Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Verviticus posted:

he was also a guest in tng playing the exact same character but with the name changed because his crime was 'too great for rehabilitation' as per the writing staff of voyager. literally, tom paris was supposed to be the guy that got that cadet killed with wesley

edit: has any star trek actor said after its all said and done that they actually liked doing the technobabble stuff

Yeah, when I go back and watch The First Duty now I just mentally replace his character's original name with Tom Paris. I just go "gently caress it, that's Tom Paris. Shut up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Verviticus posted:

he was also a guest in tng playing the exact same character but with the name changed because his crime was 'too great for rehabilitation' as per the writing staff of voyager. literally, tom paris was supposed to be the guy that got that cadet killed with wesley

edit: has any star trek actor said after its all said and done that they actually liked doing the technobabble stuff

That reason was clearly bullshit, but also the “didn’t want to pay the original writer of The First Duty for every episode” excuse got debunked too, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Verviticus posted:

Dunno if he liked it at the time, but Robert Picardo's been doing recitations of technobabble on Youtube lately.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

HD DAD posted:

That reason was clearly bullshit, but also the “didn’t want to pay the original writer of The First Duty for every episode” excuse got debunked too, right?

Yeah - 'The First Duty' was written by the TNG writers room as opposed to a freelancer, so Nick Locarno would be their property to use how they choose.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJ7eGoTu80&t=6318s

edit: the embed is hosed up i guess, doh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YouTube is down across the globe right now.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

YouTube is down across the globe right now.

ahh.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Dunno if he liked it at the time, but Robert Picardo's been doing recitations of technobabble on Youtube lately.

Picardo also did a bunch of stargate and some other stuff that's doesn't come straight to mind, so he has a long career of having to recite this stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It seems like Star Trek productions are always plagued with dubious rumors of people being dissatisfied with the show. Kind of makes you think somebody in management was paranoid and it set a bad tone. I watched DS9's "Life Support" last night, and apparently they almost killed off O'Brien instead of Bareil because there were rumors of him wanting to leave, which turned out to be unsubstantiated. Gosh that would've been a disaster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So we were robbed of O’Brien getting his brain replaced with positronic implants?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So we were robbed of O’Brien getting his brain replaced with positronic implants?

As fun as Robo'brien could've been, the plan was always for the character to die at the end of the episode (originally it was a nameless diplomat negotiating for some other treaty)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DS9 has the only show which didn't have a main cast member with an alien understanding of emotions, Mecha-O'Brien could have been his show's Spock or Seven giving the 'feelings are irrational' spiel!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, when I go back and watch The First Duty now I just mentally replace his character's original name with Tom Paris. I just go "gently caress it, that's Tom Paris. Shut up."

I just no-prize it that he went by a different name at the academy because he didn’t want the expectations that came with being the son of an admiral.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

multijoe posted:

DS9 has the only show which didn't have a main cast member with an alien understanding of emotions, Mecha-O'Brien could have been his show's Spock or Seven giving the 'feelings are irrational' spiel!
Odo was the closest to that, but I agree

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Odo had a surfeit of emotions, they were just nearly all to do with being a prick

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He also has the same reaction to seeing Kira with another dude as a stunted middle school nerd seeing his crush hold hands with someone else in the hallway.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

I just no-prize it that he went by a different name at the academy because he didn’t want the expectations that came with being the son of an admiral.

worked for Beckett Mariner

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I remember my more goony early twenties self relating to Odo's struggle with Kira but my empathy nose dived with each rewatch as I got older. In contrast, Odo and Quark only get better each time.

I also remember my younger self finding the Dominion war really badass - especially the S7 arc. It still has its moments but now I find most of the huge battles kinda boring and also jarring with how the ships are made of paper. I still love DS9 but now it's all about episodes that really leverage the setting and exceptionally strong cast of supporting characters.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

multijoe posted:

Is this the feeling that humans call....agonizing torment?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
DS9's space battles were novel at the time because Star Trek had never done anything like that before, and the show had the benefit of years and years of other Star Trek material and model work essentially building up to those action pieces; seeing CGI Miranda's get one-shotted wouldn't have had the impact it did if we hadn't have seen those ships tooling around for ages on TNG and in the movies.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
odo and kira together grossed me out, i hated that storyline

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe I can't stop seeing it with my childhood's eyes but I thought the space battles held up pretty well on my last rewatch, the composite special effects look way better than alot of full CGI TV stuff from a decade later

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought Locarno had an admiral dad too? Or was it the kid that died?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Humerus posted:

I thought Locarno had an admiral dad too? Or was it the kid that died?

