Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Unwise_Cashew posted:

I swear to god, Jesters are the squishest, most suicidally prone characters in this loving game, and I love them for all their terribleness.

I've had good success with a jester who has only two jobs: jump backwards and forwards with Finale and Solo constantly, or if someone is afflicted then I'll just stun-lock a single dude in combat while my Jester gradually sings the afflicted back to zero. His other skills are too poo poo to bother with.

He only works with other team members that aren't too position sensitive - one of my fave teams is Jester, Man-at-Arms, Houndmaster, Vestal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If I get a hellion a high debuff resist, can she resist her own debuffs?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't think so. Its not really worth taking up the trinket spots honestly. Her self-debuffs are annoying, but you use her abilities in ways that they won't affect you. If you notice, Adrenaline rush gives her a buff similar to the debuff she receives on other abilities. So you can Breakthrough, tank a hit or two, and Adrenaline rush to heal 5, purge off any DoTs, and more or less cancel out the debuff.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Wafflecopper posted:

That kind of sucks though, it just means more grinding dungeons you've already beaten to earn money for the stacks of bandages you need. Also there's no incentive to try a dark run in the "darkest dungeon". The crazy stress is enough reason to go fullbright anyway, but I don't see why they can't offer more loot or even special crazy powerful DD-only no-light only trinkets.

It's likely not content complete. They clearly couldn't finish in their selected timeline, which is why they turned events and the last merchant class into a "free DLC!". Both were supposed to be in by release. In that "DLC" I would also expect to see some more Darkest Dungeon stuff, and balance changes to jester & leper.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:suicide:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

That kind of sucks though, it just means more grinding dungeons you've already beaten to earn money for the stacks of bandages you need. Also there's no incentive to try a dark run in the "darkest dungeon". The crazy stress is enough reason to go fullbright anyway, but I don't see why they can't offer more loot or even special crazy powerful DD-only no-light only trinkets.

Each DD mission has a 15k gold reward, and completing a DD mission gives you stress relief for the entire roster so it's not like you need to spend that gold on recovery (and vets of DD missions are semi retired anyhow.) That's a lot of bandages.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Ugh, a badly composed team costed me a lvl 5 MaM, which was my only one. Finding it harder at champion level.

Do the random journals found carry over saves?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Haven't tried the Darkest Dungeon yet, but I found a secret door and in it was a chest that had two of the really expensive gems and Dismas' head. Which was nice.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

My Dismas has about 10 000 gold's worth of querks I want removed from him so pretty soon I'll abandon him to just end up a severed head too I think.

Panfilo posted:

I don't think so. Its not really worth taking up the trinket spots honestly. Her self-debuffs are annoying, but you use her abilities in ways that they won't affect you. If you notice, Adrenaline rush gives her a buff similar to the debuff she receives on other abilities. So you can Breakthrough, tank a hit or two, and Adrenaline rush to heal 5, purge off any DoTs, and more or less cancel out the debuff.

Yah this makes sense. I'm pretty early and don't have lots of great trinkets yet so I had been curious if it was even worth bothering at all over some minor stress reduction thing. I guess I'll stick with stress reduction.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, the Darkest Dungeon RNG is pretty severe, even in comparison to other offenders, like FTL.
For instance, I lost my first Occultist in the first battle in a cove mission due to him getting crit 3 times in a row, then immediately taking a deathblow from the bleeding damage. There was literally nothing I could do to stop that.

That's part of the fun, though. Dealing with the outcome of less than favorable scenarios.

I mean, I guess I don't see it? I've played a decent bit of FTL and Dungeon of the Endless and those feel WAY harder and more RNG to me. It took me a long time to finish a run in FTL and in 10 or so hours I still haven't gotten further than floor 9 in Dungeon of the Endless on Easy. MeanwhileI had zero trouble with Darkest Dungeon when I first played it on EA release, never had to dump level 0 parties even once and built up my town and team no problem. Quit soon after to wait for full release, started a new run again now and again have had zero trouble keeping things going with not a single party-dump or trinket-selling exploit or anything, I don't even dismiss heroes (well technically I've dismissed two, but both were fresh recruits who got to 100 Stress in their very first dungeon and had a bad Quirk or two to boot, which was just not worth it - I've never dismissed anyone after quest 2 and on). Darkest Dungeon is way more consistent, you have way more impact on how things go between being able to actually control fights with attacks and items, and you have the ability to flee after a disastrous fight and not lose much if anything (other than gold) compared to FTL and Dungeon of the Endless where there's no alternative at all.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

not gonna lie, Arterial Pinch is my most feared non-boss attack in the game, besides if I get extremely unlucky with a constantly replicating Slime brigade.

