Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Apparently Mountain View and Palo Alto are trying to ban growing marijuana outdoors in case marijuana gets legalized. Is this some kind of NIMBY thing? Not very eco friendly to force people to use grow lamps and stuff when the sun is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

No, that isn't bullshit. Putting a minority of your employees into a position where they are singled out - such as because they have to tell their boss "no, I don't want to go to that thing in North Carolina, but don't ask me why, but you can't make me, but you obviously know why, even though neither of us will put that reason on paper" - is discriminatory.

And yes, I have no doubt at all that the legislators who passed this bill also want to score political points. Nevertheless, your argument was that CA has no interest, and this is a direct interest: protecting its own employees. It makes the bill defensible from a legal standpoint, at the very least. And if the effect of protecting its own employees from discrimination is secondary, well: I'll take it anyway.
This argument is contrary to the argument that getting around the bill is trivial due to subsection c. IMO I think subsection c is not trivial and you don't understand how difficult getting an exception can be, even with that wording (and think about where most HQs are for state agencies), but it will be protective. I just think the exemption clause for emergency services is poorly worded or poorly thought out if we assume that states that currently or eventually get caught by this law will be shitheads and retaliate by not sending CA aid following a disaster.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Panfilo posted:

Apparently Mountain View and Palo Alto are trying to ban growing marijuana outdoors in case marijuana gets legalized. Is this some kind of NIMBY thing? Not very eco friendly to force people to use grow lamps and stuff when the sun is free.

Possibly nimby but if a city assumes that mega agrocon is going to develop some massive pot farms then driving up local costs basically means getting grow operations out of town.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Panfilo posted:

I doubt too many people are going to be growing in city limits once you can build farms.

Also if it's going to be like Oregon they can't legally prevent personal growers, just the large scale stuff.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
All that commercial farmland in Mountain View!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bastard Tetris posted:

All that commercial farmland in Mountain View!

OTOH Full Circle Farm is a place that exists now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Panfilo posted:

Aren't farms supposed to be licensed/regulated anyway? The people growing pot in fields are going to have some pretty strong controls on that. It's not like they're planting it right outside schools.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I thought it was regarding individual people having a couple of plants in their backyards.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm really loving the dog-whistle advertising against eviction control in my town this year. My mailbox yesterday was stuffed with literally nothing but page after page of "Vote No on R" bullshit, but one particular one really stood out to me. It was targeting renters and trying to scare them into voting against rent control by talking about how renters shouldn't be fooled by Measure R (Rent and Eviction control) because what it really means is that the state wants to take away your safety and the security of your apartment. Now, "criminals, drug abusers, loud partiers, poor people, and other undesirables" can move in next to you and your landlord will be powerless to evict them and maintain the community standards you are used to.

Never mind all the other lies in the mailer; what I can't get over is that italicized verbiage. "Gee, the average rent in my town is well over $3,000 a month and there are no eviction controls, but I'd better vote against adding any in case RACIST STEREOTYPES OF BLACK PEOPLE MOVE IN."

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

ComradeCosmobot posted:

OTOH Full Circle Farm is a place that exists now.

Growing weed at a community garden would be fantastic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Like it wouldn't be constantly stolen? It's hard enough keeping people from stealing your tomatoes or whatever.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like someone at Alameda County final solved the lack of sticker issue when voting by mail.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Last election there was a good summary in this thread of what all the propositions on the ballot were about, and the likely outcomes of each one. Has anyone made something similar this year? And maybe one for the San Francisco local measures too?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

Seems like someone at Alameda County final solved the lack of sticker issue when voting by mail.

Now if only Alameda County would not require 3 forever stamps postage. Seriously bullshit since that seems like a poll tax of a sort and there's probably a large enough non-zero number who don't mail their ballots in because they don't have stamps, but apparently you can mail it without stamps and they'll just bill County Elections Office for it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
e: nevermind, am dumb.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 3, 2016

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Last election there was a good summary in this thread of what all the propositions on the ballot were about, and the likely outcomes of each one. Has anyone made something similar this year? And maybe one for the San Francisco local measures too?

I mostly go off of League of Pissed Off Voters http://www.theleaguesf.org/guide#propa

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

Now if only Alameda County would not require 3 forever stamps postage. Seriously bullshit since that seems like a poll tax of a sort and there's probably a large enough non-zero number who don't mail their ballots in because they don't have stamps, but apparently you can mail it without stamps and they'll just bill County Elections Office for it.
Weird, my San Mateo county envelope didnt need any ... I think :ohdear:

Well the county site says they got it so who knows

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Mike Honda vs Ro Khanna.

Last thing I can't figure out.

Honda: old, tired, probably smelly, corrupt, but on Senate Appropriations. Dems want him.

Khanna: young hip for american manufacturing can stay awake. Lots of Republican donors

Any goon consensus?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

For city or county stuff the League of Women Voters usually has a local chapter with recommendations like the San Francisco one Fermun linked to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I posted this in USPOL where it promptly drowned in piss. Should have known better.

