Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are those actual frame-rate drops I'm seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Of course they are.

Backing Mighty No. 9 is my biggest Kickstarter regret.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mine's is Doobie's Hot Dogs.

i didn't know the tide would turn OK

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Those aren't frame drops, those are single-frame freezes for "impact" when you kill an enemy.
Enter the Gungeon does the same thing. It lets you know when to stop shooting, and makes the kills have more punch to them. But Enter the Gungeon is smart enough to not let it proc for every single enemy in a short time span, because it looks like poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grey Fox posted:

Here thread, have a lame trailer for a kickstarter game experiencing development hell, countless delays, and ever-dwindling expectations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

(Mighty No. 9)

Its a terrible trailer and so belongs in this thread, but I think the game is fun and people are being unfairly harsh on it.

klugman posted:

Mighty Mega Man Lawsuit

Dude, Inafune created MegaMan. Its his character. Capcom owns it, but he was smart enough to stay "similar but legally distinct" so he could make another mega man game.

Which is fair really since its his baby.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude, Inafune created MegaMan
Yes

Zaphod42 posted:

Its his character
No

Zaphod42 posted:

Capcom owns it
Yes

Zaphod42 posted:

he could make another mega man game.
No

Zaphod42 posted:

its his baby.
No

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What sad person wants another megaman game? It's a product of the past and needs to go away, same with sonic. That poo poo aint cool and good anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yes

No

Yes

No

No

lmao are you serious

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

lmao are you serious

Yes. He's also correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvq3Pf3j61c

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So, every now and then I still get suckered into click bait links on facebook because I'm a big loser. Lately these ad festooned pages have evolved from the slideshow egregiousness, and now often on mobile versions force you to move between pages mid-sentence. They're that desperate for page views of their precious ad space. It really makes me wonder how much they gain per single click, and how much their page views aren't resulting in those ad clicks, if they have to now up the bombardment so much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

No poo poo, but I already said that much. That's why he said "yes, no, yes".

And then he cut the context out of another thing I said in bad faith, which completely changed its meaning, so of course the answer to that one was "no", but that wasn't what I said.

If you think Capcom can sue Might Number 5 you should call them up and offer them your lawyer services, but you're completely wrong.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TontoCorazon posted:

What sad person wants another megaman game? It's a product of the past and needs to go away, same with sonic. That poo poo aint cool and good anymore.

People don't want another Mega Man game, they want the warm fuzzy feeling that thinking about playing Mega Man as a kid gives them.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Guy Mann posted:

People don't want another Mega Man game, they want the warm fuzzy feeling that thinking about playing Mega Man as a kid gives them.

And apparently they want it from an ugly, ugly game.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Choco1980 posted:

So, every now and then I still get suckered into click bait links on facebook because I'm a big loser. Lately these ad festooned pages have evolved from the slideshow egregiousness, and now often on mobile versions force you to move between pages mid-sentence. They're that desperate for page views of their precious ad space. It really makes me wonder how much they gain per single click, and how much their page views aren't resulting in those ad clicks, if they have to now up the bombardment so much.

The clickbait market has become saturated to the point where these sites are just making the most profit they possibly can before it all completely dies. The whole clickbait thing is being very quickly replaced with video tutorials now (think "Tasty" where you can make a delicious meal very quickly provided you take the time to sort two dozen ingredients into individual bowls). It won't be too long before nobody bothers with clickbait - even Buzzfeed are repositioning themselves as a legit news outlet, apparently without a hint of irony - and LadBible are just endlessly rehashing Reddit threads.

To be honest I only wrote this reply to bitch about Tasty. I'd wager that for every person who actually used one of their recipes there's several more who clicked through to their site and ended up giving them ad revenue. Which is presumably their plan anyway.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Guy Mann posted:

The guy I know who backed the kickstarter really, reaaaaaally does want another Mega Man game. He still replays the old ones periodically, and has refused to buy anything from capcom since they cancelled Legends 3 (except Mega Man 9 and 10)

Point is, retro gaming is real.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The guy I know who backed the kickstarter really, reaaaaaally does want another Mega Man game. He still replays the old ones periodically, and has refused to buy anything from capcom since they cancelled Legends 3 (except Mega Man 9 and 10)

Point is, retro gaming is real.

Wow I thought I heard that legends was like one of the worst games of all time, how did they make 3 of them?

Maybe I only heard it from grognards.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

darkhand posted:

Wow I thought I heard that legends was like one of the worst games of all time, how did they make 3 of them?

Maybe I only heard it from grognards.

Nah, they're pretty rough, but some people love clunky 3d platformers for some reason, particularly if you can customise your characters armor/weapons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

From what I've seen, Legends really had a lot of charm, which is enough for some people.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

"Has a lot of charm" seems to be the forgiving grace of a lot of the PS1/N64 era looking back at it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

"Has a lot of charm" seems to be the forgiving grace of a lot of the PS1/N64 era looking back at it.