I don't go into cove without a bunch of bandaids or a plague doctor because that drat bleed is brutal.

Slimes are relatively slow and low hp. If you can't kill/stun most of them on turn one, then apply a speed boost or bellow at them so you get first round for everybody on the next turn to finish them up and you will probably avoid slimesplosion.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Insurrectionist posted:

I mean, I guess I don't see it? I've played a decent bit of FTL and Dungeon of the Endless and those feel WAY harder and more RNG to me. It took me a long time to finish a run in FTL and in 10 or so hours I still haven't gotten further than floor 9 in Dungeon of the Endless on Easy. MeanwhileI had zero trouble with Darkest Dungeon when I first played it on EA release, never had to dump level 0 parties even once and built up my town and team no problem. Quit soon after to wait for full release, started a new run again now and again have had zero trouble keeping things going with not a single party-dump or trinket-selling exploit or anything, I don't even dismiss heroes (well technically I've dismissed two, but both were fresh recruits who got to 100 Stress in their very first dungeon and had a bad Quirk or two to boot, which was just not worth it - I've never dismissed anyone after quest 2 and on). Darkest Dungeon is way more consistent, you have way more impact on how things go between being able to actually control fights with attacks and items, and you have the ability to flee after a disastrous fight and not lose much if anything (other than gold) compared to FTL and Dungeon of the Endless where there's no alternative at all.

Yeah. If it was truly and unfairly random you'd see people who are well-experienced at the game losing characters left and right too, but you don't. I'm reasonably confident after watching some streams that most people who cry about its randomness just don't understand the game yet, and a lot of them are so put-off by its difficulty that they're not going to continue trying. Which is a bit of a bummer, but also kind of funny to watch

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif
owns

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 22, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The game does get quite a bit harder in the vet/Champ dungeons.

And the DD has a very mean change regarding retreating from the dungeon.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Got a stupidest party member death ever.

Remembering the EA, I expected first bosses to be tough fights. Instead, I pretty much murdered the Hag without any problems, massacred the Siren and destroyed the Necromancer. Only the Swine Prince was left.

I effortlessly wear him down with Blight and Bleed attacks while Hellian massacres him. He tries to do something with his cleaver, but I actually remembered to upgrade my party members' armors. Nevertheless, the entire party is worn down to few HPs. The Grave Robber says "If I die, don't put me in the ground " after getting reduced to 0 HP. This is the moment when the Hellian's fritz and kills the lumbering mass of pork. Don't worry, little gal, you won't die today.

Then the Robber's knife misses the little fucker commanding the large pig. Since the Prince is dead, he only gets to Squeal - it's a joke attack that doesn't do anything except wounding everyone for 0 or 1 HP. Of course, this one HP is enough to kill the hapless Grave Robber. I end the fight a turn later.

Turns out there is an achievement for that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

however bad your luck turns in RNG, at least you have upgrades that stay the same. FTL and even Binding of Isaac (to an extent) always felt like a brand new run from the start for me, and any extra ships/characters were few and far between. I guess it makes sense with DD given how this is a roguelike that actually has a "progression" that carries onward for a long-rear end time. So, it makes it nice for something you can play in bursts and you're always improving something. If this was on mobile platforms it'd actually be really loving cool.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did the Ancestor lie?
So in the end he never ran away, never killed himself, him and the Eldrich god were basically homies yet for some reason he still needs his heirs to come sort this out to wake up the Eldrich god? Why doesn't he do that?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Did the Ancestor lie?
So in the end he never ran away, never killed himself, him and the Eldrich god were basically homies yet for some reason he still needs his heirs to come sort this out to wake up the Eldrich god? Why doesn't he do that?

it's not the Ancestor, it's the Heart using his image to taunt you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

it's not the Ancestor, it's the Heart using his image to taunt you.

