Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I've been fighting adhd my entire life. I was diagnosed in 6th grade but refused to take Ritalin. Now at 34 my ability to white knuckle and bs my way through life isn't keeping up with the increasing complexity and stakes of a career and family. There are times where I set out to do something I don't really want to do and mind will immediately start to wander without me even realizing it. I'll zone out, start something else, procrastinate, find reasons not to do it etc etc. Then I'll snap out of it and try again with the same results over and over. I forget stuff because I can't pay enough attention to adsorb it in the first place. It's gotten to be a real issue at work.

My old Dr retired 7? years ago so I found a new one. I went in the other day, chatted for 15 minutes, did a quick physical and blood draw, and walked out with a vyvanse script.

It felt kind of weird, like I was trying to talk my way into some fun pills even though I have zero intention to abuse and have a legitimate need. I was surprised at how easy it was.

I'm on day 3 and so far things seem really good. I feel like I can actually function. It's amazing actually being able to choose to focus on a task and just.. do it. I've never had that ability before and it's always made me feel different from other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The medication really does make an incredible difference, doesn't it? The stigma against it is kind of hosed.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
Hi. This thread has been very informative, and made me more determined to help my son.

I have a 15-year old son who I always knew had adhd-inattentive type, but deluded myself into thinking that “it’s not that bad; he’ll grow out of it.” When he was in 7th grade, his English teacher brought it to my attention that he may benefit from medical attention. She had a college-age son who was just like my kid, and was concerned. I spoke to my pediatrician, who had me and his dad, as well as all of his core subject teachers at school, fill out questionnaires. No surprise , he checked off all the boxes leading to a diagnosis. He was prescribed ritalin 10mg, which was titrated up to 20mg. My son hated taking the med, especially the appetite-suppression it caused. We worked around it by eating a big breakfast, then a big late lunch when he came home from school, and a later dinner. The medication would wear out by 3pm, so homework was a struggle.

He was limping along, getting B’s and C’s through the rest of middle school. Attending school remotely for his first year of high school due to the pandemic did not go well, as you can imagine. He refused to take his meds, stating he didn’t see the point as he was home. (yeah, makes no sense,but he is a teenager)

I have tried for years to help him get organized with planners, whiteboards, timers, post-its, verbal reminders—over and over and over,, but he doesn’t take to any of it. I’m sure some of it is developmental, being a teen boy. At this age, he doesn’t pay attention to what Mom says. I finally gave up trying to be his math tutor, because we kept arguing, and hired one to teach him via zoom, and his algebra grade went from a D+ to a B+ this semester.

It’s been a very exhausting year of being stuck at home together. He has a twin sister who is neurotypical, and even though I know I shouldn’t compare them or expect them to be similar, it freaks me out when I see her doing well in school and managing her schedule and he is not. Last week I received an email from school that she made honor roll (4.0) and another email that he has to take summer remediation for the two D’s he received.

I have enrolled him in a one-on-one summer school class to remediate the poor grades he received this school year. It is expensive, but his teacher told me he would not get much out of the school district’s summer school. He is surrounded by high-achievers, and he tells me he wants to do well. He is such a nice, lovely kid, and I want to do whatever I can to help him.

I’ve made an appointment with a new pediatrician to discuss perhaps trying a different medication. I’m wondering if he should see a therapist. I would appreciate any suggestions any of you may have. Thank you.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

punchbuggy posted:

I’ve made an appointment with a new pediatrician to discuss perhaps trying a different medication. I’m wondering if he should see a therapist. I would appreciate any suggestions any of you may have. Thank you.

It'd be a great idea to go for therapy- specifically, family therapy. Given that you recognize how much it bothers you that he doesn't do as well as his sister, and given that he's surrounded by high achievers, you've likely been giving him (unintentional) signals for all his life that he's not measuring up. (I'd also say the stuff like "I have tried for years to help him get organized with planners, whiteboards, timers, post-its, verbal reminders—over and over and over,, but he doesn’t take to any of it," makes it sound like you might be trying to function for him, rather than helping him develop his own methods. It's a pretty common dynamic, and easy to fall into, but, as someone who grew up with a similar dynamic, it makes things very hard when you're on your own in the real world!)

