Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

This isn't just any Let's Play of Pokemon Green. We are playing Bootleg Green, which is a poorly translated bootleg of the original Green version. For those who are familiar with Pokemon Vietnemese Crystal, this game is pretty similar. There was a Let's Play done of VC by Epee Em back in 2011.

This Let's Play won't show everything in this game, mainly just the things I found funny or people we have to talk to. There will be thread interaction in the form of naming. There is a lot of typos in this game (obviously), but not all of them are related to typical bad translation. Often, there are a too many spaces, no spaces, and cut off words that are continued on the next line. For the most part, I will just auto correct those if they aren't in an image.

Thread Rules

1) Spoilers are fine. Pokemon games aren't exactly known for mind blowing plots. Besides, almost everyone has played Red/Blue/Yellow/Fire Red/Leaf Green. Even if they haven't, they likely won't be able learn the story in this thread anyway.

2) Follow the normal Lets Play Thread Rules.

Table of Contents

Part 1

Part 2

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Reserved

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Hm. Let's have quick dialogue speed and pass on the cartoons. The cartoon was never as good as the games after all.

Much better.

o the world of pocket monster! My name is Aochider I was called. Dr. Pet was loved and esteemed by us all!

called as pocket monsters live in every corner! The creature named PET was treated as a pet to take part in the competition! And I'm doing the study of this pet. That is all.

Dr. Aochider seems rather defensive. What is he hiding?

The first thread choice! What do we call the protagonist? There is a character limit of 5. We can use upper case or lower case letters. There are no other symbols.

For just the first update, I'm going to be using GREEN.

Either your paly partner or your opponent. Well? W

Also a thread choice. The same restrictions as the protagonist apply.

ed RED

Again, using a default name for now.

am and adventure! Go to the world of pocket monster! Go!

And it begins!

..., ..., Ok! It's time to go out for a walk!

picked up!

It appears we have no items to consign. Lets change that!

I takeaway a wound cure, which may be helpful for the first rival battle.

to travel whenever he likes. H'm! ...... It is said in TV! Ah, yes! Dr. Aochider living in next door came to call you!

If I were stronger, I also can replace guard.

Unfortunately, this girl isn't stronger yet, so she can't replace our current guard. :smith:

s a primary colour

:allears:

re RED of elder brother, . you are in the institute of grandpa.

re you happy if it was stolen by us?

Green is kind of a prick.

Dr. Aochider has another name I guess.

anything because Dr. Aochider is an authoritatvie person on PET! But many PET TRAINER still respect Dr. Aochider!

What is Dr. Okada up to? He was defensive in the beginning, and now this. His assistants are tight lipped, so we won't get anything more from them.

e! ...... ...... ...... Foster PET stronger! Fight, contest! Trainer! Here call together the strongest Trainer! The place is the headquarter of PET alliance society in Park quartz! Dr. Auchyder, have a visit, please!

3 names is further evidence of the suspicious nature of Dr. Auchyder.

t now! The wild PET run out from the grass! You can let PET have a try if here there is PET but ...... wait for OK, follow me!

Of course, Green doesn't wait for the OK.

ry tired!
Aochider: Is it RED? ...... ...... Ah, really? I'm shouting! Wait a movement! Ah, GREEN! Are there 3 PET? Ha, ha! There conceals PET in the monster ball! I was famous PET TRAINER for my excellence! But now PET is old, only exists three s. Give you one! ...... Select please!
Red: Ah! How sly! Grandpa! Also give me one!
Aochider: H'm! Don't be anxious RED! Select one you like!

I'm not greedy for food! GREEN firstly I should make great efforts to be chosen out!

RED eats PETS it seems.

Oh no, a philosophy question!!

Another one!

Alright, I'll need the thread's help with this.

a) Flame PET is there also a shadow of human figure?

b) The PET stepped on the water is dependent on the tortoise?

c) An unimaginable seed of a plant PET. Will it do?

The votes are all are due August 9th at 4 PM EST. Naming our starting PET will happen once we reach the Name Rater.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 8, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well, I've always been dependent on tortoises in my day-to-day life so let's go with Squirtle TORTO.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god this is hilarious already. I hope it lives up to Vietnamese Crystal.

Also, about the pets...the unimaginable seed of a plant PET will not do. Also I doubt a PET stepped on the water is dependent on the tortoise. However, there are clearly shadows of human figures. As such, you should choose the flame PET, Shado.