Can someone help me out with understanding the impacts of CA Prop 61? If it passes it would cap state agency payments for drugs to what the VA has negotiated with the industry. That sounds nice but I'm concerned companies will just jack up prices on other drugs, or flat-out refuse to meet those conditions, so it ends up restricting patient access. Both sides seem to have supporters that I agree with on other issues. I'm leaning towards No right now over those concerns, what do other CA goons think?

https://ballotpedia.org/California_...rice_Standards_(2016)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chard posted:

I posted this in USPOL where it promptly drowned in piss. Should have known better.

Can someone help me out with understanding the impacts of CA Prop 61? If it passes it would cap state agency payments for drugs to what the VA has negotiated with the industry. That sounds nice but I'm concerned companies will just jack up prices on other drugs, or flat-out refuse to meet those conditions, so it ends up restricting patient access. Both sides seem to have supporters that I agree with on other issues. I'm leaning towards No right now over those concerns, what do other CA goons think?

Read the last few pages friend

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Chard posted:

You're right, those are the most likely outcomes, since the state has no leverage to force drug manufacturers to sell at the prices it demands, and may have to ignore the law to meet its requirement to provide certain drugs to Medi-Cal patients. It also exempts managed Medi-Cal. It is a dumb proposition written and supported by dumb people with a high school level understanding of government.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Beachcomber posted:

Mike Honda vs Ro Khanna.

Honda: old, tired, probably smelly, corrupt, but on Senate Appropriations. Dems want him.

Khanna: young hip for american manufacturing can stay awake. Lots of Republican donors

Any goon consensus?

Honda is a member of the House Progressive Caucus. Khanna has gone on record denouncing its budget as being insufficiently bipartisan.

Also Khanna's former, long-time campaign manager literally accessed and used Honda's donor lists with his old campaign contractor credentials back during the 2014 race.

Vote for Honda. (But expect Khanna to win :sigh:)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

I classified 61 among the things to vote no on because the situation is way too complicated for a ballot prop.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the replies, I guess I wasn't missing something after all. Expecting that to actually achieve anything seems like a fool's errand, like just asking politely has ever worked at this scale.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So is Bernie Sanders delusional when it comes to Prop 61 (note: do not discuss whether he is crazy or not), or is he saying to support it just to make a vocal point about how lovely the Pharma companies are and hopefully provide positive reenforcement for a better law at a later date?

Like, is it exploratory and you "just gotta start somewhere"?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 3, 2016

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Bernie Sanders is not a man to let whether a law is workable or not get in the way of hewing to his ideals. It's a weakness and a strength.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Beachcomber posted:

Mike Honda vs Ro Khanna.

Any goon consensus?

Khanna is butt buddies with Peter Thiel, the racist reactionary wing of Chinese America and has given interviews on Breitbart. gently caress him

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, Honda is emblematic of Democratic machine politics but Ro Khanna is in deep with the spergy libertarian wing of Silicon Valley and has done some pretty questionable stuff in the pursuit of power. They both have basically acceptable positions on the issues but seem most interested in gaining and maintaining power. It's really a choice of whether you want the old machine or a new machine backed by the techno-ubermenschen.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're right, those are the most likely outcomes, since the state has no leverage to force drug manufacturers to sell at the prices it demands, and may have to ignore the law to meet its requirement to provide certain drugs to Medi-Cal patients. It also exempts managed Medi-Cal. It is a dumb proposition written and supported by dumb people with a high school level understanding of government.

The moron who wrote that prop runs a "managed MediCal" program which is why he wrote an exemption into it for himself. The goal is to kill other forms of MediCal and force the state to use his managed services because his will be the only one that can actually purchase drugs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Where in this several hundreds page thread are there salient points regarding measures A and M?

Some parts of each seem a little shady.

Also, does voting 'No' on certain measures even if you kinda agree with the sentiment tell the government to shape up their law writing poo poo and submit another law, or does it tend to discourage further reform? Or is that when you vote no but then write your congressperson? Some of the linked pieces from a few posts up say "we really dislike this particular language and method, but we're going to grudgingly vote for it because we think SOMETHING should be done and if we vote No then we'll scare away future fixes."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 3, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We really need a additional response options: "no - good idea but bad execution" and "no - bad idea completely".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Drifter posted:

Where in this several hundreds page thread are there salient points regarding measures A and M?

Some parts of each seem a little shady.

Also, does voting 'No' on certain measures even if you kinda agree with the sentiment tell the government to shape up their law writing poo poo and submit another law, or does it tend to discourage further reform? Or is that when you vote no but then write your congressperson? Some of the linked pieces from a few posts up say "we really dislike this particular language and method, but we're going to grudgingly vote for it because we think SOMETHING should be done and if we vote No then we'll scare away future fixes."

