Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

A traumato sounds both tasty and painful.
I'm kind of surprised that it's not an actual pokemon yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Geemer posted:

This takes me back to when I first played a bootleg of Silver, before it got translated to English and came out in Europe. poo poo was terrifying and amazing at the same time.

Please tell me the menu blinked all the time and Tackle was called Hitstu.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Please tell me the menu blinked all the time and Tackle was called Hitstu.

It's been so long that I can genuinely not remember anymore. All I know is that I accidentally set it to be nighttime and got my rear end handed to me by a mistranslated owl (everything else was mistranslated too) before getting stuck on a wall of Engrish and decided that I was better off waiting for the actual release.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The sad part is that I can almost make sense of the Engrish. "Kartapy" and "Bidelu" actually almost sound like "Caterpie" and "Weedle" if you squint. Shado is an overly literal translation, too - or at least the first five letters of one. (Hitokage, Charmander's Japanese name, more or less translates to "fire darkness" with an added lizard pun thrown in)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Geemer posted:

It's been so long that I can genuinely not remember anymore. All I know is that I accidentally set it to be nighttime and got my rear end handed to me by a mistranslated owl (everything else was mistranslated too) before getting stuck on a wall of Engrish and decided that I was better off waiting for the actual release.

They give up translating later. Young me managed to play through Gold to the end with literally no dialogue and no ability to know what the pokemon I'd caught actually were.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
It sounds like if you defeat the four heavenly attendants and become Buddha, you gain sovereignty over the land. That sounds like a good goal to shoot for.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Despite not updating in about half a month, I am still doing this. I've just been busy with a lot of things recently. Hopefully I'll have something up this weekend.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Oak looks so pissed in old timey graphics.

Good thing this is starting up anew, I'll get to find out how the translators rendered attacks like 'STRING SHOT' and 'BIDE', one can only imagine.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
It's like a slightly more lucid version of Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal. This is gonna be a trip.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

KataraniSword posted:

The sad part is that I can almost make sense of the Engrish. "Kartapy" and "Bidelu" actually almost sound like "Caterpie" and "Weedle" if you squint. Shado is an overly literal translation, too - or at least the first five letters of one. (Hitokage, Charmander's Japanese name, more or less translates to "fire darkness" with an added lizard pun thrown in)

Oh, so that's where the human shadow thing came from. They just parsed it as hito, space, kage. Makes Charmander sound like some eldritch thing out of Ico.

This translation really seems much better at getting meaning across than VC, so I was worried this would be boring. But then it stumbles on something idiomatic or even slightly more complicated than basic grammar and the magic happens. I'll be following this. :allears:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I felt like VC actually made too little sense, to the point where it was more like stringing random words together in an "i'm 12 and nonsense is funny monkay bathrub cheddar" way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There were places where you could see how VC got to its end result - drug bag gently caress is hilarious *because* you can sort of see how they got to that point - but yeah, a lot of it was just nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Geemer posted:

This takes me back to when I first played a bootleg of Silver, before it got translated to English and came out in Europe. poo poo was terrifying and amazing at the same time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers the Vida Translations version of Silver

• Locked thread