Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Luffy just took out a yonkou's right hand man, aka a Jack equivalent, with a new move based on a stomach full of wet biscuits. Imagine what he could do with a stomach full of Sanji's cooking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Great chapter, wondering who the female chef was. Hopefully there's going to be more fun depictions of transvestites and transgenders to be disgusted with!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just one world noble: Doflamingo.

You mean... D. Oflamingo? :c00lbert:

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
"Sanji, why are you so chivalrous?"

"Because my mentor beat his employees and refused to hire women."

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Could someone give me a good idea about how haki works? It's not a Devil Fruit only power, but it seems like it works in a way that can gently caress with Fruit users if they are attacked with it. Is it kind of a power level DBZ kinda thing?

It's psychic powers. You can use tactile telekinesis to harden your skin or deflect blows, known as 'Colour of Armament'. This also lets you hit a DF user's 'real body'.
You can sense the presence of other minds or sometimes listen to them and preempt attacks in combat ('Colour of Observation'). A few special individuals can use a third kind of Haki to project their charisma and make weak willed people faint, foaming at the mouth, or attract people to their location when fighting other such gifted individuals. This is 'Colour of the Conquering King' Haki.

There is a wiki about that stuff.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 6, 2016

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
haki lets luffy belly blow enemies out of the grand line this is a literary force for good

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tsob posted:

On the other hand he was obviously growing tired and exasperated with doing that and had no reason to suspect stabbing the bloated balloon man wouldn't work in his favor.

He was obviously more tired than Luffy was, wheezing more and sweating. He outright admitted he was on his last legs and was getting angry at the fact Luffy and Nami were doing goofy poo poo to out maneuver his broken rear end devil fruit.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Non-Newtonion at will even! He can harden himself with haki whenever he wants, and right now he's extra squishy.

He goes from shear thinning to shear thickening through force of will? Kind of makes you think there's a lot more to his power than just being 'rubber'.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jose posted:

lol at the translation. twat was an interesting word choice

in the context of refusing to hire women because he can't hit them like his male employees it actually fit.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

anime was right posted:

i actually wonder what the criteria are for conqueror haki, we only have like 3 confirmed Ds and 1-2 celestial dragons with it out of 9 people total (though several people we can assume have it).

Maybe it has something to do with the Lineage Factor, since you have to be born with it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Say Nothing posted:

He goes from shear thinning to shear thickening through force of will? Kind of makes you think there's a lot more to his power than just being 'rubber'.

The answer is Haki

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

There are lots of random people who can use Conquerers, like Rayleigh and Don Chinjao. It was mentioned by Chinjao that one day all the conquerors will meet at the end of the grandline to clash, which is probably the zame war Whitebeard mentioned to Sengoku before he died. Honestly after seeing Shirahoshi is an ancient weapon, it's not too crazy to say conquerer's haki is linked to the mysterious third weapon.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Spidder posted:

It's psychic powers. You can use tactile telekinesis to harden your skin or deflect blows, known as 'Colour of Armament'. This also lets you hit a DF user's 'real body'.
You can sense the presence of other minds or sometimes listen to them and preempt attacks in combat ('Colour of Observation'). A few special individuals can use a third kind of Haki to project their charisma and make weak willed people faint, foaming at the mouth, or attract people to their location when fighting other such gifted individuals. This is 'Colour of the Conquering King' Haki.

There is a wiki about that stuff.

Armament haki can't be tactile telekinesis because people using it don't constantly shout about how they're using their armament haki.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Wild thought: kidd was one of the supernovas orignally planned. Do you think his awakened magnetism power could make the grandline navigatable and show the way to Raftel without needing the 4 road glyphs?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Haki is easy to understand, it's neither chakra nor ki, you could still run out. A tough fight can sap you of your will to fight, then your haki gets weaker. Any random rear end in a top hat can tap into haki, it happens all the time in their universe. Most people mistake it for luck. Like when Zoro took out the Baroque Works guy who's body was made of blades, he did it by having a flash of haki at the right moment.

Sub Harrison posted:

Wild thought: kidd was one of the supernovas orignally planned. Do you think his awakened magnetism power could make the grandline navigatable and show the way to Raftel without needing the 4 road glyphs?

