apparently it's called "Elite Neutral Helmet"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 9, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Korgan posted:

Pack it in, game is dead, it's gonna cost dilithium to train boffs now.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9052733

I think that the most important question here is: How to we stop the playerbase at large from discovering that this is our doing?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IPCRESS posted:

I think that the most important question here is: How to we stop the playerbase at large from discovering that this is our doing?

It's ok, its not like they've ever discovered any of our previous initiatives unless we explicitly beat them over the heads with it. Repeatedly.

:10bux: paywall is too rich for the average STO pubbie anyway.

:liara:

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
In other news, the Dyson ground battlezone has seen some stealth changes.

Having tagged two of the rexes with the usual several shots and ability spam before moving to the third, I only recieved 5 dil each for the previous two and full credit only for the one I was actually at.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Goat Pillager posted:

Having tagged two of the rexes with the usual several shots and ability spam before moving to the third, I only recieved 5 dil each for the previous two and full credit only for the one I was actually at.

Welp, so much for that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Goat Pillager posted:

They changed that about a month ago to where you need to basically stick around and fight the trex the whole way to get credit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't blame them, to be honest.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I can: Cryptic! :argh:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Still the most fun to be had in sto as of right now.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Axe-man posted:

Still the most fun to be had in sto as of right now.

Sad truth. They really need to make another Battlezone and forget the Adventure zone crap.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I've long thought they should just make all the adventure zones into battle zones (kobali battlezone is trench warfare, nukara battlezone like an actual bug hunt, defera battlezone a horde/king of the hill kind of deal, etc) because yeah both battlezone is the closest thing to actually fun ground content.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21626261&postcount=59

The saddest pubbie posted:

Agreed. I actually simply dismissed my Vulcan first officer and copied everything about her to a new purple quality one, which was sad as she had everything I wanted, just everything was an uncommon level instead of a purple...and she lost her place beside me on the character select screen. Very sad as she is my character's wife.

How broken are these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Good thing my alt's wife is a cat.

• Locked thread