Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dragonstoned posted:

It's a shame Sam wasn't around for that Daggerheart game either (was hoping to see him again) but I read he is busy working on the animated series

Hope he comes back to the table soon

Where did you read that? I'm honestly a little worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
He said see you in campaign 4...

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Travic posted:

Where did you read that? I'm honestly a little worried.

Reddit, so it's probs bullshit - There is also speculation he might drop his new char at their next live show?

They are heading up to Aeor, so maybe he'll be another robot?

Pretty crazy ending to the last ep :stare:

Chetney's response to grim psychometry on the murder blade :lol:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dragonstoned posted:

Chetney's response to grim psychometry on the murder blade :lol:

It's not cursed I'm goin back to bed. Good luck :corsair:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i fell asleep during the shopping spree so it looks like i missed some stuff :eyepop:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
LMAO oh yeah.

Marisha was doing a great acting job in a completely thankless role and situation tbh.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I don't know, I just feel like the whole thing was just so poorly handled and ive lost any empathy I've had for Laudna, and basically anyone attempting to take her side.

The "I didn't want to hurt him" excuses falls apart on any amount of inspection. Orym is completely and unabashedly 100% justified in lashing out because Laudna straight ambushed him in a way that completely takes away his ability to coherently understand what was happening. He awoke from a dead slumber under attack and blinded, only able to hear skittering and the chanting of spells. While they are marked for death by a villain who's signature move thus far was magically ambushing them out of nowhere.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because if this wasn't like a crew of professional friends, that is the exact sort of obnoxious "it's what my character would do!" chaotic-rear end in a top hat move you'd see that guy pull at a bad home game.

There's to much going on for the party to have another extended sidequest to put Delilah back in her place. Again.

I just don't know how these characters can justify being around each other anymore.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 20, 2024

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Quite is not edit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't know, I just feel like the whole thing was just so poorly handled and ive lost any empathy I've had for Laudna, and basically anyone attempting to take her side.

The "I didn't want to hurt him" excuses falls apart on any amount of inspection. Orym is completely and unabashedly 100% justified in lashing out because Laudna straight ambushed him in a way that completely takes away his ability to coherently understand what was happening. He awoke from a dead slumber under attack and blinded, only able to hear skittering and the chanting of spells. While they are marked for death by a villain who's signature move thus far was magically ambushing them out of nowhere.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because if this wasn't like a crew of professional friends, that is the exact sort of obnoxious "it's what my character would do!" chaotic-rear end in a top hat move you'd see that guy pull at a bad home game.

There's to much going on for the party to have another extended sidequest to put Delilah back in her place. Again.

I just don't know how these characters can justify being around each other anymore.

sounds like critical role has finally become an accurate representation of real d&d games

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Laudna was gaslighting Orym for defending himself, just like Delilah was gaslighting Laudna into acting to steal/absorb the blade - the cycle of abuse

Also, it's funny that this is the second time they had a big "group turmoil" moment just as they are about to set off on a harrowing mission

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dragonstoned posted:

Laudna was gaslighting Orym for defending himself, just like Delilah was gaslighting Laudna into acting to steal/absorb the blade - the cycle of abuse

Also, it's funny that this is the second time they had a big "group turmoil" moment just as they are about to set off on a harrowing mission

Chetney regretfully rolls the "Days since last PVP" sign back to 0

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Delilah is booooooooooring. She does not have the charisma to justify never dying

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Farg posted:

Delilah is booooooooooring. She does not have the charisma to justify never dying

Delilah, like most campaign 1 villains, is a pretty stock character. She doesn't have a lot of depth, but her manipulation of Laudna may be the most interesting that I have found the character. I mean it is very clear that Delilah means to take over Laudna's body, so watching Laudna slowly get gaslit and manipulated into destroying herself is kind of frustrating. But that's the character. And from the way that Marisha talks about Laudna I'm not sure that she intends for Laudna to have a happy ending or not.

Also, these players love having this sort of drama. At most D&D tables what Marisha did would be a big faux pas, but these chucklefucks just love taking swings at each other.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

sweet geek swag posted:

At most D&D tables what Marisha did would be a big faux pas

You talk about PvP/no PvP at a session 0, so that it's not a faux pas.

Conflict averse nerds flinching at people role playing a confrontation happens a lot but if you just communicate with your group it's really not a big deal.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Flakey posted:

You talk about PvP/no PvP at a session 0, so that it's not a faux pas.