A family therapist can help you as a group work together to improve how you all interact so that everyone better supports one another. Individual therapy would probably also help him, but family therapy is really great for cases like yours.

Good luck!

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
You’re right. When he was younger, I was so careful about this, but I recognize that as he became older, I have through my actions and words telegraphed “why can’t you be like us?” I’m so scared that I’ve messed him up with my attempts to help him.

Of course It makes sense that any therapy would involve the whole family. I’d been considering talking to someone about my feelings toward my son separately from a counselor for him, but it makes sense to find a therapist who will work with all of us.

Thank you, and please keep the suggestions/insights coming. Really interested in hearing about what would have been helpful or what you wish your parents did for you when you were his age (15).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's great that you're trying to help him and clearly a tough situation. I can imagine if I was in his place that a world filled with someone else's whiteboards and lists, while my brain is not able to cooperate, would feel fairly oppressive. Something that may not be obvious from the outside is that he's probably putting in a whole load of effort to do what he's doing and you should recognise that.

You should also be clear that there are many different routes through life and the straightforward sausage factory one of doing well at school / college / bing bong / good job isn't the only one. Teachers at my schools used to pretend it would be catastrophic if you don't get amazing results at whatever exam. It's just not true, there's always other routes.

He could try different medication. It doesn't look like he has been on any of the amphetamine based ones and Vyvanse is popular. Again I can imagine as a teenager that having to take a med that makes you feel a bit different from your normal self may not be what you want. Worth trying though. There are loads of good books and your son may be old enough to look at the taking charge of adult ADHD ones. The vidéos by Russell Barley are pretty good too.

And yeah I think you would likely benefit from individual therapy as well as the family therapy.

Long time ago but my parents didn't even think there could be anything wrong, or about ADHD, I was just lazy and needed to be told off. Mum is dead and I don't speak to my dad any more, and I've by all accounts made a decent fist of life. Don't be them!

Good luck anyway

e: you could also consider lurking something like the ADHD subreddit to understand people's points of view when they're talking about their disorder candidly.

e2: just thought of something else that's practical, noise cancelling headphones are an absolute godsend for me, to the point that I basically can't get started writing stuff unless I have them on.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 19, 2021

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
One of the hidden pitfalls of growing up with ADHD is the depression, anxiety, and rejection sensitivity that can arise from feeling like a disappointment to everybody. It's very promising that you're going out of your way to take responsibility as a parent, and to be understanding and consider how your actions will be internalized - I've got a feeling that your kid will turn out alright.

I think therapy is an excellent idea.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

It's great that you're trying to help him and clearly a tough situation. I can imagine if I was in his place that a world filled with someone else's whiteboards and lists, while my brain is not able to cooperate, would feel fairly oppressive. Something that may not be obvious from the outside is that he's probably putting in a whole load of effort to do what he's doing and you should recognise that.

Yeah, I think this is one of the biggest problems of living with any mental illness: your symptoms are not under your control at all, but the culture we live in assumes that they are, and that you're just not working hard enough. (And that using medication is also lazy because obviously everything can be controlled with willpower!)

So unless you have a support system that actively reminds you that you're just working with a brain that doesn't do things normally, you take on the belief that you're inherently lazy and terrible, because you're a dumbass kid with no context, and kids naturally assume that everything is about them.

punchbuggy posted:

I’m so scared that I’ve messed him up with my attempts to help him.

I mean, all parents mess up their kids to some extent. It's just part of being human and growing up with a weird meat computer in your head. The important thing is that you're working to counteract that! So I'd recommend focusing less on "Oh no what have I done," beyond a sincere apology to the kid, and more on "What can I do now to make it better?"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

punchbuggy posted:

Hi. This thread has been very informative, and made me more determined to help my son.