Yes and no. The Ancestor is very definitely dead, and the apparition you fight has little to do with the Ancestor as he was in life, but I think it's safe to assume that it is in fact what became of him. Whether or not that makes it the Ancestor is open to interpretation. It's a classic paradox: if I have the axe of my grandfather, but over the years its head had to be replaced and its handle peered too deeply into the fabric of reality and succumbed to the dread truth of an eldritch god to become its undying avatar, is it still my grandfather's axe?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is the worst party composition? Challenge level: no duplicate adventurers

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yes and no. The Ancestor is very definitely dead, and the apparition you fight has little to do with the Ancestor as he was in life, but I think it's safe to assume that it is in fact what became of him. Whether or not that makes it the Ancestor is open to interpretation. It's a classic paradox: if I have the axe of my grandfather, but over the years its head had to be replaced and its handle peered too deeply into the fabric of reality and succumbed to the dread truth of an eldritch god to become its undying avatar, is it still my grandfather's axe?

I kind of figured there's two ancestors, or at least the same ancestor split into two personalities. There's Bad Decisions Ancestor who did all that monstrous stuff and whose spirit lives on in the Heart, and there's Remorseful Human Ancestor who wrote you that letter, killed himself at the end, and gets vigorously excited as you purge evil, revive the hamlet, and generally do good human things. Given the quantity of necromancy and ghosts that exist in this setting, I see no reason not to believe he's still around in some level as well, haunting you like a dignified mustachioed Jiminy Cricket.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Normal Adult Human posted:

Arbalest, Jester, Leper, Graverobber.

Arbalest almost doesn't make the cut because she has a sweet camp buff, but not being able to hit rank 1 reliably is terrible.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Wafflecopper posted:

The last mission ends the game, but there are four in the Darkest Dungeon. I don't see why they couldn't make it an interesting choice instead of just "bring all the torches you can because lots of the mobs drain light and there's no incentive to play in the dark."

I'm pretty sure having a dude with the Lurker Quirk and holding a Moon Ring is one of the highest (if not the highest) DPS options you can have. Of course at the risk of major stress damage and in the Darkest Dungeon, well... :getin:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Arbalest almost doesn't make the cut because she has a sweet camp buff, but not being able to hit rank 1 reliably is terrible.
I find the arbo to be a pretty solid character. She can do respectable damage to the back, and she gets some nice healing trinkets, so by the time the fight is down to whacking the dude in position 1, I just put her on healing duty

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

however bad your luck turns in RNG, at least you have upgrades that stay the same. FTL and even Binding of Isaac (to an extent) always felt like a brand new run from the start for me, and any extra ships/characters were few and far between. I guess it makes sense with DD given how this is a roguelike that actually has a "progression" that carries onward for a long-rear end time. So, it makes it nice for something you can play in bursts and you're always improving something. If this was on mobile platforms it'd actually be really loving cool.

I guess a better way to put it is all these games can gently caress you over with RNG, but in Darkest Dungeon getting hosed by RNG isn't the end-all be-all thing that it is in most of these other games. If you get completely hosed in FTL it means you're gonna run into an enemy ship you can't beat for whatever reason, and fleeing sends you into a spiral of losses from which you're almost never going to come back, if you even manage to flee. At which point you start over. In Darkest Dungeon you just have so many fail-safes that being hosed over by RNG isn't nearly as big a deal. I've had one party-wipe and lost another 2 characters over the course of ~85 weeks in my current playthrough so far, and yeah it sucks losing the characters and, often, trinkets you worked on. But unless you really neglected building a big group of characters you should pretty much be ready to go straight back out again without being slowed down too much. And being hosed over is very rare - those losses account for 3 weeks, additionally I've had to abandon two quests with no character losses and had one run succeed but with terrible cost-efficiency because my guys got so stressed out and got lots of quirks. Now take into account one of those times was my own fault for using the Shambler's Alter and that's 5 times I was 'hosed' by the RNG - not always too badly - in 85 runs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would take this to its logical extreme and load up on 4 back row characters: Arbalest, Plague Doctor, Vestal, Occultist (I'm assuming that we're looking at relatively "optimal" party orders, because sticking a Leper in back and an Arbalest in front seems like cheating.)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I love Arbalest, not being able to hit rank one has never been more than a minor nuisance while cleaning up an already completely won fight for me.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

My arbalest is my favourite person in the barracks right now. I'm speaking from a very early game point of view though, only 2 bosses down.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You've got enough movement abilities to keep the leper in front and your jester and gr jumping around.

