Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

libertarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

Xopods thats a bad way to run tracker imo. I forget when you posted it but I'm pretty sure you tell the tracker who they tracked... That's too strongk.

Podima posted:

Agreed, always leave the opportunity for redirects to be a thing even if they're not in your game.

I agree with this stance if we're talking about a relatively inexperienced mod running a game with mostly stock roles and not much flavor. I've run a lot of games though, and put a lot of thought and effort into making sure they're balanced and that mechanics also make sense with the flavor.

If I was coaching a newbie mod, I'd encourage them to go light flavor early on, use mostly off-the-shelf roles and stick to having things function the "normal" way. But I also think it's both normal and desirable that mods develop their own style. I received plenty of complaints about my early setups, but I eventually found an approach to design that works for me... my games are very different from other mods', but a lot of people seem to like them.

And every game's a little bit different. E.g. the Karens game that I will open this weekend has the feature that the players are 18 copies of the same person. That allows for different types of roles and mechanics than, say, a game like Corona, where everyone is known to each other and is visibly different. And both are different from e.g. Exodus, a game I ran in the old days, where the players were captains of space ships and the actions were all based on using the ships' capabilities rather than "visiting" each other physically.

People can try to figure out a bit about the setup and what might or might not be possible based on the theme and that's fine. It's part of the game when you sign up for one I designed. I account for it, so the game should end up balanced regardless (though obviously I can make mistakes like anyone).

xopods fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 25, 2020

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jen X posted:

Bastardry is its own thing, the scale conflates it with complexity when that’s not really a fair judgment

I could change the top-level descriptor.

The idea of the scale, though, is to give a sense of how safe or unsafe it is to make assumptions about the game. A game that rates 0-4, you could play just having read the Mafia wiki and browsed a few games, and things would work basically like you expect.

Most of my games are in the "Advanced" to "Weird" range, though I think after Karens I might rein myself in and do an Intermediate one. In that range, default Mafia assumptions are probably going to lead you astray, but the game should still "click" at some point, or at least make sense in retrospect. Unless the mod is terrible.

Whereas an "Insane" or "Bastard" is going to tend to force you to reconsider your assumptions many times, possibly every single game day, as there will be fuckery layered upon fuckery.

Obviously there's still variation in individual mod style. A "Xopods 10" is going to gently caress with you in a different way than an "Ecco 10" and that'll be different from a "Cpig 10".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jump King posted:

libertarian
I will stab you with a dull pencil.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I will stab you with a dull pencil.

That’s free speech

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

simple bastard

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Signups for Dark Souls: Prepare to Lie Mafia have opened!

It's a power-heavy game for 17 players.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Against the wall

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Now open for signups!

However, I accidentally posted it in Trad Games, not the Game Room. I'll PM Infi to move it but if that's not the correct course of action please LMK.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure Inf can't move threads, PM Video Games instead.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
can’t believe it’s not 24 karen magic

shakign my misshapen head

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

can’t believe it’s not 24 karen magic

shakign my misshapen head

It was originally going to be 13 Karens and just a normal-sized game, then it grew. Then I realized the Karen/karat joke was possible but by then I'd come along far enough in the setup I didn't want to expand it to 24. As someone who loves puns, this is deeply shameful.

I'll make up for it by running a setup entirely based on puns at some point. That'd be fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Podima posted:

Pretty sure Inf can't move threads, PM Video Games instead.

No I can. It's been moved :slick:

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Infinitum posted:

No I can. It's been moved :slick:

now move you’re LP to a state of being finished

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

now move you’re LP to a state of being finished

Can u not???

