Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Calaveron posted:

So like how big is this team and how many legal nerd all stars are in it and why hasn't anything come out of it yet
And I know that if there IS something these dudes are super carefully dotting their i's and crossing their t's because holy hotdang based on the leaky leaks there is a lot of fire to account for all the smoke but come onnnnnn

It took two years for the investigation on Nixon to reach a point that his impeachment was certain.

And personally, I would rather Trump get kicked out of office or his approval ratings tank so low that his reelection is only possible with Russian interference after the 2018 midterm election. The sooner that Trump gets impeaches, then the longer there is for the GOP to pretend they were never associated with him.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I want a Carter/Sanders old as gently caress ticket.

Rebuilding America, one home at a time. Also, we remember Roosevelt.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Star Man 2020!!

Are you 35?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My dream is Trump gets kicked out of office and THEN Mueller delivers the criminal charges

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fart Amplifier posted:

Oh information was released showing the president coordinated with fox to push fake news? OBVIOUSLY THIS PROVES THE FAKE NEWS CORRECT BECAUSE IF IT WASN'T CORRECT PEOPLE WOULDN'T TALK ABOUT IT

a lack of stories about russia meant the russia narrative was dead, but stories about seth rich also mean the seth rich narrative is dead because they're publishing stories about it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't think it's boredom, but there are probably other factors at play here than the allure of white supremacy on its merits. Kids are, by and large, dumb. They're desperate for friendship, validation, and social status. Those that cannot get those things in a typical manner are often willing to accept flawed substitutes.

Last year I worked with a kid with autism, Latino, with undocumented parents, who was befriended by white supremacists while playing payday 2 and then went full MAGA at his overwhelmingly nonwhite high school. It was all attention-seeking behavior and inability to understand his online friends were not actually his friends.

This is what I'm talking about. I don't think these people are the true believers and again doubt how many of them are even old enough to vote.

As a bit of an anecdote, one dumbass kid that got hired under a co-op training program where I work and who just finished his final year of high school literally just puts Pepe the Frog and Trump slogan stickers all over his lovely (albeit vanity license plated ) car alongside Star Wars and Marvel stickers (why this kid puts stickers on his car I don't know, like not on his bumper, on his car where it could strip paint off if removed) and other poo poo teenagers find cool because he thinks it's funny and he sees that stuff on twitter and reddit and wants to "fit in" with the trends and show it off. He doesn't believe in any of this Trump stuff, he doesn't understand it in the slightest and he's not a racist or bad kid, just dumb. We all worry about his future.....

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mustached Demon posted:

Star Man 2020!!

Are you 35?

I won't be 35 until 2022.

But I could run for the House and fight Liz Cheney to the death.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

How about a Shrieking White Hot Sphere of Pure Triggered Libtard SJW Snowflake Rage 2020?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I get the overall point that some kids can be dumb, but I think that it's dangerous to say "just a good kid who fell into a bad crowd" (although that may be true for a few individual cases.) when that crowd is neo-nazis When that crowd is violent and hateful and actively harming minorities. When they're harassing us online, threatening to lynch us, etc. I certainly hope you said something to the poor kid about his "friends".

Kale posted:

I think it's a reactionary thing combined with general stupidity that's common among teens in any era let alone one with access to a constant stream of bullshit from twitter and the like. Not saying Donald Trump didn't tap into that, but I just don't think this is a thing for them into their adult years. Certainly not late adult years.

I think it's naive to assume the majority will grow out of it. That's not how indoctrination works. White supremacists have openly admitted to using reddit as a hunting ground for new members. We on this very forum have plenty of grown rear end adult posters who have and continue to do the dumb poo poo these kids are supposedly going to grow out of.

Kale posted:

Like I said though the Breitbart, Alex Jones, Fox News and RealDonaldTrump as my only source of news fuckers in their adult years I 100% believe are for real and am afraid of. There's definitely a real alt-right movement in America and a possible 35% guaranteed voter base no matter what for Trump is a terrifying prospect even if it just keeps him from getting primaried out if the establishment full on sours on him by 2020.

Agreed!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Your Taint posted:

Trump said that the head of the Boy Scouts called him and thanked him for giving the greatest speech ever made to that organization. The Boy Scouts apologized for the speech, and now upper Boy Scout managment or whatever is pushing back and saying that, surprise, Trump is full of poo poo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-boy-scouts-speech-wsj_us_5980e465e4b02b36343e94dd

There he goes with the line again. You know this poo poo works in countries with dedicated state propaganda as the sole source of news and ideology in getting people to believe that their leader always does the greatest of anything ever (like Trumps all time record breaking in the history of all political rallies....6,000 max capacity rally a couple weeks ago) and where news can be redacted Minitrue style after the fact to coincide with promoting that idealogy, but not so much countries with an unfortunately for Trump still functioning free press.