I have a 15-year old son who I always knew had adhd-inattentive type, but deluded myself into thinking that “it’s not that bad; he’ll grow out of it.” When he was in 7th grade, his English teacher brought it to my attention that he may benefit from medical attention. She had a college-age son who was just like my kid, and was concerned. I spoke to my pediatrician, who had me and his dad, as well as all of his core subject teachers at school, fill out questionnaires. No surprise , he checked off all the boxes leading to a diagnosis. He was prescribed ritalin 10mg, which was titrated up to 20mg. My son hated taking the med, especially the appetite-suppression it caused. We worked around it by eating a big breakfast, then a big late lunch when he came home from school, and a later dinner. The medication would wear out by 3pm, so homework was a struggle.

He was limping along, getting B’s and C’s through the rest of middle school. Attending school remotely for his first year of high school due to the pandemic did not go well, as you can imagine. He refused to take his meds, stating he didn’t see the point as he was home. (yeah, makes no sense,but he is a teenager)

I have tried for years to help him get organized with planners, whiteboards, timers, post-its, verbal reminders—over and over and over,, but he doesn’t take to any of it. I’m sure some of it is developmental, being a teen boy. At this age, he doesn’t pay attention to what Mom says. I finally gave up trying to be his math tutor, because we kept arguing, and hired one to teach him via zoom, and his algebra grade went from a D+ to a B+ this semester.

It’s been a very exhausting year of being stuck at home together. He has a twin sister who is neurotypical, and even though I know I shouldn’t compare them or expect them to be similar, it freaks me out when I see her doing well in school and managing her schedule and he is not. Last week I received an email from school that she made honor roll (4.0) and another email that he has to take summer remediation for the two D’s he received.

I have enrolled him in a one-on-one summer school class to remediate the poor grades he received this school year. It is expensive, but his teacher told me he would not get much out of the school district’s summer school. He is surrounded by high-achievers, and he tells me he wants to do well. He is such a nice, lovely kid, and I want to do whatever I can to help him.

So, a few things. One is that psychoeducation can be really helpful for all parties involved. Really learning about the neuropathology of ADHD and how it generates impairments can be both normalizing and useful for developing coping strategies that actually work. Learning about the physiological effects of medication can also help him use it more effectively and break through some of those taboos, like that attitude that it's "only for school". I'd recommend these books on the psychoed front:
https://www.amazon.com/Outside-Box-Rethinking-Children-Practical/dp/1585624276/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1
https://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-ADHD-Fourth-Authoritative/dp/1462542670/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1

The next piece of advice would be to be more interested in trying to learn about his experience of struggling than in being "helpful". ADHD is not an intuitive disorder, and often interventions from caretakers that are presented as helpful are actually just setting the child up to fail in a different way. As a result, ADHD children often develop very ambivalent attitudes towards offers of assistance from authority figures -- there's very little faith that help is actually possible, and that's a belief that has been earned by past experience. Try to think much more in terms of changing environmental factors to address impairments and learning needs than in trying to generate internal change in your son via developing "organizational skills", "focus", etc. That's just swimming against the current in terms of the disorder and winds up eroding self-esteem. Effective environmental interventions often require both real knowledge and understanding of ADHD as well as cooperation from teachers, principals, etc. It's not easy.

Therapy is a great idea, either family or individual (both is best!). ADHD is not only about the impairments generated by the disorder itself, but since it's neurodevelopmental and present from birth, it also has a profound effect on how people experience themselves. If you can find a therapist with particular experience working with ADHD clients, even better.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you can find a therapist with particular experience working with ADHD clients, even better.

Absolutely this. There's a lot of different kinds of therapists and therapy specialties, so it's a good idea to find someone who's up on things and has expertise.

Since it can be pretty intimidating to search, I recommend Psychology Today's therapist search: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists It's super robust, allows you to filter by insurance and type of therapy (and a bunch of other stuff), and verifies therapist information, so you know you're getting people with the right training.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I keep wanting to pursue woodworking as a hobby and every time I go to make something I realize I am paralyzed without the guidance of a plan or schematic that I have not made. Then I go to look into making plans for because what I want to make is not something that would have existing plans I could pull up. Then I get paralyzed by not knowing how to make "proper" woodworking plans. Really all I should need to do is make the loving thing and work through problems I encounter but instead I create some fuckin Zeno's paradox of hesitation and this happens with every hobby that requires creating something new.