Conflict averse nerds flinching at people role playing a confrontation happens a lot but if you just communicate with your group it's really not a big deal.

Right, and that is my point. I've seen a lot of online criticism of what happened here and I think it's largely off base. The Critical Role cast absolutely love it when this crazy poo poo happens. Each table has unique dynamics, and this was definitely fun to watch.

But on the other hand this only works because none of them are 'that guy.' At most tables I've been at there would either be someone who would take this happening very personally if they were in Orym's shoes, or who would take it way too far if they were in Laudna's.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

sweet geek swag posted:

But that's the character. And from the way that Marisha talks about Laudna I'm not sure that she intends for Laudna to have a happy ending or not.

That's been several characters so far with only Sam "succeeding" at making a character that only exists to die tragically. Everyone else gets to live to see the rest of the table fight for their survival

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DarklyDreaming posted:

That's been several characters so far with only Sam "succeeding" at making a character that only exists to die tragically. Everyone else gets to live to see the rest of the table fight for their survival

Oh campaign 3 has been a race to see who could kill their character off first. Travis is actively trying to kill Chetney, Taliesin made a really good effort at killing Ashton with the shard, Ashley's Fearne walks into every obvious trap, and Laura makes sure to poke the bear that is her telepathic connection to Predathos on a regular basis. Aside from Orym and Dorian they all seem to have a death wish.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

sam is probably the only one at the table who is good at dynamic character writing

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Flakey posted:

The cooldown for C3e95 makes it very clear the rest of the table loved what Marisha did and they are absolutly down with this kind of drama. I dont really see the issue if the rest of the table didnt have any.

Also it was real good to watch but thats just me. I'm sure at a table with a different dynamic it would be bad but CR isnt that table

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

"only need to beat a 15"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

sweet geek swag posted:

Oh campaign 3 has been a race to see who could kill their character off first. Travis is actively trying to kill Chetney, Taliesin made a really good effort at killing Ashton with the shard, Ashley's Fearne walks into every obvious trap, and Laura makes sure to poke the bear that is her telepathic connection to Predathos on a regular basis. Aside from Orym and Dorian they all seem to have a death wish.

And before that you had Caleb who thought "I'm dead in a year or I invent time travel, either way why should I give a poo poo about everything else?" for the first 30 or so episodes of C2, alongside Beau who at minimum had dialog indicating suicidal ideation for a lot longer. Before all them though was Percy who Taliesin has made very clear was written to be Orthax Chow from the beginning but got talked down from the ledge at the last second

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont really see the issue if the rest of the table didnt have any.

the missed point of like 90% of actual play podcast drama

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

Delilah, like most campaign 1 villains, is a pretty stock character. She doesn't have a lot of depth, but her manipulation of Laudna may be the most interesting that I have found the character. I mean it is very clear that Delilah means to take over Laudna's body, so watching Laudna slowly get gaslit and manipulated into destroying herself is kind of frustrating. But that's the character. And from the way that Marisha talks about Laudna I'm not sure that she intends for Laudna to have a happy ending or not.

Also, these players love having this sort of drama. At most D&D tables what Marisha did would be a big faux pas, but these chucklefucks just love taking swings at each other.

FCG was specifically designed to go murderbot on the party at some point.

It’s interesting in part because it isn’t clear Laudna is wrong: if they had Delilah instead of Laudna for the upcoming fights, they’d have a better chance of winning. That doesn’t mean Delilah won’t double-cross them later; it’s not clear she has much interest in preserving the gods. But Laudna’s feelings of inadequacy coupled with her reliance on Delilah for power are driving her in a dangerous direction.

If she has the option, I’d expect Delilah to take over Imogen’s body, not Laudna’s. She’d still have influence over Laudna and killing her would mean killing Imogen, she could try to manipulate Imogen’s mother, and she might even try to drain Predathos for power. I don’t think any of that ends well, but she’s always been overcomfident.

If Laudna doesn’t get a tragic ending, it will be because the other PCs find a way to avoid it; Marisha is clearly taking her story that way unless there’s some serious intervention, and frankly, I think everyone in the group is too afraid to risk throwing away any advantage, however untrustworthy Delilah may be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Narsham posted:

FCG was specifically designed to go murderbot on the party at some point.