At the start of the administration this was almost ALMOST kind of believable and looked moderately competent. Like was that bigger than Obama's rally? I don't really know, why would they lie about something that? That lasted for maybe a couple of days and then since the retarded push back against blatant information that disproved the White House's claims about the crowd size and this whole contest literally every single issue no matter how small that it set some sort of record even though it's non statistically plausible it's been full on amateur hour propaganda.

It still gets me just how transparent he is even up today and how Colbert hit it on the head about how there's zero nuance when it comes to Trump and how what something appears to be when it comes to the guy is always exactly what it looks like unless it's something actually good for humanity in any conceivable fashion.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I think Joe Biden should just offer to serve as vice president to whichever dem wins the eventual nomination - it would give a lot of 'experience' cred to any candidate, especially if they're someone that's only been a senator for a few terms. Plus, it would let Joe Biden travel the country dunking on Trump every day while people become increasingly nostalgic for the good ol' days of the stable, boring Obama administration.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Star Man posted:

I won't be 35 until 2022.

But I could run for the House and fight Liz Cheney to the death.

You'd lose my man.

You cannot kill the dead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mustached Demon posted:

You'd lose my man.

You cannot kill the dead.

lol like Dick Cheney would share his undead powers with his children.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

I get the overall point that some kids can be dumb, but I think that it's dangerous to say "just a good kid who fell into a bad crowd" (although that may be true for a few individual cases.) when that crowd is neo-nazis When that crowd is violent and hateful and actively harming minorities. When they're harassing us online, threatening to lynch us, etc. I certainly hope you said something to the poor kid about his "friends".

I think it's naive to assume the majority will grow out of it. That's not how indoctrination works. White supremacists have openly admitted to using reddit as a hunting ground for new members. We on this very forum have plenty of grown rear end adult posters who have and continue to do the dumb poo poo these kids are supposedly going to grow out of.

Agreed!

Oh don't get me wrong I don't think these are all "good kids" falling into a bad crowd. I think by and large the lions share of them are wastes of life that aren't going anywhere in it at all any time soon and that that'll be a crisis in it's own right in the next decade or two when the workforce wonders where any level of competency and competitive drive went. Like I said I think they'll move on to some other more immediately relevant way to express how they want to be wastes of life who think it all doesn't matter. Their manner of looking at life through some nihilistic and disaffected lens isn't going to change at all without some form of intervention and awareness campaign, Trumpism and going on to shitpost Alt-Right sounding rhetoric is just a means to an end for the current moment. A fad for those kids if you will.

To put it another way I think these people just live to shitpost the internet and "get their lulz", this is just the topic right now through which to operate, a template if you will. It could be something else in five years depending on what the issue of the day is they know will rile people up. Sometimes to be honest they seem satisfied to just introduce the hot button issue of the hour into a conversation where it shouldn't have any bearing at all like say talking about a video game and then sitting back and watching others "take sides" and fight out a pointless proxy battle while the rational people wonder what the gently caress they're even on about. It's almost a redefinition of a way of the phrase "forcing the issue".

Now if your saying that you figure these groups would exploit all of the above to genuinely convert them like the Stacy Keach character in American History X then I suppose that's a possibility and won't deny that as a potential thing to be worried about, but on their own I don't think there's any reason to believe they'd naturally grow into that.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 2, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like we have our first blood sacrifice to the 2020 primary.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/892442069553250304

There's some sort of irony that the true MAGAing is done by a black man(lol no women allowed in the penis club, sorry Clinton but prez glass is a smart evolution material that gets stronger after each non fatal impact) after some lovely white guy ruins it.

(Maybe that's why Armstrong has nanos, they make him black)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 2, 2017

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

evilweasel posted:

how republicans are made:

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/892406146170073088

they grow up so unloved that their father would rather finish the chores than bring their child to see a doctor for having part of his finger cut off

So what you're saying is that when Republicans express 'concern' about single mothers/fatherless families amongst african americans and whatnot, they're just projecting their childhoods?