Interestingly, I've recently found that the combination of reduced anxiety, increased impulsivity, and removal of background thoughts from being high on THC increases my productivity by reducing executive dysfunction.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 19, 2021

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you can find a therapist with particular experience working with ADHD clients, even better.

Is there a particular type of therapy method that works well for ADHD? CBT, etc.?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MJP posted:

Is there a particular type of therapy method that works well for ADHD? CBT, etc.?

Definitely not CBT -- ADHD deficits are structural and not neuroplastic in the ways that CBT targets. You probably want someone with an integrative (psychodynamic/behavioral/psychoeducational) approach.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
There is some ADHD-targeted CBT but it's rare and yeah, the normal stuff is totally useless. Of course, it didn't stop the NHS dumping me into a 6-session generic CBT course

Most of the stuff that looks useful seems to fall under the ADHD coaching banner. I've not tried it myself yet though

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

MJP posted:

In terms of treating the disorder itself, I'm not sure there's much. However, therapy is pretty important for dealing with the trauma that comes from growing up with ADHD-- trouble handling emotions, relational issues, poo poo self-esteem, etc. Psychodynamic is a pretty good approach for that. Schema therapy might also be a good choice.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

signalnoise posted:

I keep wanting to pursue woodworking as a hobby and every time I go to make something I realize I am paralyzed without the guidance of a plan or schematic that I have not made. Then I go to look into making plans for because what I want to make is not something that would have existing plans I could pull up. Then I get paralyzed by not knowing how to make "proper" woodworking plans. Really all I should need to do is make the loving thing and work through problems I encounter but instead I create some fuckin Zeno's paradox of hesitation and this happens with every hobby that requires creating something new.

Interestingly, I've recently found that the combination of reduced anxiety, increased impulsivity, and removal of background thoughts from being high on THC increases my productivity by reducing executive dysfunction.

! yes! i get this analysis paralysis, too. i still have trouble getting around fixating on not knowing everything or not making something perfect but i’ve found just setting a 30-45 minute timer to just experiment helps a lot.

i still worry about stuff i make not being absolutely perfect and have to remind myself to be kinder to myself and allow for mistakes and growth.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

signalnoise posted:

I do a lot of metal and woodworking and usually dont have much of a plan when I get started other than what I want to end up with. I usually sketch something out on a notepad or scrap of cardboard while I'm going and make constant revisions but havent had to scrap anything yet. I'm making the vanity and built ins for two bathrooms and only really have the final dimensions and what I know from repairing and modifying some old kitchen cabinets that I'm putting in my utility room. Dont worry too much about proper plans.

As for your second point I found that helps a lot for me when it comes to making proper plans plus organizing and completely finishing a project but unfortunately my work situation prevents me from taking advantage of that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've scrolled through all of Psychology Today's listings for anyone who mentions ADHD in their profile and has a Psy. D or Ph.D for a therapist. Left some VMs, no responses yet. I might have to be looking for LCSWs or LPCs - anyone have experience with them vs. the medical degree side of things? It seems like my options are "works with adult ADHD, medical degree, accepts insurance - choose two".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MJP posted:

I've scrolled through all of Psychology Today's listings for anyone who mentions ADHD in their profile and has a Psy. D or Ph.D for a therapist. Left some VMs, no responses yet. I might have to be looking for LCSWs or LPCs - anyone have experience with them vs. the medical degree side of things? It seems like my options are "works with adult ADHD, medical degree, accepts insurance - choose two".

Psy.D and Ph.D aren't medical degrees, my dude

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Psy.D and Ph.D aren't medical degrees, my dude

Color me corrected, then. "Higher" degrees? A lifetime of good ol' stereotypical nebbish pseudo-hypochondria has left me more biased than I thought.

So I guess it comes down to anyone with a comparison of experience between LCSW, MSW, Psy.D, Ph.D, etc. want to sound off?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MJP posted:

Color me corrected, then. "Higher" degrees? A lifetime of good ol' stereotypical nebbish pseudo-hypochondria has left me more biased than I thought.

