Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

if I had the rear end for them you better believe I'd be wearing tights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I have a tight twink body, I'm lifting to fix that. I feel like wearing tights would do nothing but contribute to the problem

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Be proud of your tight twink body

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Garrand posted:

So what's the deal with hoodies in the gym? It's a classic image at this point but is there actual logic to wearing a hoodie while training in a gym?

I wear one because i like the extra padding when doing squats.

Also it’s cold out, son

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Grump posted:

Also it’s cold out, son

Exactly why I'm wearing tights. It's cold, I'm showering at home anyway, might as well wear an extra layer that also makes my rear end look fantastic.

Also, why is it I can leg press/squat press 600 some odd pounds, and squat over 300 in that weird cage squat machine but am stuck around 285 on normal squats? It can't all be posterior chain bullshit, can it?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those things are easier

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Exactly why I'm wearing tights. It's cold, I'm showering at home anyway, might as well wear an extra layer that also makes my rear end look fantastic.

Also, why is it I can leg press/squat press 600 some odd pounds, and squat over 300 in that weird cage squat machine but am stuck around 285 on normal squats? It can't all be posterior chain bullshit, can it?

Depends on the angle of the sled but you're only pressing a sin(theta) factor of the weight minus body weight resistance in a leg press. So 600 lb in a 45 degree sled, you're only working against 425 and no body weight. If you weigh about 150 that's about equivalent to your squat.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 8, 2018

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
swole math

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Depends on the angle of the sled but you're only pressing a sin(theta) factor of the weight minus body weight resistance in a leg press. So 600 lb in a 45 degree sled, you're only working against 425 and no body weight. If you weigh about 150 that's about equivalent to your squat.

What about at horizontal?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fallows posted:

What about at horizontal?

You mean like with cables? If the weight goes straight up it's 1:1, plus whatever resistance from friction the machine adds.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I've made about 6lbs of lentil and bean stew last Sunday and been eating that the whole time. I have hardly pooped this week, help.
Also I increased my calorie amount to 2400 because I was loosing too much weight per week.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

dads friend steve posted:

I have a tight twink body

*slides in from offscreen*

WELL, hello there

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Tights are good. You can wear a baggy long shirt to help cover your crotch and baggy shirt plus tights is a good comfy feeling. I don't usually wear them for upper days, but honestly I think "they are comfy" is a good enough reason if someone else wants to. Plus the better thicker ones don't really show poo poo to begin with.

Can you list the things that are okay to wear that don't challenge your views on gender too much, dennis?

edit: I'm guessing deadlift dresses are out

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 8, 2018

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
lol if you don't tape your junk back towards your taint and wear a wig and makeup when you do legs :rolleyes:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

Sleeping in a pair of compression tights after a rough leg day feels well good. I recommend it.

This sounds like a good idea, I rotated SLDLs back into my routine and it took me ten minutes to lower myself onto the toilet seat this morning

dads friend steve posted:

I have a tight twink body, I'm lifting to fix that. I feel like wearing tights would do nothing but contribute to the problem

:smith::hf::smith:

sup fellow twink body haver, I'd tell you It Gets Better but random dudes have started conversations with me way more often in the last six months than random girls because now I'm just getting to slightly fat ottermode

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 8, 2018

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Since we're walking leg press what makes this kind of plate loaded press better or worse than say a typical sled?

I really like it, feels almost hack squat-ish, I feel like I can go deeper with it than a sled and get more ham/glute action and have it less quad dominant.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Damnit, I didn't sign up for math in my lifts!

Chief McHeath posted:

Since we're walking leg press what makes this kind of plate loaded press better or worse than say a typical sled?

I really like it, feels almost hack squat-ish, I feel like I can go deeper with it than a sled and get more ham/glute action and have it less quad dominant.

I'm not sure the actual mechanics of it, but I've been told that these types of press machines are better for taller people and when you're all the way down it doesn't put as much pressure on your lumbar region.

I like it better than the typical sled ones, too. Feels way better.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
lmao just put more plates on you fuckin nerds

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there a reason to leg press instead of squat if you're not trying doing a bodybuilding competition?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
If you need more pressing but your lumbar can’t take more squatting.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sounds like you need to work your back so you can do more squatting.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I wish that is all that is needed, some disc injuries can't be worked around.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

Is there a reason to leg press instead of squat if you're not trying doing a bodybuilding competition?

I have a lot of nerve damage in my lower legs (ankles) and basically can not balance well enough to do a proper squat. I like the sled.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Leg Press can still help you get stronger and nicer legs.

Yeah, I love free weights, but machines can be great too. It's not all or nothing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dilber posted:

Leg Press can still help you get stronger and nicer legs.

Yeah, I love free weights, but machines can be great too. It's not all or nothing.

My workout is about 75% free weights, 25% machines. Feels good.

Maybe 80/20.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GORDON posted:

I have a lot of nerve damage in my lower legs (ankles) and basically can not balance well enough to do a proper squat. I like the sled.

Yah definitely if you have an injury or something.

Just seems if there's nothing really wrong with you just do the squat.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

Yah definitely if you have an injury or something.

Just seems if there's nothing really wrong with you just do the squat.

Zero nerve conduction at my ankles, and my poor calves are atrophied. Looks stupid. :(

But I don't care. I still lift more than most of them.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

You could cut your legs off and look like that badass dude with prosthesis.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like the leg press because some days my back is sore from being tall and sitting in public transport

plus my legs are much stronger than my back and its nice to keep them strong while i'm working on my back strength

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

I do leg press to get more sets in :getin:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

You could cut your legs off and look like that badass dude with prosthesis.

I saw that pic and wondered how the gently caress he works his thighs with nothing past that joint... Whatever he does could possibly help me.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It’s a bunch of setups with ropes and sleeves. Also leg press

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't visualize any way to work my calves when I can only wiggle my foot at the ankle a little, and my toes not at all.

So I do the squat sled, and swim on the off days.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have the thighs and rear end of a much younger man. FYI.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

GORDON posted:

I have the thighs and rear end of a much younger man. FYI.

What's his name?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

What's his name?

ha HA!

I knew I set that one up.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Why do so many guys wear tights to the gym? Those skin-tight chino ones. They usually wear like compression shorts, and athletic shorts over them. Some of them look like it took 20 minutes to get dressed for the gym.
Then these dudes just do normal upper body work like everyone else. Why wear tights? Is there some advantage to wearing tights to the gym as a man?

Because I need to show off my legs and rear end

Feels like im wearing nothing at all

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 9, 2018

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
NOTHIN AT ALL

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Those 2xu tights are absolutely worth every penny btw, and they have a medical grade/classification so insurance companies will pay for them if your doctor says you need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

if you're gassed on squats you can probably still leg press and with more weight, it's the same as any other accessory exercise