Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Masks mandated indoors for Victoria at the moment? Does that explain the numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Periphery posted:

If the federal government has taught me anything it's that growth is a good thing, right?

That and jobs.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Halo14 posted:

Masks mandated indoors for Victoria at the moment? Does that explain the numbers?

It's mandated for most places indoors, but good luck getting that enforced. Anecdotally, I think compliance for that is around 50%. It might be higher in high-risk places like hospitals, but in shops and workplaces I don't see a lot of them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Periphery posted:

If the federal government has taught me anything it's that growth is a good thing, right?

How good is growth?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

That's what I call shaking and baking that omicron

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

stop clutching your pearls this poo poo is hilarious

FJ is a complete Labor shill but if Labor did more to take the Liberals to task like he's doing with Barilaro then they'd at least look like they have a spine?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

woofbro posted:

That and jobs.

More covid means more jobs in testing, vaccination, healthcare, and mortuary services! This can only be good for the economy!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If we don't get a federal ICAC, we're going to have to fund FJ as the only alternative.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amoeba102 posted:

If we don't get a federal ICAC, we're going to have to fund FJ as the only alternative.

god help us all

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

I'd rather keep the corruption

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sierra Madre posted:

It's mandated for most places indoors, but good luck getting that enforced. Anecdotally, I think compliance for that is around 50%. It might be higher in high-risk places like hospitals, but in shops and workplaces I don't see a lot of them.

Masks are strictly enforced in hospitals (and I'd assume they are in Sydney too) but yeah even less than 50% in my area in shops and cafes etc, including staff.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Peccadillo posted:

I have wild news for you about Nuclear Weaponry!
That you are ignorant?

While there was some cooperation before and during the Manhattan project, after 1945 the US kept its nuclear secrets and research into nuclear weapons to itself. Atomic Energy Act of 46, this is common knowledge although cooperation did improve later in the Cold War.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

freebooter posted:

Masks are strictly enforced in hospitals (and I'd assume they are in Sydney too) but yeah even less than 50% in my area in shops and cafes etc, including staff.

I had to call an ambulance for my father-in-law last night in Sydney, so I can confirm that not only are masks strictly enforced (ambos wouldn't enter the house until everyone including the patient was wearing a mask), but there is ZERO visitation to the hospital.

Also my experience in Sydney is that mask wearing in shops is very high (>90%) and that numbers in shops are very low considering this should be the busiest time of the year.

So not only is the PM and Premier's no mask mandate stupid (as people prefer masks) it is also counter productive economically as people are staying at home.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Beffer posted:

Also my experience in Sydney is that mask wearing in shops is very high (>90%) and that numbers in shops are very low considering this should be the busiest time of the year.

My experience differs. Maybe high case numbers are getting people to go back to the right thing, but my anecdote is that I'm still seeing a good number without masks and there are a decent number of people at the shops even at 8 am.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's going to vary wildly by area tbh
Anecdotally my part of the North Shore (large Asian population) is highly masked indoors still though less wearing them on the streets now, but places like North Sydney CBD were low on masking indoors and outside even before the mandate dropped.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As I see it. Everybody knows that wearing a mask is good. Everybody wants as many people to wear masks as possible, in as many settings as possible.

Everybody. Including the LNP. Including Labour. Including all the health officials.

But governments are shitscared of the word "mandate". Because they are scared of the whingebag protestors aping the American "Muh Freedumbs!" and "This is tyranny! You can't tell me what to do!" crowd.

Especially as they ramp up election campaigning. I know it hasn't been called yet, but we can all see what they are doing.

This explains the PMs "I am not going to force you, (so please vote for me!), but wear a mask anyway." bullshit having it both ways response.

slorb
May 14, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

This explains the PMs "I am not going to force you, (so please vote for me!), but wear a mask anyway." bullshit having it both ways response.

Scotty is willing to kill thousands to reduce the amount the libs get skull hosed by in the next election.