So I guess it comes down to anyone with a comparison of experience between LCSW, MSW, Psy.D, Ph.D, etc. want to sound off?

PhD and PsyD are terminal degrees in psychology, MSW is a terminal degree in social work (LCSW refers to licensure for MSW's in some states), stuff like LPC or LMFT are other terminal degrees that allow you to practice psychotherapy. All of these tracks have their own different but comparable requirements for licensure that vary by state. There's no hierarchy, you can find very experienced, knowledgeable, and skilled therapists with a variety of educational backgrounds and licenses.

There might be some trends within each profession; psychologists tend to be bougie overachiever types, social workers might have more of an interest in social systems, LMFTs might be more likely to focus on couples and family work, etc, but these aren't hard and fast rules by any means.

Medical doctors -- psychiatrists -- can also practice psychotherapy *if they're trained for it*, but that's relatively rare and a throwback to when psychoanalysis was dominated by psychiatry.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 30, 2021

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had a psychiatrist who also did therapy when I was a kid. It was a really great experience. Seems like he was the last of a dying breed - a real shame, I got some amazing work done with him.

Guess I'll include the SWs in the search - at this point I need someone who can help ADHD first and foremost. Side note, "terminal degree" absolutely sounds like a 90s action movie.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
hi thread, long time listener, first time caller

my wife was diagnosed when she was a teenager (shes 36 now) and has tried probably every medication under the sun, but lately she been doing ok with just wellbutrin.
a couple months ago she tried strattera and a couple nights later she blacked out in our foyer and fracturerd her shoulder, so she stopped that one.
the most frustrating thing about being with someone with ADHD, and this is pretty minor but it annoys the gently caress out of me, is that when i clean up the house if i move and try to organize her pile of clutter i risk being yelled at, because apparently the clothes were thrown on the floor in a very specific order.

but my real concern is my son who is 6. and i always assumed all 6 year old boys have ADHD cause he's a wild one, but a doctor basically said to us "yea he probably has it but it's borderline" and between that and the time he lost at school due to covid remote learning means he's significantly behind in his reading skills, and i just absolutely do not have the patience to sit with him and try to study, without me pulling my hair out and trying not to yell at him to pay attention. We found a tutor, who is also a 3rd grade teacher, who comes once or twice a week and that's helped us more then anything. the doctor has not suggested putting him on any meds yet, and i'm extremely hesistant to because i remeber years ago when my wife was off and on adderall (or some other stimulant) and it did not suit her, so we'll see how my son progresses with some extra help in school and an IEP from the district

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For those who haven't been diagnosed as children, how did you determine there's a medical issue and not a normal amount of disorganization or laziness? Never really thought about it until the pandemic gave me a lot of time to think about and find some patterns that might've going on for a long time now and slowly causing issues. Stuff like organization, finishing things, maintaining focus, etc.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

For those who haven't been diagnosed as children, how did you determine there's a medical issue and not a normal amount of disorganization or laziness? Never really thought about it until the pandemic gave me a lot of time to think about and find some patterns that might've going on for a long time now and slowly causing issues. Stuff like organization, finishing things, maintaining focus, etc.

Because there's a lot more to the syndrome of ADHD than being disorganized or lazy.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mobby_6kl posted:

Have a peep at this list. If it's one or two then maybe not, if it's most of them then maybe you've got ADHD.

Can also look at something like this for more lived experience-style information https://twitter.com/ADHD_Alien/status/1242141401737056256

I am not a doctor, no 2 people's ADHD looks the same blah blah blah

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Also of note is that the "emotional reaction" stuff associated with ADHD doesn't just present as anguish and crying, sometimes its anxiety or disproportionate anger. Just throwing that out there bc I can get angry at the drop of a hat but I don't get anxious or weepy very much.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

After 13 years of attempting to get a college degree, i finally went to a therapist who didn’t take long to diagnose me.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Now, to be fair, I'm not yet officially diagnosed because I don't get have insurance from my job due to a 90-day waiting period.