It’s interesting in part because it isn’t clear Laudna is wrong: if they had Delilah instead of Laudna for the upcoming fights, they’d have a better chance of winning. That doesn’t mean Delilah won’t double-cross them later; it’s not clear she has much interest in preserving the gods. But Laudna’s feelings of inadequacy coupled with her reliance on Delilah for power are driving her in a dangerous direction.

If she has the option, I’d expect Delilah to take over Imogen’s body, not Laudna’s. She’d still have influence over Laudna and killing her would mean killing Imogen, she could try to manipulate Imogen’s mother, and she might even try to drain Predathos for power. I don’t think any of that ends well, but she’s always been overcomfident.

If Laudna doesn’t get a tragic ending, it will be because the other PCs find a way to avoid it; Marisha is clearly taking her story that way unless there’s some serious intervention, and frankly, I think everyone in the group is too afraid to risk throwing away any advantage, however untrustworthy Delilah may be.

I do think Delilah would take over Imogen if she could, but I'm not sure she even can attempt to do so, the magic that binds her to Laudna seems pretty specific. She might say she can have another vessel, but, you know, it's Delilah.

I do know that Imogen, Orym, Dorian and Ashton will do everything in their power to keep Laudna from being taken over. Imogen for obvious reasons, Orym because of his connection to Keyleth, Dorian because of what happened to Opal, and Ashton because he doesn't want to lose another friend. Chetney and Fearne might consider something else, but I don't think they would go against the rest of the party. And we have no idea what Sam's eventual new character is going to do, or what happens if the members of Vox Machina discover that Delilah is so close to being back.

And yeah, Marisha is absolutely fully committing to the Delilah bit, so it will be on the others to save her.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

AngryBooch posted:

LMAO oh yeah.

Marisha was doing a great acting job in a completely thankless role and situation tbh.

It's been a good acting job, sure, but an unpleasant character is still, well, unpleasant to watch.

I feel like Laudna is turning into a full-blown narcissist. The only feelings which matter are her feelings. The only pain which matters is her pain. Everything she does is justified, going against her is an cruel attack. She has the right to take things if she wants them, other people can't have things if she doesn't want them to have those things.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's been a good acting job, sure, but an unpleasant character is still, well, unpleasant to watch.

I feel like Laudna is turning into a full-blown narcissist. The only feelings which matter are her feelings. The only pain which matters is her pain. Everything she does is justified, going against her is an cruel attack. She has the right to take things if she wants them, other people can't have things if she doesn't want them to have those things.

Yes, that is Delilah Briarwood's personality.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah, but at the same time, it's not just "any old item" is it? It's the blade that killed her dead and she really wanted revenge on Otohan for murdering her. She wasn't able to get that in the end, so she looks for the next best thing, the sword. (She is also being manipulated by an evil arch wizard living in her head)

Orym has his own issues with the blade because it's killed a bunch of his loved ones, which kind of blinded him to the fact that other people in the group may not be too happy with him sticking it on his back and parading around in front of them. Also, he didn't talk to anyone about having it, he just grabbed it off Cheney during the craft session, practised with it for a bit outside and then glued it to his back with vines (because Liam 100% knew what Launda wanted to do)

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Only by completing the transformation into Sailor Laudna, Defender of Friendships, can she hope to defeat Delilah and treasure her friendships again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

sweet geek swag posted:

Yes, that is Delilah Briarwood's personality.

Which Laudna is enabling and thus becoming more like Delilah.

Dragonstoned posted:

Yeah, but at the same time, it's not just "any old item" is it? It's the blade that killed her dead and she really wanted revenge on Otohan for murdering her. She wasn't able to get that in the end, so she looks for the next best thing, the sword. (She is also being manipulated by an evil arch wizard living in her head)

Everyone has or had a grudge against Otohan. Laudna's grudge is not unique (not even being killed by that blade). Yes, Laudna is being manipulated, but she's also enabling Delilah and has apparently decided based on absolutely nothing that Delilah is totally trustworthy and couldn't possibly be lying to manipulate her for her own reasons... again.

Dragonstoned posted:

Orym has his own issues with the blade because it's killed a bunch of his loved ones, which kind of blinded him to the fact that other people in the group may not be too happy with him sticking it on his back and parading around in front of them. Also, he didn't talk to anyone about having it, he just grabbed it off Cheney during the craft session, practised with it for a bit outside and then glued it to his back with vines (because Liam 100% knew what Launda wanted to do)

If they wanted to object to Orym wearing the blade, they had a great chance to do so when he came back wearing it. Liam wasn't under any obligation to tell the table the details of what Liam had decided Orym was going to do in his outside roleplaying scene in advance.

