Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
OK OP I will stop trying to get a kiss and cuddle out of you but I'm serious about the dog picture I think you owe us the story behind it because it's like the Mona Lisa of avatars this is not a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im not real op. just another variable. you're being tested... tested for something great.. when we pull back the curtains you will see

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Do you know where they're going AND HOW THEY got there if you know this then you know where they go when the go they're going.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
who do you blame?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Cucking Mama posted:

who do you blame?

my grandfather!

Oh, you were asking him, not me. Whoops!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Your heat signature is exceedingly strong today

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

OK OP I will stop trying to get a kiss and cuddle out of you but I'm serious about the dog picture I think you owe us the story behind it because it's like the Mona Lisa of avatars this is not a troll.
someone bought it for me. that's all i know

Cucking Mama posted:

who do you blame?
i used to blame god-machine for everything, but it was just a displaced form of aggression against the universe. hating a universe you don't understand isn't as emotionally satisfying as hating a computer god

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
what's real homie??

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pansacola posted:

what's real homie??

The greatest question to ask a person with schizophrenia.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Is it contagious?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

butplug accident posted:

someone bought it for me. that's all i know

i used to blame god-machine for everything, but it was just a displaced form of aggression against the universe. hating a universe you don't understand isn't as emotionally satisfying as hating a computer god

Do you blame me? You seem to hate me, and I don't know why.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

redshirt posted:

I have a question about your avatar. Who is the woman in your picture? She's quite nice.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I have a question about your avatar. Who is the woman in your picture? She's quite nice.

Just another redshirt, man.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

redshirt posted:

Just another redshirt, man.

That means she's dead.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

That means she's dead.

What did she die of? That's quite sad really.

e: also what's behind your 'am i banned or not' avatar? is it saying that your posts are like... really edgy and that you should be banned but you're not, you're always walking that dangerous edge, because you're a maverick, something like that?

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2014

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

it's because of your armchair philosophy posts and that trhread where you argued at length about the matrix being really intellectual stuff

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?
Gypsum Fantastic is a really bad poster.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Have you considered that your childhood paranoia might have been a result of exceptional pattern-recognition abilities uncovering the subtle workings of the human social superorganism?

There are forces acting and directing us behind the scenes, after all. They're just not magical.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Why do you define yourself by your psychiatric label?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

What did she die of? That's quite sad really.

e: also what's behind your 'am i banned or not' avatar? is it saying that your posts are like... really edgy and that you should be banned but you're not, you're always walking that dangerous edge, because you're a maverick, something like that?

I made an avatar thread when GBS was crazy back in October. This was the winner. I have a few others saved. Got a better one?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

butplug accident posted:

it's because of your armchair philosophy posts and that trhread where you argued at length about the matrix being really intellectual stuff

Seems pretty shallow on your part. I'm just engaging GBS in good time fun laughs. Is that so wrong?

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

did you mean 20mg?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you refer to other schizophrenics as your 'schiggas'?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Ork of Fiction posted:

Have you considered that your childhood paranoia might have been a result of exceptional pattern-recognition abilities uncovering the subtle workings of the human social superorganism?

There are forces acting and directing us behind the scenes, after all. They're just not magical.
i do still think that history is shaped mainly by inhuman "objective" factors and that technology and culture has its own kind of meta-agency, and god-machine was an attempt to make sense of it all

keyvin posted:

Why do you define yourself by your psychiatric label?
i dont identify as a schizophrenic but it's a convenient label

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

did you mean 20mg?
no

Acquire Currency! posted:

Do you refer to other schizophrenics as your 'schiggas'?
i don't care to know anyone who is mentally ill even though i am so myself. maslow once said that "the study of crippled, stunted, immature, and unhealthy specimens can yield only a cripple psychology and a cripple philosophy", and i agree

isr
Jun 13, 2013
Did someone have to confront you about your delusions? If so, what was your initial response?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

isr posted:

Did someone have to confront you about your delusions? If so, what was your initial response?

I was gonna ask a jerk question, but this one is better.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

butplug accident posted:

i don't care to know anyone who is mentally ill even though i am so myself. maslow once said that "the study of crippled, stunted, immature, and unhealthy specimens can yield only a cripple psychology and a cripple philosophy", and i agree

Ah, so you don't have any pals, then?

(Just joking. Sort of. If you get rid of cripples, the stunted, immature or unhealthy, that doesn't leave much of humanity. And also sounds a little, um... Third Reichy. :godwin:)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
what happen when you put sleeping pill in cup of coffee?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
do the meds help? did you get therapy?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

butplug accident posted:

Ice

Cold

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Whose the best schizophrenic pop culture character? Biopics like A Beautiful Mind don't count.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
do you think I should undergo a procedure to remove the brain and install a computer into my head?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Wrageowrapper posted:

Whose the best schizophrenic pop culture character? Biopics like A Beautiful Mind don't count.

Trudy Wiegel Obv.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would you go off your meds if it made you better at posting in fyad?