But for me, it started with me reblogging a bunch of ADHD memes on Tumblr with like, "big mood". But I only really seriously started to look more into it and talk to my primary care doc when I started my current job doing data entry. I would come home every night in like, a brain overload fog from spending my day focusing on accurately inputting item numbers and such that could just be strings of numbers, but also could look like "CH3DX4T", on top of having to tune out co-worker chatter without the ability to use headphones.

Ironically, I tried Wellbutrin back in college, but because my depression was so bad at the time, I only noticed that it didn't help the depression - I didn't realize it was helping my focus.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

taiyoko posted:

Now, to be fair, I'm not yet officially diagnosed because I don't get have insurance from my job due to a 90-day waiting period.

But for me, it started with me reblogging a bunch of ADHD memes on Tumblr with like, "big mood". But I only really seriously started to look more into it and talk to my primary care doc when I started my current job doing data entry. I would come home every night in like, a brain overload fog from spending my day focusing on accurately inputting item numbers and such that could just be strings of numbers, but also could look like "CH3DX4T", on top of having to tune out co-worker chatter without the ability to use headphones.

Ironically, I tried Wellbutrin back in college, but because my depression was so bad at the time, I only noticed that it didn't help the depression - I didn't realize it was helping my focus.

Oh hey, a job that sounds like literal hell for my brain!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Lemony posted:

Oh hey, a job that sounds like literal hell for my brain!

Yeah, while I don't mind the work itself, it's the office environment and clownshoes approach to the tech we rely on to do our jobs that's killing me. But I want to stick it out for at least 6 months so it doesn't look so job-hoppy on my resume. Plus, it's close to home, where I live rent-free in my parents' basement, so I can work on paying off my student loans and still be able to save up for an apartment if/when I find a better job.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

taiyoko posted:

Yeah, while I don't mind the work itself, it's the office environment and clownshoes approach to the tech we rely on to do our jobs that's killing me. But I want to stick it out for at least 6 months so it doesn't look so job-hoppy on my resume. Plus, it's close to home, where I live rent-free in my parents' basement, so I can work on paying off my student loans and still be able to save up for an apartment if/when I find a better job.

Hmm. I'm just spitballing here, but do you have the ability to use a screen reader, and if so could it help? Sometimes I find I process stuff like this better when my "input" and "output" channels are different, I think because it lets me type the stuff the moment I hear it and clear my buffer. Either way, that does sound like a really frustrating set of tasks for someone with the wigglebrains!

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
I'm in my mid 40's and was diagnosed with ADHD this past January, though I've struggled with the disorder my entire life. School was a complete mess for me; I always tested highly, was identified as "gifted" early on in life and was placed in gifted classes but was then labeled an underachiever or slacker when I couldn't complete assignments and homework on time and had trouble paying attention in class. I had to drop out of college because I just couldn't sit still, concentrate and pay attention for 2-4 hours at a time. I'm sure many here can relate.
Some odd things that I've noticed about myself and am curious to see if others have experienced:

- Things get 'stuck in my head' very frequently. Sometimes it's song lyrics but more often it's just a word, phrase, sentence or a person's name. Whatever it happens to be will just repeat over and over in my head. Sometimes the repetitive thought can last for days. I hate it but feel as if I have no control over my own brain. Due to this I can no longer really listen to music that has lyrics.
- I started reading at the age of 4 and have been an avid reader my entire life. I used to love to read books but within the past couple years have found that I can no longer read printed literature. I'm even afraid to read books now. Knowing that I can no longer do something that I once enjoyed so much is devastating. Oddly enough, I can still read things on the internet, though I'm still very easily distracted and often have to read a sentence 2-3 times before it really sinks in.
- I pick at my cuticles all the time, sometimes to the point where they'll be bloody. I catch myself doing it and force myself to stop...but 5 seconds later I catch myself doing it again. I absolutely hate this and don't want to do it but feel as if I have no control.