"lot of charm" = I enjoyed playing it as an impressionable kid

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Nah, there's something undeniably charming about early-generation, "we have no idea what to do with this strange new technology" stuff. The bad voice acting and garbage camera control feels more sincere.

And I grew up with actual good video games so I don't think it's nostalgia.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

HellCopter posted:

Nah, there's something undeniably charming about early-generation, "we have no idea what to do with this strange new technology" stuff. The bad voice acting and garbage camera control feels more sincere.

And I grew up with actual good video games so I don't think it's nostalgia.

early stuff is cool because nobody has settled into cliches, people are trying genuinely new things. goes for any medium

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

From what I've seen, Legends really had a lot of charm, which is enough for some people.

It had minor bad guys that started up a successful burger joint to recoup the losses that you made them suffer throughout the game. They do this using money they initially steal from a bank because they don't understand the concept of a loan.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Legends was cool for what it was at the time, an action-rpg/shooter hybrid with a big destructible city as a hub full of optional side quests and a bunch of weapon customization that let you fight through diungeons how you wanted. Considering that at the time it came out most 3rd-person shooters were still just being Tomb Raider clones it had a lot going for it.

It was also anime as gently caress though, right down to having a talking monkey as a sidekick and the recurring villains basically being Team Rocket.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, isn't this the second time something similar has happened? I remember a resort had an "interactive event" which involved "terrorists." So yeah, people are dumb as gently caress

Third if you want to count the idiot garbage they did to market Black Ops 3 by tweeting about a fake terrorist attack.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-live-tweeted-a-fake-terrorist-attack/1100-6431006/

People are sensitive to the idea of terrorism. Who woulda thought?

MisterBibs posted:

I play a decent amount of games on my phone, and while I can't remember the name either, I see both a blurred and unblurred version of this ad all the time.

It's bugging the poo poo out of me what it was called. If you (or someone else) can dig up the game and especially the trailers I'd love to see them.

Edit:
Jesus christ, loving found it. It's called Sword of Chaos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5zYYZpuTbU
That's the regular version in all it's flubber-titted glory. I can't seem to dig up the actual censored version though.

Tracula has a new favorite as of 04:50 on May 27, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

I don't understand why you posted these Cool and Good tweets in the dumb marketing thread?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cumslut1895 posted:

early stuff is cool because nobody has settled into cliches, people are trying genuinely new things. goes for any medium

Well sometimes the early stuff is the stuff that all the cliches are from, if it's good enough.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well sometimes the early stuff is the stuff that all the cliches are from, if it's good enough.

true, like Tolkien

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

I actually think this is loving hilarious

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZkZde9eOJM

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

epsilon posted:

I actually think this is loving hilarious

Well that's because it is.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQQs3nl0LcY

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

:stare: "Coloured is better"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
China has no original content.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Oh wow, this reminds me of something I read. I took a seminar on fetish theory and one of the books we read was Anne McClintock's Imperial Leather: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in the Colonial Contest. If you have an interest in commodity fetishism or colonial history or really anything I highly recommend it. Anyway, one of the chapters focuses heavily on soap advertising in the colonial era and the adverts' use of race as well as their erasure of women and their domestic labor. I have a couple poor photos that I might replace later when I go to the library to return some books.

TEXT: The consumption of soap is a measure of the wealth, civilization, health, and purity of the people"

So the racialization of soap and cleanliness is, obviously, not anything new. I am really shocked by how similar the Chinese ad is to that Pears soap ad. But I am not sure what is more interesting, that, or the Italian version of the ad.

Anyway, the chapter on soap is chapter 5. The whole book is fascinating though.

Edit: Obviously I realize the cultural context between the Pears soap ad and the Chinese detergent is not exactly the same, but the similarity in the ads I think is still really interesting.

alpha_destroy has a new favorite as of 05:19 on May 30, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That was a really cool lesson in history, thank you

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
It was many, many pages ago, but I have the Answer to the generic vs. name brand cereal argument. I worked at a Kelloggs plant for awhile. Yes, it is the same cereal. The difference is that the name brand stuff is produced and packaged in the same facility. Name brand corn flakes, frosted flakes and mini wheats are made and packaged in the same facility. It's processed and then packaged all in the same place.

The generic brands are exactly the same but instead of being packaged as Kelloggs brand stuff, the conveyor belt is diverted and it dumps the cereal into giant plastic lined boxes that are shipped away to other facilities where they are boxed into the generic store brands.

So, yes the store brand cereal is the same stuff. But it tastes different because it's been let to go a little stale in a giant bin. The name brand goes straight off the line and into the box very fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It still tastes like sugary poo poo, though.