Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

getting Dreamcast that x-mas eve when they were all sold out is one of my most cherished childhood moments. Those were some good days there playing Powerstone and Sonic. Do y'all remember that x-mas rush? It was insane

I was pissed I never got to dabble online. Really wanted to play Phantasy Star. I spent more hours than I care to share trying to connect via those free internet services (net zero I think?)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Put a few hours into Monster Hunter World. It’s not for me. Too repetitive/grindy.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
What's a good racing game on the PS4 that is decent enough with only controllers and has local multiplayer?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CMD598 posted:

Man I've felt like the only one who remembers Primal Rage for so long...

wasn't that on a ps1 demo cd?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

getting Dreamcast that x-mas eve when they were all sold out is one of my most cherished childhood moments. Those were some good days there playing Powerstone and Sonic. Do y'all remember that x-mas rush? It was insane

I was pissed I never got to dabble online. Really wanted to play Phantasy Star. I spent more hours than I care to share trying to connect via those free internet services (net zero I think?)

I played Phantasy Star Online a poo poo ton. We figured out how to dupe stuff and I was space rich from selling end game weapons to people. Game was a ton of fun coop and it even had friends lists and stuff which was new for consoles back then.

I also had Seaman which was a weird pet with an Asian face that I never really figured out. He mostly just kind of sat around and looked like a frog or something.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

What's a good racing game on the PS4 that is decent enough with only controllers and has local multiplayer?

Driveclub probably. Maybe GT Sport

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I also had Seaman which was a weird pet with an Asian face that I never really figured out. He mostly just kind of sat around and looked like a frog or something.

lol that game was so random and creepy. Didn't it drop some weird sexual euphemisms and poo poo? Hell it was all random

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dreamcast is the 2nd best console ever made

it was a rad system and i loved it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

idk if I fully buy into the easy "softhack" for bootleg/CD-R games killing it. I mean, that seemed to come much later in its life

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
you know what came shortly after the dreamcast was released?

the ps2.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

idk if I fully buy into the easy "softhack" for bootleg/CD-R games killing it. I mean, that seemed to come much later in its life

ps2 having DVD playback was prolly the biggest killer

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

the gently caress I need DVD when I got zip drives bro? (Yes I don't think it ever released)

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/07/04/what-unreleased-accessories-can-tell-us-about-an-alternative-future-for-the-dreamcast/

I completely forgot about the DVD part. The Dreamcast DVD player they showed was likely just a non-functioning shell, yeah

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
sega is the land of a lot of failures (warranted or not) but my favorite is the 32x. i never played one, but man i wanted one.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

boop the snoot posted:

sega is the land of a lot of failures (warranted or not) but my favorite is the 32x. i never played one, but man i wanted one.

I got one for like$50 at a KB Toys and it still probably wasn't worth that much

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Doom on 32x only had like half the Monster sprites so they'd always be facing you, and whenever I finished the first episode it would dump me out to a command prompt and so the game was basically unfinished it was really cool

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

outside of the genesis Sega consoles were always those unattainable 50000000000 ticket items you'd see and ogle over at the top shelf of one of those Chuck E Cheese type places. Also that rich kid up the street had one but his parents never let anyone over

There used to be a local Sega City, I think it was called. Just a huge gently caress off classic early 90s arcade. loving owned. Sega Thursday or some poo poo was $10 for unlimited gaming all night

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I had a bunch of terrible Sega CD games like jurrasic park and the sewer rat one where you had to shoot things on the screen and remember the directions or you died.

Then again the Sega CD version of Ecco the Dolphin was one of my favorite games growing up. So it wasn't all bad.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Streets of Rage series probably burnt up 6 months total of my childhood.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

boop the snoot posted:

wasn't that on a ps1 demo cd?

I had it on Genesis. Still might, actually.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ps2 having DVD playback was prolly the biggest killer

Also one of the best video game commercials ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj74k4wu3-U

Edit: The other best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VOM7e5Hug

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 6, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I bought a Dreamcast like two years after it was dead and bought a ton of games for it. Despite selling off most of my retro stuff, I'm holding onto that and my psone with the screen till I croak.

Still wish Microsoft went with the original plan of making DC games backwater compatible with the Xbox.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dreamcast emulation is still kinda bodgy tbh

demul is my go-to but it's a weird system like the n64 in terms of this stuff

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I loved phantasy star online, put a lot of hours into it on the DC. In college I found out there was a privately run server for the PC version so I put even more time into it. I like the simple but frantic combat style but the best thing was the overall aesthetic and design.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

mods change my name posted:

Doom on 32x only had like half the Monster sprites so they'd always be facing you, and whenever I finished the first episode it would dump me out to a command prompt and so the game was basically unfinished it was really cool

I bought a used 32x from a second hand game store at the same time I bought a genesis for like 50 bucks. I only ever had that Baja racing game and it was okay. Not worth buying a 32x by any stretch, though. And this was around the time that the SNES was on its last legs but before the N64.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Anyone play this?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/433530/Heliborne/?newsId=36899
It looks like it's extremely my poo poo. I loved playing Soviet and Nuclear Strike back in the day.

EDIT: Forgot a link.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 6, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
??? played what

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I was afraid thats what game you were going to say because I saw the comparisons.

Its really bad, first steam game I've refunded. It's mostly multiplayer and dead.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Aw gently caress. Oh well. They added a single player element that's just shoot at the AI, which I guess would be fun, but I'll wait till it's under ten bucks or if someone stumbles in to tell me the multi got reinvigorated.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I would like to play a more modern strike game with the isometric views again. Urban Strike had on foot missions that I remember being janky but other than that it was a really solid series, it's a shame that it had to die with the 90s.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Those games owned. Comanche 4 is probably going to be the closest you'll get to them on PC. It's not super simmy and it's full of action.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

get your freak on & re-enact world war 2 invasions. gog got the close combat game series & multiplayer appears to be working on them.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

the bug bit me again today

AI sends a rookie general with a full stack of the cheapest infantry...ooooooookay. My 2000 met their 7000 at the walls and I eke out a win.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Tell me about it. Skaven hell armies are loving with my tomb kings.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

get your freak on & re-enact world war 2 invasions. gog got the close combat game series & multiplayer appears to be working on them.

Hell loving yes

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

running over people with cars in pubg is hilariously fun. People get laser focused on the first car and dodge it to get plowed under by the other three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7es0xGSjCg

PookBear fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 7, 2018

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Who's excited for the Civ VI expansion dropping tomorrow?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

nobody

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:smith:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPC08cPGJw
Still the best civilization game event/still the best Civilization game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm debating picking it up. I feel like patches have made the game more tolerable for me and the expansion seems like a push in the right direction.

Still a ton of room for improvement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nick Soapdish posted:

Oh i'll have to check that out.