I've been taking 150mg of Wellbutrin XR daily since January and saw good results for awhile but lately the drug seems less effective and I find myself losing focus and procrastinating more and more frequently. I'm supposed to be cleaning/organizing my office today...but instead I'm writing this.
I have an appointment scheduled with my doctor and I plan on mentioning these things to him but I have concerns about different medications and their side effects so I'm curious as to other's experiences. I've had problems with stimulant abuse in the past (cocaine) but I haven't touched any in 10 years. This makes me a bit uneasy about being prescribed other stimulants like Ritalin or Adderall.
With the exception of some minor, occasional constipation I've been side effect free while taking Wellbutrin. I'm particularly worried about sexual side effects like ED if I switch meds. My wife and I both have very busy schedules and work opposite hours so on those occasions where the stars align and we both have availability to be intimate, I'd like to be able to perform.
Apologies for the long post, just needed to get some of this stuff off my chest and hear from some people that can relate.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

E: ^^^ Hi apparently you are me. Except I'm less of a cuticle picker and more of a scab picker. Have to wear bandaids to avoid unconsciously doing it.

mobby_6kl posted:

Seeing people with adult ADHD talking about their experiences and going, "Wait, that's not normal?"

I'm pretty quick-witted and test well, so I was really far out of school before I realized that what I was experiencing was ADHD and not just, like, some inherent character flaw.

The main thing is just distraction issues- I'll start a morning task, and then completely forget about it if I am not right in front of it. (I have flooded the kitchen more than once because I started filling up something with the sink hose and got distracted by something in another room.)

I need a whiteboard with a to do list, plus a planner with alarm notifications on my phone in order to get anything done, otherwise I slip into focus on something fun and lose track of the entire world. I've always been bad with long-term work because my sense of time is "the past," "now," and "the future," and I just don't have the normal, innate sense of "that two-weeks-from-now deadline is turning into two days from now, so you'd better be close to finishing it!"

I also get executive dysfunction like whoa, where I'll be sitting in bed, mentally screaming at my body to get up and do things, but body just says "lol can't hear you we're not going anywhere, bitch." The phone alarms help a lot with this.

I don't have the "outgoing" symptoms like blurting things out or chattering under most circumstances, and I don't have the anger reactions, because I was trained out of them early on. Instead, I drift off into daydreams randomly (and uncontrollably) and have major anxiety in social situations as I analyze every single interaction and worry that I'm missing some important detail or clue that I'm saying or doing The Wrong Thing.

I also read "Delivered from Distraction" and got a really high score on the checklist of lesser-known symptoms and behaviours.

ADHD is one of those things where the symptoms manifest in a lot of really weird ways, so the usual list can pass over a lot of cases because someone is just really good at masking, or they're really, really good at last minute work.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

sporkstand posted:

- Things get 'stuck in my head' very frequently. Sometimes it's song lyrics but more often it's just a word, phrase, sentence or a person's name. Whatever it happens to be will just repeat over and over in my head. Sometimes the repetitive thought can last for days. I hate it but feel as if I have no control over my own brain. Due to this I can no longer really listen to music that has lyrics.
- I started reading at the age of 4 and have been an avid reader my entire life. I used to love to read books but within the past couple years have found that I can no longer read printed literature. I'm even afraid to read books now. Knowing that I can no longer do something that I once enjoyed so much is devastating. Oddly enough, I can still read things on the internet, though I'm still very easily distracted and often have to read a sentence 2-3 times before it really sinks in.
- I pick at my cuticles all the time, sometimes to the point where they'll be bloody. I catch myself doing it and force myself to stop...but 5 seconds later I catch myself doing it again. I absolutely hate this and don't want to do it but feel as if I have no control.

I've been taking 150mg of Wellbutrin XR daily since January and saw good results for awhile but lately the drug seems less effective and I find myself losing focus and procrastinating more and more frequently. I'm supposed to be cleaning/organizing my office today...but instead I'm writing this.