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Monathin posted:

simple bastard
I know that, I meant how I run games.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Does anyone remember the game in which I was a scum traitor and NK'd the godfather? I'm wanting to read that again and there's more than 200 mafia games on my votefinder list, so I'm hoping it stuck with someone :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also is anyone going to run a new season of Survivor or PopCon or BB because this is the perfect time to do another social game

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Update on my WhatsApp game if anyone's interested:
-VT player was on 5 (of 6 votes) end of real-day yesterday. Self-votes this real-morning with 14hrs left in the Day
-Now on Night 2 with 9 left before night kill (5 Town, 1 3P and 3 scum)
-Town Doctor is protecting the Scum Rolecop after SRolecop actioned the Doc Night 1, supported Doc's Town claim in D2 and referenced knowing ability. It's also the SRolecop player's 30th birthday today so that probably helped the decision to protect
-Waiting on night kill decision but I think they're going to kill the 3P Recruiter who was blocked yesterday and is planning to recruit the Scum Goon

Scum team have got really lucky with actions but have also made really good plays and reads (for power roles).

Not sure if I said before but I've never modded or even played mafia before, just read games on SA. So I didn't realise that usually Scum are only allowed to communicate outside the game thread during Night phase. I've been letting my Scum team chat whenever. I'm going to stop them from talking outside during the Day phase from Day 3.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teach your players that self hammering is bad.

It deprives remaining town of info, and is generally a werewolf/mafia faux-pa.
If you're town, always fight to survive.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wafflecop posted:

So I didn't realise that usually Scum are only allowed to communicate outside the game thread during Night phase. I've been letting my Scum team chat whenever. I'm going to stop them from talking outside during the Day phase from Day 3.

Generally scum, in online play, can communicate Out Of Thread (OOT) as much as they like; and are not limited to just night phase.
Discord, and formerly Googledocs, are good apps for this purpose.

It's usually only in live games where this comes into play.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Yeah it’s more trouble than it’s worth to limit scumchat when playing online, in my experience.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Having been scum in a game where scum couldn't talk during the day, holy poo poo is it ever stressful for scum. Remember that they're supposed to be the informed minority and build around that, IMO.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
It's not only stressful, it's flat out wrong to do so imo.

Timezones are one hell of a communication killer as is.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Exactly. Limit it in person, sure. But when your team is a guy in Hawaii, a person in New York that only posts five times a game day, a German, and an Aussie then yeah...don’t limit scum chat.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I would say “don’t prevent scum from OOT chat unless there’s a good specific reason to.” xopods’ Coronavirus game was a good example where scum powered up through the game and initially could not communicate out of thread until the first scum team member had died. But that’s the exception, not the rule.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Now that you mention it, I think it was Ecco that ran this game? I was definitely a player in the game though.

The Battle of Bonampak.

It was more an art piece than a mafia game.

===

Asiina posted:

There was an eccogame where merk was a pro-town cult leader who had to be killed before any of the cult recruiters could be killed, but obviously his identity was a secret.

I was scum in that game and for whatever reason every town just believed without question that the cult that said they were pro-town were actually pro-town, so scum didn't have a chance.

Yes, I'm still salty about that one.

The Misery of Madriu.

It was wild to me, too.

===

merk posted:

edit: My favorite Ecco thing was the setup where he had two seemingly independent games going at once. At some point, a great flood occurs where the two games merged together.
Samurai Assassins / Ronin of Rakuen. The merging is here.

The flood game was A Eulogy in Euskara.

quote:

:s: Namacuix, Itzala Laxalt, Revolucionario (scum-aligned goon), has died in the flood. :s:
:s: Scientastic, Handia Oreja, Entzulea (town-aligned watcher), has died in the flood. :s:
:s: walrusonthehill, Ligako Patino, Azti (town-aligned faith healer), has died in the flood. :s:
:s: Fat Turkey, Olaya Razo, Vagabundo Vagante (town-aligned vigilante), has died in the flood. :s:
:s: The Ninth Layer, Jimeno Corrales, Campesino (town-aligned vanilla), has died in the flood. :s:
:s: Senior Spangiel, Agustina Maite, Campesino (town-aligned vanilla), has died in the flood. :s:

===

Retro Futurist posted:

My favourite thing was still the jaguar game ecco did, where Melvin breadcrumbed SCUMHUNTER as VT, and me and I think Fitz and someone else were a 3 person scum team trying to find a 4th, who wound up being dbd who was a suicide bomb and almost immediately killed me and Fitz, taking out 3/4 scum d1
Settlers of Yucatan. Fits hammered himself, ending the game on day 1 with no town deaths.