The father of the kid who died was in Starfleet, but I don't think he was an admiral. I don't think Locarno's parents are mentioned in the episode.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

multijoe posted:

Maybe I can't stop seeing it with my childhood's eyes but I thought the space battles held up pretty well on my last rewatch, the composite special effects look way better than alot of full CGI TV stuff from a decade later

It's not just you - I think the effects do hold up surprisingly well. They're obviously old but not in a way that pulls me out of the show. But I might also be suffering from nostalgia.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hell, the model work in Emissary at Wolf 359 still holds up incredibly well. That was pretty :aaa: in 1993.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's still the case that seeing a real thing explode even it's it's a clearly a model is better looking than seeing a not-real thing explode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZlRt05RY9Y

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shofixti posted:

It's not just you - I think the effects do hold up surprisingly well. They're obviously old but not in a way that pulls me out of the show. But I might also be suffering from nostalgia.

Helps that DS9 and early Voyager were among the last times we saw big budget model work like that on TV and it was the peak of the art form. Whereas with CGI it's continued to get better over the last couple of decades. Helps as well that the CGI ships they had were made to try and look like models rather than chasing realism.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

This owns

Clearly a labour of love. Going to get baked tonight and give this a watch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jimllpaintit/status/1326946316941987851?s=21

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I appreciate that they went with Mariachi band Q and not Judge Q.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like the cameo from the corridor outside Bev's office window

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Slumfrog posted:

Is this the feeling that humans call....agonizing torment?
The Klingons call it...Bij.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The exasperated Picard and Riker makes it perfect.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

This is loving amazing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

He's matching the trad cards pretty well, and Judgement has a horn!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Now I'm picturing Barclay as The Hermit and Data as The Fool.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The_Other posted:

Now I'm picturing Barclay as The Hermit and Data as The Fool.

I have Data pegged as the Hanged Man.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A.o.D. posted:

I have Data pegged as the Hanged Man.

it's hung and no, he's doing the pegging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, I recently started watching Enterprise, and just finished the episode Cogenitor, and I might have to stop watching it. I saw VitalSigns mention it in this thread a couple of years ago and have the same sort of reaction, but goddamn, I feel like I'm missing something, here.

Like, the cogenitors are very clearly just sex slaves. And they're dehumanized in some ways that go even farther than America did: they're not allowed to have loving music, and they don't even have loving names. Like, holy gently caress, that's incredibly hosed. And I'm not saying I expect the Enterprise to, like, insist on leading a revolution or whatever... but everyone treats Trip like he's the crazy one for saying "hey, maybe keeping 3% of their population as sex slaves isn't great?" And it's not like the aliens aren't open to dialogue or anything; they read the complete works of Shakespeare and part of Sophocles overnight. Maybe, just, like, give them some histories of America in the pre-civil-war era, ask if they see any parallels? Maybe when talking about asylum, mention to the aliens that if the cogenitor goes back, there's a good chance they're going to explain to other cogenitors what they're missing? Like, of loving course the cogenitor committed suicide, that was utterly loving predictable.

And gently caress, when the cogenitor commits suicide, Archer does not even for one second go "oh, hey, it's a real shame their culture is such a loving hellworld." Nope, it's all Trip's fault for making the cogenitor realize what they were missing out on. Archer is a loving monster. An Phlox literally the episode before talks about not speaking to his son for a decade over his son's refusal to treat an alien race as equal, but doesn't even bother to acknowledge that maybe sex slavery is wrong?

I cannot loving understand how an episode directed by Kunta Kinte went so far wrong. Like, I guess I read a few of the reviews, and sort of get what they were going for on the "cultural interference is bad," but we're talking about a more developed culture, not a less-developed one, and I don't see it as "cultural interference" to let a single person choose to not want to live in a joyless hellscape of endless rape and chattel slavery.

EDIT: Like, I guess I was expecting the normal Star Trek resolution of "well, we can't condone what they're doing, and they're terrible for doing it, but we have noninterference policies for a reason," but at this point they don't even have those loving policies, and they're just... okay with it. Like, just doing a normal sex slavery thing, what wrong?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 14, 2020