-yes, in the morning before my meds kick in there is a constant refrain of something echoing in my head. It's irritating. It vanishes about an hour after I dose.
-yes, I find it a lot harder to get into something initially as I've aged, but I find if I persevere and find something that either challenges me or interests me I'll be glued to it like old times. I often remember though even when I was 10 years old, the Lord of the Rings loving suuuuuuuuucked and was a slog until Gandalf fell in Moria, then I was hooked except skipping every poem and song. It's not a new trait it's just exaggerated. Medication actually hurts this a little, as stuff I was really interested in like gaming doesn't do as much for me and I'd rather do something real when medicated. Often that bounces off my procrastinating/perfectionism and I do nothing so hooray.
-yeah, though much less when medicated.

I suspect it's pretty normal for effectiveness to drop once you get used to your dose. I take Concerta (Ritalin extended release basically) for about two years at the same dose. It is getting significantly harder to do things for myself but conversely I'm noticing my work performance regarding memory, organisation, attention to detail has been improving and I can't explain it or square it away.

Re getting addicted to stims, it's a risk in theory, I was worried about it, but the minute I realised I have to fight to get out of bed to take it and often almost forget my dose means I'm a pretty poo poo addict. The long release versions are much harder to abuse. I wouldn't factor it into your decision making, they're not addictive where you have withdrawal if you miss a dose or five, but mentally you'll be like "gently caress I need my meds" but it's coming from fear of the garbage fire life quickly becomes rather than addiction.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
At one point about six months after starting my medication, I was trying to articulate to my doctor how things were going. I landed on something close to "I can't really fully explain how I do or do not feel different while I'm taking these, I just know I do. What I can tell you is that if I think about not taking them anymore I get scared."

This was apparently an acceptable answer.

To be fair, if I forget to take my dose in the morning (which fortunately isn't often) I end up halfway into the afternoon wondering why I feel so poo poo and discombobulated. :iiam:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I was just diagnosed a week ago and have an appointment with my PCP at the end of next week to discuss medication. While I've heard a lot of people talking about stim crashes and all the terrible side effects, I'm wondering how much of that is people being more willing to talk about the negatives while you don't hear from most of the people happily going along with their lives. It sounds like a lot of people here have had positive experiences with their drugs. Can anyone tell me what the side effects have been like when they aren't so bad?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm lucky as hell and don't have any bad side effects from my normal dose of adderal. Worst that happens is I sometimes forget to eat lunch.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I was just diagnosed a week ago and have an appointment with my PCP at the end of next week to discuss medication. While I've heard a lot of people talking about stim crashes and all the terrible side effects, I'm wondering how much of that is people being more willing to talk about the negatives while you don't hear from most of the people happily going along with their lives. It sounds like a lot of people here have had positive experiences with their drugs. Can anyone tell me what the side effects have been like when they aren't so bad?

-Getting very sleepy as soon as they wear off (this is good as long as it’s bedtime)
-Not getting hungry (but still able to eat if I schedule it)
-a little more irritated at small things (not too hard to recognize and redirect)
-focusing better on the wrong things (not so much a side effect as a skill you have to work on. Most recommend you start the stuff you need to do as you take your med, not after)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

sporkstand posted:

Some odd things that I've noticed about myself and am curious to see if others have experienced:

I love posts like these, they make me feel seen!

I always have a piece of a song or a phrase stuck in my head. The only time I don't notice it is if I'm actively engaged in taking to someone or listening to music or hearing some other focused noise. At this second it's that "you need to calm down" song by Taylor Swift, but just the first part of the chorus.

I was a massive bookworm as a kid but some years ago I lost the ability to finish a book, even one I was really enjoying it. The solution for me has been audiobooks. I listen to them while I'm driving or hiking or doing something with my hands--it's been a huge relief. If I MUST read I'll read out loud to myself, that can help me get through it, although it's still frustrating.

My fingers used to be bloody stumps. I take extremely good care of my nails and nail beds now (and keep trimmers, moisturizer and a file close at hand always) and that has made a huge difference. I still chew on myself when I get stressed, though. Also on my lips (I keep lip gloss nearby at all times now.) I also yank on my eyebrows and eyelashes a lot, and pop my knuckles and other joints almost obsessively.

I dunno if any of that's helpful, but you certainly aren't alone.