===

Jump King posted:

Remember Eccos all sk game to decide who makes the new mafia op? I believe the result was the shank 2 thread

Modmageddon.

===
This is one of the most important games I ever ran.

===

Jonathan Fisk posted:

in the spirit of all this ecco appreciation you should all join her game

this one

Yes.

===

Thank you all for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Amnistar made my favorite post ever made in a mafia game:

kaschei posted:

For you to know that a mislynch is worse than prayer, after accepting that it is better than a nolynch, means you must have some definite, sure idea of the minimum power of prayer that tells you that nolynch+pray effect is better than mislynch.

You don't have any definite, sure ideas of the power of prayer at all.

Amnistar posted:

Nope, I have faith.

Happy moon landing. I last posted at the founding of Baltimore. I will not post again.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Retro Futurist posted:

That was Pander, who was the zombie master and not actually in the game.

My favourite thing was still the jaguar game ecco did, where Melvin breadcrumbed SCUMHUNTER as VT, and me and I think Fitz and someone else were a 3 person scum team trying to find a 4th, who wound up being dbd who was a suicide bomb and almost immediately killed me and Fitz, taking out 3/4 scum d1

It was Burger Crime, traitor mafia who didn't know who his scumbuddies were (me and you) and he was a suicide bomber who out of ALL of the people in the game picked out two scum to bomb (me and you) so there were three dead maf on D1 and yeah like Ecco said, fits hammered cause he had no shot lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that was it. Quite a thing.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Oh, look what page we're on! Happy Moon page!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He2kbOadOi8

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

in on moon landing page before it goes away

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

half expected that to go to page 1970 :v:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

George Kansas posted:

Oh, look what page we're on! Happy Moon page!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He2kbOadOi8

It’s also the last four of my phone number :toot:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

chaoslord posted:

It’s also the last four of my phone number :toot:

435-420-1969 we found him

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this thread recently surpassed 1 million views!

which is great because now my phone assumes the viewcount is a phone number and highlights it

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

I would say “don’t prevent scum from OOT chat unless there’s a good specific reason to.” xopods’ Coronavirus game was a good example where scum powered up through the game and initially could not communicate out of thread until the first scum team member had died. But that’s the exception, not the rule.

I think this is a different issue than what's being discussed. I wouldn't have a game where the Scum could only talk during nightphases... it's not just about the time zone issue. Long nights ruin game dynamics and kill player enthusiasm, and not allowing the Scum to discuss the kill beforehand basically guarantees that you're going to have a long night.

Not being able to talk at all until Condition X happens has more "upside" in terms of changing the dynamics in an interesting way, and less downside in terms of player scheduling. However, it's worth noting that even done that way, some people won't like it. It was intentionally stressful as it's supposed to be a disadvantage to make up for the overpowered role Scum gets late game... three of you seemed okay with it, but it's one of the reasons Toalpaz was pissy about the game. They were upset about the mechanic and the lost nightkill N1 and proceeded to lurk and get turbo-bussed by Amni.

xopods fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 27, 2020

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So player A wants to perform an action on player B, but is roleblocked. If a watcher is watching player A, will the result be that they visited player B or that they visited nobody?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Do you mean tracker? A Tracker would see that Player A visited no one, since they've been roleblocked. A Watcher would see that Player A was in fact visited by Players C and D, meaning either of them could be the person who roleblocked Player A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

Happy moon landing. I last posted at the founding of Baltimore. I will not post again.

Aw. :( I like your posts.