Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jymmybob posted:

I love seeing all the weirdo Hyundai/Kia/Genesis designs out on the road. It seems like every time I see something new and interesting, it's one of theirs.
Saw the van parked nearby. Can't say I love every design but at least they're trying something interesting and distinctive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
1: It's a perfectly cromulent place to stick the tail lights.
2: Odds are the strip lights below are the sort that exist to be the lights when the tailgate is up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well thats ugly as gently caress.

I can't wait for the dog bone looking brake lights fail in such a way they then look like dicks.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I can't wait for the dog bone looking brake lights fail in such a way they then look like dicks.

Meh. I find I’m already getting used to it, and that’s after seeing just a few pictures.

It’s not the most immediately aesthetically pleasing, but I like the pseudo-retro vibe. Kia and Hyundai have rapidly become one of the carmakers I respect most. They try things, they get better between attempts, and all of their offerings that I sampled as rentals were at the very least “competent with some real highlights thrown in”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It looks a lot better than the current one and it’s like, the fourth ugliest Hyundai at worst

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

From Reddit

I actually kinda like it

It has the A380 or Peyton :manning: five head thing going on the back.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that just doesn't work for me.
Move the lights up and the badging down.

This is gonna be excellent, yea

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

BuckyDoneGun posted:

2: Odds are the strip lights below are the sort that exist to be the lights when the tailgate is up.

I don’t think you can put tail lights on a deck lid in the US. Maybe another reason they’re so low: you still need a big rear end door but don’t have room for lights on the D Pillars

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

They already look like two dicks docking.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

moxieman posted:

The Flex was what every stupid cuv should be: boxy to maximize the usable interior volume. I applaud Hyundai for finally coming around to the idea. Agree the taillights are weird but who’s ever bought a Hyundai crossover for its looks?

And that's precisely what soccer moms hated about the Flex. Now we have Explorers with less space but with the looks that get buyers all hot and bothered.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had to do it

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Hyundai needs to understand this new "H" thing they are doing with lights, doesnt look like an H. it looks like Pixel art dog bones, and it looks like poo poo.
I like the boxy look of this vehicle but all the other stuff like the fake Rover window things, the dog bones, the low sagging rear lights all just gently caress it up.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Sab669 posted:

I had to do it

Ok now make the blacked out parts the turn signals and change the shape to ~

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

BuckyDoneGun posted:

love 2 be fender tapped at 2mph and pay a trillion dollars for 4 LED light setups, backup sensor package and new muffler.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mcqueen posted:

love 2 be fender tapped at 2mph and pay a trillion dollars for 4 LED light setups, backup sensor package and new muffler.

Either it's new enough and valuable enough to have good insurance coverage at which point you really only care about your deductible and not the value of repairs, or it's gotten old enough and you're underinsured and you're not going to fix it or they're readily available in junk/salvage yards.

Or you buy the cheapest replacement parts you can find on eBay or Aliexpress.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I don’t think you can put tail lights on a deck lid in the US. Maybe another reason they’re so low: you still need a big rear end door but don’t have room for lights on the D Pillars

My best guess is that the handle location was picked for ergonomics and by putting lights to either side it simplifies the entire hatch assembly.

Those lower lights are almost certainly compliance lights since the hatch eats up side pillar width and they didn't want to take up any interior space on the lip like Lucid did on their enormous trunk.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Saw the van parked nearby. Can't say I love every design but at least they're trying something interesting and distinctive

Hyundai give this to me with EV drivertrain. This is the perfect vehicle.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Hence the secondary lights existing. Audi already does the same on the Q5 and Q7, probably some others too.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Or you'd have to do something like this:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buick-cascada-has-two-sets-taillights-275667

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If I recall wasn't some variation of the Mini equipped with clear plastic lenses in the hatch, and the actual tail lights were in the rear pillars?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Hence the secondary lights existing. Audi already does the same on the Q5 and Q7, probably some others too.

Sweet looking Hearse

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

She's a brick...house

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

If I recall wasn't some variation of the Mini equipped with clear plastic lenses in the hatch, and the actual tail lights were in the rear pillars?

First gen Clubman has the lights on the inner pillar, poking thru holes in the tailgates:

Second gen does the dual lights thing:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

It was killing me trying to remember which other newer car had a weird rear light set up since the entire rear light set goes up with the trunk. Its the iX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuWmTXphMCo&t=1140s

Timestamped it since I assume you all are Already on Cars and Bids

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Yes i guess that inward kink at the rear bottom half doesn't photograph well from 3/4 view.

It looks like an overweight 40-year-old dad wearing pants that no longer fit him, with a red belt squishing his butt into two separate bulges.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TheMadMilkman posted:

It looks like an overweight 40-year-old dad wearing pants that no longer fit him, with a red belt squishing his butt into two separate bulges.

How did you get a photograph of me?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

The Staria looks great in person. If it's not white.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 20, 2023

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-nissan-skyline-will-become-an-electric-suv-report

:rip:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Love how they use a random lovely photo of one of their cheapest current SUVs for such an article. Holy crap the Ariya starts at $43K? It looks like an even cheaper Rogue in those photos. I actually thought it was one of those "not found in North America" cheap small CUVs for Europe/Asia.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 20, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

Love how they use a random lovely photo of one of their cheapest current SUVs for such an article. Holy crap the Ariya starts at $43K? It looks like an even cheaper Rogue in those photos. I actually thought it was one of those "not found in North America" cheap small CUVs for Europe/Asia.

It's electric

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I saw that when I went to wiki to check what exactly the model was after I posted my initial comment. Then I saw it was on their USA site.

It's $15K more expensive than the Leaf, and by my guess $0 of that went into the design of it :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 20, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ctrl+F for GTR, came up empty. I suppose it's another dead sedan which kinda sucks I guess.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I concur on the Hyundai Staria love. Isn't there already an PHEV version?

Sab669 posted:

I will say the interior felt nice for a Nissan, but that version I sat in was sixty thousand American dollars.

That's unaffordable, and even if I could, there are way too many better cars for the price.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Failson posted:

That's unaffordable, and even if I could, there are way too many better cars for the price.

That's kinda their M.O. 😕

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Skyline, much like the Mitsubishi Lancer, has been a sorta boring sedan with a halo racing variant for a lot of time. Making it a electric suv is unsurprising since it's the type that moves unit nowadays.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What happened to the Eclipse is a tragedy, though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Full Collapse posted:

I had a 4G Eclipse coupe as my first car and trust me that nameplate had nothing to it long before it got turned into an SUV.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Full Collapse posted:

Mitsubishi was sooooo close to greatness in 2005.
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/corporate/pressrelease/corporate/detail1321.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sab669 posted:

Yea I saw that when I went to wiki to check what exactly the model was after I posted my initial comment. Then I saw it was on their USA site.

It's $15K more expensive than the Leaf, and by my guess $0 of that went into the design of it :v:

It's got like 50% more battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Failson posted:

I concur on the Hyundai Staria love. Isn't there already an PHEV version?

No, 3.5l petrol or LPG V6 or 2.2 diesel.