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/01/rex-tillerson-north-korea-talks-donald-trump

Oh poo poo Rex Tillerson is apparently weighing in on North Korea now and reportedly wants to open talks. How quick until Trump opens his mouth undermines any of this being even remotely possible. I mean Tillerson is already contradicting Trumps tweet by saying clearly nothing is on China so Trump has to double down I assume.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

There's some sort of irony that the true MAGAing is done by a black man(lol no women allowed in the penis club, sorry Clinton but prez glass is a smart evolution material that gets stronger after each non fatal impact) after some lovely white guy ruins it.

The gently caress?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/892538640789901312

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Gore / Carter : Hindsight is 20/20

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jimmy Carter is living on some seriously borrowed time, even posting his name on these forums is a huge risk

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

I have no idea what this post means.

I'm feeling old right now.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

:cripes:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

"Just a good kid who fell in with a bad crowd" is bad if it's used to minimize the actual harm that white supremacists inflict. It's not bad if it's used to illustrate the widespread susceptibility of young people to recruitment by white supremacists, emphasizing the threat. It is dumb to assume that people will grow out of it. Maybe they can be educated out of it, though we'd do better to educate vulnerable kids before they're preyed upon. Kids with low emotional intelligence are less likely to have positive peer relationships and are also less likely to understand the emotional impact of their actions on other people e.g. overt racism. They're easy pickings for alt-right predators, and without addressing the skill deficit they're unlikely to recognize the problem.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tatsuta Age posted:

Jimmy Carter is living on some seriously borrowed time, even posting his name on these forums is a huge risk

he's earned every loving minute

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

McCaskill isn't even going to win her own senate seat back.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
I'm not sure if this was posted here yet, but McMagic's favorite senator has a primary challenger.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

"Just a good kid who fell in with a bad crowd" is bad if it's used to minimize the actual harm that white supremacists inflict. It's not bad if it's used to illustrate the widespread susceptibility of young people to recruitment by white supremacists, emphasizing the threat. It is dumb to assume that people will grow out of it. Maybe they can be educated out of it, though we'd do better to educate vulnerable kids before they're preyed upon. Kids with low emotional intelligence are less likely to have positive peer relationships and are also less likely to understand the emotional impact of their actions on other people e.g. overt racism. They're easy pickings for alt-right predators, and without addressing the skill deficit they're unlikely to recognize the problem.

This is a good post. I agree.

Anyway, I apologize to everyone if I am communicating my thoughts/ideas/opinions inefficiently. I just started a new medication and it's making me quite scatterbrained and therefore ineloquent! I am trying my best. :shobon:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
FYI Jimmy Carter was a trash president that was to the right of Bill Clinton on pretty much every issue save foreign policy. Let him build houses.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This discussion reminds me of the difference between treating teens who are wannabe ISIS recruits as adult terrorists or children with huge psychological and social issues. They won't grow out of it they need intense treatment and re-education. And simultaneously ISIS is a repugnant group with a repugnant ideology.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Doctor Butts posted:

The gently caress?

Nanomachines, son.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ITS NOT BECAUSE I AM UNQUALIFIED THAT I DIDN'T MAKE IT TO HARVARD. ITS BECAUSE THEY HATE THE PALENESS OF MY WHITE SKIN!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Imagine if Obama called the White House "a dump"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kale posted:

(the_Donald stuff)

Worth remembering that the number of people actually actively involved in The_Donald appears to be several orders of magnitude lower than their subscriber count would indicate.

For example they routinely spam petitions all over their subreddit (and the various other lovely alt-right subreddits) for weeks and only manage to net a few hundred or thousand signatures.

Probably because the petitions have captchas.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crabtree posted:

ITS NOT BECAUSE I AM UNQUALIFIED THAT I DIDN'T MAKE IT TO HARVARD. ITS BECAUSE THEY HATE THE PALENESS OF MY WHITE SKIN!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tatsuta Age posted:

Seen Bush Sr lately?

Shifty Pony posted:

Worth remembering that the number of people actually actively involved in The_Donald appears to be several orders of magnitude lower than their subscriber count would indicate.

For example they routinely spam petitions all over their subreddit (and the various other lovely alt-right subreddits) for weeks and only manage to net a few hundred or thousand signatures.

Probably because the petitions have captchas.

They thought Reddit admins were making it look like there were 6,000,000 fewer subscribers than there actually were, for some reason.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 2, 2017

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm legit expecting the dude to convene a task force on ethics in games journalism at some point.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jeff Sessions is a real life monster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

"For the last time Jeff, don't wear the hood when the reporters are around!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Seen Bush Sr lately?

Jesus this discussion is making me remember that Trump gets to eulogize a lot of American figures in the next 4 years.

• Locked thread