Whether he's willing to kill tens of thousands is about to become clear.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beffer posted:

but there is ZERO visitation to the hospital.

Yeah..my brother in-law's grandfather got put into palliative care two days ago and..well, nobody can go see him.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Libs don't give a poo poo about the stupid protesters, they care that Murdoch is anti-mandate so they'll jump for their master.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

As I see it. Everybody knows that wearing a mask is good.
Please tell this to all the tourists in my area at the moment. Saw probably one out of 100 people wearing a mask yesterday.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Anecdotal but mask compliance is very good here in canberra. Had to pop to Woden shops yesterday for Chrissie food and I didn't see a single person with no mask besides those eating at cafes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australians will self regulate. Now let me read today's numbers after a big sip of coffee.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

abigserve posted:

Anecdotal but mask compliance is very good here in canberra. Had to pop to Woden shops yesterday for Chrissie food and I didn't see a single person with no mask besides those eating at cafes.

Same in small rural QLD town I'm in at the moment. Went to the supermarket here yesterday, two weeks ago no one was checking in, yesterday everyone I saw checked in and all staff and customers are masked. My Sister who's part of the towns facebook group says there has been quite a few people grumbling about how they'll "never shop again" at a place that makes people ware masks... but yeah there's like 10 shops here and all of them as far as I could tell were very much enforcing mask wearing so, um... good luck with that.

(She also said it was mostly the people she saw in the group that just grumbled about everything)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was in Yarraville and over half the people on the street on a hot day were wearing a mask. It seems like plenty of people are being somewhat conscientious to me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Australians will self regulate. Now let me read today's numbers after a big sip of coffee.

:lol:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

NSW 5715. New South Wales really showing those Victorians who's boss.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/1473864576168914945

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/unionsaustralia/status/1473797421314441216?s=20

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Budzilla posted:

That you are ignorant?

While there was some cooperation before and during the Manhattan project, after 1945 the US kept its nuclear secrets and research into nuclear weapons to itself. Atomic Energy Act of 46, this is common knowledge although cooperation did improve later in the Cold War.

No it's that you are it turns out!

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Was in Sydney CBD today. Mask wearing was good in stores but gently caress me people love to have them below the nose.

Only people I saw not wearing them were teens.

Bit of a useless trip in the end as I got a call afterwards telling me Christmas is off because my sister's tested positive...

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Whelp, Perth is hosed, see yall later

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-23/covid-19-alert-in-perth-as-venues-told-they-are-exposure-sites/100722696

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You had a good run but welp.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My mood in Adelaide.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Presser with daddy mcgowan and new health minister Sanderson in 15 or so

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Olympus has fallen

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Budzilla posted:

That you are ignorant?

Fun Fact: The British Government desperately wanted back in on the US weapons program so invited US representatives to witness the atomic tests and see the technical achievements of UK scientists. However the perfidious colonists couldn’t be trusted with any information (despite early involvement in the Manhattan Project by Australian scientists). So the yanks had better access than the Australians at the UK test sites.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

Geisha Bar posted on social media that it was an exposure site between 12:00am and 3:00am on Sunday morning.

quote:

A spokesman for Perth Mess Hall on Francis Street in the city said the Health Department had contacted him and said staff and patrons needed to get tested for COVID-19 and isolate until they received a negative result.

The spokesman said it came after a COVID-19 positive person had been at the venue on Sunday.

He said at the time there were about 400 people and 13 staff at the venue.

Yep, that's a wrap

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Turns out losing the 5th Ashes test wasn't worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I overestimated the NSW Premier. I thought they'd only say they wouldn't do mandates because they had actually thought about the possibilities and noted they would not make mandates in any of the reasonable possibilities. Turns out they obviously didn't and were just talking poo poo. Here was me thinking that the possibility of having to walk back a statement like that would make a person maybe think about it a bit before saying it but nope. The premier did the (one of many) right thing(s) needed and my opinion of them went down. Incredible.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 23, 2021