How would he even know the princess is in another castle One Piece is on another island? He'll reach the end of the road, find a giant rock with hieroglyphics on it, call bullshit on Gold Roger, and live the rest of his life never knowing.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
D was explicitly stated as the will to go against the celestial dragons, it is the devil to the celestial dragon's god

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wait was it explicitly ever mentioned that kidd lost an arm because he lost to big mom?

did he lose the arm from the roulette?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we've never seen apoo's legs post timeskip in the manga, have we?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

wait was it explicitly ever mentioned that kidd lost an arm because he lost to big mom?

did he lose the arm from the roulette?

It's only been implied, so we don't know anything other than that he bit off more than he could chew harrasing Big Mom at some point.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Last Celebration posted:

It's only been implied, so we don't know anything other than that he bit off more than he could chew harrasing Big Mom at some point.

this is the first time that thought connected in my head fsr. even though it should have been obvious when the whole "kidd lost to mom" thing came up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Luffy had to bust out Gear 4 and took like two days to beat biscuit guy with Nami's help, so it's more likely that one of her subordinates did it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Last Celebration posted:

Luffy had to bust out Gear 4 and took like two days to beat biscuit guy with Nami's help, so it's more likely that one of her subordinates did it.

At this rate, the fight between Luffy and Blackbeard will take a literal month, accompanied by comedic napping in-between bouts of fighting.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

anime was right posted:

the best moment of this chapter is when nami said "any complaints?" btw

This is true.

Baron La Croix posted:

Yeah that was weird.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Remember that Luffy is a Goku, so he'll just digest all that food as soon as it's necessary.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
haki = chakra from naruto with different flavors. instead of "wind" its "harder skin" and instead of "fire" its "dodge better". it was just a way to introduce a power gap that could be closed and make fights more interesting, not some long term play on the concept of "will" and "altering reality"

its one of the major missteps oda's made in the overall structure of the story but its pretty ignorable most of the time

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Baron La Croix posted:

I liked the "only people who ever showed me any kindness until Zeff were women" theory.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

haki = chakra from naruto with different flavors. instead of "wind" its "harder skin" and instead of "fire" its "dodge better". it was just a way to introduce a power gap that could be closed and make fights more interesting, not some long term play on the concept of "will" and "altering reality"

its one of the major missteps oda's made in the overall structure of the story but its pretty ignorable most of the time
I'm wondering if it's also a way for Luffy to achieve Gear 4. He needed some way to compress and manipulate his body into that grotesque form. What came first in Oda's mind, haki or Gear 4?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

haki was pretty clearly being set up for a while before we ever had a name for it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Going back to Cracker being an idiot in the fight. He really should have gone after Nami after she started weakening his soldiers. He would not be stopped by the card.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MonsterEnvy posted:

Going back to Cracker being an idiot in the fight. He really should have gone after Nami after she started weakening his soldiers. He would not be stopped by the card.

luffy probably protected her

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I'm sure leaving himself open to Luffy who is very ready to clown on him the moment he has a chance is a good idea.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's not like she's completely helpless either, and while she probably can't defeat him she could at least make him work for it. He'd probably have trouble even reaching her given her position and unwilling army.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah and Nami was just standing there in the open, not protected by anyone and completely incapable of fighting back at all. I don't know why Cracker didn't just calmly walk over and stab her instead of fighting Luffy.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Begemot posted:

Yeah and Nami was just standing there in the open, not protected by anyone and completely incapable of fighting back at all. I don't know why Cracker didn't just calmly walk over and stab her instead of fighting Luffy.

probably because cracker had to get through Luffy first to do that, and Luffy was taking up all his attention, Cracker should read the one piece manga to get tips on how to beat people...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

key party favors posted:

probably because cracker had to get through Luffy first to do that, and Luffy was taking up all his attention, Cracker should read the one piece manga to get tips on how to beat people...

Lol

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Begemot posted:

Nami had the defense of her Homies. How's Cracker going to get through that?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I like haki.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Sub Harrison posted:

I like haki.

I agree. it's a fun narrative trick that fits in nicely to One Piece. I don't get why so many people have a chip on their shoulder over it..

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sarcophallus posted:

Nami had the defense of her Homies. How's Cracker going to get through that?

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Haha that was a great fight and a brilliant end! Luffy showing tactics is new, though.