You're going to have to be more specific. Each county has its own Measure A.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You're going to have to be more specific. Each county has its own Measure A.
Sorry.
Like all Los Angelenos, the world revolves the sun which in turn revolves around Los Angeles. :blush:

Measure A is taxing 1.5 cents on every square foot of property annually to provide safe neighborhood parks and water conservation and open spaces and poo poo. It seems a bit regressive, even though it's only 20-50 bucks a year for most people. I just really dislike flat taxes even though I like parks and water and poo poo.

Measure M is an extra half cent on sales tax, which..again... that lasts until we vote it to stop, that goes to improving LA traffic freeway flow and street repair.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Drifter posted:

Sorry.
Like all Los Angelenos, the world revolves the sun which in turn revolves around Los Angeles. :blush:

Measure A is taxing 1.5 cents on every square foot of property annually to provide safe neighborhood parks and water conservation and open spaces and poo poo. It seems a bit regressive, even though it's only 20-50 bucks a year for most people. I just really dislike flat taxes even though I like parks and water and poo poo.

Measure M is an extra half cent on sales tax, which..again... that lasts until we vote it to stop, that goes to improving LA traffic freeway flow and street repair.
I don't live in LA, but I would vote yes on A. Thanks to Prop 13, theres no way to increase property tax but you can assess "property fees" based on square footage. And since more sq footage = more expensive house (+ location), that's not a bad correlated indicator. And really anyone who owns property in SF/LA/Oakland/Berkeley/Silicon Valley/Peninsula/etc is probably very very well off or even if not income wise they're sitting on at least 700k+ of property. It's much better than raising sales tax which is bad... speaking of which for M, I would probably vote No on that unless the majority of it is public transit funding components. Propping up freeways and poo poo isn't going to help much.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's been mostly my way of thinking.

Regarding Prop M, these days you could have twice the lanes on a freeway as you do now and you'd get even worse traffic. There are so many choke points it's beyond belief. Taking an hour and a half to drive eleven miles is pretty crazy already, and it's not going to get better. And our pubtrans systems are pieces of poo poo except for a very few locations. I kinda want to see plans for improvement instead of just trusting some dumb-gently caress city planning committee to maybe do the right thing later on down the line. We have lots of worn roads, though. :ohdear:

I dont even know how to start improving our pubtrans.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Drifter posted:

In the bay I'd start by eating the rich steamrolling nimbys on the peninsula and running Bart down from SFO all the way down to south San Jose and zoning high rise residential anywhere within a half mile of a Bart station.

And as an extra gently caress you, I'd put the new Bart maintenance facility in atherton.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Drifter posted:

That's been mostly my way of thinking.

LA has been building more than we have in the Bay Area the past decade... so that's a start.

But yeah, 1.5 hrs to drive 11 miles is also about average or even sometimes low around SF depending on the time and it's only worse with literally no reprieve even in sight for the next decade at this point, probably much longer which is sort of sad. And our public transit semi-sucks and is p bad congestion-wise too. Going Eastbound in the evening from various construction/job sites in SF back to Berkeley is like 10 miles and it can take just as long, if I didn't need to carry a bunch of poo poo for work I'd probably get a motorcycle. Fortunately I found some cool shortcuts thanks to Waze the past year which have cut 30 minutes off the past year :c00l:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 4, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Xaris posted:

LA has been building more than we have in the Bay Area the past decade... so that's a start.

But yeah, 1.5 hrs to drive 11 miles is also about average or even sometimes low around SF depending on the time and it's only worse with literally no reprieve even in sight for the next decade at this point, probably much longer which is sort of sad. And our public transit semi-sucks and is p bad congestion-wise too. Going Eastbound in the evening from various construction/job sites in SF back to Berkeley is like 10 miles and it can take just as long, if I didn't need to carry a bunch of poo poo for work I'd probably get a motorcycle. Fortunately I found some cool shortcuts thanks to Waze the past year which have cut 30 minutes off the past year :c00l:

Reminds me of the 91 corridor in SoCal. Its getting widened, which is going to just induce demand. The thing starts clogging up at 4am. I have a feeling people will try and adjust their schedules after the widening thinking they can leave at 6 or 7 in the morning. Same goes for the end of day. People will think its ok to use to go shopping or some poo poo, more houses are being built out east with no real new inventory in orange county. We could have had a second highway, but nobody wanted to run it through national lands, we could have had decent public transportation but *muh taxes*. And it just gets worse as rich out of state folks come in and price everyone out 30 miles away from work. The more I talk to people, the more I realize I'm one of the few natives left. Its loving awesome.

In three short years that I started having to commute, the toll lanes, FasTrak, went from a pleasant ride to as bad as the free lanes. Waze shows that for 10 dollars I can get to my destination as quickly as 10 mins faster, or 5 mins slower than the regular lanes depending on the day. Total loving failure of the corridor is upon us.

This project is also 10 years too late as the FasTrak lanes used to be owned privately with a 20 year or so "no compete" agreement (can't widen the freeway). Eventually the county said "gently caress off" and just bought the lanes so they could widen the freeway.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Eh never mind

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 4, 2016