I was trying to screw up translations to get names for our hero and rival but no dice, someone else do it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ah, I still remember my first ever time playing Pokemon as a kid with my prized Bulbasaur INCON

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Shadows!

Name: Gouri.

Caros
May 14, 2008

This is going to turn out to have some weird glitch at the endgame that tells me the date of my death isn't it. :(

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Caros posted:

This is going to turn out to have some weird glitch at the endgame that tells me the date of my death isn't it. :(

What do you think this is, my good chum? A creepypasta? This a totally legit copy of Pokemon Green. :colbert:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Keep the hero and rival's names, but pick the the true self, and name it Shado.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"you are in the institute of grandpa"
Isn't that the truth...

Call the character Bees
Call the rival Wasps.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I say we go for unimaginable plant seed Inconnu.

Hartseeker
May 24, 2009

Strap one on, it's time to jam!

Yeah, no. Not going to make the obvious joke on that. Instead, I'll just be contrary and say we should go with TORTA.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I imagine :psyduck: and its sibling smilies are going to get a good workout here. Hopefully the game just has a godawful translation and isn't a glitchy hellscape like Vietnamese Crystal was.

With the gems of madness we've already seen, I feel that this is going to be the most appropriate .gif for this thread.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Shado

Name the player Budz. Or Lunk.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, I hope we'll get to see some more Volcano Bakemeat.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
For to increase versimilitude of picture box, boy prime designate Coal do, also boy second designate Acorn do.

True, is also a Shado of human figure.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This can only end wonderfully. :allears:

It seems that examining the shadow of human figure is all the rage for video games these days, first Spec Ops, now Pokemon! :v:

I didn't have an opinion on the name when I started typing this, but between that joke and how schizophrenic the game will surely seem I'm thinking Walker is a good name for our protagonist. Accordingly, our rival shall be Konrad. E: My idea blows, Butz it is, with rival YBurn.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 9, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yapping Eevee posted:

I imagine :psyduck: and its sibling smilies are going to get a good workout here. Hopefully the game just has a godawful translation and isn't a glitchy hellscape like Vietnamese Crystal was.

With the gems of madness we've already seen, I feel that this is going to be the most appropriate .gif for this thread.

To be fair, Epee Em turned on a bunch of gameshark codes and VC was a glitchy hellscape because of it. So long as we don't bother with codes, the game can reasonably look sane.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Let us take the burning human shadow in grim commemoration of the atrocity of Hiroshima, which had its 70th anniversary a couple days ago, and call it Hiro.

Let us be named Budz, for we are heroic, and our nasty rival Enola , for the Enola Gay, the plane that dropped the bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XJ2GiR6Bo

:japan: :911:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Anyone LPing Infocom's Trinity?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Human shadow figure thing to have fun against the first two Gyms.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Call the character Bees
Call the rival Wasps.

Also, TORTA.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ghostwoods posted:

Let us take the burning human shadow in grim commemoration of the atrocity of Hiroshima, which had its 70th anniversary a couple days ago, and call it Hiro.

I mentioned this at the end of the post, but I'm going to hold off on naming our starter PET until we get to the name rater, as we should take the time to get to know it first.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 8, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Let's Play Pokémon Bootleg Green: White is a primary colour.

Definitely the shadow of the human figure.

The hero's name is Butz

The rival's name is Yburn.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Junpei Hyde posted:

Let's Play Pokémon Bootleg Green: White is a primary colour.

Definitely the shadow of the human figure.

The hero's name is Butz

You're close, but a minor change is needed.

Shadow of the human figure

The hero is Butz

Rival is XDeth

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

AlphaKretin posted:

I didn't have an opinion on the name when I started typing this, but between that joke and how schizophrenic the game will surely seem I'm thinking Walker is a good name for our protagonist. Accordingly, our rival shall be Konrad. E: My idea blows, Butz it is, with rival YBurn.

Quoting vote change in case you're counting as you go.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

The hero's name is Butz

This has my vote, but go for the unimaginable seed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Voting is now closed.

Flame PET is also a shadow of human figure

The protagonist's name is Butz, and the rival's name is Yburn.

Before I post the update proper, I'm going to show the naming screen, which is also pretty special.

You may notice the P2 on the bottom left. You can change it to P1.

Like so. It doesn't seem to do anything though.

The cursor is on end button here. It seems to be written in some strange alien script.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think in the original game that was a button to toggle between two Japanese scripts, or between letters and symbols in English.

Apparently they gave both pages the same letters in this bootleg, so all it does is change the possible Missingno encounters.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

And we are back, born again as Butz. Before moving on, let's check out that poster behind Auchyder.

write seriously and works hard, that is enough.