Arbalist, vestal, occultist, jester

Edit:

Gabriel Pope posted:

I would take this to its logical extreme and load up on 4 back row characters: Arbalest, Plague Doctor, Vestal, Occultist (I'm assuming that we're looking at relatively "optimal" party orders, because sticking a Leper in back and an Arbalest in front seems like cheating.)
DoT, Stun, and heal while they bleed/blight out seems like it could work, plus you've got the synergy of the Occultist w/ the PD to fix those bleeds

GladRagKraken fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Back to Front:
Leper - Jester - Occultist - Grave Robber

Leper can't do anything, Occ can't heal, Jester just gonna sit there and Jest, GR loses access to her four best moves in Rank 1

Comedy option: replace the Rank 2 Occ with a Rank 2 Arb

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you have a jester and graverobber the downsides of a leper are gone

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soothing Vapors posted:

Back to Front:
Leper - Jester - Occultist - Grave5 Robber

Leper can't do anything, Occ can't heal, Jester just gonna sit there and Jest, GR loses access to her four best moves in Rank 1

Comedy option: replace the Rank 2 Occ with a Rank 2 Arb

Turn 1 is shadow fade and dirk stab, turn 2 finale and another fade and leper is in attack range. Close range occultist also stuns someone so the damage you take will be minimal while you shuffle the party. The leper can just chill and cast revenge s couple times while waiting for his invitation to the front.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
imagine 4 arbalests who can only blindfire

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Fair point on the jester. The robber doesn't help that much on her own, still take a few turns to get the leper back to the front.

Afraid of Audio posted:

imagine 4 arbalests who can only blindfire

it haunts my dreams

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

Vestal is actually really good in Rank 2, I've got a melee vestal that is oneshotting dudes in Veteran dungeons :v:

Front row Occ is garbage though and no one will ever convince me otherwise

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GladRagKraken posted:

You've got enough movement abilities to keep the leper in front and your jester and gr jumping around.

Arbalist, vestal, occultist, jester

Edit:

DoT, Stun, and heal while they bleed/blight out seems like it could work, plus you've got the synergy of the Occultist w/ the PD to fix those bleeds

Arbalest/Vestal/Occultist/Jester is a pretty good (bad) combo but the Occultist has no reason to be in slot 2, and a slot 2 Jester is dangerously close to functional. I still like mine better: note that the plague doc is the only DOT and if the doc is DOTing then the occultist is the only functional stun. So you can stun up to 3 enemies, in which case your only offense is a front row vestal (lol) and a standard arbalest, or you can lay down some moderate DOT, in which case you can only stun 1 enemy. And Occultist + PD combo doesn't work unless they're both in the back, which renders the Arbalest non-functional.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Vestal is actually really good in Rank 2, I've got a melee vestal that is oneshotting dudes in Veteran dungeons :v:

Anyone who's not an arbalest can do the same thing though.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Soothing Vapors posted:

it haunts my dreams

now imagine they all have rabies and the yips

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Has this new hotfix patch made anyone crash when loading up a game? I left my heroes in the Weald last night and with this patch, I can't boot up the save. It just crashes on the loading screen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

they let him hit ranks 3 and 4?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Thinking about it some more I think the only way to get a genuinely bad comp in this game is to load up on multiples of a class that shouldn't be loaded up on. Most classes work pretty well, and in most positions.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Anyone who's not an arbalest can do the same thing though.

They can't do it while being a very effective group healer. The new Profane Scroll really owns and lets her keep pumping out dem healz in R2

Afraid of Audio posted:

now imagine they all have rabies and the yips

n-no..........

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I'm having a hard time coming up with a proper front two but whatever the combination, the worst back two are Hellion in 4th rank and Leper in the 3rd. Hellion can't do anything but her buff and breakthrough in 4th rank and is more likely to be faster than the Leper. Switching with him, as she can only move one forward, or using Breakthrough just makes his next turn switching back, Breakthrough doing some damage but also debuffing your hellion in the process. Whoever is in the front ranks needs to be able to move only one space at a time as being able to move two backward is too good for rearranging.

This is actually a harder puzzle than I thought because I figured Abomination is worse than Hellion because he really can't do anything in the 4th rank at all. But he can't be partied with the Leper, so there's the rub.