There was literally a two-episode session about the party rebuilding their teamwork and communication 15-ish episodes ago. This was not good communication.

I don't believe in any way that Liam "100% knew what Launda wanted to do," because I don't believe that the show is scripted (that's the only way to "100% know").

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Everyone has or had a grudge against Otohan. Laudna's grudge is not unique (not even being killed by that blade).

Laudna was dead for a lot longer than the others (who were up again within 60 seconds with revivify) I don't think we can really say how traumatising such an experience would be for someone or how they would feel about seeing their friend wearing the weapon that killed them, without even speaking to them about it first

If they wanted to object to Orym wearing the blade, they had a great chance to do so when he came back wearing it. Liam wasn't under any obligation to tell the table the details of what Liam had decided Orym was going to do in his outside roleplaying scene in advance.

Taliesin mentioned in the aftershow that Ashton wanted to have a conversation about it when he saw Orym walk in with it (and looks like Laura and Ashley agreed because it was a bit hosed up) but they didn't get a chance because it already triggered Laudna

I don't believe in any way that Liam "100% knew what Launda wanted to do," because I don't believe that the show is scripted (that's the only way to "100% know").

She had spoken about wanting to absorb it - If he didn't suspect she'd try, then he wouldn't have vine grafted the thing to himself at all

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dragonstoned posted:

Laudna was dead for a lot longer than the others (who were up again within 60 seconds with revivify) I don't think we can really say how traumatising such an experience would be for someone or how they would feel about seeing their friend wearing the weapon that killed them, without even speaking to them about it first

Taliesin mentioned in the aftershow that Ashton wanted to have a conversation about it when he saw Orym walk in with it (and looks like Laura and Ashley agreed because it was a bit hosed up) but they didn't get a chance because it already triggered Laudna

We saw the conversation Lauda had with Delilah before she tried to take it. The end of the episode made it pretty clear it was about making Laudna stronger by making Delilah stronger, the weapon was an excuse. Laudna went for the weapon immediately after Delilah said "you want more power, then you should give me more." Laudna did that, Delilah wasn't in control of the body.

If people wanted a conversation about the weapon, they could do so. Stealing from a party member in the middle of the night is the wrong approach, trauma or not, especially given the context of having already had an extensive sequence dedicated to a series of party trust-building exercises in the recent past. After things went south, Laudna had multiple chances to de-escalate and continued going for the weapon instead. Without an intervention of some kind, Laudna is almost certainly going to do it again. What will be the excuse for the next time?

Dragonstoned posted:

She had spoken about wanting to absorb it - If he didn't suspect she'd try, then he wouldn't have vine grafted the thing to himself at all

I don't recall her speaking about wanting to absorb it, so perhaps Liam also missed/forgot that. You are claiming to be a mind-reader and that you read Liam's mind and know his precise motivations.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 23, 2024

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

We saw the conversation Lauda had with Delilah before she tried to take it. The end of the episode made it pretty clear it was about making Laudna stronger by making Delilah stronger, the weapon was an excuse. Laudna went for the weapon immediately after Delilah said "you want more power, then you should give me more." Laudna did that, Delilah wasn't in control of the body.

If people wanted a conversation about the weapon, they could do so. Stealing from a party member in the middle of the night is the wrong approach, trauma or not, especially given the context of having already had an extensive sequence dedicated to a series of party trust-building exercises in the recent past. After things went south, Laudna had multiple chances to de-escalate and continued going for the weapon instead. Without an intervention of some kind, Laudna is almost certainly going to do it again. What will be the excuse for the next time?

She went for it believing it could be an evil intelligent weapon that would corrupt Orym and thinking she could grab it and use it to instead get valuable information from Delilah. When she got caught, things turned bad and that was arguably a better outcome for Delilah.

What I was waiting for and didn’t get was someone pointing out to Laudna that for all the pain the sword caused, Delilah caused more pain, including murdering Laudna herself because she somewhat resembled someone else Delilah didn’t like. She murdered Laudna to make someone else feel bad! The problem is that Laudna thinks she needs Delilah as she’s otherwise totally inadequate to fight Ludinas.