That's deep.

and very good!

from Aochider

No, we can't make such an important decision so quickly. The thread will vote on a name when we are about to go through rock tunnel.

Yburn has receiv TORTO from Aochider!

Let's take a moment here to look at our SHADO.

It looks like we will need 44 additives to reach level 6.

Let's check out our trainer information while we are here.

For whatever reason, they never bothered to fully translate the trainer card, which is still half in katakana. Also notice we have 3000 yen.

difficult for me to get PET from grandpa! ....... Act as my opponent!

enge! Yburn

ee your back while competing intensley!

:hist101: To assail!

From this point on, for all battles, I'm not going to cover each turn, just some notable things in the fight.

Torto eventually uses his other move, go all out.

falls down!

And with a lucky hit home, Torto almost makes us use a wound cure.

an experience value! SHADO

Yburn!

t's so good for your PET!

And Yburn pays us in US dollars.

PET first! You'll get stronger and stronger! Butz! Grandpa! Then, bye-bye.

Well, it looks like its time to leave White City and make our way to Evergreen City.

Our first enounter!

This is Bobo's only move at this level.

It was still enough to really hurt Shado. though.

re, It's a convenient prop shop. Next time when you come to the evergreen city welcome you to have a look agian! Oh, yes! Give you the sample ....! Please!

Fortunately, this clerk of the friendship store gives us a wound cure!

We encounter our first Kelar

And now we are Evergreen.

For PET, except for strength, has source of vigorous force to show trick. The gist of force, it is the gist of force for trick. When hasn't it, order them have a rest in centre PET!

Resting in centre PET sounds like a good idea.

Wait, can we use cash? Let's ask the customer to the right.

whichever city has it! Check free!

Phew. Check free. Alright, lets do this.

of PET recovered his strength. Do you deposit t

Ah, sorry to have let you waiting so long! My deposited PET. How strong all of you are! Welcome coming once more!

rner ..... has already warned the girl attendant on the service desk. Very zeal, do you think so?

Yeah, now that is a computer that takes it's job seriously.

really is PET! It is convinent whenever PET deposit or draw, can do freely

een is the colour of green forever

Hey look, the thread title!

of persons who are bored of PET. Do

It will OK if it's so!

Kartapy hasn't any poison but has more poison than Bidelu does! Be careful not to be stung by PET!

There isn't too much interesting in here, except for the 4th page of this girl's notebook.

of PET TRAINER is strong TRAINER in every gym, who has hit down 8 persons! And, .... is no more stronger in the headquarters of alliance PET! The sovereignty rights are hold in the hands of the Buddha's 4 warrior attendants! Girl: Ah! Don't peep the notebook!

Going to Park Quartz and taking on the Buddha's 4 warrior attendants sounds nice. Let's try it sometime.

Good to know.

o me! .... Hi! Don't go there! I've said it to you!

You sure did.

out it that you sleep here! Only waiting you to dispel the effects of alcohol.

Since we can't get past here, we might as well go do what we are supposed to and go to the friendship store.

ity?

entrusted. Can you transmit it for me? Butz has checked the postal parcel from the shop!

oks like selling out.

opolize antidote!

The friendship store seems to have some shady management.

I think this is a nice note to stop on for today. The next part will be up within the next couple of days.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I like how you delegate the PETs when you go to fight. Pokemon Bootleg Green: Because everything needs more middle management.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Translating "Tenno" (conventionally heavenly king) as "Buddha's warrior attendant", apart from being the the normal kind of hilarious and making me want to pop over to the Warframe thread in Games, strikes me as slightly theologically inaccurate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Yburn is incredibly polite in comparison to his well-translated counterpart. He accepts that it's hard for him to accept a gift from his grandpa, congratulates your PET, encourages you to grow stronger and stronger, and then leaves with a nice "bye-bye" instead of a smug "smell ya later". I think I even like him.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I'm most amazed of all by the sudden bursts of lucidity. "Don't let the opponent see your back while competing intensely!" is very solid advice.

It sure would suck to take down the Buddha's 4 warrior attendants only to learn Yburn has become Buddha before us.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wait, sparrows are twittering "baa, baa"?
*shudder*

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A traumato sounds both tasty and painful.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We should have called the main character Bates.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I've been teaching my kid wrong all this time! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This takes me back to when I first played a bootleg of Silver, before it got translated to English and came out in Europe. poo poo was terrifying and amazing at the same time.

• Locked thread