Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Austin is in Texas, but it's not really part of texas. you have to remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
think of it more like a city out in continental california where the yuppies and hippies are fighting with the wasps and olds for dominance

e: and there's millions of mexicans but no one cares about them

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qirex posted:

when you work for a big boring company some vp reads a fast company article on the can and talks their boss into giving a couple mil in budget for a "bold ideas" team unencumbered by traditional bureaucracy, typically they get about 40% into designing an actual product when the plug is pulled or it's folded into the typical development hell of the larger org and comes out the same as a normal project but with way more churn and expense

intentional shadow IT

got it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

SXSW is 100% irrelevant

yep

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

Austin is in Texas, but it's not really part of texas. you have to remember that.

this is a big dumb line of poo poo that Austin residents tell themselves to feel better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

austin is the pittsburgh of texas

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
austin is where middle aged californians go to feel cool again

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

austin is the pittsburgh of texas

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bought my car in austin and it was horrible sprawl and full of ladies in cowboy hats and 3-olives tier gays and it was also 102F in the shade, do not recommend

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
austin is still texas, it's just not a texan's preferred version of texas

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the problem with trying to fight the man is that he has all of the soldiers

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There's this left turn you have to make if you're approaching austin from the north and if the sun is up you will spend half an hour waiting in the clog before you can even see the loving traffic light

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

born on a buy you posted:

austin is where middle aged californians go to feel cool again

and they keep buying houses sight unseen for cash as "investments" then whining about property taxes being an actual thing.

Citizen Tayne posted:

this is a big dumb line of poo poo that Austin residents tell themselves to feel better.

yup.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Tito's though is a decent vodka.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

getting rid of the penny is literally the only positive thing our current government has done.

if you mean Harper, then mega-agreed

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

when you work for a big boring company some vp reads a fast company article on the can and talks their boss into giving a couple mil in budget for a "bold ideas" team unencumbered by traditional bureaucracy, typically they get about 40% into designing an actual product when the plug is pulled or it's folded into the typical development hell of the larger org and comes out the same as a normal project but with way more churn and expense

the first 12 months owns if youre on one of these projects though because "unencumbered by traditional bureaucracy" usually translates into loose expense and capital purchase policy so you get cool toys and nice dinners until the budget runs out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

getting rid of the penny is literally the only positive thing our current government has done.

yup

gently caress harper

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mishaq posted:

the first 12 months owns if youre on one of these projects though because "unencumbered by traditional bureaucracy" usually translates into loose expense and capital purchase policy so you get cool toys and nice dinners until the budget runs out

"internal startup tourist" is a good gig

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i bought my car in austin and it was horrible sprawl and full of ladies in cowboy hats and 3-olives tier gays and it was also 102F in the shade, do not recommend

i used to live in dallas and it was this except no good bars/music/culture

texas sucks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

"internal startup tourist" is a good gig

looking back on my (short) career, i think my last 3 gigs had elements of it :xd:

current one definitely does not though :smith:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

texas sucks

hey man let's go to addison, you can still smoke in bars there

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

texas sucks

The DFW metroplex is one of the most populous in America and somehow manages to have nothing interesting in it at all.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

hey man let's go to addison, you can still smoke in bars there

yeah lets drunk drive or take a $70 taxi ride to addison because of how loving sprawled out that shithole is

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Citizen Tayne posted:

The DFW metroplex is one of the most populous in America and somehow manages to have nothing interesting in it at all.

still better than phoenix

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nagato posted:

still better than phoenix

bristol stool scale

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

yeah lets drunk drive or take a $70 taxi ride to addison because of how loving sprawled out that shithole is

oh man, my girl is in fair park, let's go pick her up and then my friend is playing a show in mckinney, let's go see that after. then my friend is having a loft party in bishop arts, it'll be dope as gently caress.

*drives for 5 hours total*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

oh man, my girl is in fair park, let's go pick her up and then my friend is playing a show in mckinney, let's go see that after. then my friend is having a loft party in bishop arts, it'll be dope as gently caress.

this is my experience going out in los angeles

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

sounds better than florida was

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Wild EEPROM posted:

technological michael buble

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
is there a place on this earth that doesn't suck

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mariana trench.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

this is my experience going out in los angeles

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

transportation in los angeles is so bad that i hate the whole city because of it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

transportation in los angeles is so bad that i hate the whole city because of it

but if you live there you can post all over social media how youre *~in LA~*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey dude my friend just texted me he's at this awesome new bar
*drives from santa monica to silverlake*
man this place is dead let's get some food
*drives to westwood*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it's too bad though because there's some really nice things about la if you can get over having to spend hours traveling through la

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

same

also atlanta

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Beast of Bourbon posted:

The Californians skit on SNL is real. My spouse didn't find it that funny until she met my LA family and then it clicked.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ugh why did the californians get a longass chunk of time on the snl special and every other sketch got a minute tops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Tito's though is a decent vodka.

for sure

• Locked thread