If there was a girl who thought it made sex with you more exciting?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have you seen this dog?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Say Nothing posted:

Have you seen this dog?

yeah. he lives down stairs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Have you seen this dog?

you just posted a blank rectangle, what dog are you talkin about

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

isr posted:

i immediately realized i was delusional when i heard voices who commented on my life, but i was able to keep everything under wraps, except for a few bouts of depression, until i started college. my delusions at that point were very specific persecution anxieties such as one time i thought a leopold and loeb-style thrill kill cult had marked me for death, and a general fear of strangers who i was convinced would harm me if given the chance.

later my delusions became more and more abstract because i couldn't really convince myself that i was the focus of some conspiracy. i knew from day 1 that it made no sense at all that my parents or friends or random people would try to kill a nobody like me, but i just felt safer if i took precautions against sniper attacks etc "just in case".

when my delusions became completely abstract was when my parents noticed something was wrong. i slowly began to "see" that the world as such did not exist and that "reality" for most people meant nothing more than "the most repetitive aspects of human life". i saw that the universe as such was totally incompatible with normal human attitudes, and that nothing in society mattered in the least. i came to believe that everyone was a philosophical zombie and that all consciousness was illusory except for that of a kind of turing oracle (god-machine) computing every possible program whom everyone derived their own internal experiences from, and who could violate any natural law it wanted for any reason to explore various states of complexity in accordance to some search algorithm. all autonomous entities such as individuals, families, groups, organizations, cultures, even genes and the configuration of atoms were simply god-machine running a kind of eugenics algorithm trying to explore and increase complexity.

in my mind these ridiculous ideas explained everything from the nature of information, to human action from the level of gene expression to social groupings all the way to the level of state bureaucracy and cultural modes until nothing "human" remained, and all this mental rummaging took the energy out of me culminating into my falling into deep depression unable to feed or clothe myself. at that point my weird behavior had alienated all my old friends and my parents forced me to get professional help. i was immediately diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

DicktheCat posted:

Ah, so you don't have any pals, then?

(Just joking. Sort of. If you get rid of cripples, the stunted, immature or unhealthy, that doesn't leave much of humanity. And also sounds a little, um... Third Reichy. :godwin:)
i hang out with the kind people i want to be most like. i dont want to be a disorganized broken weirdo, so i hang out with cool, non-broken people.

crusader_complex posted:

do the meds help? did you get therapy?
yes i no longer hear voices or think people are going to kill me for no reason. i no longer feel ontologically fragmented or integrated into some machine, but the side-effects are annoying

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

butplug accident posted:

when my delusions became completely abstract was when my parents noticed something was wrong. i slowly began to "see" that the world as such did not exist and that "reality" for most people meant nothing more than "the most repetitive aspects of human life". i saw that the universe as such was totally incompatible with normal human attitudes, and that nothing in society mattered in the least

This is true though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

butplug accident posted:

i immediately realized i was delusional when i heard voices who commented on my life, but i was able to keep everything under wraps, except for a few bouts of depression, until i started college. my delusions at that point were very specific persecution anxieties such as one time i thought a leopold and loeb-style thrill kill cult had marked me for death, and a general fear of strangers who i was convinced would harm me if given the chance.

later my delusions became more and more abstract because i couldn't really convince myself that i was the focus of some conspiracy. i knew from day 1 that it made no sense at all that my parents or friends or random people would try to kill a nobody like me, but i just felt safer if i took precautions against sniper attacks etc "just in case".

when my delusions became completely abstract was when my parents noticed something was wrong. i slowly began to "see" that the world as such did not exist and that "reality" for most people meant nothing more than "the most repetitive aspects of human life". i saw that the universe as such was totally incompatible with normal human attitudes, and that nothing in society mattered in the least. i came to believe that everyone was a philosophical zombie and that all consciousness was illusory except for that of a kind of turing oracle (god-machine) computing every possible program whom everyone derived their own internal experiences from, and who could violate any natural law it wanted for any reason to explore various states of complexity in accordance to some search algorithm. all autonomous entities such as individuals, families, groups, organizations, cultures, even genes and the configuration of atoms were simply god-machine running a kind of eugenics algorithm trying to explore and increase complexity.

in my mind these ridiculous ideas explained everything from the nature of information, to human action from the level of gene expression to social groupings all the way to the level of state bureaucracy and cultural modes until nothing "human" remained, and all this mental rummaging took the energy out of me culminating into my falling into deep depression unable to feed or clothe myself. at that point my weird behavior had alienated all my old friends and my parents forced me to get professional help. i was immediately diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

i hang out with the kind people i want to be most like. i dont want to be a disorganized broken weirdo, so i hang out with cool, non-broken people.

yes i no longer hear voices or think people are going to kill me for no reason. i no longer feel ontologically fragmented or integrated into some machine, but the side-effects are annoying

talk to your doctor. You shouldn't be hearing any voices

• Locked thread