What this party really needs is to talk through its own inadequacies as a group. If Sam comes in with another aormaton, there’s a chance we’ll get that. Maybe FCG 2.0, now with less murderbot? “I come to you now, at the turn of the Tide. And that’s be the laundry detergent, Tide, which sponsored this character revival!”

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Which Laudna is enabling and thus becoming more like Delilah.

I don't think we're in disagreement. I think Delilah is shaping Laudna to be more like her so she can hide when she does take over. She's a worshipper of Vecna, lies and secrets are her thing.

Dragonstoned posted:

The vines were because he didn't have a sheathe, not to stop anyone from taking the sword. Matt could have easily ruled that they didn't impede Laudna at all, because Druidcraft is a fairly limited cantrip, there was no way for Liam to know how Matt would rule on that.

Orym's behavior was a bit self-centered, but of all the characters he has indulged his own interests the least in favor of the rest of the group's. He deserves a little grace from the group that the others haven't really earned.

Narsham posted:

She went for it believing it could be an evil intelligent weapon that would corrupt Orym and thinking she could grab it and use it to instead get valuable information from Delilah. When she got caught, things turned bad and that was arguably a better outcome for Delilah.

What I was waiting for and didn’t get was someone pointing out to Laudna that for all the pain the sword caused, Delilah caused more pain, including murdering Laudna herself because she somewhat resembled someone else Delilah didn’t like. She murdered Laudna to make someone else feel bad! The problem is that Laudna thinks she needs Delilah as she’s otherwise totally inadequate to fight Ludinas.

What this party really needs is to talk through its own inadequacies as a group. If Sam comes in with another aormaton, there’s a chance we’ll get that. Maybe FCG 2.0, now with less murderbot? “I come to you now, at the turn of the Tide. And that’s be the laundry detergent, Tide, which sponsored this character revival!”

Well, I think Laudna thinks she needs Delilah to live. But considering that she was resurrected by the power of a god, that is probably not true anymore, if it ever was.

Also FCG 2.0 is a distinct possibility, but that will entirely depend on what Sam wants to do. He's big into living with his consequences, so he might not be inclined that way.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm a bit exhausted of the group mistrust and infighting right before we go on a juicy lore-filled journey but at the same time it's a dangling plot thread that should probably get wrapped up before they commit to the final acts. i dunno, its a tough line to walk

i know matt mentioned wanting robbie to come back for the endgame but i guess FCG going hero mode expedited that so maybe we're not as close to the end as i thought

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Narsham posted:

She believed it could be an evil intelligent weapon because she decided that Delilah was totally being honest and telling the truth, despite there literally being a history of Delilah lying to Laudna so she could get her hands on an item to suck its power out. Despite Bells Hells traveling together and bonding, and falling in love with Imogen, and despite Deliliah literally killing her and mutilating her body, Lauda still somehow has far more trust for Delilah than she does for the Bells Hells.

Narsham posted:

I can't imagine Sam coming in with a backup character which would essentially be "this is [Dead previous character]'s long-lost twin brother." The idea of returning as another aeomaton sounds incredibly boring and lame to me, and I know Sam can be more creative than that.

Joey McChrist posted:

i'm a bit exhausted of the group mistrust and infighting right before we go on a juicy lore-filled journey but at the same time it's a dangling plot thread that should probably get wrapped up before they commit to the final acts. i dunno, its a tough line to walk

i know matt mentioned wanting robbie to come back for the endgame but i guess FCG going hero mode expedited that so maybe we're not as close to the end as i thought

This isn't a case of group mistrust, it's Laudna deciding that she trusts Delilah more than the group - so much so that she will act against the group without even trying to talk first.

Matt said as much on the last 4-sided dive, that he was hoping to bring Robbie back "later in the campaign," which by implication means that the campaign isn't that close to the end.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Narsham posted:

“I come to you now, at the turn of the Tide. And that’s be the laundry detergent, Tide, which sponsored this character revival!”

"You thought this was a masterfully-crafted and emotional character moment. Nope, Tide ad."

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Watch Sam roll up Kiri the Stripper just to mess with everyone.

I still think he'll go with a paladin of some sort (possibly Relorian?) or possibly bring back Luc.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://x.com/VoiceOfOBrien/status/1791358086441226291

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Professor Moriarty posted:

I still think he'll go with a paladin of some sort (possibly Relorian?) or possibly bring back Luc.

If he's bringing back characters, he should play Bolo for the rest of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

not pictured: the knife against his back